PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Mods/Admins

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 10th, 2004, 12:08:03 AM
I'm posting this here to get a general consensus on how best to handle a player who's character is what one might term as a "God PC" - power gamer.

I'm currently in a thread under another character that started off really well. However, a certain player's character has pulled some posts that are blatant god-moding posts.

First, the character is a vampire, then its a dark sith lord, then its something else entirely and apparently has no weaknesses, can kick anyone's ass without getting a simple scratch. This player posts the actions of other characters - I'm not talking about simple actions such as "So and so walks along with so and so" - I'm talking about posts that drastically affect the other character - like feeding off of the character when he never pm'd the player to ask if this can be done!

The posts are kind of confusing as to exactly who's character he is attacking, throwing around like a rag doll, etc etc and its pretty clear that this person isn't truly reading the posts made by others since the setting is during the day and the person keeps insisting that its night.

I don't want to hurt the person's feelings, but this is getting rather annoying to be quite honest. I also don't want to have to pm the other players involved to state that they need to hold their posts until the other person edits theirs.

So what I want to know from the Mods and Admins is how best to approach this God-PC to address these issues without it turning into a huge confrontation that would result in hurt feelings, etc, etc.

imported_Blade Ice
Mar 10th, 2004, 01:51:43 AM
I am not a mod or an admin but I do believe I know which thread you are talking about. Me having a vampire hunter character I tend to read allot of threads with vampires in them. If I do in fact no of the thread you are talking about my review of it is this.

I do see minor offenses of god moding then again I have seen this particular character do allot worse. I did see him mention that it was day in the thread almost night and you or osme else in the thread state it was morning. That problem could be easily fixed by pming him more then likely. Also his claims of being a vampire and a dark lord aka sith are true to his character. I might have missed his claim of being something because I didn't see it mind you i scemed through the thread.

I would say your best bet is to pm him and work out the issues. If he doesn't comply eather stop the thread or go to a mod about it.

Also on the issue of him biting a character it technically doesn't break any rules. He isn't maming or killing the character. You won't be turned eather because thats up to the player entirely. Just because a vampire bites you and drinks a little of your blood doesn't mean you will become one.

I do see where your coming from though on how you don't like the idea that he didn't give you the chance to fend for yourself. It comes down to how you prefer to fight.

again best bet PM him.

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 10th, 2004, 08:05:46 AM
I appreciate it, Blade, thank you :) I think I'm having a hard time with coming up on how best to word the pm, if that makes sense. Again, I dont want to offend anyone or hurt feelings.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:57:19 AM
Link to the thread please. :) We can bring down the righteous right hand on him. Or her. Just need to see it for ourselves.

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 10th, 2004, 02:34:44 PM
Alrighty. It's this thread:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34353&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

12th post down the page and part of the 17th post on the page. After the 12th post, I had him edit it, but it wasn't really edited much at all, but instead of arguing over it, I figured out a way to work with what had been thrown at me. Plus, two others had posted before the one guy could edit his post - kinda felt like I had to work with what was there by that point.

I appreciate any help or advice in this situation, Lil :) Thanks.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 10th, 2004, 03:41:16 PM
Actually I had to take my master trial from Dark Lord Soth once... If that wasn't a lesson on how to deal with whatever's (godmoding) thrown at you, then I don't know what will be.

I can't figure out what posts you're talking about (got the first one, the edited one) so if you could refer to them by the post number in the corner of the post that would help. :)

Dalamar....*le sigh!* Before I give any help or advice - it looks like the thread is nearly over? I just skimmed it, I'm on a short lunch at work and I don't have enough time to read the whole thing. If Dalamar has already exited the thread, there isn't much we can do. For sure, although he bit you without your permission, you can't be turned into a vamp without your permission, so don't let him try to tell you you can.

If you need him to edit the latest post, PM him, explain how you think it's godmoding, and tell him you'd rather keep the mods out of it, which might encourage him to simply tone it down before a mod has to step in. If he edits but it doesn't change anything, then I'll PM him. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 10th, 2004, 04:31:04 PM
Shit, not Dalamar...... My sympathy for you

Actually I had to take my master trial from Dark Lord Soth once... If that wasn't a lesson on how to deal with whatever's (godmoding) thrown at you, then I don't know what will be.

Word up sista.

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 10th, 2004, 05:10:37 PM
:) I appreciate the sympathy, Marcus :)

Thanks again, Lil. I am not sure if Dalamar is completely out of it just yet. From what's posted recently, he's busy playing badass back at the diner by beating the snot out of Rognan. Poor fellow.

The edited post was the one of much concern but even though his edit didn't change that much of it ( I have content of the original post in the one that I made with the brief ooc note) - I managed to work around it, but it wasn't really to my liking (I'm my own worst critic when it comes to reading my own things :\) but it'll suffice.

I just hate reading a post that makes me roll my eyes and say to myself "And I left IRC for this?!" - IE: "So and so stalks through the diner, killing everyone in his path." Paaa-leeaasseee!

And that whole bit about the char feeling ecstacy from his biting her neck - I think NOT! Pardon, but the only characters that will be making any of mine feel ecstacy will be those rp'd by my fiance :p

I'd hate to have to end up posting things in the storytelling forum because both my fiance and I don't really know too many others here and I like when others I haven't had the opportunity to rp with before participate in a thread I've created. I enjoy meeting new people and getting to know others a little better - I'm not very good at it in the beginning as I am a bit shy, but I do like to meet others.

I'm also the type of person who believes that everyone should be included if they so wish to be. I realize that opens me up to situations such as this one where there is God moding, however - its something I would more expect from an adolescent and not from an adult whom is my age!

My philosophy is that the younger ones act out in ways that they are unable to in their real life or something and eventually, the more they rp, the better they will become - as well as over time and as maturity occurs.

But for an adult to post things like "Kills everyone in his path. Pulls out a short sword, pulls out a katana then another katana and yadda yadda yadda "... come on, seriously....

Is the char a sith lord? Is the char a vamp? Is the char a horny-devil looking for love? Make up the mind and stick with it, you know?

I accept that Dalamar is a vamp - barely, but I do. I can accept that his char is trained in the dark arts. Do the dark arts include knowing Sith Magics? I'm not sure but geez louise! First you have the powers that come from being a vampire, adding to that the force of the dark side PLUS the Sith Magics .... :rolleyes

Sorry, I'm ranting :) I'll stop now.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 10th, 2004, 09:13:10 PM
Dalamar's had a few personal issues that have been made public. I think at least part of his frustration with those issues is being vented through RP; in order to feel better about himself, he's pushing the limits of what he can get away with.

That, however, is a matter of opinion.

imported_Blade Ice
Mar 10th, 2004, 09:55:52 PM
I have seen him do allot worse godmoding then this. So I say its pretty minor for what he could be doing. Dalamar is the you got to take it in strides if your going rp with him kind of guy. He is a vampire and he is a shriner (which promotes god moding no offense to those there that don't). the the shrine establish them selves at sith vampire so yes Dalamar is a Dark lord of the sith Vampire.

Also keep in mind he is going through a bad time at the moment.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:35:27 PM
Which doesn't excuse godmoding, and neither will it be tolerated.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:56:41 AM
Yeah, moderating the Shrine was a bitch.

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 11th, 2004, 06:18:47 PM
Yeah, I know about his personal issues. I'm decent friends with Alana. Anyways, I also agree with Lilaena about it not being an excuse for actions/behavior here on the boards. I tried to have a character in the Shrine long ago, but couldn't do it. I'm doing my best to take it in strides, but some things are just so over the top and blatant god-moding that I figured I'd ask for some advice on how best to deal/handle it.

I appreciate the advice, help, etc that's been posted here. Thank you :)