PDA

View Full Version : Open Range

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:24:10 PM
I know I'm late, but this is easily Costner's best movie, in my opinion. Sitting right up there with The Postman and The Untouchables. I finally got around to bumming the dvd off a buddy, and even though I usually loathe cliche westerns, this movie was surprisingly great.

A bit lengthy, but good. Go rent it if you don't mind Costner too much.

Or you could just rent it for Robert Duvall's foul mouth.

Darth Vader
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:29:25 PM
What.

It kinda sucked dude.

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:33:17 PM
It was good for a Costner film...

right?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:44:14 PM
I enjoyed the movie it was the best Costner film in years actually. I also like Robert Duval in it.

Darth Vader
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:02:20 PM
Its the best Costner film next to Dances with Wolves.

That being said, every Costner movie outside of Dances with Wolves has really really sucked.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:05:03 PM
How can you say Field of Dreams and The Untouchables suck?? Field of Dreams to me is Costner's best film and the best film about baseball ever.

Charley
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:57:16 PM
Ok, I forgot about Field of Dreams. That was a pretty decent movie.

I stand by the rest though.

Figrin D'an
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:01:23 AM
Field of Dreams is the correct answer.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:02:20 AM
Well that is your opinion. I thought The Untouchables was an incredible movie. I actually liked Robin Hood it is a good popcorn flick.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:04:38 AM
Waterworld wasnt THAT bad. It's okay escapism.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:09:08 AM
Yeah its okay. He hasn't done much since that The Postman I found bad, Dragonfly boring, and I can't think of another movie he has done since.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:11:07 AM
300 miles to Graceland, with was so bad, I refuse to review it.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:12:21 AM
It was bad I watched it, I hated seeing him and Kurt Russell in such a bad bad movie.

jjwr
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:18:40 AM
He's done some good ones, I personally think Robin Hood and Field of Dreams are his best, with Untouchables right up there.

Postman & Waterworld were ok as long as you don't go in with too high of expectations.

CMJ
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:32:24 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I enjoyed the movie it was the best Costner film in years actually. I also like Robert Duval in it.

Nah, Thirteen Days rocked...though he was the film's weak link. Great movie however.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:57:42 AM
You know I forgot he was in that movie :p Yeah that was a great movie too.

darth_mcbain
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:06:26 PM
Costner's stuff typically doesn't bug me as much as it does some people, but some are obviously much worse than others. For me, Dances with Wolves is easily his best, followed by Field of Dreams, The Untouchables, and JFK. Just about all the rest I don't really like. I thought Robin Hood was kinda fun, but ultimately not all that good.

I haven't seen Open Range - it looks like it has the potential to be decent, but who knows. I'll rent it and watch it with my Dad, he's into Westerns...

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:34:06 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Waterworld wasnt THAT bad. It's okay escapism.
I agree. I think the big thing with that was the cost of it.

I loved The Untouchables, and Robin Hood was good.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:57:11 PM
Best thing about Robin Hood was Rickman really he stole that movie. Still some of the action was fun and it had a great score.

jjwr
Mar 9th, 2004, 07:13:15 AM
Rickman was great in that movie, its really too bad he didn't go further in hollywood after his two big villian roles(Die hard was the other).

Gotta love the whole ending scene to Robin hood though, I would still rank it as a top 10 fantasy/medieval movie, great all around.

I actually haven't seen Dances with Wolves yet, I've seen a few parts here and there but haven't sat down and seen the whole thing.

Wyatt Earp wasn't horrible either, though I liked Tombstone better.

ReaperFett
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:10:48 AM
Wyatt Earp suffered from coming out so close to Tombstone IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:23:13 AM
Rickman is still doing well for himself he is doing the Harry Potter films I am sure those movies are making him wealthy.

Charley
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:23:19 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Wyatt Earp suffered from coming out so close to Tombstone IMO.

It also suffered from sucking. Wyatt Earp is long, cumbersome, and has absolutely none of the bottled lightning qualities that Tombstone has.

ReaperFett
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:31:28 AM
I didn't think it sucked, it was just a bit dull. And because of it's proximity to Tombstone, it was automatically up against it.