PDA

View Full Version : I have an odd, but serious question.

Mitch
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:34:54 AM
I have a question that concerns copyright life and regulation.

I have a book, printed in 1906, that was never re-printed, and as far as my research goes, the publisher has long been out of business. I would like to know how to check to see if a copyright is still being held on the book so that I might be able to do a graphic novel adaptation if the copyright has expired.

Does anyone know how to check the status of a copyright to see if it is still in effect, or if the work has entered public domain?

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:42:37 AM
IIRC, copyrights have a finite existence of 75 years or so. I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.

Mitch
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:45:09 AM
It has to do with the published date. I believe that if it was piblished before 1964, then it has a life of twenty-eight years. All material published after 1964 has a copyright that endures until the author/creator dies, and twenty years after that.

I think that's how it goes, at least. In any case, I believe that the copyright would be expired by now, but I need to know how to check.

Mitch
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:09:33 AM
Okay, I really did do a lot of searching for the answer before making this thread, but just now I've found my answer.

Thanks for the input, though, it was appreciated.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:17:13 AM
...what was the answer!?

Sejah Haversh
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:20:04 AM
The book I was looking at appears to be in the public domain, so it's all fair to use. The author is long dead, and the publisher is out of business since decades ago. I can use it as a base for a graphic novel.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:35:02 AM
Copyright is lifetime of author + 70 years, used to be 50 until Disney bought a few Senators and got it changed. I'd imagine you would be more than clear.

Sejah Haversh
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:46:37 AM
That might be true for things published after 1964, but prior to that the copyright had to be renewed in it's 28'th year. If it wasn't renewed in that year, then the copyright lapsed, and it became public domain.

This book is from 1906, so it's pretty well and clear of copyright now.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2004, 06:59:41 AM
Writing a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-esque story, or just "starring" a particular character?

Sejah Haversh
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:49:11 PM
A straight-up retelling of the original book, but in comic form.