PDA

View Full Version : My latest computer repair story...

Figrin D'an
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:15:06 AM
... (or why Best Buy computer support sucks donkey bottom).

This kind of thing really angers me. Read on, and you'll understand why.

A little more than a week ago, a friend of the family talked to me briefly, mentioning that he was having trouble with his computer. He said that he had just gotten DSL, and while that was working well, his computer seemed to running a lot slower than normal. I told him that I would be willing to take a look at it.

I didn't hear from again until two days ago, at which point he called and told me that his machine was now crashing on boot, and giving him a blue screen error shortly after his desktop would load. I told him to boot the machine again, and give to tell me the exact error code Windows was spitting out at him. He did, I wrote it down, and told him I could stop by some evening during the week to see if I could fix it for him. He said that would be fine, and to call him the next evening. After getting off the phone with him, I looked at the error code, and quickly realized it was a registry error, but that it was correctable by running scanregw (he's running Windows ME).

I called him the following evening to see if he would be around. He informed me at that point that he decided to take his machine into Best Buy (where he bought it) and have them look at, since they told him they would diagnose his problem for free. He proceeded to tell me that the Best Buy tech told him, after booting the system once and hardly glancing at the blue screen, that his hard drive was toast. Upon hearing this, he questioned how the tech knew that. The tech told him "Well, that's what I suspect it is, but we'll need to run some tests to find out for sure. It'll cost $30 for the tests, and we can do it about an hour." At this point, my friend was rather annoyed, as they initially told him that the diagnosis would be free. But, he agreed, then decided to look around at other computer hardware while he waited. An hour and half passed, and they hadn't touched his box yet. They hadn't even moved it... it still sat off to the side of the tech support counter. So, he decided to leave, knowing they would call him later when it was done. 10 minutes later, on his way home, his wife called him on his cell phone to tell him that Best Buy called, saying that his computer was done. Frustrated as this point, he turned around and drove back to the store. It appeared to him that his box still hadn't been moved from it's original location. At this point, he had a conversation with the "tech" that went something like this: (note: his hard drive is only a 20GB drive)

Friend: "You called and said my computer was done."
Tech: "Yup, your hard drive is fried, like I though."
Friend: "How can you tell?"
Tech; "Well, we ran some tests that told us your hard drive wasn't spinning. And, when we opened up the case, we couldn't hear the motor in the drive running. So, it's pretty much junk."
Friend: "So I need a new hard drive? And how much will that cost me?"
Tech: "Well, we can put a drive just like it in your machine for $90. Then, to transfer your information over to the new drive, will be another $50."
Friend: "That seems expensive. I saw you have a 120GB drive on sale for a lot less money than that. Why can't I just buy that one and put it in?"
Tech: "Oh, your machine can't handle that drive. It's too big."
Friend: 'Uh... okay."
Tech: "You could use some more RAM too. That would be another $70. You know, we have some new machines on sale that would be a lot faster than this thing, and wouldn't be much more expensive than what it'll cost to repair this one."
Friend: "Yeah... I think about it. Can I have my machine back, please?"
Tech: "You don't want to fix it, or buy a new system?"
Friend: "Uh... no. I think I can deal with this on my own. Bye."

He brought his machine home, hooked it back up, and called me.

After relating all of this to me, I told him, "That tech at Best Buy is full of crap. Give me one hour, and I'll have your system up and running again, without having to buy any new hardware."

So, earlier this evening, I sat down at his machine, and did the following:

- Booted into Safe Mode, ran scanregw, and fixed his registry problems.
- Cleaned up his taskbar and freed up lots of system resources.
- Installed and ran Ad-Aware, removing 350 pieces of spyware.
- Installed and configured ZoneAlarm.
- Installed and configured Mozilla Firefox.
- Ran Windows Update.
- Showed him how to defrag his hard drive.
- Sorted through his installed programs, and made a list of stuff he should remove.
- Recommended he add another 128Mb of RAM.

His machine now runs, in his words, "the best it has in 6 months."

As a final recommendation, I told him to go back to Best Buy, bark at the store manager and get his $30 back.

Here's the lesson for the non-computer savvy: There's a better than average chance that, when you take your machine into a major retail store for repairs, they are flat out lying to you in order to make a sale. Get a computer-geek friend to look at your system first.

imported_Firebird1
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:39:15 AM
Be wary of people in blue shirts...

Basicaly I could land a job there as a computer tech right now just because I have the OS part of the A+ complete...

Thats not saying much, because as far as I'm concerned thats not the way to run a shop for fixing computers.

The last thing you need is someone who hasn't had the experance in fixing anything complex look at a blue screen.

And the load of S*^&*$%%&@$ about the Hard Drive... Just a way of scamming more money off the top... I'd report That Best Buy number to the national corprate office. They have to give you the number if you ask. Don't let this guy go through this and have that tech get away with it.

imported_Firebird1
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:59:23 AM
You know, I'll probally just read this in the morning and ask myself WTFrell Was I thinking?!?!?!?!

Sejah Haversh
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:31:44 AM
I suppose this is a bad time to say this, but I'm applying for a job at Best Buy.

Just because the rest of them suck doesn't mean that I have to. I've sold computers and compter accessories for five years, and I actually do know what I'm doing most of the time. I'd never lie to a customer to make a sale, that's just bad form, and I could get fired. I have too much respect for my work,a nd for the people who patronize me.

That tech was an absolute idiot, though. No doubt about that.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:39:26 AM
Here's the lesson for the non-computer savvy: There's a better than average chance that, when you take your machine into a major retail store for repairs, they are flat out lying to you in order to make a sale. Get a computer-geek friend to look at your system first.

Booted into Safe Mode, ran scanregw, and fixed his registry problems.
- Cleaned up his taskbar and freed up lots of system resources.
- Installed and ran Ad-Aware, removing 350 pieces of spyware.
- Installed and configured ZoneAlarm.
- Installed and configured Mozilla Firefox.
- Ran Windows Update.
- Showed him how to defrag his hard drive.
- Sorted through his installed programs, and made a list of stuff he should remove.
- Recommended he add another 128Mb of RAM.

So many people I've had the same experience with. they call me after someone has borked up their PC and I'll I've done is to run Ad-Aware / PC cleanup and tuned, and the PC runs like a dream. You cant really go much wrong following that checklist Figrin posted.

Add AVG and you'll be sailing.

Two things I'll add....

1) If your on IE, I ask why. It's known to be dangerous and the fact is, I now have a 87 year old grannie running Firefox. She can use it, I dont see why others cant. It's not worth your PC being screwed up to run IE.

2) If you can, pay for ad-Aware Pro. Why? Well, because the free version is great and those guys deserve the dollars to keep Ad-Aware going. The more who buy Pro means the better Free stays.

What is boggling my mind is how few so called IT professionals have woken up to the risks of spyware yet.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:35:08 AM
Like I said....Saint Fig :angel

TheHolo.Net
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:18:10 AM
I have a little PC repair story of my own, but not quite as intricate in its complexity.

I got a call about a week ago from my great aunt in-law regarding her PC no longer booting up. She told me that she had called Gateway tech support for assistance but they had informed her that her support contract had expired just a couple months prior so it would cost her something like $4.99 per minute to give her phone support. She had also called a local PC repair shop and been quoted $99 per hour with a one hour minimum.

I asked a few basic questions regarding the error and quickly learned that my great aunt knew nothing about PCs except how to turn them on and use a few very basic programs. She had no phone near the PC so I couldn’t even get an exact error message out of her, nor could I even determine the OS, though considering the PC manufacturer and age of the PC I had guessed it was most likely XP. I also learned another tid-bit that helped me realize the fix shouldn’t take too much work; She had never had the computer connected to the Internet and had no plans to connect it to the Internet.

Considering she lived down in Denver (where my father and brother also live) and it was very close to my birthday, I made arrangements to go down and fix her PC for her, suspecting I could also use my visit to the big city to stop by and see my father and brother.

I went down loaded for bear with every OS install disk for every Windows OS I have (WinNT 4, Win 95,98,2000 and XP), and boot disks for each as well, along with my tool kit in case it was a hardware problem.

I arrived and booted the PC finding a “Missing %systemroot%\config\” error message. Unsure if there was a hard drive problem or a corruption problem I inserted her Gateway system restore disk to see what options it offered. The only real option it had was re-install the OS and additional software applications. I decided that was a little too drastic for a first step, so I removed her Gateway restore disk and inserted my XP install CD and booted off it entering the recovery console, happy that my guess that there was no administrator password had been a correct guess.

I browsed around from the prompt for about a minute and saw that the directory in question still existed. Leading me to believe there was most likely a corruption error in the boot sector. I ran the “fixmbr” and “fixboot” commands and decided to see if that was enough to fix the problem so I rebooted the PC.

Low and behold the PC booted right into her Windows XP desktop. I had ended up spending only 5 minutes on the problem, but surmised to myself that she would have been ripped off royally via phone support or the repair shop with the resources she had available. There was no repair console on the bootable Gateway Restore CD, so phone support would have had to walk her through a re-install and with her level of PC skill would have had to walk her through every step of the process, which would probably take well over an hour, and the repair shop may have been able to fix it like I did in less than ten minutes but would have charged her at least the one hour fee, if not more via dreamed up non-existent problems.

The moral of the story is much like Fig’s, if you know a computer geek and can talk them into helping you with a PC problem instead of taking it to a repair shop or dealing with expensive phone support, by all means do it.

Jordana Montegue
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:25:44 PM
Well ... maybe SWfans should open up a forum specifically designated for comp problems? I've asked a good number of questions here and have found that those who replied knew their stuff - and if they didn't, they directed me to links of sites that were right on the money. It'd be helpful to be able to scroll down the topics in one forum vs searching the board to see if a similar topic's been posted and .. yeah

And with the number of people here who are comp illiterate and those willing to help out ...

Just an idea :\

Charley
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:32:33 PM
I've become pretty learned on fixits by simply asking questions and trying to solve problems brute-force style.

When I worked as a techie at Birmingham Hematology & Oncology, I'd never touched the guts of a computer before, and never formatted one either. By the time I quit to go back to school, I could do all of that, just because I had to figure it out for myself. I've recently figured out how to completely rebuild a computer, from watching and helping out with my own. Now, should the need arise to upgrade more, I can do it easily.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:15:16 PM
I can remember being in 7th grade and building my first computer without any knowledge whatsoever how to do it. I researched the parts myself, ordered them, and threw the thing together :) of course I couldn't problem solve it, so my cousin (a network admin) saved the day.

Ah, memories. Learned so much since then.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2004, 04:43:29 PM
Originally posted by Jordana Montegue
Well ... maybe SWfans should open up a forum specifically designated for comp problems? I've asked a good number of questions here and have found that those who replied knew their stuff - and if they didn't, they directed me to links of sites that were right on the money. It'd be helpful to be able to scroll down the topics in one forum vs searching the board to see if a similar topic's been posted and .. yeah

And with the number of people here who are comp illiterate and those willing to help out ...

Just an idea :\

We already have a forum we use like that. The OOC forum is where the "techies" check most often, and so all of our "Help my comp. is doing weird things" threads should and usually do end up here. I haven't seen any not get replies. A sub-forum or a new forum wouldn't get checked as often as OOC and invariably any thread posted there would be ignored. :)

Mu Satach
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:14:58 PM
You know... I love this place just for the fact there are so many other tech heads hanging out here. :)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:52:20 AM
I have to say it somewhere so I'll say it here. I got my first "Official" Microsft Technical certification yesterday.

I am now a Microsoft Certified Professional in Windows XP.

My MCSA isn't too far down the road and also a CCNA certification. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:56:16 PM
Congrats! :D

Mu Satach
Feb 21st, 2004, 01:02:38 PM
Schweet!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:27:39 PM
yay for ogre! (http://dotnet.sw-fans.net/)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:36:48 PM
Thanks all!!!

And with that I become the subject of this week's dotnet comic. ^_^; :D

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:55:45 PM
That great news, Oges!! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2004, 09:32:45 PM
Hey, Ogre's been the subject of two now!

...if only I were so awesome. :grumble

;) Recognition well deserved :p

imported_Firebird1
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:53:20 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
yay for ogre! (http://dotnet.sw-fans.net/)

LOL!!
:D

Congrats Ogre!

Now don't get mad because it ate your Administrator account.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:13:55 AM
Hey, Congrats Big Green! Best of luck with the rest of your certs.