PDA

View Full Version : Since this is apparently a Computer Help Forum, I need some help

imported_Firebird1
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:03:12 AM
Yes, I need some help. How ever being a computer nerd, it's not a software problem. At least I don't think so. I have a power supply overheating and shutting down to prevent bad things from happening. And before I go out and buy a new one, what else should I check to ensure that I don't also need a new Motherboard, Case, ect.

EDIT: Ah, I think the Spam title will get me less Jeers....

I hope atleast...

Morgan Evanar
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:15:24 AM
Try another known good power supply. Attack the computer savagely with canned air first. You may just have no air in there, and the thing is overheating.

Or it could be quitting. You could also have a bad cpu fan or a badly mounted cpu heatsink.

Sanis Prent
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:20:21 AM
Did it suddenly start doing it? Or did you make a hardware upgrade before it happened?

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:28:18 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Try another known good power supply. Attack the computer savagely with canned air first. You may just have no air in there, and the thing is overheating.

Or it could be quitting. You could also have a bad cpu fan or a badly mounted cpu heatsink.

Yeah, start there. Open the case too and see if that helps.

Now, if you running a older AMD chip, I'd be checking how well the heatsink is working. Newer AMD heatsinks are much better. My present system was giving exactly the same problems until I put a second case fan in, so maybe that'll help too.

imported_Firebird1
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:44:00 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Yeah, start there. Open the case too and see if that helps.

Now, if you running a older AMD chip, I'd be checking how well the heatsink is working. Newer AMD heatsinks are much better. My present system was giving exactly the same problems until I put a second case fan in, so maybe that'll help too.

It's an AMD Ahtlon XP 2000+ running on a Chaintech board. I've added fans, upgraded the Video Cards (since it was doing this every time I played a game using my 3d's card's more advanced functions) The Heat sink issue is new and I'll check that before booting this monster up in the morning.

imported_Firebird1
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:50:41 PM
Alright, I've installed a new Power Supply, and it's running ok...but I'm still a little worried about heat so I might later in the month invest in a better case with more room for fans.

Thanks Guys!