PDA

View Full Version : Fulfilling Our Obligations (Desaria)

Tiberius Anar
Mar 14th, 2004, 01:17:02 PM
The Imperial Cabinet meets once a week in a room near to the Chancellor's Office at the Chancellry. It is made up of all the ministers and certain officials who it is felt should be included in the deliberations that take place.

Of course the Cabinet has little actual power. Its members are appointees of the Lord High Chancellor, his minions who do his bidding on a daily basis. But they can advise him on the best course of action. That is why they meet- to try to influence the holder of true power.

On this occasion he was late. An unusual accurance that annoyed some of the Cabinet, and made others worried. They kept glaning at chronos, thinking of the paperwork building up in their offices or of the secretaries who they could be wooing. The State is always in motion, and does not always wait for its leaders.

"Gentlemen. Ladies."

The doors had opened to admit the Chancellor, Tiberius Anar. Everyone leaped to their feet, a show of respect that was routine in the corridors of power that they all inhabited. It also reminded them of their place: they rose for Anar, but he rose for no-one.

He went to his customary seat at the centre of the table. It is a semi-circular table with the space in the middle filled by a holo-plate. The Chancellor sits at the top of the curve from where he can see and hear everyone at the table.

"First item?" he said looking around expectantly.

Telan Desaria
Mar 14th, 2004, 05:05:02 PM
There were many in the Empire who saw it administration by a civilian power as a curse: Empires were not meant to be run by those who had never tasted the raw meat of battle, never tested their mettle against an enemy's verve. The military power, however, Grand Admiral Telan Desaria, saw the civil administration as a whole a blessing in disguise. While he had to jockey with his appointed Chancellor for power, his time was freed for that singular purpose for which men of his caste wee bread: war.

" My apologies," said a man as he strolled into the ornate room, taking its various paintings and wood-framed interior in with one sweep of his eyes. Immediately he spotted his chair, directly across the long axis of the table from His Excellency, the Lord High Chancellor.

A Chancellor who looked not a little annoyed by the man's late presence.

The man was Petr Pavlovich Oster, Rear Admiral in the Imperial Navy and officer of the General Staff. His mission, the purpose for which he had been assigned, was to liaise with the politicians for the almighty Imperial war machine.

Oster took his seat, smoothed his tunic with a sweep of his hand, and plopped down into its padded recesses. His face might have been young had the muzik beard he was cultivating not been made of a most pristine white. Then again, such a beard was not grown by young men, whatever appearance they belied.

" Please, go on."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 15th, 2004, 12:05:43 PM
"Admiral, please explain your presence." Anar had been expecting to see Grand Admiral Desaria in that seat, not one of his subordiantes.

Telan Desaria
Mar 15th, 2004, 12:39:55 PM
" Ah, that."

The Rear Admiral shuffled several flimsiplasts about before him, enjoying the opportunity to be seated at a polished wooden table as opposed to the cold, darkened steel so prevelant in the halls of High Command.

" The Grand Admiral is currently en route home from Porall and is expected to oversee maneuvers near Eriadu. As of General Order 663829" - he handed it to a civilian yeoman, replete with tie and coat, who marched down the ranks of ministers to hand it to the Chancellor - " a member of the General Staff's Liaison Department will be filling in for him, most likely me.

" Allow me to introduce myself. I am Rear Admiral Petr Pavlovich Oster, holder of the Imperial Cross as well as the Caridan Cross in Silver and Shint. My former commands include the Bastion Sector Fleet, in the interim that is, the Mayagil Sector Fleet, and several other key posts, of which I will happily speak if you require further credentials."

The Admiral did not like being questioned, but he was used to it. He had been liaising with officers haughty and powerful all his career, from Moffs to regional governors. Chancellor Anar, he considered, was different only in title.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 15th, 2004, 02:56:40 PM
Anar glanced at the flimstat handed to him by the aide- an excerpt from the volumous General Orders by which the armed forces lived. He placed it upon the table top with care, as if handling a bomb. In a very real sense he was.

Desaria, in person, could always be relied upon to grasp the presenet political realities of the Imperial Sovereignty, but his representative might not have such a keen grasp of them. He was a career officer- likely to believe that the military was the highest power in the Sovereignty. Such an belief could lead to complecations.

"It is customary, Admiral, for ministers or their representatives to arrive on time," he cast a glance around the room, seeking approval for this statement. Some of the ministers smiled.

Anar moved as if to check the agenda and then, with out looking up, added.

"It is also customary, admiral, for them to observe the rules of ettiquette in my presence." Oster had neglected to use the term 'Excllency' to which Anar had become accustomed.

Anar allowed this to sink in before looking in the direction of Foreign Minister Shen. "Minister, you have something for us?"

The minister nodded his small, egg-like head in response. "Yes Excellency, I do."

"The Treaty with Corellia...

Telan Desaria
Mar 15th, 2004, 04:11:13 PM
The Rear Admiral smiled to himself, not daring to let such a display out into the open with the ravenous politicians. He had been here, done this, gone through the motions all too many times before. The first time was never easy.

" If I may, Your Excellency," Oster said, emphasizing the Lord Chancellor's title," Corellia is in fact an Imperial Protectorate - the document the Minister from the Foreign Officer holds should be referred to as the Terms of Accession as Agreed between the Grand Admiral and the Supreme Council of Sith Lords. Just a point of order. I yield the floor, Minister."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:24:53 AM
Shen, who had been about to embark on his favourite pass-time of speaking, stopped dead. He turned his small, gimlet eyes upon the admiral and then slowly, very deliberately turned away.

"The Treaty with Correllia breaks down into two distinct parts. First: an undertaking on our part to defend that system with our sizable fleet and army. In exchange for which we are granted the use of their shipyards.

"Second: a mutual agreement to conduct operations against the New Republic and Jedi. This agreement was reached to compensate for our individual shortcomings. On the part of the Sith administration on Corellia their lack of offensive military capacity, and on ours an inability to overcome the Jedi.

"This agreement was negotiated by Grand Admiral Desaria, prior to the inception of this administration." Shen was refering to the time when the military ruled the Imperial Sovereignty, a time now long gone.

"For since its creation this agreement has been active only in its first part. We have provided ample protection for Corellia and they have provided us with access to their substansial shipyards. The second part of the agreement, however, has remained dormant."

Telan Desaria
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:14:58 AM
Oster waited to see if the Minister of Foreign Affairs was finished before he spoke again. Chances were, Marshal Prem, friend and vaunted Chief of the General Staff, would send him back here as a permament post, and the last thing he wanted were enemies on the first day.

" That, I may be able to shed some light on."

Oster opened his attache case and removed a small pile of crystal sheets. The aide who had first handed the Chancellor his marchin orders dutifully distributed the sheets about to the various ministers. When their thumb prints had been confirmed, the textual information stored in the vast crystaline archives was fetched forth.

" Before you is the entire file from Imperial Intelligence on the planet of Almania," Oster said, saying the name with no long vowels as Balmorrans tended to do. " Contained therein is information on defensesm prominent residents; a basic dossier on everything of any importance."

" Why you ask? Imperial Intelligence at the behest of the Inquisitoriate has been putting together a joint operation with the Sith. Their goal shall be to hit Almania and eliminate the jedi currently thereupon."

The Minister of the Interior rose a eyebrow in question, and was cordially recognized by the somewhat well-rounded Rear Admiral.

" When does this mission commence?"

" Colonel Tear, the operational commander, departed earlier this morning for Corellia where he will meet up with his Sith counetrparts and commence."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 16th, 2004, 12:58:02 PM
"Commence what, may I ask?" Minister of Propoganda Ernst Blomberg, his thin face turned in the direction of the admiral.

Telan Desaria
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:01:16 AM
" Why, the mission itself. I have not yet been briefed on the full details, but from what I understand, an enclave of Jedi resting comfortable on Almania is going to have a tought time of it when our Sith-Imperial commando force arrives."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 17th, 2004, 01:00:19 PM
The ministers looked from to another, their concern evident. Anar could understand: an attack on the Jedi was an attack on the New Republic.

"This was done with out our consent?" aksed Welfare Minister Ilsa Varburg. She looked at the Chancellor, rather than at the admiral. Varburg was a staunch believer in the superiority of the Civil Administration.

"I was not aware that such a mission was planned," replied Anar. His words were carefully chosen so that he could wiggle out if needs be.

"How do you explain this ommission?" demanded Varburg, her large blue eye boring into Oster.

Telan Desaria
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:10:39 PM
" I explain it simply. Military operations are not channeled to anyone for approval except the Supreme Commanders and the General Staff. If you are worried about New Republic reprisal, then we are in little more of a threat shade than we are for having taken Bestine.

" You must understand that the General Staff informing you of such details is a priviledge. The Military is answerable to the civilian authorities, of that there is no question, but that is in who we go to war with - not how we go about executing that very war."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:13:09 PM
"And yet the objective of such action must be approved by us," pointed out Minister Varburg. Several heads nodded in agreement.

Telan Desaria
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:52:30 PM
" There are, as yet, some flaws to be worked out in the coordination between the High Command and Civil Administration. You can understand just how difficult it is for an organization as large and expansive as the military to coordinate its every effort with a new department. If I understand things correctly, Marshal Prem, Chief of the General Staff, is selecting a member of the Kommissaariat Politik to act in my stead. They are civilians but wholly abreast of military workings."

Let them stewon the idea of having a Moff sit in my chair. Perhaps they will be less hostile.

" I again apologize for the inconvenience. Excuse me."

With that, the Admiral departed the room, soon to return. His things remain displayed before him, msot of which had SECRET stamped in either digital media or text of flimisplast.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 18th, 2004, 08:03:58 AM
The minister shared looks of surprise. No-one left this room in such a manner unless they wished to resign their post. No minister, any way.

Several looked to Anar, who was sitting in his chair with his fingers stepeled and his eyes closed. After a moment his eyes snapped open.

"He will be back," he said calmly.

"How can you possibly no that," Minister Varburg burst out, he tone desparaging. She had building up to an argument the admiral, but his departure had left her no outlet for her hostile energy. She vented it on the first target avaliable- Anar.

Anar looked at the ceiling as he spoke, "He left his files."

Minister Blomberg laughed, and the others joined in.

"But what about his threat, Excellency," demanded Varburg.

"His threat?" asked Anar, "What threat?"

"To appoint a Moff," she explained, "To sit there."

"Oh I don't think we need worry about that." Anar's voice was soothing, inside he was lashing her with every thought. Idiot! You allowed emotion to cloud your judgement. The Moffs are politicians, they won't send one to represent them.

A ripple of realisation ran round the room.

Telan Desaria
Mar 18th, 2004, 09:02:52 AM
How odd, thought Oster as he returned to the meeting chamber. His files were in the same order he had left them, disturbance unapparent. He had left them out hoping they would glance them over and save him the trouble of explaining the operation - - an operation he knew very little of. He was hoping they would see there was no secret, no animosity between comrades. No such luck.

" I apologize for the interruption, my comm began to vibrate. I spoke with Moff Zinetti, who informed me of a meeting I had forgotten an hour from now. In the mean time, I will answer whatever questions I can."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 18th, 2004, 02:13:52 PM
Anar waved the admiral to his seat, saying, "Quite alright, admiral."

Once Oster was settled back in his seat Anar spoke again, "We were discussing the planned joint operation with the Sith. Whilst I admit that this is not a matter that falls within our jurisdiction," he indicated the members of the Cabinet, "I am bound to say that I am somewhat surprised that we were not consulted before now."

He glanced, surrepticiously, in Blomberg's direction. Blomberg took his cue. "I concur, Excellency. Although this is a military matter it is the Civil Administration that must present it to the people."

"And it is we who fund it," added Baron Wilhelm Breger, Prefect of the Treasury.

It was like watching a well rehersed hover-ball play. Anar passes to Blomberg. Blomberg to Breger. Breger sets it up for Anar

"Matters which, by the IHC's own admission, the military is ill-equipped to deal with," said Anar in his most reasonable tone, "Not to impune your intelligence, but you do not know what the people will accept, nor can you access to the credits to pay for operations. It is the Civil Administration's duty to warn, to counsel, and to advise you on such matters. Let us fulfill that duty by reviewing the details of this mission."

Anar scores!

Telan Desaria
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:34:52 PM
" With all sincerity and no flippant intentions, Lord Chancellor, I remind you all that every person in this room has level-Delta security clearance had can thus access every General Order which is brought into being, including" - Oster shuffled a few more papers for the object in questions - " number 637984."

Oster brought his hands back down when he was done and rested them on the table-top.

" The operation I cannot describe in detail as I have not yet been fully briefed. I can tell you that the people need only be informed that our promises to the Sith are being kept, and the Empire does not abandon its allies.

" I can repeat only what I know, and that is little: a commando force under Colonel Tear of Imperial Intelligence will head to Almania to eliminate the Jedi on that world. Resistance from the New Republic will be slight as the world is minimally garrisoned and the resident warship, a Nebulon-D frigate, will be off-station on maneuvers."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 21st, 2004, 01:40:22 PM
Blomberg, who was the Sovereignty's chief spokesman, lept upon the admiral's comment about what the people needed to know. He did not both waiting for the Chancellor to ask him to speak- an indication of his ire, by the protocol of the Cabinet it was tantamount to shouting.

"Has the admiral forgotten our latest campaign?"

He refered to the propaganda programme entitled The Sith Myth which was running on the Sovereignty Broadcast Service at the time. It was designed to tell the people that the Sith were not as powerful as was generally believed.

"The people have had a month of programmes telling them that the Sith are nothing but a shell, a dried up husk. Do you really think that telling them that we are conducting operations with the Sith Order will make them feel any safer. If we do that they will see it as a u-turn. It will shake their confidence in the Civil Administration."

Anar smiled reassuringly at the minister, "Calm down, Ernst." This in the Cabinet was the equivalent of saying 'Shut Up!'. Blomberg's mouth snapped shut, but his eyes were drilling into Oster.

Telan Desaria
Mar 21st, 2004, 02:59:11 PM
" Minister, I did not think that the Ministry of Propaganda had run out material and had begun insulting our allies. May I remind the cabinet that without Corellia yards we will lose seventy-five percent of all shipbuilding capacity we have!

" Lord Chancellor, I am not a politician and certainly not a propagandist. I only make recommendations. This mission is the first official one with our allies and I would recommend that we not say a thing as to give them all the help possible. I would recommend we start talking the Sith up instead of down!"

Tiberius Anar
Mar 21st, 2004, 03:06:00 PM
"Admiral, calm yourself," Anar was in a waspish mood it seemed, "Minister Blomberg, explain."

Blomberg stared at the Chancellor, as if caught in the headlights of an oncomming vehcile. "Your Excellency, there was certain irrational fear amongst some segments of the population about the threat posed by the Sith. This campaign was intended to dispell the basis for that fear."

"It seems that you failed to conider the implications of your actions," Foreign Minister Shen was smiling across the room at the beleagered propagandist.

"You are Foreign Minister," hissed Blomberg, "you ought to have warned me..."

Telan Desaria
Mar 21st, 2004, 03:22:20 PM
Admiral Oster sat back and watched the politicians hiss at each other like negallese cats. There was nothing he could say, and he certainly did not intend for that to happen. His job was to represent the Imperial military to the civilian authorities.

" Gentleman, it was a mistake. Simply put, let us correct the matter."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:34:56 PM
Anar looked at Oster then in a different light. This kind of internal discent was just the sort of thing that most in the IHC would dearly love to see. It was the sort of incident that a military leader would want to see, as such strife could keep the Civil Administration from gaining total control of the Imperial Sovereignty, wresting whatever power the military still had from their leather gloved hands. Yet Oster seemed unhappy that just such an incident had occurred.

As the two ministers glowered at each other across the room, Anar was making lightning calculations. If Oster did not find such strife amenable, as Desaria or Tchort or Prem would, then his presence was a good thing. with militarist set on causing discent in the ministerial ranks at the table, Anar's job would be far easier. He smiled.

"Th admiral is quite correct, it was a mistake that should have been avoided," he cast his gaze over the Foreign Minister who seemed to shrink into his chair, "and can be corrected." His vision shifted to take in Propaganda Minister. Blomberg gave a stiff nod.

"Now, Admiral Oster, this mission what is its chance of success?"

Telan Desaria
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:41:51 PM
" Again, I am not privy to all the details, but Colonel Tear was very enthusiastic. He has proven himself competent in the past, so I would place a good deal of stock in success."

Tiberius Anar
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:00:05 PM
Anar looked around the ministers, inviting their comments.

Interior Minister Farras spoke up, "Excellency, if this Tear is the designated leader of the mission it would seem wise to trust his judgement."

There were nods around the room.

"That seems reasonable," agreed Anar. He could see no other arguments- Blomberg had blown the Propoganda argument and Shen had not helped. And the Civil Dministration was bound to accept the advice of the military officers that dealt with such things. "I think we can move on to the next item, Admiral we will expect reports."

Telan Desaria
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:29:06 PM
" As soon as Command receives them, they will be sent to your Office, Excellency."

Tiberius Anar
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:34:43 PM
"Good." He glanced at the agenda. "Next item?"

COMPLETE