PDA

View Full Version : 117 million for TPOTC!!!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 29th, 2004, 03:21:55 PM
OKay, that other thread is hijacked beyond belief, and this really needs to be highlighted. 32 million for Saturady!

Like... WTF? No moive in february has gone close to this typ of opening. Hey, stuff February, this is going like a Memorial day release. That's an insane amount of money for any movie, let alone a mvoie like this one. Every day I've looked up the gross of TPOTC, it's always been jaw dropping. It's have to pass 200 million now. 300 million?

Anyone game enough to pick an endpoint?

ReaperFett
Feb 29th, 2004, 04:07:10 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Like... WTF? No moive in february has gone close to this typ of opening.
I'm pretty sure Daredevil was there or there abouts last year, and that only just got over 100.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 29th, 2004, 04:15:35 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I'm pretty sure Daredevil was there or there abouts last year, and that only just got over 100.

Ummm... no. Daredevil was not even close.

ReaperFett
Feb 29th, 2004, 04:28:12 PM
Okay, let me reword it.

"I'm pretty sure Daredevil was there or there abouts THE HIGHEST OPENER OF FEBRUARY, and that only just got over 100 TOTAL."

Sorry bout that :)

Dutchy
Feb 29th, 2004, 04:47:19 PM
Yes, amazing numbers indeed. Exciting for us boxoffice fans for sure. :)

CMJ
Feb 29th, 2004, 04:55:19 PM
Considering all the Christians in the world....I hesitate to predict a final total. This may be the film to dethrone 'Titanic'.

And I haven't EVER said that about a film. Not TPM...not anything.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:07:47 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Considering all the Chrstians in the world....I hesitate to predict a final total. This may be the film to dethrone 'Titanic'.

Logic says your wrong, nothing in the next 10 years will dethrone Titanic.

However, after seeing the mind boggling start Passion got, so much higher than anyone expected and with sell outs everywhere, no-one has a handle how it'll go. I see at BOM, many predict no repeat business, but others think it will. Then again, it is drawing people in who dont go to theatres.

My guess (and that's as good as it can get) is that repeat business will be strong, along with drawing in of people who dont go to movies. WOM appears strong. I think a good 30% drop next week would see Passion heading to 400 million. Easter will be the big boost. And no competition. You could be right and that's a big call.

The only definate is with Mel Gibson collecting a rumoured 50% of gross, he is going to be incredibly wealthy after it's over. What a punt to take on a project no one thought would work and what a return.

(which shows yet again, as New Line did with LOTR, studios / distributors willing to take risks can win big. Newmarket I think is getting 10% gross. MORE in one weekend than they got for the last few years)

Darth Viscera
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:10:24 PM
probably a lot of muslims and jews, too. muslims are rather keen on moses and jesus, they just think that mohammad is the latest and the greatest prophet of god.

ReaperFett
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:11:21 PM
It's hard to say as well because we don't know how reactions will be. The nature of the movie might put people off going. On the other hand, people might go to see it hearing it is controversial against their beliefs.

Next week is the release of Starsky and Hutch, that might damage it. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty empty period until Jersey Girl, Ned Kelly and Scooby Doo 2 come out at the end of March (Barring some maybes like girl next door). So really, we're talking a month until more competition arrives.

Dethrone Titanic? Doubtful due to the time of the year IMO. But I can see it being #1 movie of the year easily, maybe even beating ROTK.

CMJ
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:53:10 PM
I'm not saying it WILL...but the fact that it opened *this* big, has an unlimited built in audience, is gonna being playing around Easter, etc. leaves me to think it might have a chance.

Here's the deal. When 'Titanic' came out - folks didn't know if it would flop or not. It was a huge financial gamble by the studio. James Cameron defered his salary for that movie...Gibson put up his own dough. It just seems like some parallels going on. True Box Office phenomenons are usually ones you can't see coming. There's another check for TPOTC.

Saying all this I don't think it will get *that* high. But I see alot of factors that seem to work in its favor.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:54:48 PM
I really dont see S&H hurting TPOTC at all. Totally different movies and demographics. That is, presuming TPOTC is playing to the demographic we think it is - with such a huge B.O. haul, who knows.

what makes me wonder is the huge jump from Friday to Saturday. You just dont see a 23 -> 32.8 million figures. Estimates say 20 million Sunday, but..... that has to be underestimated.

in the end, isnt it amazing we have a movie once again that we can discuss and take apart B.O. performance and still be no clsoer to working out what's really going to happen? The first all bets are off movie since Titanic

CMJ
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:57:01 PM
The first all bets are off movie since Titanic

That was my real point I guess.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 29th, 2004, 06:06:03 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
That was my real point I guess.

Oh, and I agree with you. This is what's making B.O. watching fun for this one.

True Box Office phenomenons are usually ones you can't see coming

Just like no one saw this weekend coming. You would have been insane to predict such numbers for a movie liek this. Look at it, is it typical big number fare? Is there anything other than the story that is attractive to the average moive goer?

I dont still get why it took off like it did - the forenics at places like BOM are fun to read as people come to understand how TPOTC took off and where it's going to finish.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 29th, 2004, 07:12:49 PM
...and I haven't even seen it yet. :)

Charley
Feb 29th, 2004, 08:01:29 PM
I won't be able to see it for another week. The University owns my soul for another 7 days at the very least.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 29th, 2004, 11:12:16 PM
I say 250 but I think it will have bad legs, I guess we will have to see.

Figrin D'an
Feb 29th, 2004, 11:38:01 PM
I want to see it's second and third weekend returns before making any kind of call on what it's final take will be.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2004, 12:36:24 AM
That is true Fig we will have to see how many people just rushed out to see. I personally doubt there will be a big amount of people seeing again I can't see people wanting to see it again although who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Sanis Prent
Mar 1st, 2004, 12:53:12 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
That is true Fig we will have to see how many people just rushed out to see. I personally doubt there will be a big amount of people seeing again I can't see people wanting to see it again although who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

And you could predict Titanic's replay value why?

Passion's value is much more up front. Its Jesus. Thats like Superman of the metaphysical world or something.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:08:05 AM
I say 250 but I think it will have bad legs, I guess we will have to see.

I believe your goign to be proven wrong.... no proof of this, because there is no proof one way or the other yet, because no one expected this first weekend and hence, no one is sure who is seeing this and why, but the audience for this movie is clearly huge, much bigger than anyone suspected. Your suggesting M:Reloaded type falls. No. that will not happen. TPOTC is already huge and it's about the only thing that could out hype the 11 Oscars ROTK won.

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:24:08 AM
My guess (and that's as good as it can get) is that repeat business will be strong

That's one thing needed to dethrone Titanic.

drawing in of people who dont go to movies.

That's two.

a project no one thought would work

And that's three.

This is getting really interesting.

Its Fri-Sat boost is very impressive.

Oh: THE PASSION VS. LORD OF THE RINGS VS. STAR WARS TPM
(http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/vs-passion.htm)

BTW, remember one thing: Titanic was a boxoffice phenomenon. Let's see if we have a new one. :)

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:37:55 AM
BTW: A huge opening, like TPOTC's, is NOT typically needed to dethrone Titanic.

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:38:43 AM
BOG: "The film industry was truly shocked that a subtitled movie with no stars could attract such a gigantic audience on its opening weekend."

Indeed.

AmazonBabe
Mar 1st, 2004, 12:04:07 PM
Considering all the Christians in the world....I hesitate to predict a final total. This may be the film to dethrone 'Titanic'.

I think it would be awesome if it dethroned "Titanic". I mean, what better movie to dethrone it than this?

...and I haven't even seen it yet. :)

Saw it this past Saturday. Very emotional and inspiring. Makes me feel unworthy, really.

Well, I do know that my husband and his brother want to see it again, and I'm teetering between not seeing it again and seeing it again, so there's a 2 1/2 count for ya.

Figrin D'an
Mar 1st, 2004, 12:28:25 PM
On a related note:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/01/offbeat.passion.ap/index.html

:rolleyes

Yeah... just use the ticket and watch the movie, plz.

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:38:16 PM
Holy Jesus!

$83,848,082 final 3-day weekend total.

$7M more than estimated!

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:40:33 PM
$125,185,971 5-day total, beating ROTK's #3 all time record.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:40:44 PM
Please to not be circumventing the swear filter again.

And wowzers, thats a nice total.

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:41:51 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
Please to not be circumventing the swear filter again.

I changed it appropriately. ;)

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:45:20 PM
Its Sunday gross was actually HIGHER than its Wednesday's opening gross.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:53:49 PM
I wonder if there's a reason? ;)

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:18:25 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
I wonder if there's a reason? ;)

Good point. :)

Still, on every day of the weekend it outgrossed ROTK.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:21:55 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
On a related note:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/01/offbeat.passion.ap/index.html

Yeah... just use the ticket and watch the movie, plz.

lmao, that's funny

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:27:27 PM
Well I don't it will do well in Europe mainly France, Germany, Italy, those people are Catholic in name only the churches are empty shells and they hate religion. I still think it will fall hard next weekend but I guess we will see.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:32:26 PM
Well I don't it will do well in Europe mainly France, Germany, Italy, those people are Catholic in name only the churches are empty shells and they hate religion. I still think it will fall hard next weekend but I guess we will see.

:lol

Do you wake up every day and decide to generalize this much?

"Well okily-dokily, I'm gonna go down to chinatown for some flied lice, then down to the barrio, where I'll have Juan, the humble but hard-working latino wash my car for fifty cents, and then I'm off to the cinema, where I can break a baguette and smoke cloves with Claude, and talk about how Nietzche was right, and there is no God after all."

EDIT:

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Dutchy
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:43:07 PM
Well I don't it will do well in Europe mainly France, Germany, Italy, those people are Catholic in name only the churches are empty shells and they hate religion.

I for one am very anxious to see it.

I'll be interesting to know what's drawing crowds: the religious theme or the overal movie event.

For me it's the latter. This is a must-see movie. A Titanic-like event.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2004, 05:29:20 PM
Well I know the French, I have studied they aren't very religious, the Italians either any more, I just know there is a lot of anti-religious feelings in Central Europe (mainly France and Western Germany). I know France for a fact the Pope came to Paris and had to leave because the citizens were booing him and spitting on the ground as he left.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:00:17 PM

WHAT??????

JMC, please. That's just plain wrong.

Originally posted by Dutchy
Holy Jesus!

$83,848,082 final 3-day weekend total.

$7M more than estimated!

That's... ummm...... mindblowing. Those are unbelieveable! 27 million Sunday???????? That signals a vey, very health second week.

And watch the boost for this thing at Easter. Right now, this is a 300 million minimum moive.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2004, 08:51:04 PM
I don't think its wrong its the truth the French are the worst Catholics they would even admit it most of them hate the church.

JediBoricua
Mar 1st, 2004, 09:29:21 PM
JMC, religion is down in those countries, but...

There are over 1 billion christians in the World. If only 30% of those are devout christians, that gives you a pretty solid market of 300 million people! And this is not a movie in english translated or dubbed in italian, french, german...it's a film in arameic! There is no language barrier here, no cultural barrier, is (and I'm guessing because it hasn't opened here) as universal as a movie can be.

Add the jews, muslims, film buffs, history buffs who will not miss this and the average joe who will have no other movie to see until late April.

We could be on the verge of something big.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:49:50 PM
I don't know the third of Christians live in South America/Africa the third world. Most of them can't go to the Movie theaters heck there aren't many movie theaters in those countries. Basically we are looking at parts of Europe (Ireland, Spain and probably England), the US, and the more industrial parts of South America and Central America. I just don't see Titantic I see 350 domestically 700 WW at the most.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:29:03 AM
I don't think its wrong its the truth the French are the worst Catholics they would even admit it most of them hate the church.

:mad :mad :mad

What's that got to do with Box office of TPOTC, and how can that be supported?!? JMC, look, I do appreciate your contributions, but I really dont want this thread to go down the religion discussion of other.

Figrin D'an
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:40:48 AM
He's got a point. Let's try to keep this thread as focused on the original topic as possible. We already hijacked one thread pretty badly (for which, I accept much of the responsibility).

On topic:

I kind of wonder about repeat viewership. There will be a fair amount among more devout Christians, I'm sure. For many though, I can see a one-and-done theatre experience.

*shrugs*

Second weekend numbers will be interesting.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:17:05 AM
I don't think I am saying anything bad, heck the French proudly say they aren't religious. It has to do with the French Revolution the French tore down the Catholic church and since then the French haven't been very religious. They are actually proud of this fact, I have talked to a few.

Charley
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:52:36 AM
Are you familiar with the law of large numbers, Carr?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:04:12 AM
I am just going to drop it there is no point into getting into a debate over how religious the French are.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:25:22 AM
I think Carr is right though, its a better market for these kind of movies in the US than in Europe. Outside the forums, I dont know of anyone who is interested in seeing this. The awareness level here is very low. Movies with a religious message tend to tank in Scandinavia in general (not saying this one will). But at the very least, it should be fairly safe to assume the box office numbers will not be anywhere near the numbers of ROTK in Norway.

As for the domestic gross Id say it might end up around 350M, not more than that. The problem with predicting these movies though, they tend to pull lots of people who usually dont go to the movies at all. It has some resemblance to Titanic that way.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:26:20 AM
I kind of wonder about repeat viewership. There will be a fair amount among more devout Christians, I'm sure. For many though, I can see a one-and-done theatre experience.

But if everyone in the world sees it ooonce...... :uhoh

Brian
Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:35:56 AM
Heh, some people don't even live near a movie theater, so that's not possible. :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:40:28 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
But if everyone in the world sees it ooonce...... :uhoh

Just like if everyone in the world gave me a nickel, I'd be a very rich man. I see both these things being about equally as likely. :mneh

Dutchy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:52:28 AM
$10,350,000 estimated for Monday.

That's a tad bit low, compared to the current run.

Dutchy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:28:31 PM
$10,131,876 final.

Senator Thareena
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:45:02 PM

Just like if everyone in the world gave me a nickel, I'd be a very rich man. I see both these things being about equally as likely. :mneh

:mneh yourself meanie pants. :p

Figrin D'an
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:58:31 PM
Originally posted by Senator Thareena
:mneh yourself meanie pants. :p

hehe... that's Mr. Meanie Pants to you.

:D

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:20:02 PM
$10,131,876 final.

It's a weekday, in a non holiday period, with it's audience at work, in the month where movies tend not to do well. It's also in 3000 screens less than say a Harry Potter or a LOTR.

Dutchy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:33:58 PM
It's a weekday, in a non holiday period, with it's audience at work, in the month where movies tend not to do well. It's also in 3000 screens less than say a Harry Potter or a LOTR.

True, true. That's exactly what I wanted to add too.

$10M+ on a Monday is very good, no matter what time of the year.

Charley
Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:31:50 AM
I finally got to see this.

What a fantastic movie.

Dutchy
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:26:35 AM
Est. $9,354,000 for Tuesday.

Dutchy
Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:07:53 PM
$9,283,076 final for Tuesday.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2004, 01:19:30 PM
$8.4 million Wednesday. The largest ever non holiday Wednesday too. This is insane - how is this movie doing so well???

Dutchy
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:36:41 PM
A 35% decline would give The Passion of the Christ about $54M this weekend and a stunning $215M after 12 full days of release allowing the R-rated film to enter the Top 50 list of all-time domestic blockbusters.

BOG predicts a small decline for the weekend.

Dutchy
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:24:12 PM
BOG predicts a small decline for the weekend.

Which it was, though not 35%:

$51,392,000 -38.7%

Estimated.

Dutchy
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:30:01 PM
Following this track it would end up with $350M.

Darth007
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:07:41 PM
maybe, but it could rise again when it gets closer to Easter

Jinn Fizz
Mar 7th, 2004, 08:49:19 PM
I saw the movie today, and it is nothing short of a masterpiece. Brutal at points, to be sure, and an emotionally draining experience, but one of the best movies I have ever seen.

This is one of the few movies I've ever been to where a good portion of the audience stayed in their seats through the closing credits. When the lights went up, some people got up very slowly, and others still couldn't quite get out of their seats. People were obviously very touched by this movie on a deep, fundamental level.

According to the president of Newmarket Films, it's positive word-of-mouth and (surprise) repeat business keeping it performing at such high levels. I believe it will keep bringing people in through Easter.

Darth Vader
Mar 7th, 2004, 08:51:19 PM
I wouldn't really call it a masterpiece. Its well done, and definitely above the cut as far as good movies, but there are much better films about the subject matter IMO.

Jesus of Nazareth > The Passion, by a considerable ways.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:05:56 PM
Yeah, but onlly one of them is an Oscar cert for best foreign language film ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:26:16 PM
Jesus of Nazerth is to me the best movie about Christ that movie had an ubelievable cast and was a great movie, heck Ben Hur is another great movie about the subject, maybe the best.

Jedieb
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:50:44 AM
How could this movie possibly have outgrossed Daredevil?! ;)

I think Mel's going to come out with a nice piece of change after this. Less than $30M of his own money, wow. $300M is a sure bet, now we just have to wait and see if it makes a run at $400M and beyond. Man, can you imagine the Easter boost it'll get?

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:03:10 PM
Actuals - 53.2 million, third largest second weekend ever.

Dutchy
Mar 13th, 2004, 01:02:23 PM
Anyone still daring to say the T-word? :)

CMJ
Mar 13th, 2004, 01:49:32 PM

I never said it would Dutchy...just that the possibility seemed to exist. Truthfully I doubt a film will beat 'Titanic' till 2011 or so.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:16:17 PM
Neither did I mostly because it is R rated, Right now it looks like it will make between 300-350 which is still great. It will probably be second highest grossing film in the US behind Spiderman, and Third WW behind Harry Potter and Spiderman.

Dutchy
Mar 14th, 2004, 04:40:03 AM
Neither did I mostly because it is R rated, Right now it looks like it will make between 300-350 which is still great. It will probably be second highest grossing film in the US behind Spiderman, and Third WW behind Harry Potter and Spiderman.

If it's behind Spiderman in the US it will be 6th highest. Worldwide Spiderman is at #10, so placing it behind Spiderman would place it outside the top 10.

Or am I totally reading your post wrong? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2004, 12:12:46 PM
Oh I mean this year. I think Spiderman 2 will do between 350-400. As for the chart I don't think it will top ROTK, I am not certain if it will pass TTT or Nemo either it will be close on those last two.

Jedieb
Mar 14th, 2004, 10:08:07 PM
I think S2 will barely clear $300M. I think it's going to drop off. It'll be a success, but I don't think it'll duplicate Spidey's first B.O. run and I don't think it'll top Passion. I think TPOTC will make a strong run at $400M. It's going to get a strong boost come Easter, similiar to what Titanic got from Valentine's Day.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2004, 10:27:48 PM
I think Spiderman 2 will do way over 300 just hearing people talk about it I think it will be big. I think Harry Potter will be #1 WW it will probably make 900 WW, those HP films just have a life overseas that is amazing.

JediBoricua
Mar 14th, 2004, 11:16:09 PM
TPOTC got a NC-17 rating in Mexico.

Not sure how that will play out, or how big the market is in Mexico, but I do know they have a massive catholic population.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2004, 01:05:02 AM
It would do better in Mexico than parts of Europe. However the difference in the Dollar the Peso is so huge that I doubt it will be make a big difference. I bet it sets a record there maybe 10 million or whatever it is.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2004, 02:27:06 AM
Saw the movie tonight... Words cannot express what it made me feel. Cinematically it was very good. Very, very good.

ReaperFett
Mar 21st, 2004, 02:38:05 PM
Sounds like it's being beaten by Dawn of the Dead, $27m to $19m. Not that it really matters, it's now the biggest R movie ever, 18th overall. It can afford to be front-loaded :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 21st, 2004, 11:49:53 PM
I still think it won't make 400 I am kind of hoping it doesn't pass TTT but that is just hope than anything else.

CMJ
Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:58:40 AM
It's actually had pretty decent legs. I wonder what kind of boost it might recieve for Easter.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:03:11 PM
Well it has dropped 40% now twice, I wouldn't say it has had great legs. I say it had legs like Spiderman which had I guess decent legs and if that is the case it won't make 400 because Spiderman made like 40 more million in its first 5 days.

CMJ
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:07:14 PM
For a movie with that big of an opening weekend I'd say good legs.

First weekend :117M

Likely Final : 350M+

So basically 3 times it's opening. That's quite impressive considering....

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:19:14 PM
One thing I am curious what has its WW numbers been? Does anybody know. I was hearing it wasn't doing good overseas at first and they also were opening it very slow overthere especiallly in Europe which I think will hurt it. Also according to Yoghurt the interest don't seem to be there in Europe and I doubt it will do very well in the second largest market in the world Japan (Japan is just about completely non-christian)

Dutchy
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:40:03 PM
13.6% drop for Friday. Maybe it's building up momentum for Easter or it's growing late legs.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:24:11 PM
Still finished 6th. It will do less than 10 million most likely. I don't see it doing 400 million now, 350-360 at the most. And overseas it hasn't done great. It has only pulled in 58 million through last weekend, that is poor compared to the US. I think it will do less than 600 million WW because it will probably only do 250 max overseas the way it looks.

Jedieb
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:23:09 AM
It's weekday numbers were pretty strong last week. I noticed that it stayed a solid 2 behind Crappy Doo and even jumped back to #1 on Thursday I believe. I think it's going to get a big jump over Easter. Big enough to push it over $400M.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:10:02 AM
I don't know, the reason I say that is four movies open next weekend, they have to cut into its screen count. I say its under 10 and not in the top 5 regardless I don't see it making 400 360 max, also its overseas numbers are bad, it maybe #1 in the U.S but it might not even be in the top 5 WW. I think that will belong to Harry Potter, Spiderman, Troy, Shrek 2, and one other film.

Dutchy
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:07:50 PM
$9.9M estimated for the weekend. That's just a 21.6% drop.

Dutchy
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:15:11 PM
It's definitely building up steam for Easter. Final weekend number is $10.6M, only a 15.8% drop. Its Sunday number was $4.0M, only off 6.7% from last Sunday.

Jedieb
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:24:41 PM
I can't believe its theater count is still around 3,400. I think many theaters have been keeping it around for Easter. I expect it to start losing screens the following week, but it should pick up enough steam to crawl towards $400M I think.

Madmartigan
Apr 6th, 2004, 01:29:33 PM
at first I thought this thread was about Pirates of the Caribbean as they have nearly the same anogram

POTC
TPOTC

I haven't seen Passion yet, but did anyone else hear about that teacher who got fired for assigning the movie as extra credit. I saw it on CNN a few days ago.

Figrin D'an
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:38:58 PM
Originally posted by Madmartigan
I haven't seen Passion yet, but did anyone else hear about that teacher who got fired for assigning the movie as extra credit. I saw it on CNN a few days ago.

It's rather ridiculous to be fired over such a thing. When I was in high school, a couple of the teachers in the history department offered extra credit for going to see Schindler's List. I see little difference in this instance.

It will be interesting to see what sort of boost it gets this weekend. Finishing around $350-360 seems doable.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2004, 10:39:27 PM
That is my opinion Fig, what might be odd if it ends up #1 in the U.S but 5th WW. Its international numbers have been way lower than its domestic ones. I think it might do less than 600 WW.

Madmartigan
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:04:57 AM
Fox Trot has even got an opinion on it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:06:25 AM
lmao, I love Foxtrot.

Mu Satach
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:09:54 AM
:lol OMG, I think that's the best Foxtrot I've ever seen!

*falls off chair*

Dutchy
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:45:10 PM
$1,6M for Tuesday. UP 18.6% from last Tuesday.

Easter's gonna be (relatively) huge.

Dutchy
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:05:47 PM
$1.77M for Wednesday, up 39.2% from last Wednesday and #1 again on the chart. Also up compared to Wednesday 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone dare to guess its weekend gross?

$20M would mean it would be up 89% compared to last weekend. Impossible? I don't think so.

I'll say it's gonna gross north of $20M.

Dutchy
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:12:36 PM
Also, it grossed more than TPM on its comparative day.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/vs-passion.htm

Actually, it also grossed more than Spider-Man and ROTK on their comparative days.

There's no way it's gonna end up below $400M in the end now.

Dutchy
Apr 10th, 2004, 01:46:33 PM
$6.2M estimated for Good Friday.

Up 147.2% from last Friday.

Ruth Leofsiege
Apr 10th, 2004, 03:34:04 PM
I think TPOTC will hit the $400 million mark.

Originally posted by Madmartigan
Fox Trot has even got an opinion on it.

That was hilarious!
:lol :lol

JMK
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:30:10 PM
$6.2M estimated for Good Friday.

Up 147.2% from last Friday.

That is amazing.

Dutchy
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:42:11 PM
Originally posted by JMK
That is amazing.

Yup, it's prolly gonna gross north of $20M for the weekend, as I predicted.

Dutchy
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:46:29 AM
It will prolly become the #2 on this list:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=7&p=.htm

Jedieb
Apr 11th, 2004, 09:27:26 PM
I think the estimates are at around $17M. It really buried a slew of new entries this weekend. I think $400M is a sure thing now, but I don't see it going that far pass that. A remarkable B.O. run.

Figrin D'an
Apr 11th, 2004, 09:42:48 PM
The Easter boost was impressive. That should be enough to push it past $400 million at the close of it's run. Remarkable box office run indeed, considering that most of us here, including me, didn't even give it a shot at $100 million before it opened.

Madmartigan
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:35:57 PM
I thought it would do a 100 million but thought it had no chance at 200 million. I felt all the hype would give it a great start and then it would fizzle and dissapear quickly. I am just afraid what its success will do in the upcoming months, since Hollywood likes to piggyback any success. Can we expect a remake of the Ten Commandments or maybe a Noah movie?

Dutchy
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:47:40 PM
Final weekend numbers ($15.2M) feel $2M short of the estimate. Surprising. Right now it's doubtful it'll get to $400M. I'll say it won't.

Ruth Leofsiege
Apr 15th, 2004, 11:30:16 PM
I wouldn't give up on it just yet. TPOTC may still have some tricks up its sleeves. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 18th, 2004, 11:43:52 AM
It won't make it to 400 it had a 72% drop and fell to 4.2 million. It is pretty much finished now with Summer coming up the theaters will push it out. It will finish at 375 at the most. Still, what I find interesting is it will be #1 in the U.S. maybe (Spiderman 2 still as a shot) but won't be #1 WW. I think Harry Potter 3 will take that crown. TPOTC has done poorly overseas it hasn't even topped 100 over there yet and probably will do 200 at the most, so you are looking at somewhere around 550-600 WW which might not even put in the top 5 for WW. Still I have to say that is better than what I thought.

Figrin D'an
Apr 18th, 2004, 06:03:04 PM
The post-Easter drop was huge... kinda fell like a rock. I have to agree, $375 seems to be about the top end now. That's still about $300 million more than I would have predicted. I guess that's why I don't participate in the box office contests. :mneh

CMJ
Apr 18th, 2004, 06:59:31 PM
TPOTC has done poorly overseas it hasn't even topped 100 over there yet and probably will do 200 at the most, so you are looking at somewhere around 550-600 WW which might not even put in the top 5 for WW.

The last Variety showing international numbers had Passion already over 100M. I wouldn't call a film that had dubious prospects grossing more than 100M internationally bad BO either.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:09:21 PM
Well I meant comparred to the U.S it was bad. I was going by Mojo which had it 80 million two weeks ago. Still I do find interesting that it won't be #1 WW it shows to me the power of the overseas market.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2004, 02:45:53 PM
I am curious the actual came out and the Passion fell to 10th, has that ever happened before? A movie going from 1st to 10th. I am just curious that is a huge drop. Now I no the drop isn't new films have dropped 80% before.