PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to the Big Easy again

Charley
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:07:01 PM
Its that time of year once more. I'm headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. See you guys in a couple of days :cool

Brian
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:09:06 PM
Hey, have fun Chuckles.

I'd love to catch a Mardi Gras one of these days. I would go this year, but for lack of funding.

Hence the reason for Operation: Brian Wins! (inside joke)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:31:40 PM
When is Mardi Gras, the 24?

Darth Viscera
Feb 20th, 2004, 08:20:51 PM
Have fun!

(and by "fun" I mean stay the heck away from my lunatic heroine-addicted cousins, and lousiana females in general, they're nuts AND POISONOUS)

edit~ eat roast beef po-boys and shrimp po-boys and red beans & rice and rice pudding and whatnot

Leon Dagrelle
Feb 20th, 2004, 08:54:23 PM
I got dibs on his guns and knives if he dont come back.

Have fun Charley Charles.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 21st, 2004, 04:23:51 AM
:wave Have fun. Get flashed.

Darth Viscera
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:13:55 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
:wave Have fun. Get flashed.

See, I'm leery of getting flashed there. I was walking down Bourbon Street one day, looking right to left at the sexy women and flashy establishments, and all of a sudden I looked right and saw my cousin Brandy poledancing! OMG WTF NONONONO

^^true story, not a fabrication. ever since that happened I prefer hanging out with my relatives on my mom's side, there's less social embarassment with persians than with cajuns.

Crystal
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:33:05 PM
Have fun. Don't get flashed.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2004, 04:16:00 PM
Have fun. Flash Vis.

Charley
Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:27:04 PM
I'm back.

Mardi Gras isn't really a single day. Its around 2 weeks prior to Ash Wednesday, and just keeps getting bigger the closer you get to Fat Tuesday. I went down on Friday and left this morning.

I didn't go into the French Quarter this year. I stuck strictly to Metairie and St. Charles, and attended the parades. One on friday I can't remember the name of, then Endymion on Saturday, then the Middle City Parade, then Bacchus on Sunday. Very fun stuff. Lee Ann Rimes was the Grand Marshall at Endymion, and I think Will Clark and a few others were there too. For Bacchus, it was Elijah Wood. He tossed me this little plastic token with his face on it, so I'll give that to my sister.

I mainly did the "non-tourist" Mardi Gras this year, hanging out with a few of the natives. We cooked up crawfish fetuccini, ate a lot of king cake, then went to my friend's aunt's timeshare on St. Charles for some chicken jambalaya, then across the street for some crawfish bread. Friday night I drank beer and ate raw oysters, and the other days, I drank from a jug of Jim Beam, and finished most of it.

The floats were great. Endymion had a movie theme this year. The movies that I can remember that had floats were Star Wars, ET, Titanic, Kill Bill, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Nightmare Before Christmas, Love Potion Number 9, and I can't remember the rest.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:37:29 PM
Sounds like a blast, glad you got home safely. :)

Charley
Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:38:25 PM
I'm exhausted. I left at 8 AM, got home at 12:45, and I've got class in 15 minutes.

Darth Viscera
Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:31:34 PM
what? Elijah Wood? Elijah Wood was there?

Charley
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:48:51 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera

Well I didn't exactly stutter.

Zasz Grimm
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:02:57 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera

apparently visc is. :: patpat ::

Darth Viscera
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:44:41 PM
Poor Elijah Wood, going to the craziest of all states. I hope he wasn't accosted by any Louisiana nutcases.

Metairie is nice, it's not so much the white trashmobile that new orleans proper and the surrounding areas are.

Charley
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:37:40 PM
Thats because the property value is like a half mil for the LOT only, much less the house itself.

When you're cruising near St. Charles, around Napoleon, Milan, and other such streets, you can literally see the dividing line between affluent neighborhoods and "the ghetto". One one side of the street, well kept, nice houses. On the other, broken windows, peeling paint, etc.

Bizarre stuff.