PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up Problems

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 01:39:46 PM
Somehow my computer managed to rarely get popups in the past few years, but just until this week I get bombarded with them. I come home from school and have to reboot my computer just because there are so many. I'm running Firebird and have it set as my default browser, but these pop-ups come from IE. Ive also experimented with a few of the top rated pop up blockers at downloads.com. Any one know a cure?

edit: I have had Ad-Aware 6.0 and Spybot, and run them regularly, still doesnt fix the problem |I

Morgan Evanar
Feb 25th, 2004, 01:43:51 PM
www.ad-aware.com
http://security.kolla.de/

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 02:56:36 PM
http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_service_popups.htm

Done this yet?

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:17:09 PM
Did what it said, and Messenger is already stopped and disabled. The pop ups are all mainly "click here to stop pop ups NOW" in a big stop sign with bright colors. All the other stuff I've seemed to stop. :(

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:24:44 PM
You've got some kind of trojan on your system. Run a virus scan with updated definitions, and see what kind of results you get.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:12:22 PM
Pff, what nice help that was. I spent about an hour scanning my entire system(all 65,000 files) with a program I downloaded to check for infected files, viruses, and spyware. It tells me I have 63 infected files/possible spyware!

:D <---- me thinking I'm about to solve the problem

I click on a button to "cure" the files and it predictably brings me to the website to sign up for a $30 membership.

:mad <------ me now

spada
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:19:55 PM
I used spyblaster search and destroy and it has worked pretty good. As for popups I have google popup blocker and its great it also stops popups that arent virus related :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:31:24 PM
Darth007 - Please use AVG - you will find it is a trojan causing the issue

Hart
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:33:39 PM
Try using a program called PopThis. It won't remove any adware, but it keeps them all from actually popping up.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 25th, 2004, 06:02:48 PM
Originally posted by Hart
Try using a program called PopThis. It won't remove any adware, but it keeps them all from actually popping up.
It'd be best if he got it completely removed rather than just block it out.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 06:03:19 PM
thanks by the way for everyones input i didn't think anyone would care

update: installed AVG 6.0 cleaned out the trojans and stuff, got PopThis but I'm still getting popups(I read that it self installs into IE, but I'm not running IE so that could be why)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:44:42 PM
Ahhhh. Connect Teh web it smells like. Yes, there is a trojan that does that. I'd go a googling and see what you can find. Plus, get your firewall on.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:44:45 PM
That sucks. I don't know what good it will do but you could try RegCleaner and see how much good cleaning out your registry will do. Probably nothing, if you can afford losing your stuff just reinstall your OS.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:54:14 PM
when im on the computer its not bad because i get one maybe every 10 minutes and i can close it... but overnight or during school they just build up and its irritating, and i always keep the computer with AIM on in case people gotta get in touch with me or whatever. I dont think my computer has a firewall. I've never seen or touched anything to do with them but then again I know little about firewalls so maybe there is one and I dont know it.

Bah, so many computer problems in this one month alone. At least I have a job now and maybe I can just save up for a new, better one.

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:57:55 PM
There's a good trojan removal tool called The Cleaner. I think it will remove this particular annoyance as well. It's got a 30 day free trial.

http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:06:02 PM
The other thing to do is that these trojans usually have a prosess going. I'm a wee bit hesitant to say how to remove startup services in the registry in XP - but if you have 98, use msconfig and post what startup process are there.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:13:46 PM
nah XP

Got "The Cleaner" and I don't understand how it works... I have "TCMonitor" running in my tray, and I'm stilll getting pop-ups.

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:35:36 PM
You have to actually scan your system. The monitor isn't going to do any good if the trojan is already on your machine.

I'm kind of surprised Ad-Aware or Spybot didn't pick this up, because you said you have both.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:36:46 PM
oh... well I scanned for trojans with several programs and I'm pretty sure I got rid of them all. But the pop-ups still come so its not that. Oh well.

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:43:43 PM
Have you made sure to download the most recent reference files for Ad-Aware and Spybot?

And try actually scanning with The Cleaner... it may pick something up that anti-virus software will not.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:48:28 PM
Yes, to both

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:58:34 PM
What "pop-up blockers" have you tried? Because some of them actually generate pop-ups of their own.

To be honest, I'd start by uninstalled any pop-up blocking software you have on your system. If you use other tools, you don't need a seperate pop-up blocking program.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 09:04:27 PM
Only programs left are Ad-Aware 6.0 and AVG.

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 09:07:48 PM
Then you may have to clean out your registry.

And get a software firewall, at minimum. ZoneAlarm, Black Ice Defender... something that has a good program control system.

Ace McCloud
Feb 25th, 2004, 09:23:25 PM
Yea well I have a script problem. Every 2 hours I will get an IE Popup that covers the whole screen. Zone alarm wont let it have access but it still comes up. I don't think its a trojan as I caught two the other day and I've had this problem for about a month now.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:29:07 PM
same with me Ace

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:50:51 PM
Try searching Microsoft's Knowledge Base, and see if you can find a description that fits your problem. Because, beyond the universal fixes discussed here, there's isn't a lot we can do unless you can identify the exact cause of the pop-up screen.

Darth007
Feb 25th, 2004, 11:33:02 PM
Yeah, actually to be honest they've calmed down today. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help. :)

Ace McCloud
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:41:43 PM
The only I problem I have is that IE pop ups once every 2 hours. Like I said earlier, I use Zone alarm to stop it from connecting, but it doesnt stop it from coming up. But when I close zone alarm, one of those IE pop ups will give me 30+ popups in an hour. Damn ie!

Darth007
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:58:16 PM
yeah, thanks to whoever gave that early heads up on switchin to Mozilla in that thread a while back

Figrin D'an
Feb 27th, 2004, 04:13:40 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
The only I problem I have is that IE pop ups once every 2 hours. Like I said earlier, I use Zone alarm to stop it from connecting, but it doesnt stop it from coming up. But when I close zone alarm, one of those IE pop ups will give me 30+ popups in an hour. Damn ie!

There is something on your system that is causing IE to do that. It's not IE proper. Dump your cache, and especially any cookies, out of IE.

If you have the time, I'd like to see a screenshot or two of what exactly is happening.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 27th, 2004, 04:45:53 PM
I'd be more interested in startup services. Whatever is causing it is going to be active and viewable in there. msconfig will show them - Start / Run - MSCONFIG. Go to the startup tag and screen shot that pls. I havent tried MSCONFIG on a W2K PC, but I know it works on 98 / ME and XP.

Figrin D'an
Feb 27th, 2004, 05:00:42 PM
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

This is a pretty good list of potential processes (viewable in the task manager) and what exactly they are. Cross reference it with your own background tasks. You might find something suspicious.

Ace McCloud
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:27:10 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
I'd be more interested in startup services. Whatever is causing it is going to be active and viewable in there. msconfig will show them - Start / Run - MSCONFIG. Go to the startup tag and screen shot that pls. I havent tried MSCONFIG on a W2K PC, but I know it works on 98 / ME and XP.

Alright, I got 4 screen shots of my start up in msconfig and one screen shot of the pop up that accures. I know in the start up, there are some questionable things. I haven't looked in there in a good long time.

www.lonetco.com/fus/AceSigs/Popup.jpg
www.lonetco.com/fus/AceSigs/startup1.jpg
www.lonetco.com/fus/AceSigs/startup2.jpg
www.lonetco.com/fus/AceSigs/startup3.jpg
www.lonetco.com/fus/AceSigs/startup4.jpg

Notice how in the popup, everything on the screen is engulfed, including the startmenu and taskbar.

http://www.liutilities.com/products...processlibrary/

This is a pretty good list of potential processes (viewable in the task manager) and what exactly they are. Cross reference it with your own background tasks. You might find something suspicious.

Finding lots of things actually. Thanks a bunch.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:37:23 PM
P2P NETWORKING!!

I'm really surprised Adaware didnt smite that crap off the planet

Deselect

Deselect Autopop

Internefeatures. Deselect
IEFeatures????? Deselect

Ace McCloud
Feb 27th, 2004, 07:05:36 PM
Right, I wasn't sure what P2P Networking is, I always block it with zone alarm though. Thanks alot Marcus, Fig. Hopefully this should solve my problem.

Figrin D'an
Feb 27th, 2004, 09:36:39 PM
There's a whole lot of crap you can remove from that startup list. 95% of things that get put in there just suck up system resources and aren't that useful (or, as you have seen, can be annoying or malicious).

Darth007
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:20:22 AM
hmm, my startup has gotten considerably longer/slower lately, and i'm sure there's some spyware in here....

(btw you'll notice I didnt scroll all the way down, its because everything underneath is old programs I used to have but are now unchecked)

Darth007
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:21:08 AM
eh.. guess you can only have one attachment per post.

Darth007
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:21:30 AM
last one

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:30:44 AM
Belt.exe is spyware.

And most of the "C:\Program Files\" stuff doesn't need to load at startup. It just sucks system resources.

Leave what you feel is critical (firewall, peripherals like mouse, antivirus), and uncheck the rest.

For purposes of comparision, I only have 8 checked items under the Startup tab. Unless you need it to run on boot, like a few of the things I mentioned, you don't need it checked.

Darth007
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:12:36 AM
Alright thank you. I've never seen that startup list ever until you guys told me how to get to it, and I've always been trying to figure out a way to minimize the amount of things being loaded up at startup because it literally takes 5 minutes for my computer to settle down before I can start doing anything.

Only problem now is that I dont know what half of those processes are, and which are vital?

Ace McCloud
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:24:29 AM
Hey thanks a ton guys, that fixed my problem. If theres anything I can do for ya, just ask ;)

Darth007
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:44:13 AM
ditto what he said

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 29th, 2004, 03:54:43 AM
i just ran the cleaner and spybot myself

6 trojans and 338 spyware registries, files, etc etc :x

and fig, that stupid file is back -_-

Figrin D'an
Feb 29th, 2004, 10:20:45 AM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
and fig, that stupid file is back -_-

'k. There is another potential solution, but it will require some detective work. We'll chat later or something.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 29th, 2004, 10:40:49 PM
http://panic.hopto.org/misc/startup.png
That is what a startup option should look like, maybe without Trillian or Style XP. I like them, though.