PDA

View Full Version : Question

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:11:04 PM
Though the people who've asked me know that I have no idea how to go about doing this, they still want me to set up an IRC network. My question is this -

Just what is involved with setting up an IRC network? Where do I find information on what steps to take in doing that?

I've run a search on google, but I haven't found anything that really tells me just how to go about getting everything set up and what to do.

Any help, tips, etc etc is very appreciated.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:33:37 PM
networking for dummies? I know there's a book, 'cause my fiance's brother has it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it myself.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 5th, 2004, 01:11:35 PM
IRC networks are very bandwith consuming, and huge security risks. They're often a target for flooders and other script kiddie scum.

Just find an existing network, such as starchat, and register a room or two there.

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Mar 10th, 2004, 08:13:56 AM
Thanks, Lilaena :) I saw that in the bookstore the other day :lol I use to hang on Starchat but the owner of that network is crazy - literally and she pulled a bunch of BS on the owners of the largest room that her network had which was very uncool, hence why these guys I know want their own network - own network, own rules is their philosophy. Plus, I think they are talking with someone to pay a licensing fee to use the name of something for it.