PDA

View Full Version : Martha Stewart... Guilty

Figrin D'an
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:32:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/05/stewart.main/index.html

Sentencing isn't until mid-June, and of course there will be an appeal, but for now, she's guilty on all four charges of obstruction of justice and insider trading.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 5th, 2004, 07:28:23 PM
Ha HA!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2004, 08:10:40 PM
I still think its a joke, I mean most of the guys involved in Enron will never be charged its hypocricacy. Still The most she will get is two years and I doubt she will get that much.

Jedieb
Mar 5th, 2004, 09:10:02 PM
She'll probably get 6 months to a year. I've got no problem with her being prosecuted for this. She and her broker broke the law. What I also want to see is every white collar dirt bag responsible for the Enron fiasco in jail as well. What's that Halliburton? You've been hiding money in off shore accounts to evade taxes? Then some of you have to go to jail as well. Some poor silly SOB sticks up a liqour store for $250 and nobody blinks an eye when he gets sent to Rikers. Well, if you bilk the government out of $250,000 in taxes you should wind up in the cell with a boyfriend named Bubba. And if you scam your company out of MILLIONS and destroy the retirement accounts of thousands of your employees then you deserve to be the prison whore of cell block D.

Harmony Cubel
Mar 5th, 2004, 09:16:36 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
She'll probably get 6 months to a year. I've got no problem with her being prosecuted for this. She and her broker broke the law. What I also want to see is every white collar dirt bag responsible for the Enron fiasco in jail as well. What's that Halliburton? You've been hiding money in off shore accounts to evade taxes? Then some of you have to go to jail as well. Some poor silly SOB sticks up a liqour store for $250 and nobody blinks an eye when he gets sent to Rikers. Well, if you bilk the government out of $250,000 in taxes you should wind up in the cell with a boyfriend named Bubba. And if you scam your company out of MILLIONS and destroy the retirement accounts of thousands of your employees then you deserve to be the prison whore of cell block D.

Here here!*

*Translation- I agree, wholeheartedly!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2004, 10:06:26 PM
I agree Jedieb that is my problem with it lets go after all the other guys who do this and we know it happens and they easily can get the evidence to convict them if they want to.

Charley
Mar 6th, 2004, 01:15:00 AM
I've not heard about the Halliburton thing. Is it out & out tax fraud, or just an issue of moving money so they pay less taxes. The latter is quite legal.

Darth Imperios
Mar 6th, 2004, 02:10:57 AM
while I agree that corporate law breakers should get busted, comparing somebody holding up a liquor store (I am assuming there are firearms or weapons being used) is like coparing apples and oranges. I can always make more money, reinvest, do something else. You threaten a person with death, i don't really care what it's over, unless it is personal security or the security of your loved ones and you are teetering on a dangerous edge because if you follow through on that threat, you don't come back from death, you can't just decide to do something else or reinvest if you're dead. Again though I still think corporate law breakers should get busted and busted hard, but I have no problem with sending a violent criminal up the river to live with bubba even though we don't to people embezzling more money.

Hart
Mar 6th, 2004, 02:28:31 AM
She'll do something to reduce her sentence. Maybe testify against others just use her connections to get an extremely short sentence.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 6th, 2004, 09:37:36 PM
Marth Stewart - guilty = 'Its a good thing' ;)

JediBoricua
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:15:35 PM
Making an example outta her. Corporate scandal were the last nail to the 'tanking economy' coffin.

The Fed's needed a high profile conviction, because really they wont get half the Enron people. *shake fists at the corporate pigs*

Jedieb
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:43:30 AM
while I agree that corporate law breakers should get busted, comparing somebody holding up a liquor store (I am assuming there are firearms or weapons being used) is like coparing apples and oranges. I can always make more money, reinvest, do something else. You threaten a person with death, i don't really care what it's over, unless it is personal security or the security of your loved ones and you are teetering on a dangerous edge because if you follow through on that threat, you don't come back from death, you can't just decide to do something else or reinvest if you're dead. Again though I still think corporate law breakers should get busted and busted hard, but I have no problem with sending a violent criminal up the river to live with bubba even though we don't to people embezzling more money.
My point is that people get sent to prison every day for committing crimes that are far less damaging to society than what many white collar criminals do. Look at the S&L debacle from the 80's. That ended up costing the government BILLIONS. But many of the suits convicted ended up in minimum security prisons. Meanwhile, some guy who's been stealing cars and gets busted for the 3rd time gets sodomized at San Quentin. I feel no pity for Martha if she ends up in the worst cell in Rikers. She had every advantage imaginable and she still let greed take her to this.

As for Haliburton, they've already had people busted for getting millions in kickbacks. Now there's reports that they're stashing cash in the Caymans and other offshore accounts. That doesn't sound very legal to me. It sure as hell isn't ethical.

Charley
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:20:17 PM
Are the accounts illegal?

Telan Desaria
Mar 9th, 2004, 07:51:45 AM
no. Offshore accounts in neutral countries is very legal. According to International Law, which supercedes American law. All laws, actually. If any country makes a law which restricts the voluntary and private flow of funds, that country can face serious charges in the Hague.

NOTICE- - - - - MY ABOVE POST WAS NOT AN OPINON OR AN OTHERWISE OOC RANT, RAVE, OR CONTRIBUTED PIECE. IT WAS INSTEAD, AS FURTHER ACTIVITIES SHALL BE CONFINED TO, A NOTICE AND CONTRIBUTION BASED SOLELY ON KNOWLEDGE PREVIOUSLY ATTAINED. NO OPINION OR TAINT IS EVIDENT. IF ONE IS PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I SHALL EDIT AS NECCESSARY.

Charley
Mar 9th, 2004, 10:33:36 AM
I know that :) I'm being a smart-aleck

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:29:03 AM
The only way it is illegal in the US is they are doing it to keep money from uncle sam now that is tax fraud, I think some of that is what Halliburton is being accused of the problem is proving it.

Telan Desaria
Mar 9th, 2004, 01:18:25 PM
sorry - - just covering my bases. I genuinely am sick of offending people.

James Prent
Mar 9th, 2004, 01:22:26 PM
Telan, that second post, however, was totally unecessary.

Chill :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 9th, 2004, 04:57:01 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
no. Offshore accounts in neutral countries is very legal. According to International Law, which supercedes American law. All laws, actually. If any country makes a law which restricts the voluntary and private flow of funds, that country can face serious charges in the Hague.

And just what power does the Hague have to back that up? And since when did many countries actually care about International law, except when it suited them?

JediBoricua
Mar 9th, 2004, 10:11:46 PM
The problem with Halliburton is the absurd free reign they have managing US tax dollars.

They are loosely audited by the government, have sole control of many vital operations of the troops in Iraq, and got their billion dollar contracts without the celebration of public auctions.

Add the overcharging of food and other products to the troops stationed above. Charging 8 bucks for a hamburgers is not the best way to keep morale up.