PDA

View Full Version : EXTRA LIFE: WarCraft III must WIN!

AmazonBabe
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:39:56 PM
As most of you know, I'm a WC3 adict. ^_^;

Well, GameSpy has been having these competition things between different types of games the last several weeks, and today it has come up between StarCraft and WarCraft III.

Now, I've played a bit of StarCraft, but I wasn't too impressed with it. However, WarCraft III has earned my undieing loyalty (yes, I know, need to get a life).

Anyhoo, here's the link if you want to vote. And if you love me, you'll vote several times for WC3 until your mouse clicky has died. :D ;)

http://www.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/0211.shtml

(You can also view the past competitions they've had, and the futures ones left to come.)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:44:33 PM
I voted, but I do't think WC is going to be able to beat SC, to be honest :mneh

AmazonBabe
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:49:24 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to get that sinking feeling.

Too bad, cause IMHO I think WC3 was more fun and challenging.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:55:42 PM
SC has had a steady active fanbase ever since it was released, which is why I think it'll probably win.

AmazonBabe
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:57:21 PM
True enough.

Well, I guess I can always look forward to World of WarCraft (which I have signed up for the beta, and if I'm lucky like I was for WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne, I'll get on the beta testing! ^_^ )

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:58:52 PM
You beta'd Frozen Throne? Learn something new everyday! Good luck with getting picked for WoW.

Charley
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:43:17 PM
Starcraft was infinitely more fun than WC 3, so no.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:01:23 PM
StarCraft was good, in it's day.

WC III is more fun and challenging. At the end of my StarCraft gaming career, I found the style of the game to be oriented towards mass production of one or two specific units for each species. It all (and I do mean ALL) boiled down to build order.

For WarCraft III, the introduction of heroes forced more tactical choices than those typically used in SC.

AmazonBabe
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:20:33 PM
For WarCraft III, the introduction of heroes forced more tactical choices than those typically used in SC.

Repeated for great truth.

Nevlonniel
Mar 17th, 2004, 04:25:33 PM
Oh well, it lost the match.

BUT there is a possibility it will gain an extra life and come back for another round.

This happened to KotOR, where it went up against one game (forgot what it was) and lost, but then received an extra life in another match (random occurance) and proceeded to whoop some behind in it's next match.

So, there is still hope! *crosses fingers and toes and arms and legs... and eyes... and tongue* (I don't think i can cross anything else O_o)

Garrett Blade
Mar 18th, 2004, 04:51:03 AM
Regardless of how well WarCraft 3, or even StarCraft for that matter, does in the heats, I can't see either of those two games being a match for Doom.

I think the final will be either Doom vs Zelda: OCarina of Time, or possibly Doom vs Quake - the latter being a closer match than the former.

But my money's on Doom :)

March Kalas
Mar 18th, 2004, 05:40:02 PM
Doom is a comletely different type of game than Starcraft or Warcraft, and they shouldn't be compared. By the way, UT 2003 totally owned doom.

Garrett Blade
Mar 18th, 2004, 06:34:53 PM
Btw, if it wasn't for Doom, there wouldn't be UT2003. :p

Tear
Mar 18th, 2004, 09:52:45 PM
*cough* wolfenstien *cough*

Charley
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:06:34 AM
While wolfenstein was the *first* FPS, it didn't really have the kind of cultural clout that Doom had. His point stands.

Tear
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:35:01 AM
My point was that without Wolfenstien there may not be doom. So...in theory without Wolfenstien there may not be UT.

Theres a big difference for why Doom was more of a cultural impact on gamers. But im not goin into that

AmazonBabe
Mar 19th, 2004, 03:12:25 PM
EXTRA LIFE!

I knew they'd put it out there for an extra life. But, again, it's a voting thing. Too much voting!! :x

http://www.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/xl6.shtml

It'll be interesting to see you wins the extra life.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 19th, 2004, 04:35:02 PM
Fallout 2 > Warcraft 3 times a number that is big to the power of a number even bigger.

Figrin D'an
Mar 19th, 2004, 07:41:25 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
EXTRA LIFE!

I knew they'd put it out there for an extra life. But, again, it's a voting thing. Too much voting!! :x

http://www.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/xl6.shtml

It'll be interesting to see you wins the extra life.

Sorry... my pick was Chronotrigger. I like WC3, but CT deserves the extra life more, IMO.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:47:48 AM
Originally posted by March Kalas
Doom is a comletely different type of game than Starcraft or Warcraft, and they shouldn't be compared. By the way, UT 2003 totally owned doom.

UT 2003 is Just Another FPS. Harsh, but in the end, true.

Doom OTOH, is a game that truly changed the landscape of gaming. It had atmosphere. It's the only game that's givien me enough of a fright to make me jump from seat. Doom completely changed the face of gaming and how games were viewed on PC. Wolfenstein 3D was the Granddaddy of them all, (And I played Wolfenstien on a Apple II when it was hardly more than text, before most you were out of nappies!), but on sheer impact and importance, it is Doom by a landslide.

I think i have a disk of Doom ariound here somewhere....

March Kalas
Mar 21st, 2004, 07:34:10 PM
I actually recant my statement, because I don't think any shooter has ever been able to match Counter Strike in just about anything (as far as gameplay is concerned). CounterStirke is the most widely played game in the world (I think) and people actually make money off of playing CS.

As far as strategy is concerned, I still don't think any game has come out that can compare with Total Annihilation (not Kingdoms) in terms of depth and intense planning. Warcraft may be more exciting, but for a strategy buff, almost nothing compares to Total Annihilation.

Charley
Mar 21st, 2004, 07:39:21 PM
That is true. Total Annihilation is the holy grail of RTS games. I wish I could find my disk :(

TA + Core Contingencies = RTS heaven

Krogoth, while pretty impossible to get in a game, is a rare, glory-filled treat to behold. Giant robot destroys everything.

March Kalas
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:05:41 PM
do you know where I could get Core Contingencies now-a-days. I still haven't gotten it yet.

Sanis Prent
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:13:01 PM
no clue.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:39:10 PM
I have my TA disks somewhere. I hope they're not coated with beer from that one time.

March Kalas
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:02:40 PM
I've relised that TA is kind of like the half life of RTS's; there are so many friggin mods and conversions for it!