PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Planetary Reset

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:32:41 PM
This had been suggested many times, and I think it's time to look at it again.

If I never have to research a planetary holding for a group again it will be too soon. That son of a bitch took me at least an hour.

My suggestion: Count the number of planets each group holds currently. Then reassign number of planets around their 'core' planet (TSO= Coreliia, NR = Coruscant, Sovereignty = Thyferra, etc). Planetary holdings should be rearranged in a way that they are grouped together on a spot on the map. No more one here, another a zillion miles away. That's like Indiana being considered part of California. It just doesn't work well.

Fleet RPers will object, but I believe that with some work this can be arranged that their new holdings will be just as strategic in a way that makes sense after its all rearranged. Also, make it so the groups CORE planet is the only one that cannot be taken by another group. So no one ever has to worry about being totally homeless.

With a reset we will have to settle on one galaxy map and discard all others that have been in use, to avoid further confusions.

Discuss!

Morgan Evanar
Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:35:06 PM
You already know my thoughts on the matter. GJO doesn't really care beyond Yavin and Coruscant.

I dunno whats going on at the NR, so I deffer to someone with a clue.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:55:55 PM
At this point, I think the tide of public opinion favors this. No one will be so severely inconvenienced by it they can't live, and further it won't drastically alter the way things currently work, only ease headaches. Simple backroom discussion can handle the exact nature of the changes.

My question is, do we RP it out or just say "As of dd/mm/yyyy these changes go into effect?

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:28:40 PM
I thought the situation was a group had to make a specific claim - except the NR, which is pretty much has no claims, because it was pretty much presumed all else was at the least, loosely part of the Republic by default.

the Imps appear to have bugger all possessions anyway and those that do are apparently grouped. The power reset was partially done when Vis gave up Coruscant.

IMO, the fleeters are happy just scrappign over the odd planet and just trying to beat each other up. The current problems stems from the fact TSO are not in with the fleeters and just magiced a claim. Tough shit IMO.

If you put things to the fleeters, you would probably find the real situation with those active in that is that a) there is a high level of discussion b) a good deal more common sense c) some though put into how things are dome..And D) they can probably present a proper claim with a proper thread to any planet they lay claim to.

Please check NR OOC forums for example how it's being done now.

Figrin D'an
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:29:07 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
My question is, do we RP it out or just say "As of dd/mm/yyyy these changes go into effect?

Probably. Either than, or once the territorial divisions are agreed to, make a big annoucement in every RP forum and group board detailing the changes, saying they take effect immediately for all new RPs.

There's going to be a some things that won't make sense, in that RP's already started will may have inaccurate claims. But, there's no way around that. It'll just have to be a minor oddity that people will have to deal with.

This needs to be done, though. So long as each group can have their "key" planet, this would seem to be very doable.

Charley
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:40:17 PM
We're going to need to slip LV and Telan a rag and some chloroform first though :)

I can swing either way on this one. While I'd like to keep some things the same, there are also a lot of really wacky things that just need fixing.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:53:06 PM
Before any reset, talk to the current active fleeters - most of them are willing to discuss and work together. frankly, this lil problem hasnt been caused by them. They know the majority hate fleeting and they are working or have worked a few things out for themselves, quietly.

Lady Vader
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:58:55 PM
*Scratches head.*

I think I like this idea as it would settle the whole "who's whos?" question.

Right now TSO has these planets under their flag:

Corellia
Drall
Talus / Tralus
Centerpoint Station (long since disabled)
Crollia (baren asteroid on outter rim of Corellian sector)
Soronia (")
Dathomir
Korriban
Nar Shaddaa
Nal Hutta
Honoghr
Kashyyyk
Xyquine
Dennaskar
New Cov
Chad
Chad III

(Selonia - dunno where this is right now as it's in talks with SWF commitee)

[Those names in bold are the one's I'd like to keep for TSO if it is decided to decimate some of the list]

The only thing is I need a comprehensive galaxy map to understand where all of these planets are in respects to the others.

-----

EDIT:

Or...

If it is decided this idea doesn't work well, then I am willing to go with Selonia being independant, as it would fit with the Selonian character as seen in the books. I see it as a potential for some neat RPs for TSO to get involved in, seeing as how we are starting a RP to build look-out stations and penal mining colonies on Crollia and Soronia.

Khendon Sevon
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:14:37 PM
http://www.roxxu.com/hosted/images/galacticmap.jpg

This is a fairly old galactic map made by Viscera. It’s actually a great source and I’ve used it on several occasions.

Now, on to the issue of planetary resets. I can see the reasoning behind having each group consist of a centralized mass of planets. However, I also believe that having satellite planets or colony-like planets still fits in.

As long as an empire/group doesn’t consist of a web of disconnected worlds, I don’t see a need for resetting. Maybe doing resets on a group by group basis would work?

Personally, my planets are located within the same sector of space. I also have a single space station mid rim for refueling, resupply, etc.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:24:19 PM
Dathomir
Korriban
Nar Shaddaa
Nal Hutta
Honoghr
Kashyyyk

Those are all in other quadrants, IIRC.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:29:38 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Before any reset, talk to the current active fleeters - most of them are willing to discuss and work together. frankly, this lil problem hasnt been caused by them. They know the majority hate fleeting and they are working or have worked a few things out for themselves, quietly.
I put this in the group mod forum so that the groups who do fleeting (a.k.a. not the Lost Jedi) can discuss this with everyone else.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:30:15 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Those are all in other quadrants, IIRC.

Korriban isn't too far away, according to Visc's map. The others are.

Lady Vader
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:31:41 PM
Dathomir we RPed legitimately somewhat recently, as well as Korriban, Nar Shadda (Nal Hutta) and Honoghr which were RPed legitimately waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the beginning when we did heavy fleeting stuff.

Kashyyyk is somewhat fuzzy as I don't know if the fleeters in our group ever did anything with it.

As to the rest, I have no idea, hence why I didn't bold them.

Ryla Relvinian
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:45:23 PM
Kashyyyk is somewhat fuzzy

Sorry. *whistles innocently*

Carry on. :)

Lady Vader
Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:21:14 PM
>_< |I Ugh... I didn't even notice that. Long day. :x

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:13:54 PM
maybe we should try to get everyone to use the same map? because i know that telan uses a different map than the one i used to use.

the guy to get a hold of is lash - he knows alot about which maps are good and which ones suck.

Gav Mortis
Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:14:47 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
Dathomir we RPed legitimately somewhat recently, as well as Korriban, Nar Shadda (Nal Hutta) and Honoghr which were RPed legitimately waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the beginning when we did heavy fleeting stuff.

Kashyyyk is somewhat fuzzy as I don't know if the fleeters in our group ever did anything with it.

Actually:

Originally posted by Lady Vader
Dathomir we RPed legitimately somewhat recently, as well as Kashyyyk which was RPed legitimately waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the beginning by Gav and Garrett who organised all of TSOs fleeting ventures back then. And as such:

Korriban, Nar Shadda (Nal Hutta) and Honoghr are somewhat fuzzy as I don't know if the fleeters in our group ever did anything with it.

Now that's been fixed, I'll clear up the rest of the details, many skewed about that which TSO owns and what it doesn't have any claim to because this faffing around has irked me somewhat.

Kashyyyk - roleplayed by myself and Peter; we wanted to make cyborg wookiees back then too but it never really came to pass.

Chad and Chad III - roleplayed by myself at least but knowing Peter, he probably had a role in it too. This was where the Zeus Project was conducted.

As were Talus and Tralus. I don't even think it was completed.

I don't for the life of me remember us taking Korriban, in fact what I do remember is TSO and TSE having an agreement that it would be left alone for both groups to have free reign on that and other Sith planets, not ownership. It was left free for mutual benefits.

No other planets in the Corellian System, apart from Tralus, Talus and of course Corellia should be under TSO control.

Dathomir is totally legit.

And as for Nar Shaddaa, Nal Hutta and Honoghr; they were given to TSO via Garrett Felth who ran the Fringe World Alliance; there planets were never taken in roleplays but were legit back in the day.

That should clear things up somewhat.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:58:43 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
maybe we should try to get everyone to use the same map? because i know that telan uses a different map than the one i used to use.

the guy to get a hold of is lash - he knows alot about which maps are good and which ones suck.

This had been suggested many times, and I think it's time to look at it again......With a reset we will have to settle on one galaxy map and discard all others that have been in use, to avoid further confusions.

Discuss!

Lady Vader
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:00:10 PM
Thank you Gav. I was wondering when you'd pop out of the wood work. :)

Well, there aren't many Sith groups left here, but for those Sith that are rogue in style and I suppose for the Dark Jedi, we could leave Korriban as a free world, allowing any to go there. It's kinda like a Mecca really.

You prob don't remember Honoghr, but I do. As it is, I don't think you were involved in that RP.

And those planets given to us I would consider legit, as they were basically handed over to us to protect and take care of.

Well, seeing as how everyone wants proof of RPs guess I've got my work cut out for me to start some new RPs. |I

(I need an aspirin)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:04:40 PM
I put this in the group mod forum so that the groups who do fleeting (a.k.a. not the Lost Jedi) can discuss this with everyone else.

Dont be rude, now. I do have an alt id that is part of a fleeting group and I do keep an eye on whats going on.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:05:13 PM
:lol offering proof isn't redoing the RPs its finding them, silly.

I think that Viscera had everyone beat when it came to keeping track of all the planetary takeover threads. But that's beside the point of this thread. The point of this thread is that if we agree to a reset, then it won't matter if you have an RP for it or not, as of such-and-such date in the future the planets listed under your name as determined by the reset will be undeniably YOURS.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:06:27 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Dont be rude, now. I do have an alt id that is part of a fleeting group and I do keep an eye on whats going on.

Wasn't trying to be rude, but was making a point. I brought this to the group mods so that the fleeting groups (they have mods too!) can look it over. You implied in your post that I was bypassing the fleeters (as they are) and I am not, nor is that my intention.

Lady Vader
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:27:40 PM
The point of this thread is that if we agree to a reset, then it won't matter if you have an RP for it or not, as of such-and-such date in the future the planets listed under your name as determined by the reset will be undeniably YOURS.

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooh. I think.

So basically you're saying that whatever planets we have, we see which are near Corellia where it would make sense that we would take care of them? Kinda like Korriban and Kashyyyk are near by and not on the other side of the galaxy?

(It's been a long day and my body and brain have just about leaked through the earth's crust. And tomorrow's going to be even longer with a 2 hour event going on for the whole company. I need a good restful sleep. Mmmmmmm.... sleep.)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:30:42 PM
Something along those lines. The planets that are too far away to make sense will be taken away and other planets that are near would be reassigned.

Figrin D'an
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:40:28 PM
If we're going to pick one map to work from, I suggest it be the one used by Del-Ray for the NJO books. I've looked over about 5 different galacitic maps in recent days, and none of them completely agree with one another, in terms of relative positioning of systems.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:41:02 PM
Wasn't trying to be rude, but was making a point. I brought this to the group mods so that the fleeting groups (they have mods too!) can look it over. You implied in your post that I was bypassing the fleeters (as they are) and I am not, nor is that my intention. Marcus is a mod of the NR, his posting here is quite appropriate.

As for my stand on all of this, I am still trying to digest all the information so I can figure that out.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:04:10 PM
I was not intending to be rude, I frankly totally forgot he RPs fleets with the NR. Mark, I apologize.

I also apologize to everyone else I've managed to tick off in the last two days. It really is not my intention to piss anyone off, I just feel a bit frustrated with the situation I have found myself in. This is neither here, nor there, and nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

So, please discuss a possible reset as you all see fit.

AmazonBabe
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:29:29 PM
You've done good, Hollie. Don't beat yourself up. :hug

Fig, your idea of using the galaxy map from the NJO book is not a bad idea. It'd probably be the best thing (and legit thing) we can find out there right now.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:21:45 PM
This probably wont be appreciated but.......if someone or a group has already laid claim to a planet, its hardly fair to tell them that just because it doesnt belong in the same sector or system as their other planets, that they can no longer own it.

Why cant it be put to a vote (in OOC, perhaps?) since it would affect more than just a few people?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:36:25 PM
My map is based off that, and I added stuff in as best I could. Its by no means a difinitive resource though. I do have the original huuuge PSDs.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:54:57 AM
Khendon: If the Sovereignty's planets are clustered fairly reasonably, they probably won't be altered. The point of this is to correct oddities in the current scheme, I think.

Daiq: It really doesn't affect more than a few people, so we don't need a vote. Further, like I mentioned to Khendon the idea is to iron out inconsistencies in the current scheme. If a planet/system is taken away from a group due to our consolidation efforts, I think it's probably fair to give them a closer planet in return, the exact nature of which can be discussed among the individuals involved.

Remember, the NR has a default claim to anything not currently taken and hardly uses even one tenth of that claim. That leaves a wide leeway for negotiation on the finer points.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:06:20 AM
gah, sorry holly, i suppose im the redundancy princess redundancy today ^_^;

ill get a planetary listing of the sov's holdings from telan if someone doesnt already have it, or ill just ask him to post it in here

Silus Xilarian
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:43:53 AM
A planetary reset was something that worried me in the past, due to it being a touchy subject. However, as of late, Ive been seeing a lot of good work coming from each group, and most everyone there seems willing to cooperate and compromise to help things progress much more smoothly.

Were we decide on one map, and make it official, it would be great in straightening out planetary holdings. One speedbump we might run into, however, is the soveriegnty holding both Thyferra and Bespin. If the planets are close enough together for it to work, awesome. If not, it would be pretty hard on the soveriegnty to give up either one, since they've made both planets important bricks in the group's foundation.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:13:51 AM
Daiq: It really doesn't affect more than a few people, so we don't need a vote. Further, like I mentioned to Khendon the idea is to iron out inconsistencies in the current scheme. If a planet/system is taken away from a group due to our consolidation efforts, I think it's probably fair to give them a closer planet in return, the exact nature of which can be discussed among the individuals involved.

Truly, Im not arguing for arguments' sake; I just dont think its fair and I dont think its right to up and change something concerning someone else's character without giving them a voice in the matter.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:14:22 AM
Daiq, the people it affects can come in here, really. It should be decided on in here (the group mods should get the input of their groups of course) not in OOC.

In OOC the issue could get clouded and it would turn into a huge fleeting debate (worst case senario). Joe Roleplayer shouldn't be able to make a decision that will affect someone's hard work on their group.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:10:49 PM
I understand what you're saying Daiq, but realistically speaking the changes that would be made are few in number and small in nature. If it affects anyone beyond the Fleet RPers, I'm pretty sure those issues can be smoothed out with backroom consultation as well.

It really is best not to let the issue become one for public debate, I think. It's gotten out of control too many times in the past.

Khendon Sevon
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:03:14 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
Khendon: If the Sovereignty's planets are clustered fairly reasonably, they probably won't be altered. The point of this is to correct oddities in the current scheme, I think.

Just as a note, I represent the Federacy, not the Sovereignty. However, thank you for further elaborating on the necessity of the corrections, it’s greatly appreciated.

DarthHERA
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:07:28 PM
I guess my question to all this is :
Why does the Galaxy have to be so ordered?

Its a huge universe and it is not illogical for all kinds of scenarios to have taken place that dont always fit a strict connect-a-dot outline. So what if the Imps control a planet waaaaaaaay far away from their core systems? Or the NR have a base in the middle of hostile territory?

The US (for example) owns bases - or satelites, to use Khendon's word - all over the earth which, while disorderly map-wise, make great sense to the US's strategies and needs etc.

However, if it is to introduce a "One Map" to be used here at SWF, then that makes more sense. But I still think there is no need to neatly organize the galaxy because it makes research easier or fits more comfortably into our little box.

I personally feel to order it in such a fashion detracts from the chaotic way things naturally (irl and ic) develop.

Side note:

I also apologize to everyone else I've managed to tick off in the last two days. It really is not my intention to piss anyone off, I just feel a bit frustrated with the situation I have found myself in. This is neither here, nor there, and nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Holly, just want to say that I understand things pile up on people, and we all feel frustration. But you as a SWF Mod and experienced roleplayer should not be doing this as regularly as you are these days. You seem to be apologising more and more for snapping at posters because of rl things that are effecting you.

Maybe take a break from Modding or something, or try not to take so much to heart.
Im not trying to be a bitch, but you used to be not so easy to snap. :(

Pierce Tondry
Mar 24th, 2004, 04:14:25 PM
Khendon: D'oh! Sorry about that. These days all I can remember about Imp groups outside of Balmorra is that one of them's going to eat my ferrets. ^_^;;

Hera: Though I understand your logic and it does make a certain amount of sense, most of the planets we speak of are conquered territory. There are real logistical problems involved with keeping control over subject territories- supplying the military, collecting taxes or conscripts, even maintaining simple back-and-forth communication requires effort the longer a distance one must cover.

Don't think of galactic distances in terms of hopping a plane and flying to another point on Earth, which at its fastest takes less than a day to achieve. Think of it as being more like the Wild West. All the population centers are spread way out from one another, and though short trips could be made easily, longer journeys can sometimes take weeks or months.

Another example is Operation Iraqi Freedom. Most of the cost for that military venture came from moving battleships, tanks, fighter jets, and soliders halfway around the globe, and it took them weeks to get the entire force over there.

A lot of military strategy is based on logistics and economics.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 04:18:30 PM
(in response to the side note: I wasn't snapping Hera, just I felt that people were taking me the wrong way, and I wanted to clear the air.)

Pierce Tondry
Mar 24th, 2004, 04:25:20 PM
I don't think Hera meant you were snapping at her. Since you're both a Staff Moderator and experienced RPer, you have the double-burden of maintaining a professional attitude regardless of whether the situation is personal or moderator-related. I think she meant you've been snapping at people in general (thus not being professional) and are doing a lot of apologizing as a result.

Also, she's trying to express this in as nice a way as she can because she doesn't want to hurt your feelings but at the same time, doesn't think you're handling things the right way.

/Hera translation which may or may not be correct?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:31:21 PM
....this isn't really the subject of this thread. To explain once more, I was not apologizing for snapping at people, because I had not.

Figrin D'an
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:11:52 PM
Uh... yeah.

Maybe we should simply have a group mod vote to see if there is large support for this. Or, have seperate mod votes within each individual group, and have one person from each group designated to report the outcome of each vote.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:35:42 PM
Sounds like a solid idea, Fig. A simple Yea or Nay would work, and type in your post the group you represent.

Figrin D'an
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:17:54 PM
So, does doing this by group seem more reasonable then? Or just have everyone with access here cast a vote?

Lady Vader
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:33:23 PM
I think informing the groups would only be fair as they also are a part of this community.

There are several mods from TSO i'd need to inform of this vote.

But I need time. Either that or one of the admins that has access to the SSC could inform them for me.

My time as of late has been very limited for net access. My work load has been horendous, and I leave tomorrow night for Virginia and will be gone up until Sunday. :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:01:26 PM
Your group mods should have access here and should check the forum? Posting this here *is* informing the groups...it's called the "group mod forum" I think... Anyway by all means group mods should check with their entire groups and get feedback. Once your group has talked it over, then vote once for your group.

If nay, include reasoning.

My group, Kuklos Ataxia, has only one planet (Onderon) and so will be unaffected, except for maybe new neighbors. I vote yes. :p

Pierce Tondry
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:09:32 PM
As it stands, the Harbingers of Shadow have a tenuous claim to Jomark, tenuous because I haven't been able to accomplish anything.

Whatever the outcome of the reset is, I will be cool with it. (So, yes)

Sanis Prent
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:16:06 PM
In what way would the Cizerack Pride be affected by this? Since there aren't any official star sharts with the Cluster on it (I've always had it near Yavin), would that remain, or would it need to be moved? Also, would I need to give up the other planets in the cluster and just maintain Carshoulis? The other planets aren't really strategic centers, they're more like sister population centers around Carshoulis. The whole thing is more or less confined to a large star system.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:25:21 PM
...the Pride doesn't lay claim to say...a planet on the other side of the known galaxy, does it?

Figrin D'an
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:26:48 PM
I don't really see a problem with the Pride maintaining it's claims.

DarthHERA
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:54:34 PM
Pierce - I dont really think of the galaxy in such short distances as travelling the earth, it was just an example of the point I wanted to make. But you got that.

Holly - you did not get my point. Reread what I actually said if you care. Or dont. Or reread Brian's translation. Or dont. *shrugs*

As to the topic - I still dont see the imperitive need for the shuffling, but as I am not to be effected seeming as Enton is a made-up planet somewhere in the outer rim, I guess it doesnt really matter.

Unless it puts me right in the middle of the NR or something. I guess I should talk to my mods.

Gav Mortis
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:04:11 PM
Let's stick to the matter at hand, we have the PM system for other issues and for what it's worth, I support the planetary reset proposal.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:42:11 PM
As LJ : Not affecting us - one planet only.

as NR : I dont realyl seeing it being an ssue anyway. Mr Lion and co I dont think have any careing about a planet list, we have been working under the thought most planets are default NR by way of how the Galaxy is politicaly. So this'll affect Imps more than anyone else, esp as I'm not aware of a planet list claims the NR may have. That was thrown out when Vis gave up Coruscant. I'll consult with Lion who would be more concerned with this anyway.

Comment re : Pride - Wuold be resonable to hold the Pride as it is right now, i see no reason it needs to change.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:42:18 PM
I don't think moving made-up planets is part of the necessary shuffling. Places that have been made up with a given location are pretty much right where they need to be. We just want to organize what was confusingly ordered from "the good old days".

Darth Viscera
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:42:46 PM
Hera and Pierce's comments in pertaining to the Iraq war have given me an idea. Why not allow far-flung planets to be under the control of a faction, but devise rules for imposing economy and time penalties on RPing that you're moving forces to said far-flung planet? This would also have the effect of making things more interesting in that it would be harder to get reinforcements to an isolated planet in time to repell a surprise invasion, etc.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:54:40 PM
More rules are a bad idea, IMO.

When it boils down to it, I kind of don't care, but having a more coherent and agreed upon map would be really, really great.

Darth Viscera
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:05:57 PM
Agreed, I share your opinion and think that every further rule runs the possibility of making things more problematic, but perhaps rearranging planet holdings should only be considered if all other workable options have been exhausted.

On the other hand, in regards to the more diminutive planets which have just been made up and hold no history in the EU, perhaps they should be rearranged for greater proximity to a faction's capitol planet.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:14:27 PM
That is an idea...

Morgan Evanar
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:53:22 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera, but perhaps rearranging planet holdings should only be considered if all other workable options have been exhausted.

On the other hand, in regards to the more diminutive planets which have just been made up and hold no history in the EU, perhaps they should be rearranged for greater proximity to a faction's capitol planet. I think we should decide on a map. I'm more than willing to colaborate on you with it. But I do think that SOME holdings need to be re-evaluated if they're deemed too improbable from a strategic standpoint.

Tired: Coherency fading. Will probably edit when alert.

Darth Viscera
Mar 25th, 2004, 12:09:09 AM
Yeah, we need a map. The reason that I didn't pick the NJO maps all those years ago was because I couldn't find a very high-resolution one and I figured it would be more difficult than the other to color-code for factions. Also, I think the NJO maps weren't as spacious as I would have liked (for adding made-up star systems), but I don't recall exactly.

But I do think that SOME holdings need to be re-evaluated if they're deemed too improbable from a strategic standpoint.

Perhaps we could go in that direction by RPing that the planet(s) in question are strategically untenable due to their location, thereby making them easy pickings for factions with a shorter line of supply.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:32:42 AM
Good call.

See, the thing about those maps, you can always extrapolate and zoom in a fair amount.

AmazonBabe
Mar 25th, 2004, 01:18:32 PM
MAP! (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi?Image=books/newspics/njo-map.jpg) Straight from the NJO books!

Unfortunately, it's not very complete as some planets are missing. We need a REALLY complete map to see all the planets.

EDIT: Holly schmanoley! Forget the NJO map! Check THIS out! http://www.starwarsdotcom.com/star_wars/gmap/map.html (THANK YOU SW Insider!)

It's still somewhat incomplete though.

:: Throws hands up in the air. ::

Are there no COMPLETE maps out there???

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, so i'm on a map tirade. :p

Found some more pieces of another map (liked this cause it showed where AB's homeworld used to reside, Zenoma Sekot):

http://www.hyperjump.net/genlopez/images/map_main.jpg

http://www.hyperjump.net/genlopez/images/map_8.jpg

http://www.hyperjump.net/genlopez/images/title_rotj.jpg

I've also utilized this map before as it split things into quadrants and sections and even descriptions: http://www.lowlight.com/swmap/

Morgan Evanar
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:35:05 PM
Lowlight is horridly innacurate.

Figrin D'an
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:37:00 PM
Here's one that I've found fairly useful.

http://www.nav-computer.com/galaxymap.html

It seems to be based upon the NJO map, but with a lot of additions. The whole site is pretty detailed, with maps of different sectors and star systems.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:40:40 PM
Conversely, that map looks to be very accurate. I think, with some visual modification, it should be "it"

AmazonBabe
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:16:01 PM
It's beeeeeeeeeeeeeeg. :eek

Lowlight is horridly innacurate.

Yeah, I noticed that after further studying it.

Gav Mortis
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:54:51 PM
The one Fig linked to is awesome and gets my vote.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:59:33 PM
Fig's map is a winner.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:07:00 PM
Love it, I vote for it. :)

Darth Viscera
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:11:51 PM
tasty map

Morgan Evanar
Mar 25th, 2004, 09:00:08 PM
Visc, want to work on making it pretty/detailed? I can do lots of code for overlays and stuff.

Sanis Prent
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:25:28 PM
Hit me up if you need me to *point* at the Carshoulis Cluster

Darth Viscera
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:33:26 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Visc, want to work on making it pretty/detailed? I can do lots of code for overlays and stuff.

Sure, I can go and color code it like I did the last one. I will request in the OOC forum an updated planet holdings list from all groups

Telan Desaria
Apr 13th, 2004, 06:50:49 PM
The Sovereignty's systems are all in close proximity to one another, and all of our campaigns have been orchestrated to expand our borders.

Bespin is close to Thyferra given the broad scope of our expansions.

There is one exception and that is the Bastion Sector, where Lebron is Moff. It is now part of the Empire but has a certain allure to it. It is separated from Imperial territory as a whole giving it that fortress aspect. I have not gotten around to rping with that yet, but I will. The territory is cut off and surrounded by hostiles, constantly besieged.

Carida is near Thyferra (or at least it should be)

Corellia is an Imperial Military Protectorate allowing us to concentrate of the fleeting we love and the Sith/Force-ness they love. (Re: Who Needs Bacta thread)

There's my zwei pfennige

Darth Viscera
Apr 15th, 2004, 04:54:10 PM
I split the thread from posts after #75 and moved them to Corellian Moon Spaceport in TSO