PDA

View Full Version : Help a poor idiot out? (computer stuff)

Zeke
Mar 5th, 2004, 03:27:44 PM
A while back I password-protected my computer because I didn't trust my roommates not to get on it and do crazy stuff with it. Ever since I got my third roommate, I've not had any reason to shut it down or protect it, since I trust the guy (he's my best friend). Last night I shut it down for the first time in ages, and started it up today...and cannot remember the password I put on it! >_< I've tried every word my hint brings to mind, but nothing's working. Is there any way I can get into my computer to fix this stupid password?

Figrin D'an
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:05:53 PM
Is this the standard Windows login/password protection?

And...

Do you recall the password being relatively simple?

Zeke
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:11:05 PM
Yes. I just type the password and it lets me into my desktop. The password is simple enough. It's not extraordinarily long or complex.

Figrin D'an
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:16:52 PM
Okay.

There are ways to do this. You'll need access to another computer, and you'll have to download a couple of things. But, if the password is relatively simple, it should be recoverable fairly quickly.

Edit: How fast is your net connection?

Zeke
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:18:50 PM
I've got all the computers I could ever want in the computer labs, and I've got friends with computers all over the place that I could download stuff from.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:31:18 PM
What OS? There's a fast way to reset a user password, using a std XP install base install stupidity. Administrator does not have a password and can be accessed via Safe mofe.

Press F8 at boot to bring up boot options

Use Safe Mode

Go to Administrator user when the PC comes up

Reset user password in "User Accounts'", which is in Conttrol panel.

Zeke
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:32:47 PM
The OS is Windows XP.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:33:56 PM
Try what I posted above. This is how most NT systems are installed, with an ineffective local PC Admin password. First hole you look for on any NT based PC

Zeke
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:38:02 PM
Okay, I'll try it.

::happy yell:: It works! :D Thanks Marcus and Figrin!