PDA

View Full Version : GJO Webserver...

Figrin D'an
Mar 27th, 2004, 07:54:25 PM
... has exceeded it's bandwidth limit?

what the hell?!

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Edit: Additionally, I'm going to sort through and start getting rid of the excess crap on there. 10-20 megs for car movies that've been on there for months is a gross abuse of the server, IMO.

Estelle Russard
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:33:03 PM
car movies?

Figrin D'an
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:50:30 PM
Marcus... he still has access to the GJO webserver, because it hosts his Lost Jedi stuff, and he uploads his silly car movies to the server for others to download. And he forgets that they're there.

I've deleted them all. We'll see if he says something.

Estelle Russard
Mar 27th, 2004, 11:29:47 PM
ah, okey-dokey-smokey :)

Morgan Evanar
Mar 28th, 2004, 01:06:05 AM
I doubt they're eating bandwith if they're taking up space.

Figrin D'an
Mar 28th, 2004, 01:17:43 AM
Probably not. But they don't need to be on there, either.

The bandwidth thing confuses me, though. Either something on there has been getting an insane number of hits, or the bill hasn't been paid.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:31:29 AM
I have no idea. I hardly use it.

Master Yoghurt
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:42:29 PM
Sorry about this guys..

What happened was, I have a monthly allocated bandwidth of 4.5GB for the webserver. For the last few months, we have only been using about 1GB per month. So no worry I thought. I did not see any reason to login to control panel this month. We were way under allocated limit..

Anyway, it turns out the site bandwidth tracker has been reporting wrong numbers sometime during this month. It says 4.7GB, thus the allocated bandwidth of the site was exceeded and the site automatically closed down.

I am 100% sure, we have not used 4.7GB. There are 2 other bandwidth trackers in the controlpanel, "webalizer" and "avstats" saying 1GB for march month, which is about normal. Also checking the specific file use, nothing indicates such a sudden jump in usage. The main tracker even tracks the wrong disk usage. It says 6MB when its really 160MB, lol..

So you can imagine, I was quite surprised and annoyed about this. I reported this to my hosting provider, saying hey, we have not been using anywhere NEAR that amount. The main tracker is giving out wrong numbers! This must be a bug related to the recent upgrade to the new cPanel version.. etc etc.

However, I received no response to my support ticket or my post in the support forums. I suspect they are ignoring me... hmmm.. time for thinking about changing to another service? Quite possibly.

Anyway, I will monitor our bandwidth use from now on and make sure it wont happen again.

Figrin D'an
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:14:15 PM
wow... that's a pretty major bug.

We'll leave it in you capable hands though, Yog. Maybe we should consider looking around for a new host for the GJO website, just to be safe.

Figrin D'an
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:52:55 PM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35090

uh-huh...

:verymad

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:36:38 AM
:: pat pat ::

:)

:shootin Marcus tho for good measure :D