PDA

View Full Version : Looking for temp monitors...

Mu Satach
Mar 10th, 2004, 05:39:20 PM
I'm looking for something I can use to monitor my CPU temp and log it for analysis.

I've looked at :
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ (doesn't support my board)

http://mbprobe.livewiredev.com (still trying to figure out how to set it up, so far it just sits there. )

Anyway, looking for quick tips, tricks or whatnot about watching CPU temps as I'm a total newb and my CPU is having heating issues...

and yes my fan is working. ;)

danke!

Morgan Evanar
Mar 10th, 2004, 05:48:52 PM
What kind of board/chipset/model? Many manufactures make specific packages to do this. I can give you a hand if you give me more info. :)

Mu Satach
Mar 10th, 2004, 06:00:06 PM
Dell 4550 Dimension
Intel Pentium IV 2.4 512 integrated cache

Adia Issoris
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:41:19 PM
Ummmm... that doesn't really help, since intel made about eight chipsets which supports that config. i845? i865, i875? I'm really suprised MBM 5 didn't pick it up, since it should. Did you follow the detection procedure?

Mu Satach
Mar 11th, 2004, 12:31:21 PM
Processor, 80532, 2.4G, 512K, 533, SKN, C1
Card (Circuit), Planar (Motherboard), DIM4550, A/N

but it's now a moot point...

it's dead Jim. =P

later -

I get a new momboard & chip!
Hooray for me.

imported_Firebird1
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:04:52 AM
Dell...Overheat?

That should be covered under the License....

Mu Satach
Mar 12th, 2004, 02:07:35 AM
ummm... Hai!

This is the first time I've seen gooey stuff around the chip and heatsink... and the board is dead dead dead... a very interesting experience.

Titus
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:35:54 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
This is the first time I've seen gooey stuff around the chip and heatsink...

*blink*

[edit] Yeah, an overheat & meltdown should be under your Dell warranty, (I would think)

Figrin D'an
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:38:47 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
ummm... Hai!

This is the first time I've seen gooey stuff around the chip and heatsink... and the board is dead dead dead... a very interesting experience.

You mean all of the thermal tape was melted?

Or did it have thermal grease?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:48:42 PM
It sounds more like some of the voltage regulation failed, because P4s don't overheat unless something of that sort fails. Thermal throttling and all.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:53:18 PM
A PIV having a meltdown? That would be a first.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:54:44 PM
Like I just conjectured, unless the chip was seriously flawed or damaged from the factory, the board and/or power supply is at fault.

Mu Satach
Mar 13th, 2004, 04:52:19 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
You mean all of the thermal tape was melted?

Or did it have thermal grease?

and me without my digicam...

the heatsink has a piece of silvery like foil that was between it and the chip, There is black stuff that oozed out from behind the silvery tape(?) and got on the chip. Apparently the chip got so hot that it imprinted itself including reverse images of the tiny etched numbers on top of the chip into the silvery tape.

This computer has been driving me nutso since last summer with random BSOD errors, such as
pagefault in a nonpaged area
IRQ less than zero
win32.sys
and on and on and on... and the only thing MS's crash analysis told me was "Device driver error"

I have updated every device driver and then system restored it to uninstalled every driver I possibly could and every piece of software imaginable. The system would be stable for a while but then it was like the cat came back the very next month... then two weeks, then about once a week, and then in Nov. it became so unstable and was crashing so often it killed my HD.

Debugged & reformated the HD, did a thorough run through with diagnostic tools all checked out... everything seemed ok.. for about a month
then BAM!

it started all over again...
I've swapped out
the ram
the vid card
then I began to notice that if it hadn't been on for a long time it would be fine for a few hours but then it would crash and would not come back up... but if it sat for a few more hours then it would be fine again for a while.

Thought for a brief second "dear god... could it be just my..... FAN!?!?!
HOW THE HELL DID I MISS THAT???"

then noticed the fan was working.... hmmmm...
maybe there's something blocking airflow?
Opened up the little airflow cover and about burnt the flesh off my knuckles when they scraped against the heatsink.

Luckily, most of the office was at lunch and didn't hear my scream.

A ha! Waston! *this* might be part the problem... let's load a temp monitor and see if we can control the temp better... hmmm... let us try some out. This one?

and then...

it flatlined......................................... .................................

el press power button and nothing
NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!
=[
followed shortly by maniacle laughter...
"ding dong the wicked witch is dead!"
>=]

Pulled up my express service #,
called dell...
merrily went through the lame motions of
"check that the power cord is plugged directly into the wall socket"
"swap power cords" "ok, pull out the RAM" "vid card" "disconnect HD"

it's still mostly dead Jim, but slightly alive...
there's a green light on the motherboard, but the diagnostic lights in the rear of the tower are out...

"Well then, it's your lucky day. We'll be sending you a new motherboard, power supply and chip."

:crack