3 Texas
7 Xavier (W)

3 Georgia Tech (W)
10 Nevada

1 Duke (W)
4 Illinois

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:10:55 PM
UConn had no problems with Vandy winning by 20 points. Pitt and Oklahoma state is a war right now, this game could come down to the wire.

Sanis Prent
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:39:37 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:18:39 PM
Oh well it just makes it easier for UConn :p I can't see them not getting to the Final Four now, they had no problems with Vandy and they have too much for Alabama. St Joes won, I am glad they get no respect watch them get to the Final Four just to make everybody mad :p

CMJ
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:21:00 PM
Impressive victory by Alabama. I think they'll give the Huskies a game. Saint Joseph held on for a tough victory. I'm not sure how they'll match up against Oklahoma State, but that W should shut up all the naysayers.

Sanis Prent
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:38:48 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Oh well it just makes it easier for UConn :p I can't see them not getting to the Final Four now, they had no problems with Vandy and they have too much for Alabama. St Joes won, I am glad they get no respect watch them get to the Final Four just to make everybody mad :p

The more people talk crap, the better I feel about it all, so go right ahead. You aren't the first.

Nobody expected us in the tourney. Then nobody expected us to get past Stanford, then Syracuse, etc.

I always feel good about being the underdog. Remember 1992 Sugar Bowl? :)

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:11:19 AM
I thought the Bama/'Cuse game was a tossup. Went with the Orange because they were defending champs.

Make no mistake though...Bama is tough. They knocked off the school with the best record in the tourney(and my pick to win it all) - and played the #1 SOS in the nation.

They are a tough out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:00:22 AM
Yeah but UConn has too much I think they are the best team and probably will march and cut the nets in the San Antonio. Okenfor is healthy which is huge the guy is dominant in there and they are great from the outside. I just see them too tough to beat at this point. Sure I am bias I am big UConn fan have been since Calhoun go there.

Charley
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:06:16 AM
:lol well we'll see won't we?

(laces giant-killer shoes)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:21:40 AM
And this is no disrespect I think Alabama had a great tourney, they got farther they I thougth they would, I just think UConn is too good right now. They really didn't play a great game today, they made 18 turnovers most teams lose when that happens, but they blew out Vanderbelt and the game was never close not really. What is scary is when they play their A game which they are very much capable of.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:45:16 AM
The Huskies are a great team - sure. Right now I'd have to say the favorite is Duke though. Best *program* in America in a wide open tourney.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:21:22 PM
Actually most of the sports analysits are saying its UConn, to me Duke hasn't looked that strong this year. UConn has an unbelievable team with Okenfor healthy he is the best player in America.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:43:11 PM
Duke won the toughest league in America as judged by the RPI. I also believe they spent the most weeks at #1 this season. If that's looking weak - I don't know what to say. :p

I think your Connecticut blinders are on. I'm not saying the huskies can't or won't win. But I'd hardly call them the favorites. I don't care what Vitale and other experts say. They had Kentucky winning it all last week. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:56:12 PM
I think Vitale had Uconn since the Tourney began have no clue about anybody else. UConn just looks great to me right now, and they have two great players that can get them there. Of course we could both be wrong and watch St. Joes win it all :p

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:58:08 PM
Down the stretch of the season, UConn was stronger than Duke. That's the main reason I'd give them the edge. Duke lost 3 games in the second half of the ACC season, plus lost to Maryland in the ACC tournament final. They're playing well at the moment, but if Redick loses his shot, they could have problems.

UConn has lost only once since mid-February, all while dealing with injuries. Now that their healthy, and on a roll, they're the more dangerous team, IMO.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:59:43 PM
Vitale picked Kentucky. He said it more than once during the tournament selection show.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:01:09 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think Vitale had Uconn since the Tourney began have no clue about anybody else. UConn just looks great to me right now, and they have two great players that can get them there. Of course we could both be wrong and watch St. Joes win it all :p

Vitale was singing Kentucky's praises...that was his pick. Believe me, I know who every one of those clowns pick - I watch enough of those shows(I'm hoping for Texas to lose just to shut up Digger).

Honestly I don't have a pick per se anymore. No school winning it all would surprise me at this point - save Nevada. But if I were handicapping i'd give the Blue Devils the best odds.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:13:16 PM
Maybe I heard Vitale say that about UConn after they beat Depaul, I don't know. I might be thinking of Clark Kellogg on CBS he has been saying UConn for awhile not sure when he started saying that though. I agree with you Fig that is why I think UConn will win it. Actually I think a higher seed team will win, I just don't see the lower seeds (7 and lower) doing it I think one might get in the final four but that is the best for them (my pick is Xavier). I am not certain about Kansas, I think Illinois can be dangerous if they can get by Duke.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:27:21 PM
Illinois is really dangerous. They've only lost once in like their last 16 games. Tough guards go a long way in the tournament.

I actually think this will be a bigger test for Duke than Texas or Xavier. It would be unwise to count out the Muskateers totally though since they are they the *only* school that beat St. Joseph's. Conceivably they could play each other again in the National Championship game.

Now THAT is a dream final. :D

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:34:21 PM
ehh... a St. Joes/Xavier final would be less intriguing than a lot of others. I'd rather see a smaller school vs. a major power than two smaller schools from the same conference.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:38:08 PM
That's because you attended a "big" school. ;) Little guys everywhere would love it.

Besides, the fact that St. Joseph's would be trying to avenge their only loss would be great theater.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:48:54 PM
I think something like UConn vs St. Joes would be perfect. By the way Xavier won I am glad I said they were going to be a sleeper :D It is the first time they ever made it to the Elite 8.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:25:37 PM
The most impressive win tonight was Georgia Tech(to me). Short their best player they gut out a tough W.

I think I'm now 42-15.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:32:59 PM
Tech's problem now will be potentially being without Elder for their game Sunday against Kansas. If he can't go, Kansas has then edge.

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2004, 12:35:53 AM
The Jayhawks have quietly dominated their opponents. Their closest win was 16 points I believe. It's hard to call a 4 seed a sleeper - but they've sure crept up on me.

If Elder goes I think Teck finds a way. if not - Kansas may blow them out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:52:26 AM
I'd call Xavier the biggest sleeper, I am think they can play with Duke, the way they have played the last month I think they can play with anybody.

Oh here are the games

2 UConn
8 Alabama

1 St. Joes
2 Oklahoma State

1 Duke
7 Xavier

3 Georgia Tech
4 Kansas

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2004, 08:59:48 AM
I'd qualify Xavier as a Cinderella. I know everyone defines these things differently though.

My definitions:

Sleeper: 5 or 6 seed
Cinderella: 7 seed and above

My picks -

*2 UConn
8 Alabama

1 St. Joes
*2 Oklahoma State

*1 Duke
7 Xavier

*3 Georgia Tech (Will most likely change if Elder doesn't go)
4 Kansas

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2004, 11:55:53 AM
2 UConn W
8 Alabama

1 St. Joes W
2 Oklahoma State

1 Duke
7 Xavier W

3 Georgia Tech
4 Kansas W

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:32:28 PM
Man...I'm shocked at the lack of picks. Did everyone forget?

Figrin D'an
Mar 27th, 2004, 05:38:09 PM
It's a Saturday... people have other stuff going on, and it's kinda short notice to get picks in.

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2004, 07:04:53 PM
True enough...though it didn't seem to affect last weekend too much. Since I'm assuming we're just going by overall % missing 2 games shouldn't mess up anyone too much.

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2004, 08:11:13 PM
Holy crap, what a game!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2004, 11:17:53 PM
Yeah that last game was a very good game. St. Joes had their chances. What about UConn? They looked dominant today.
Oh and sorry about the late notice about the picks, I forgot until last night before I went to bed. You can still pick the other two games.

Ryan Pode
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:47:02 AM
RAH!!! The day St. Joe's loses and I didn't pick it. :(

1 Duke Win
7 Xavier

3 Georgia Tech Win
4 Kansas

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:00:07 PM
Both games were great today. The Final Four has 2 potentially wonderful games. Can't wait till Saturday.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:09:08 PM
I still UConn taking it all. I wish that game with Duke was the final game, still I doubt it will be as good of game as that one back in 99 was.

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:13:24 PM
I'm still going with the ACC and their #1 RPI rating. Throw more fuel on the fire....

The Huskies lost to both North Carolina and Georgia Tech this season. So....they're 0-2 versus the league. Duke won the regular season conference title.

I see the Jackets and the Blue Devils playing next Monday night.

Side note: I'm 46-15 if I counted correctly.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:21:08 PM
Yeah but that is meaningless at this point. When they lost to Georgia Tech, UConn was playing horrible. And they weren't playing very good when the lost to North Carolina either (and that game was in NC too by the way) UConn is playing their best ball now too. Also I know I and CBS don't want that matchup two teams from the same conference means bad ratings and a very poor game it would remind me of Villanova-Georgetown which is only memorable because Nova was a 8 seed. I think UConn will win one half the other could go either way. I keep thinking Oklahoma state is going to lose and I have been wrong each time, they might just sneak in there.

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:28:31 PM
Sorry man...but Connecticut was ranked #1 when they lost the the Yellow Jackets. Yeah, it was about 4 games into the season, but they were not playing horrible. Hell they were also #1 when they lost to Carolina.

Honestly both games should be close. There's not much to seperate any of the four teams to me.

As for the Nova/Georgetown final. That's considered one of the best finals ever. Yeah, it's partly because the Wildcats won as an 8, but it's also because Nova played the "perfect" game.

The last final with 2 teams from the same league was Kansas/Oklahoma in '88 if I recall correctly. That was a HELLUVA game.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:34:40 PM
But still its boring, it hurts I would rather see two teams from difference conferences it makes for a more exciting game. I know now if that is the final I wouldn't watching, partly because I don't care much for the ACC for various reasons, I rather not see a repeat of the ACC tournment. Also about UConn, they weren't playing well at the time they got beat by Georgia Tech, they barely beat a couple of crappy teams. I think they beat Yale by like 10 points so they got kind of set up for an early loss. The NC game I think began a bad stretch for them they lost the most games right there I think they lost two in a row (Providence beat them the next game I think) and dropped to 8th. Right now they are playing great basketball and I don't think those games matters in terms of figuring out who will win this game at least.

Figrin D'an
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:43:14 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I see the Jackets and the Blue Devils playing next Monday night.

Interesting...

I'm going with Oklahoma State and Connecticut.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2004, 11:48:01 PM
That is the way I am leaning though Georgia Tech could beat Oklahoma State I feel, I wouldn't mind seeing UConn take on Georgia Tech again.

CMJ
Mar 29th, 2004, 09:45:36 AM
Going back to the preseason NIT really fast - Connecticut beat Nevada by 14 the previous round. We saw in this tourney, that was a great win. As I stated earlier - the Huskies were not playing badly. The Yellow Jackets whipped them by 16 or so if memory serves.

Layton: for someone who went to an ACC school - you're the most anti ACC person I've ever met. ;)

As for the Final Four. Like I said the teams are not seperated by much. I can honestly see; Connecticut versus Georgia Tech - Duke vs. Oklahoma State - Duke versus Georgia tech - Connecticut vs. Oklahoma State.

There can be no shockers to me in this thing. On the same note, everyone who says the Blue Devils/Huskies winner is the National Champion is a nutcase. I've watched many a Final Four where the Champion comes from the less sexy first game when the 2nd semi was billed as THE game.

North Carolina - 1993 : The Kentucky Michigan game was billed as the goliath battle
UCLA - 1995 : Arkansas vs UNC was *the* game. Especially with some Bruin injuries.
Arizona - 1997 : AZ was the only non #1 seed in the Final Four that year...and they won it all

I know their are others, but those are the ones that leapt out at me.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 29th, 2004, 10:38:45 AM
Heh well I get that from my father honestly he has always despised Duke and UNC in basketball and I think that has rubbed off on me :p Actually I don't hate the ACC just those two schools. Also I nearly went to UConn (it turned out to be too expensive for me). I still think UConn has hit their strides right now and are playing the best of any team in the tournement, they remind me of Michgan State the year they cruised to the Championship they looked unbeatable that year about this time. About the Duke-Uconn game being billed the "real title game" I am not surprised the media is doing that, I am sure CBS wishes that was the final, but Andy Katz had a good article on that saying that there was no guarentee that would happen if they reseeded the teams (he had UConn vs Oklahoma State and Duke vs Georgia Tech). I think its not a for certain that either team will win it, heck Oklahoma State might surprise us. I keep not picking them the last three games and they keep winning. So who knows.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 30th, 2004, 09:24:24 PM
Big upset in the Womens Bracket, 7 seed Minnesota knocked off Duke. And Stanford is giving Tennessee trouble as well.

Ryan Pode
Mar 31st, 2004, 05:06:30 AM
If you aren't from Duke, you hate them in ACC basketball.

CMJ
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:50:04 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
If you aren't from Duke, you hate them in ACC basketball.

Eh, that might be true now. But I knew a UNC grad a few years ago that rooted for Duke and all other ACC schools after the Heels got knocked out.

Back in the day the Tar Heels most likely had that level of venom aimed towards them. Actually to be honest the Duke hatred came from nowhere to me. Whn I was a kid watching college ball Duke was sort of looked at like the Atlanta Braves. They *never* won - even if they always got there. They were made fun of in the same way that the Buffalo Bills were teased - at least among the people I knew.

That's not to say they didn't have supporters - especially after they knocked off UNLV in '91. I even remember folks rooting for them vs Arkansas in the '94 Championship game. Then around '99 or so out of nowhere everyone hated the school. It sort of took me by surprise.

This is all coming from someone who isn't exactly a fan of theirs, but I respect the hell out of the program. They also have the best fans - bar none. If it were up to me I'd like OSU to win it all. Eddie Sutton deserves a title.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:02:46 PM
My father hated them before that I am not certain why, various reasons I think. And I agree it be nice to see Sutton finally win a title.

Ryan Pode
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:33:23 PM
Well, in ACC basketball, I hate Duke. In the NCAA I want an ACC team to win. But I like Georgia Tech more than Duke. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:12:19 PM
I will put this here for Saturdays games

UConn
Duke

Oklahoma State
Georgia Tech

Jedieb
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:27:33 PM
Duke
Georgia Tech

Duke wins on Monday

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:32:00 PM
UConn
Georgia Tech

Watch Oklahoma State win, I haven't picked them since the first game I think.

Figrin D'an
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:56:12 PM
UConn (W)
Duke

Oklahoma State (W)
Georgia Tech

UConn/Duke will be a battle, but in the end, I think Gordon and Okefor are going to be too much for Duke to handle. If Sheldon Williams can't at least stay even with Okefor down low, Duke better hope Reddick has his shot going and that Deng has a big game.

The other game I'm picking purely on sentiment. I want to see Eddie Sutton win a title. If they can get past Georgia Tech, anything can happen in a one-game scenario against either Duke or UConn.

The best outcome for the Final Four, IMO, is to have Oklahoma State win, capping the programs comeback from the tragedy they experienced a few years ago, and have Sutton pull an Al McGuire and go out on top.

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:37:02 AM
UConn
(W)Duke

Oklahoma State
(W)Georgia Tech

Both games are tossups. I agree with Figrin though - the dream scenario would be Sutton going out on top. Classy guy.

Ryan Pode
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:33:08 AM
Go ACC.

Duke & Georgia win.

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:25:50 PM
Georgia Tech has more guts than any team in recent memory. They didn't even beat their 14 seed easily. Every game has been like this.

Wow...

Ryan Pode
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:27:17 PM
So much for ACC Semi-Finals rematch.

My money is with Georgia Tech. Go Jackets!

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:33:27 PM
Both semi's were great games. The Duke/Connecticut game wasn't as well played, but it was still very dramatic. The Blue Devils shot selection fell apart at the very end - with about 3 minutes to go I thought they had the game won.

Should be a wonderful final.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:44:07 PM
I know what an end, being a Husky fan I was extremly nervous with them down 8 with 3 minutes to go, they showed they had a lot of heart and maturity to come back like that. They have done it all season I think they will show how good they are and win in the Final. I think it will be a close game Georgia Tech has a good team, I just think Okenfor will be too much for them.

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:32:25 PM
Connecticut definitely showed me alot tonight. I wasn't sure how far down they could dig - especially with their easy road so far. They got looked in the eye and didn't back down. You really have to give them major props for that comeback at the end. Duke's *terrible* shot selection the last few minutes really opened the door for the Huskies, but they still had to walk thru it. The Devils have survived games like this in the past(where they go into a shell at the end) so it was most impressive.

Goergia Tech has a tremendous heart though. They almost remind me of Ohio State's football team. They win close games. They win without their best players. They win with different folks being heros. They just find a way.

I'm gonna take a day or so to mull this one over....

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:26:21 AM
Well I think its going to be a close game regardless. I think UConn is too much with Okafor that Australian center is really no match for him. I guess they could double team him but man he handled that in the Duke game. If he can stay out of foul trouble he could have a huge game Monday. Also I agree with you about the bad shot selection by Duke that hurt them. Also the referees were whistle happy that almost ruined the game, IMO.

CMJ
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:04:18 AM
Luke Schenscher is a tough matchup for Connecticut. Okafor won't be able to influence his shot because the Aussie is taller than he is - and he never brings the ball below his shoulders. He's really fundamentally sound. He's also better defensively than is given credit for(though Okafor should have his way for the most part).

Would I give the Huskies the edge at center? Yeah. But not a big edge.

BTW: I believe I'm 47-16. That's about 75%. How's everyone else doing?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:04:21 AM
I feel Okafor is more athletic than him, he should really have his way. Last time I have no clue how he fared against him. Somebody told me he might have been playing hurt but I don't know that for a fact.

CMJ
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:19:15 PM
That was the game his injury first surfaced, but I don't remember exactly when. Looking at the box score - he played 34 minutes so I'm guessing late...

Okafor had 9 points in 34 minutes. Schenscher has 2 in 22 minutes. Much like in the NCAA tourney - the Jackets used a variety of scorers to win.

I was big on Georgia Tech after that preseason NIT win. They were the best team in America - rankings be damned - for the first 2 months of the season. Then I kinda got off their bandwagon when they took their lumps in the ACC. That is till they upset Duke at Cameron in February. This squad is a team - in the every sense of the word.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:59:47 PM
Not sure if anybody cares but its going to be UConn vs Tennessee again in the Womens chamionship this is their third meeting now in the Finals. I think UConn will win again, they look too strong.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:18:36 PM
UConn up by 15 they are playing their game right now, hitting the 3s and playing up tempo if it continues like this UConn should be cutting down the nets again.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:07:06 PM
Dominant performance by UConn, they were just the better team. Sad it wasn't a great game its weird how the two semifinal games were so good and the last game wasn't.

Figrin D'an
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:13:35 PM
Now we'll see if the UConn women can make it a historical event for the school.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:32:40 PM
Yeah I think they can too that would be something since it has never happened.

jjwr
Apr 6th, 2004, 06:24:44 AM
My bet is on the UConn Women, no offenes to the Men or GT but the game tonight should be a much better game on just about every front.

UConn vs Tenn has always been a great matchup and a finals repeat will make it a classic.

Oddly enough they're saying this could be the first time ever the same school won the Mens & Womens championships in the same year.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2004, 10:47:48 AM
Well the men's game wasn't a good game because UConn just dominated GT (the game wasn't as close as the score indicated) UConn made GT play their game and GT just couldn't do that.

CMJ
Apr 6th, 2004, 10:54:11 AM
Where I thought Georgia Tech lost the game was at the end of the first half. They missed something like 3 front ends of 1 and 1's. If they had made a few of those the Huskies would not have stretched the lead to 15 at the half. I really thought the game was over at that point.

You have to give them credit though. They fought back at the end. I felt like Packer - they shoulda started fouling with about 5 minutes to go. Would it have made it ugly? Hell yes. But look at how far they came back without really resorting to that tactic till the last 90 seconds.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:52:48 AM
I agree with you about the free throws, ironic everybody said that was Uconn's weakness they actually hit like 70% of theirs. I think one thing that happened towards the end there is for like 3 straight possesions Gordon kept the ball the whole time, and he is the best foul shooter on the team, they couldn't foul him.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:48:02 PM
UConn set history tonight with the Women winning they were the first school in which both the mens and womens won a National title in the same year. Stoors is the center of the Basketball universe right now.

jjwr
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:15:29 AM
The womens game was great, it looked like a blowout early but Tennessee made it close for a while, they were ice cold down the stretch though, had they hit a few of those many 3's they could have easily made a run at it.

Taurasi is incredible, like some others have said quite possibly the best college womens player ever.

Summit & Aureima(sp?) are 2nd and 3rd on the NCAA Div 1 list for championships(men and womens). I think Summit had 6 or 7 but has lost 4 Championship Games to UConn....that has gotta be eating her up.