PDA

View Full Version : Swords banned in Australia. Are butter knives and large rocks next?

Charley
Mar 12th, 2004, 06:07:56 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8907485%255E2862,00.html

:|

what.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 12th, 2004, 06:09:48 PM
Victoria != australia. Victoria = Police state.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Mar 12th, 2004, 06:22:14 PM
Still, the sheer dumbness of it is uncanny, and unfortunate.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 12th, 2004, 06:44:31 PM
The new laws will make it illegal to sell swords to anyone who does not have a permit.

There is nothing wrong with liscensing weapons,

Charley
Mar 12th, 2004, 06:55:06 PM
Originally posted by Sith Ahnk
There is nothing wrong with liscensing weapons,

How much will these "sword lisences" cost?

How will they be issued?

On what basis will issuance be denied?

What are the requirements for becoming a "lisenced sword owner"?

I can keep going on about the utterly idiotic reasoning here. Its a crappy law, pandering to thought-crime lobbyists, and to soccer moms who want fluff legislation in the books.

Darth007
Mar 12th, 2004, 07:32:47 PM
yeah but did you read the article? its obvious that the place is having problems with crimes involving swords. The severing of a guys hand, a 13 year old kid threatening a cop with one, the murder of another guy.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 12th, 2004, 07:38:19 PM
Originally posted by Darth007
yeah but did you read the article? its obvious that the place is having problems with crimes involving swords. The severing of a guys hand, a 13 year old kid threatening a cop with one, the murder of another guy.

The article is total BS. There IS no real problem. It's a few isolated frikking idiots. THAT is all. There si no sword waving masses out looking to kill everyone. YOU read the article next time properly. Charley's comment is entirely correct.

Azhure Darkstone
Mar 12th, 2004, 07:51:44 PM
Swords? why not ban unbrella's. Two blocks away from where I live a 15 year old stabbed a 19 year old guy to death with one of those unbrellas that have a sharp end. Still there are liscensing for guns, and swords are just as dangerous, I guess people will have to stick to umbrella's and butcher knives.

Quay'Na Rakai
Mar 12th, 2004, 07:56:05 PM
So, umm if they are going to make everyone get licenses for these, what's gonna stop the one's causing the problems from getting licenses too? I mean, really. Are they gonna have a question asking, 'are you planning on killing someone with this?'

Crazy law....geez...

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 12th, 2004, 08:29:15 PM
It's not like it's hard to make some sort of sword anyway.

AmazonBabe
Mar 12th, 2004, 09:38:38 PM
Wow... that's just messed up.

Ryan Pode
Mar 12th, 2004, 09:55:59 PM
A 21-year-old man had his hand severed by a samurai sword in a confrontation between 40 men in the Fitzroy Gardens a fortnight ago -- the second brawl involving swords in 24 hours.

A lost hand is probably the best thing that could have happened.

Charley
Mar 12th, 2004, 10:35:48 PM
Bonus points if his dad was the one who did it.

Ryla Relvinian
Mar 12th, 2004, 10:45:23 PM
Death by Paper Cuts! Muahhahahahhaaa!!

When paper is a crime, only criminals will have paper.

*packs up soccer team and heads to practice* ;)

Sith Ahnk
Mar 13th, 2004, 11:14:30 PM
Somtimes you guys scare me.

Charley
Mar 14th, 2004, 03:06:40 AM
Somtimes you guys scare me.

Why? Because we put some value in personal freedom?

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:10:53 AM
I don't see the big deal in having people get licences first.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:36:37 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I don't see the big deal in having people get licences first.

Might I then ask, how the hell a licence is goign to stop sword posession or use? What exactly is this law going to achieve, other than to make 99% of law abiding citizens who have a clue, into criminals for having swords?

What will be next, axes? Machetes? Rakes? Shovels? Mattocks? Long bits of wood? Perfectly legal and useful devices that are just as lethal, in some cases liek a axe, even more so?

Or how about my bow and arrows set. I rather like shooting targets and right now, perfectly legal and safe in my hands. I will NOT give them up because some morons think that the removal of such devices prevent crime. If anything, a properly used bow and arrow is even more lethal and much easier to get away with, because of it's silence. It takes me 30 seconds to break the bow down into something that can be hidden. So lets ban them too. Oh, no matter that a person who KNOWS how to shoot them would be highly unlikely to use them in a crime.

A sword, unless the user is properly trained, is more dangerous to the user. and I expect a properly trained person would not use said sword anyway.

so, what is the point of this law if it does not make society safer and is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to a few highly isolated cases?And anyway, you think someone prepared to use a sword in a crime is goign to give a rip? "Oh, I'm sorry, I cant use this sword, it's unregistered!"

Honesty when are you people who think registration of weapons is good, when are you goign to realise that it does nothing to solve the problems of crime and weapons use in crime? That applying some solutions of dubious value in gun laws to sharp weapons just will not work, ever?

Now lets see the Strawmen arguments bought out. Guns and registration. I predict it wil be next post. Allow me to pre-empt and ignore you as the issues of guns and swords are quite different.

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:52:04 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Might I then ask, how the hell a licence is goign to stop sword posession or use? What exactly is this law going to achieve, other than to make 99% of law abiding citizens who have a clue, into criminals for having swords?
Wont do anything, but I don't see the big deal. Just short of having some bad past, I would guess everyone who has swords or wants swords will still be able to get swords.

Oh and to appease you, I think guns should have to be registered. I don't see the need to do it with swords, but I don't see the big problem with doing it.

Abbyka Laine
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:00:55 AM
Swing hard enough and you could kill someone with a spoon. Everything in this world is a weapon. You can't just pad up every corner and take away all the sharp objects and hope no one gets hurt.

Alpha
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:40:56 AM
Exactly. you could concievable kill someone with a empty can of soda. Are they gonna make us register when we grab some Vanilla Pepsi next?

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:45:14 AM
Alpha, I think it's slightly harder to hurt someone with a spoon or can ;)

Abbyka Laine
Mar 14th, 2004, 10:17:11 AM
Not if you rip the can apart and go for the wrists or jugular.

Paperclips can even kill. It all depends on how you use it.

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:39:21 PM
Just ask a prison guard about the dangers of a spoon or a can.

Give me a metal grinder and a thing strip of metal and I'll give you a weapon that can drive through your chest and out the other end.

Azhure Darkstone
Mar 16th, 2004, 01:17:53 AM
The reality now is if you want a sword bad enough you get a license and pay money to be able to kill someone, that way the government gets extra money for your court case. I agree with this action and I disagree at the same time. There is a point and I don't think the government is stupid enough to put a license on a spoon. It won't make much difference accept inflame those who see this as a serious threat of freedom.
It's a bit like when the government tried to ban guns in Australia, now that was a comic time, and a few good folk songs came out of that, Eric Bogle making a ripper of a song.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:19:19 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/17/1079199257494.html?from=storyrhs

iS THE BAN ON uMBRELLAS A GOER NOW?

Charley
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:27:06 PM
DAMN YOU OSWALD COBBLEPOT!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:29:34 PM
Originally posted by Charley
DAMN YOU OSWALD COPPERPOT!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!

I almost laughed up a lung :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:50:04 PM
Police have charged a 45-year-old man from Lysterfield on summons with recklessly causing serious injury, assault with a weapon and unlawful assault.
How can you NOT cause serious injury recklessly?

How can assault be lawful?????

:lol

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:13:09 PM
There is such a thing as lawful assault. It's called self Defense.

Deliberate injury is termed Greivious Bodily Harm.

Azhure Darkstone
Mar 16th, 2004, 11:33:53 PM
another umbrella incident. cool.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 17th, 2004, 04:25:39 AM
Anyone can kill anyone with anything.

Doen't mean Saddam Scmhoe should be running around with nerve gas, does it?

Charley
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:23:52 PM
Nerve gas can't be used in a practical manner for self defense purposes.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 17th, 2004, 06:00:22 PM
If some guy breaks into your house with a gun... put on a gas mask, put you kids under the blankets, and open up a can?

Charley
Mar 17th, 2004, 06:59:35 PM
Originally posted by Charley
Nerve gas can't be used in a practical manner for self defense purposes.

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 17th, 2004, 09:07:24 PM
If some guy breaks into your house with a gun... put on a gas mask, put you kids under the blankets, and open up a can?

I'm reminded of Lewis Black's stand-up act

"If it weren't for my horse..."

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 17th, 2004, 09:18:02 PM
...speaking of swords, hopefully soon I'll own one. :D

Jason Dreggs
Mar 17th, 2004, 09:23:35 PM
Weapons don't kill people. people kill people.

i say we ban people instead of banning weapons. :LOL

Sith Ahnk
Mar 18th, 2004, 01:27:54 AM
Originally posted by Jason Dreggs
i say we ban people instead of banning weapons.

There have already been proposed laws on stupid people.

Rasha Vill
Mar 18th, 2004, 01:37:53 PM
But who would be the judge on who is stupid enough to be effected bt these laws?

Azhure Darkstone
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:47:50 AM
thats the problem.

March Kalas
Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:04:23 PM
that's not the problem. The problem is the black market. Most criminals own weapons illegally anyway, banning weapons won't help get rid of the criminals' weapons, it will help get rid of the law abiding citizens' weapons and ability to defend themselves. We need to attack the black market, not the right for law abiding citizens to own and bear weapons.