PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Canada for Canadians

Telan Desaria
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:33:08 AM
I have an honest question that is not intended to spur any of the hatred I have before by ranting about post-modern imperialism. This is a question of fact that requires only an answer and perhaps an explanation.

Here I go.

Do Canadian, or should I say, does, Canada, still consider itself a part of the British Empire; do its people still pay homage to the Queen of Great Britain?

I ask because I was reading a book called Kriegen im Sudost, a German study of the Korean War, and I was staggered by the amount of Canadian troops called in with the British forces. I was wondering, are Canadian troops currently engaged with the British? Is this relationship still extent?

What does Canada feel different about today than fifty-one years ago?

JMK
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:36:28 AM
I think officially the relationship still exists because Canada is still a part of the Commonwealth. There is some loyalty here to the Queen, but once she's gone, no one here feels any need to continue to be a part of it if Charles in on the throne. That's just the sense I get. But to answer your question, yes, Canada still has some ties with Britain.

Darth Viscera
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:00:15 AM
I wonder if Canada's ties with Britain exceed their ties with America. I mean, there are Canadians stationed in all sorts of positions in the US armed forces, including US aircraft carrier battle groups. Militarily, the two countries seem to be conjoined. I know that back when I was working at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, the US Army class-B uniform even looked very similar to its Canadian counterpart (there were a lot of canadian and american Captains and Majors walking around), which was only distinguishable because it looked a tad bit more blue/green.

*hides under his computer desk to avoid the imminent verbal assault from ultra-jingoistic canadians*

Telan Desaria
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:39:51 AM
In relation to Charles, one can only hope that some other souls its on the British throne before he does. He will truly be the death of anything British. The UK will take its hold then and England as well as Great Britain will be markers in the pages of history, little more. One the Monarchy is erased, Britain dies forever.

So Canada is still part of the Commonwealth? That I did not know. So they will answer the call should the Queen say so? The Canadians can still call themselves British citizens?

JMK
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:59:26 AM
No, Canadians can't call themselves British citizens, at least I don't think so. Being a part of the Commonwealth is more of a formal relationship these days I think. Canada became an independant country in 1867 but retained some form of relationship with Britain. If you want to see which countries are still a part of the British Commonwealth, take a look at the teams that participate in the Commonwealth Games. :)

JediBoricua
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:34:00 PM
Australia has the same kind of relation with the British crown, right?

Rasha Vill
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:46:47 PM
Yes, Australia is part of the commonwealth. Here is a list of all the countries in the commonwealth.

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei Darussalam
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
Fiji Islands
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Western Samoa
Zambia

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:55:40 PM
So Canada is still part of the Commonwealth? That I did not know. So they will answer the call should the Queen say so? The Canadians can still call themselves British citizens?

Smeone really has no clue what the Commonwealth really means.

The Queen may be the nominal head of state but she has absolutly no power. Canada, Australaia, New Zealand, etc are for all intensive purposes independant of any British influnece if they so wish.

And I'll be a sheep shagger (kiwi) before I can call myself a Pommie. Or would allow someone to insult me with that term. I'm a frikking independant and proud Aussie. The sooner Lizzie is off the coins, the better.

Charley
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:58:00 PM
Its "all intents and purposes", not "all intensive purposes".

As for the Commonwealth system, its just a way of keeping the British Empire dormant and passive until Queen Elizabeth becomes a cyberzombie, in which case the British Empire will rise once more.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:30:35 PM
The Queen has no power in England, the British monarchy hasn't had any power in ages. I wouldn't be shocked if they got rid of the monarchy eventually Charles might destroy it :p

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:36:45 PM
I think I'm correct in saying the Monarchy does have power, they simply don't use it.

James Prent
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:38:33 PM
I can't help it, I keep thinking about Eddie Izzard's bit about Queen Elizabeth... >_< :lol

Charley
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:52:15 PM
God attack the Queen
Make large dogs chase her
And bite her bum

...or something.

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:57:37 PM
But in Britain we don’t win many gold medals at the Olympics – because we’ve chosen not to! It’s a political statement! Because we hate our national anthem. Because it’s God Save the Queen, you see. God Save the Queen. Now the Queen lives in a very big house, she has barbed wire outside, and people with guns in front of that. That’s one saved ****ing queen, I’ll tell you. That’s the problem. She’s overly saved! She has no idea of the struggle of human existence. We have to work for a living, raise a family – we don’t have nannies all running around the place. It’s – it’s what you’ve got to do in your life. You know. So it’s “God Save the Queen.” No! It’s too saved. It’s “God Attack the Queen,” that’s what it should be! “God attack the Queen, send big dogs after her that bite her bum. Let them chase after her and let them…” That’d be fantastic! Then she’d have to fight the crazy dog with a – with a handbag with a brick inside of it. “Crazy dog! Crazy dog!” “Arrgghh, kill the Queen!” “No – crazy dog!” And maybe she’d kill the crazy dog and everyone in – in Britain would go, “Hell, fair play with the queen – killed the crazy dog.” And the Queen would go – have – she would have self-respect for the first time in her life! Yes. It would work. It’d be fan-tab-u-lous.

Darth Viscera
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:32:27 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I think I'm correct in saying the Monarchy does have power, they simply don't use it.

When was the last time they used it? When Queen-Empress Victoria was sitting on the throne?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 17th, 2004, 12:48:31 PM
I don't know I am thinking the British Monarchy lost their power way back I know it was a slow process that started with the Glorious Revolution. It was sometime after that, that they established the post of Prime Minister and it was over the next few centuries that the Monarchy lost and lost more power. Really the monarchy has only been a figure head for the last 2 to three centuries.

Tear
Mar 18th, 2004, 10:53:53 PM
I think Canada's relationship to Great britain is more of a respectful link to our history. I cant remember if it was last year or the year before when the Queen came to victoria and most of B.C was buzzing with the news. Was her birthday? I think..

Its like a Child/ Parent relationship. We still hold basic characteristics of the parent but are well on our own in the world. Same system of Government with some slight differences. Stuff like that.

The last time we were in action with Britain was World war 1? I think..there might have been a few other instances afterwards where we were called upon for support but for the most part after WW1 we didnt want to be pulled unwillingly into wars so we got our independence. So if Britain was like "we are invading france, Canada your coming with us!" It would be a no go :p Unless the westerns got to invade quebec..then maybe:rolleyes We arent part of the British Empire anymore but we still pay our respects to the Queen.

As for relationships with the U.S military we have exchanges of personel. For example I know a friend of mine whos a military diver. He goes an deactivates mines and such. He voluntered to go participate in an exchange with the U.S and worked with their divers while they sent some of their divers up here to work with ours. I think thats as far as our military mingling goes. Im sure we work closer with your military then Britains for the simple fact we are closer geographically. Im pretty sure we have exchanges with Britain too but not on the scale we do with you U.S guys.

Sorry if this all sounds foggy its been years since i was in highschool to brush up on Canadian History

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 18th, 2004, 11:21:06 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I don't know I am thinking the British Monarchy lost their power way back I know it was a slow process that started with the Glorious Revolution. It was sometime after that, that they established the post of Prime Minister and it was over the next few centuries that the Monarchy lost and lost more power. Really the monarchy has only been a figure head for the last 2 to three centuries.

Oliver cromwell overthrowing Charles I in 1611 or somethign liek that. That is when the King of england lost real effective power. The Monarchy will end if there's a Charles III. No one wants him to be King.

Harmony Cubel
Mar 18th, 2004, 11:38:37 PM
The last time we were in action with Britain was World war 1?

Actually WW2, we where still a wee-bit conntected to the monarchy, but we waited abit after England declared war to decide.

Yeah, Canada is a seperate nation, but we have some (barely noted) ties back to GB.

Like the ugly old bitty on the money, and our schools tring to get us to say the stupid pledge to the Queen thing a few years back, but we shot that outta the sky!

Yeah, and now I'm rambling, and Marcus and Tear have pretty much covered it.

Tear
Mar 18th, 2004, 11:48:04 PM
Im pretty sure WW2 was an independent decision on our part. We basically did it for our reasons combined with loyalty to Britain since the main force of troops were very Pro-Britain volunteers at the beginning anyway.

We were going to join the war with Britain anyway but the reason we waited was to show them we were independent and not following them blindly without making a decision ourselves.

The big connection with the monarchy over what we have now is that loyalty to Britain was still really high through most of Canada.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:29:00 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Oliver cromwell overthrowing Charles I in 1611 or somethign liek that. That is when the King of england lost real effective power. The Monarchy will end if there's a Charles III. No one wants him to be King.

Yeah you are right that was the beginning of the end. I think the nail hit the coffin with James II's ouster, he had aspirations of making France into more like an Absolute Monarchy like in France but he was kicked out.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:34:12 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
The Monarchy will end if there's a Charles III.
No worries then. He intends to be King George :)

Seriously, he's become more popular these days.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:38:53 PM
Of course by the time Elizabeth dies he could be in his 70's and she could still outlive him. Then it would go to his sons.

Figrin D'an
Mar 19th, 2004, 03:20:30 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Of course by the time Elizabeth dies he could be in his 70's and she could still outlive him. Then it would go to his sons.

Something tells me that she's going to hang on as long as possible, for that very reason. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2004, 03:30:33 PM
She's jammed the crown on her head and she's nailed herself to the throne. Not getting off it! :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2004, 07:14:05 PM
She's got that twinkle in her eye! :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 19th, 2004, 11:41:52 PM
I think she knows the throne should go to William - and Queen Vic ruled 63 years, longest of any monarch. I bet Lizze sees she has the chance to beat that one! After all, her mum lived to 101 and was still pretty spry at 100, dont see why Lizze cant make 100 herself.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 20th, 2004, 12:00:28 AM
You mean British right? I think the longest monarch's reign is Francis Joseph of Austria he ruled 1848-1916 that is 68 years. I don't think anybody ruled longer than that although somebody could check on that.

Edit, I was completely wrong and coming from a somebody who likes French history embarrased. Louis XIV had the longest reign 72 years, he rulled from 1643-1715, that is 72 years, I have my doubts anybody was longer than that.

Darth Viscera
Mar 20th, 2004, 06:05:29 AM
100 year olds (or 77 year olds for that matter) should be cared for by incompetent nurses in an old folks' home, not sitting on a throne and wearing a crown. Let the monarchy pass to someone who's actually cognizant of their surroundings. Aren't Queens and Kings obliged to die when their heirs are full-ripe for kingship?

Telan Desaria
Mar 20th, 2004, 08:57:32 AM
I'm not all that keen, as a former aristocrat, to see either of Charles' sons on the throne of the Great Britian. From what I have read, only having conversed in passing, they would not be the most effective figureheads, and might let what little power a King or Queen has slide into obscurity.

The longest reigning European Monarch: Louis XIV

Longest British Monarch: Victoria I

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 20th, 2004, 12:45:38 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
100 year olds (or 77 year olds for that matter) should be cared for by incompetent nurses in an old folks' home, not sitting on a throne and wearing a crown. Let the monarchy pass to someone who's actually cognizant of their surroundings. Aren't Queens and Kings obliged to die when their heirs are full-ripe for kingship?

I guess you wouldn't mind when you turn 77 if you kids throw you in a nursing home. There are some people who can be very active even into their 90s, its not like she is doing anything of matters of state anyway, the whole position is a just a figure head.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 20th, 2004, 04:38:19 PM

-_-

Nong. Old people are just as sharp and capable as when they are 25 in a lot of cases. In some cases, more so. I've dealt with oldies, who would put some of us to shame with they way they understand PC's - one of my clients is probably the worlds oldest user of Mozilla! She would be very offended that at 87 she should be carted off to a home or looked after. Her husband is nearing 90 and he is in charge of a multi million dollar business - and frankly, there's no putting one over him, he's sharper than a razor blade.

When you reach 77, I think you'll see just how plain stupid your comment was.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 20th, 2004, 04:51:10 PM

I'm exercising Logans Run Law on you when you reach 30

Darth Viscera
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:01:40 PM
Marcus, I promise you that if indeed I am King, when I turn 70 I will abdicate just to prove my point.

A real royal would step aside when their heir is ready to take their place. It's the kingly thing to do.

Darth Viscera
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:12:59 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
I'm exercising Logans Run Law on you when you reach 30

you'll reach 30 before i do, so you'll have long ago succumbed to the homer.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 20th, 2004, 06:13:57 PM
Marcus, I promise you that if indeed I am King, when I turn 70 I will abdicate just to prove my point.

A real royal would step aside when their heir is ready to take their place. It's the kingly thing to do.

The Kingly thing to do is to hang onto the crown until Death, because that is the oath that is sworn.

With the way medicine and society is going, there is a resonable expectation that 1/3 of all children born in the west in the last few years COULD see 2101. It is no longer the case that you retire and just wait to die in a few years - people can and are having entirely new lives after 60 and discivering that age is no barrier anymore and probably never was. You have a resonable expectation to reach 100. You havethe expectation of being fit and well at 70, so much so that you could have 30 years more productive and resourceful life.

Your point will be mute at 70, because you will more than likely be still more than capable of matching it with anyone younger.

Tear
Mar 20th, 2004, 09:10:17 PM
I wonder what the Cap on the human life span will be in years to come or..if there is one. dun dun dunnnn