PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith - without Jay or Silent Bob?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:14:52 PM
Jersey Girl opens this weekend...

It's PG... It doesn't star any of the characters that have featured in his other five movies.

Will it succeed or bomb!?

I think ...Actually I have no opinion. I'm interested in seeing it, however.

Other movies that open this weekend:

Ladykillers : wanna see!!!
Scooby Doo 2: eh....
Never Die Alone: um...no.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:26:36 PM
As much as I love Kevin Smith's previous work, Jersey Girl strikes me as be very derivative. He wanted to do a father/daughter story, which is great, but it doesn't seem to bring anything new or refreshing to the genre, nor have any of his signature wit (no, not the potty humor, I'm talking about the cleverness of his previous scripts.)

Maybe I'm wrong. I kind of hope so. My impressions from the trailers and commercials thusfar have been lackluster.

JMK
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:53:17 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
As much as I love Kevin Smith's previous work, Jersey Girl strikes me as be very derivative. He wanted to do a father/daughter story, which is great, but it doesn't seem to bring anything new or refreshing to the genre, nor have any of his signature wit (no, not the potty humor, I'm talking about the cleverness of his previous scripts.)

Maybe I'm wrong. I kind of hope so. My impressions from the trailers and commercials thusfar have been lackluster.

I agree totally. I hope it turns out alright because I'm a big big Kevin Smith fan. It does seem devoid of anything that is signature Kevin Smith though, which scares me.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 26th, 2004, 03:00:58 PM
I just watched the trailer for Jersey Girl for the first time. It definetly doesn't stand out, like you said Fig. Might just end up waiting til this comes out on DVD. Then again I have a soft spot for Liv Tyler, she normally always makes me laugh regardless of what she's doing. Will have to see what everyone else thinks before forking out cash to see it, I think.

ReaperFett
Mar 26th, 2004, 03:10:45 PM
I look forward to it, and am glad Smith is trying something more different.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 10:18:23 PM
I hear George Carlin is the best thing about the movie, he is hilarious as usual.

Charley
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:18:45 PM
I've seen nothing at all about this movie.

Madmartigan
Mar 31st, 2004, 02:42:27 PM
He does still use Ben Affleck a cast of 4 of his 5 previous movies. and Carlin was in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as well.

The movie was pretty good, if on the sappy side a little bit.