PDA

TheHolo.Net
Mar 9th, 2004, 01:25:18 AM
Over the last few weeks I have received a few complaints regarding the offensive nature of Charley having Hitler for an Avatar as those individulas perceive it. I can see the grounds for that perception and as such sent Charley a PM this evening nicely asking that he change it.

His response was non cooperative and quite the smart ass one, so as a result I have removed his avatar and made it so that he cannot affix another avatar to his account until I decide otherwise.

Being a smart mouth to any staff member is not acceptable. It is not permissible for any member to treat me or any of you disrespectfully.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 9th, 2004, 01:46:50 AM
The FAQ did not contain anything in the "Image Use" section regarding profanity or offensive images. I always thought of it as a given considering our censor policy but oh well. That oversight has now been rectified.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2004, 02:29:34 AM
I was just looking at a thread in OOC and quite a lot of peoples avatars aren't showing. Fett, Silus, Dru, Morgan, sIl, Ahnk, Rognan.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 9th, 2004, 02:31:47 AM
Their avatars just loaded for me in a thread in OOC. O_o

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2004, 02:42:34 AM
Okay they seem to be back o_O Crisis over.

That was weird, since it was only certain peoples avatars.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 9th, 2004, 02:45:53 AM
Charley and I have discussed the issue and come to an agreement that I misconstrewed his PM (due to my being stressed right now >_< ) and as such I have lifted his avatar probation.

imported_Eve
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:51:13 AM
I think Charley is an idiot for using that man's image for himself, but I always kind of thought it was free speech. I was offended myself when I first saw it. It made me sick to my stomach.

But this isn't just America here.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:37:26 AM
Crisis over? good.

As far as what was done, I think that the 'laughing hitler' was funny, showing the evil man in a horridly sarcastic way, and as such should have only been offensive to people who liked Hitler.

Do we really want to pander to HItler lovers?

edit: also, how many complaints are we talking about?? a few? three? THat hardly seems justifiable in my opinion.

JMK
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:01:11 AM
Hitler's face should not show up anywhere other than in history text books and other sources of reference. Look at the reaction to what Marge Schott said "Hitler was a good guy who just went too far". Uhh...I'd say so. Maybe she meant something by that, and maybe she didn't, but the uproar over that comment got her permanently labelled as a bad person save for a few opinions.
Personally I didn't take offense to the avatar and never even really thought twice about it, but that's just me not caring about much. I still don't think he should appear anywhere other than what I mentioned already.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2004, 11:35:55 PM
I can see it as being offensive to Jews. Sure it showed Hitler in a bad way but the man was just evil I wouldn't never chose that for avatar even if it is mocking him. It can just be taken the wrong way too easily.