PDA

View Full Version : DSL not working... because of Ad-Aware

Blaine
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:57:53 PM
Hey guys,

Remember me? =P LOL Yeah, I haven't been around, sorreh... I REALLY haven't been in an RP mood and I've been busy ^_^;;;

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me out because you always tend to have solutions to these mad things because you're l33t like that. My friend has DSL on her computer and she had a mess load of spyware on her computer. Trying to be a smartass I said "Oh, download Ad-Aware and run it" She did, and got rid of the spyware... but then when she tried opening any browser (IE or Firefox) she couldn't access any sites... I think we might have deleted something that wasn't. Now I feel like a dumbass because I broke her internet. The DSL was still running because her mom's computer was working. I ran LSPFix.exe that fixes the winsock (sounds like i know what im talking about but i dont) but it didnt fix it.

Can anybody help please? Thanks

Morgan Evanar
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:36:37 PM
What kind of DSL connection does she have? Is it PPPoe?

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:48:25 PM
Ad-Aware breaking a connection? Thats new to me. It's likely ad-aware stripped out a hijacking program and it nuked settings, tho I find that hard to believe.

^ ----- details on Cable conection would be nice. Is it behind a router, or is it USB, Ethernet, etc

Darth Viscera
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:12:28 PM
ack, they should have a program called ad-aware-aware. that program is dangerous if you don't know just what you're doing.

Figrin D'an
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:23:35 PM
Actually, I ran Ad-Aware this evening after updating the reference file, and it picked up a small modification I had made to explorer.exe, listing it as a potential security hole. It's a good thing I investigated it further and determined exactly what it was picking up, because things really could have been screwed if I had just clicked Next.

It seems that Ad-Aware is getting more diverse and more complex, so risk of using it is becoming higher.

imported_Firebird1
Mar 25th, 2004, 01:09:35 AM
Fig is correct... Sometimes my Firewall has mental problems at start up.

But any who...

Contact ISP and have them walk her through the steps to connect to server. Might have to re-install the Program that the ISP gives you.

They might have a solution.

ReaperFett
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:34:45 AM
Have you tried reinstalling the browser? I did similar (With a program not browser mind you).

Blaine
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:57:33 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
What kind of DSL connection does she have? Is it PPPoe?

How can we find out?

Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Ad-Aware breaking a connection? Thats new to me. It's likely ad-aware stripped out a hijacking program and it nuked settings, tho I find that hard to believe.

^ ----- details on Cable conection would be nice. Is it behind a router, or is it USB, Ethernet, etc

It's behind a router I know that. If you can give me instructions on how to find out more about it if you need more then I'll ask her to do it.

Originally posted by Firebird1
Contact ISP and have them walk her through the steps to connect to server. Might have to re-install the Program that the ISP gives you.

They might have a solution.

I don't think she has the CD x_X But that'll be our last resort.

Originally posted by ReaperFett
Have you tried reinstalling the browser? I did similar (With a program not browser mind you).

Hm... Wouldn't think so but it doesnt hurt to try.

---

At first I checked around in google to see if I could find a solution. Something similar came up at http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm I don't know if that can help you guys help me but that didn't fix it.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:12:08 AM
PPPoe/a is kind of like a dialup connection. If you have to "dial" before you connect, its prolly PPPoE/A. The dialers most ISPs give you suck. If you have Windows XP, it has a built in dialer, which is a huge plus, because it works really nicely.

It might just be an IE problem? Try to ping a website.

Start - Run. Type "cmd"

at the prompt, type "ping google.com" if you get a return, the problem isn't your net connection, and is your browser.

Blaine
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:07:49 PM
This is weird. It didn't work from Monday to Wednesday. I told her to ping google and it worked... but then she tried IE and Firefox today and it worked... That was very odd. I wonder what the temp bug was...

Sorry I wasted your time you guys! >.< Thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it! :)

imported_Firebird1
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:55:04 PM
Originally posted by Blaine
This is weird. It didn't work from Monday to Wednesday. I told her to ping google and it worked... but then she tried IE and Firefox today and it worked... That was very odd. I wonder what the temp bug was...

Sorry I wasted your time you guys! >.< Thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it! :)

Probally was a DHCP server issue, her IP expired on Wed, and was Renewed between Wed and Thurs.

I would still call in a tech and explain what happened, if it happens again.

Good to see it working again.

Now to deal with my 'l33t' problem....

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:07:32 PM
Now let's work on the problem of the usage of 'l33t'.