PDA

View Full Version : The Great Roach War

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:24:45 AM
The Great Roach War

Being that I am now an unwilling Texas inhabitant, I have come to expect many things. Bad drivers, biting cold (even snow) one day and then scorching heat the next, insane women who think they must get dolled up just to go get gas, the inability to buy alcohol in some stores because even though my ID says very clearly that I am 23 years old, I am apparently only 17 in Texas, buy a six-pack of Milwaukee’s Best and get a job to go with it (see Charley? The Beast is good for something!), have my car pushed across a Wal-Mart parking lot by a truck 3 times it’s size, met guys who make better looking women than I do, and many other happenings. I thought I had experienced it all, until 3 weeks after I moved into my apartment.

SKIRMISH #1: The First Offensive

About 3 weeks after moving to Dallas, I had the pleasure of entertaining Zasz, Silus, and Terran Starek for a few days in my wonderfully under-furnished home. As it happened, the night before Zasz arrived, Terran, myself, Silus, and Taylor went to the grocery store to get beer, and because my car is so s’Il-sized, Silus and Taylor decided to walk back to my apartment – it wasn’t a long walk, and as it was, no one in their right mind would think to mug two men, 6 foot 3, 200+ lbs each, so I didn’t really worry too much. So. Terran and I got back to my apartment, unloaded the beer, and then proceeded to watch Family Guy on my computer.

Ten minutes into it, I happened to look to my right, and lo and behold, one of the biggest cockroaches I’ve ever seen in my life swaggered across the living room floor as if he owned the place. Of course I pointed this out to Terran, and as any gentleman would do, he swiftly grabbed his shoe - his very BIG shoe. We then began to chase it around the room for a period of three minutes until, Terran, finally able to get a clear shot, swung with a strength I’ve never seen a man use in a single swing. He hit the beast full-on. Unfortunately, the thing must have had shoe repellant on, because as the shoe was lifted away, it looked up at the both of us, beady little cockroach eyes conveying a single message very clearly – “Well what the hell was THAT for??”

What followed was nothing less than mayhem, and after five more hits with the shoe, Terran finally succeeded in vanquishing his foe. We took it outside then, dumping it in the cigarette-butt bucket outside. By now, I can safely say that its carcass is buried beneath 7 feet of cigarette butts (not all of them are mine, thank you).

SKIRMISH #2: 1st Bathroom Assault

Approximately 2 weeks ago I thought I was doing pretty good for myself. I run a pretty clean ship, and despise garbage in just about any form. My apartment therefore, is pretty spotless (except for the spot on my carpet where Zasz’s route 44 Dr. Pepper lost its bottom as he picked it up). So you can imagine my surprise when I walked into my bathroom one night, turned on the light, and found myself staring down yet another vile creature. The look I got from this one was quite accusatory, as if I’d walked in on it as it was relieving itself. I yelled at it, of course, trying to show that I held no fear within a single bone of my body whatsoever, then charged. The monster fled (I think it was my fingernails that scared it), utilizing the perimeter of the bathroom to evade my foot (yes, it had a shoe on it. I’m not stupid). Once around and back again we went, myself uttering every battle-cry I could think of while still trying to be relatively mindful of the neighbors. The roach had to have been terrified, for it made a fatal error as we reached the point from where we’d begun – it ran out into the open. Now. This soldier was larger than the first, and much faster, leading me to believe that the vermin are creating mutants to fight this war. No Matter. I’m still heavier than it – by 4 lbs. And so down went my shoe…

And the creature POPPED. It literally popped – I could feel it through the shoe and into my bones. In the aftermath of this event, there was no denying it – my foe was becoming not only braver (having such gall as to use MY restroom), but smarter too - as was evident by the mutant-like qualities of the creature that had trouble fitting down the toilet.

SKIRMISH #3: 2nd Bathroom Assault

Like any other night, tonight was supposed to be spent doing relatively nothing. All of that changed though, as when I walked into my bathroom and turned on the light, yet ANOTHER incestuous monster was found – this one using my shower. It was trying to figure out how to turn the knobs to start the water, and thus hadn’t noticed my unexpected entrance, and subsequent silent exit.

My first thought was to call for reinforcements, so I IM’ed Charley in the hopes that he could come over and help me combat this thing – he said “no way”. I knew at that point that I was on my own, and left to my own devices, I came to the conclusion that not all of the swords that I collect absolutely had to be JUST wall decorations. I opted for the finely crafted curved dagger that my mother purchased for me many years ago. Dagger clutched in a two-fisted, white-knuckled grip, I tiptoed my way back into the bathroom. This is MY house – I wasn’t about to let it be annexed by these infidels.

It still was focused on trying to coax water from the tub faucet, and so it was apparent that I had the upper hand. What followed next was a pursuit from one end of the tub to the other, my blade deflected many times over. It dawned on me then, that since this thing was so intent on taking a shower, I’d certainly oblige it, and turning on the hot water, herded the beast towards the front of the tub. I can still hear his screams of agony, and believe me when I say that I took satisfaction from them. I brandished my dagger just like a triumphant warlord, knowing that victory was mine.

But, I know that the war isn’t over yet. I can only wait for the next time one of those horrid minions come crawling out for a fight. And when they do, I’ll be ready for them.

I really want to move out of this state :\

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:06:11 AM
The best ever cockroach combatants are cats. They regard roaches as some sort of crunchy and tasty snack.

Lariat Van-Metzger
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:11:36 AM
yet ANOTHER incestuous monster

:lol not only are they evil invaders, they're obviously related to the Van-Dervelds too!!

Kelt Simoson
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:23:50 AM
Man aint smiled in a while, cheers for that S'il expertly written :p

*snuggles*

You will win!

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:01:36 AM
Originally posted by Lariat Van-Metzger
:lol not only are they evil invaders, they're obviously related to the Van-Dervelds too!!

The Roach family paid quite well for a little 'insider' information - how else could we have afforded that castle? ;)

imported_Natia Telcontar
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:04:17 AM
I do believe my English teacher would be quite pleased with how that turned out (the writing)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:01:57 AM
Cats are good roach hunters, true enough. Don't move to florida if you think the ones in Tejas are bad.

Zasz Grimm
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:20:25 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
The Great Roach War

SKIRMISH #1: The First Offensive

About 3 weeks after moving to Dallas, I had the pleasure of entertaining Zasz, Silus, and Terran Starek for a few days in my wonderfully under-furnished home (( And get this, as soon as we leave she gets a desk, chairs, and futon. I had to take my own chairs with me, mind you, for this trip. ))

SKIRMISH #2: 1st Bathroom Assault

Approximately 2 weeks ago I thought I was doing pretty good for myself. I run a pretty clean ship, and despise garbage in just about any form. My apartment therefore, is pretty spotless (except for the spot on my carpet where Zasz’s route 44 Dr. Pepper lost its bottom as he picked it up). (( *SO* not my fault. I can still remember all of our reactions... "WTF!?"...And then james put it on my bad Karma. Well big man, you still got yours coming! ))

SKIRMISH #3: 2nd Bathroom Assault

I really want to move out of this state :\

Trust me, you've not seen anything yet. If they bother you that much, live someplace cold. It sucks out here in East Texas. And morg, through my experience of living in Jacksonville, FL. And then in Dallas and East texas, it is by far worse here.

P.S. Watch out for Waterbugs. They are about 4 times bigger than normal roaches, more resilient. They fly- one flew at me. I lit him on fire.

Good luck, Soldier.

P.P.S
Cats are good roach hunters

Needless to say, they own. I've got 5. Trust me, I know.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:34:40 PM
silly zasz - i got the desk prolly a month and a half after you guys left, and the futon and endtables 2 weeks ago :p as for your drink bottoming out on you, you know i can never let you live it down :)

i used to live in jacksonville too, but the only bug-related thing i remember were the fireants. those were killer.

in houston, my g/f's brand new laredo was infested by a nest of waterbugs - it was so gross. she opened the back once and one flew out at us :x

im used to running into the occasional roach and waterbug, but it still doesnt mean i dont despise their filthy little carcasses and their wee beady eyes any less :)

Shanaria Fabool
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:12:54 PM
If you don't want roaches around you could allways move up here to Canada! I've lived on Vancover Island my whole life, and asside from the traveling bug Zoo that came to my class when I was in grade 4, I have never seen a single Roach! :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:26:04 PM
I saw a roach once. Down a toilet in Turkey. We have no such things here tho ;)

Darth007
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:39:51 PM
Zasz, just curious, where do you live in Texas?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:18:39 PM
Zasz, Jacksonville is in a completely different climate than Miami.

Zasz Grimm
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:45:32 PM
Originally posted by Darth007
Zasz, just curious, where do you live in Texas?

Winnsboro. Not to be confused with Woodsboro, the town from Scream. It's about 50 miles or so from Dallas, Same to Tyler- 2 and a half from Shrevport.

Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Zasz, Jacksonville is in a completely different climate than Miami.

True story. They're probably bad.

Originally posted by s'Ilancy
silly zasz - i got the desk prolly a month and a half after you guys left, and the futon and endtables 2 weeks ago :p as for your drink bottoming out on you, you know i can never let you live it down :)

=/

Tear
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:23:17 PM
Originally posted by Shanaria Fabool
If you don't want roaches around you could allways move up here to Canada! I've lived on Vancover Island my whole life, and asside from the traveling bug Zoo that came to my class when I was in grade 4, I have never seen a single Roach! :)

*Knocks on wood* same here. Lived on Vancouver island then moved to the mainland. Dont see roaches but instead we get those big ugly wolf spiders...hate those

Travis North
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:49:21 PM
Move to Canada. Not a single roach.

Mahvash
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:15:00 PM
Originally posted by Travis North
Move to Canada. Not a single roach.

Lies, my Mom lived in Toronto, in an apartment, and she had roaches.

We do have them, just in the large cities, and like Shan I've yet to meet a Roach face to face.

Travis North
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:19:44 PM
Yes well the only place of roaches I know in Canada would be in Toronto at the Ontario Science Center.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:26:35 PM
naw, no canada for me

alabama is where i wanna be :mischief

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:38:40 PM
No cockroaches there, it's rednecks instead.

...I'm joking, don't shoot ;)

Darth007
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:56:04 PM
aw darn thats no where near Houston then

Vhiran Crescent
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:12:10 PM
Well, you know in your lifetime you swallow about 6 spiders while your sleeping. I'm not sure what it is with cockroaches but I have heard of people chocking while they were sleeping. So uh, yea, keep your mouth shut while you sleep....

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:12:37 PM
i used to live in houston o_O out in galena park, on normandy

Travis North
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:19:55 PM
With what Fett?

A Canadian is just an American without a gun and has health care.

Salemn Lysce
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:27:43 PM
omgomgomgomg. >_< I hate roaches, absolutely hate them. s'Il, I truly admire your courage to not run away screaming. In Georgia I was constantly attacked by Palemino (sp?) bugs. ;;shudders;;

However, the question is - are they big and dark brown, or medium and lighter brown? If they're the smaller ones, then those are the roaches to look out for - because if there's one, you're living with an entire colony.

Silus Xilarian
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:03:12 PM
These are massive beasts of hell. Were she to be living with a colony, I believe they would have over thrown the entire apartment building, and the house across the street, and part of the police station by now.

Charley
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:07:43 PM
Certain parts of the year (Fall & Winter, mostly), roaches get pretty bad in Alabama. Go out on the porch, and its like a scene from Starship Troopers.

I like to kill them with my Ka-Bar. I like to kill all household pests with my Ka-Bar. In fact, there are very few utilitarian activities that I do without my Ka-Bar.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:21:39 PM
yet you still wouldnt come over and kill the thing when i asked :(

Charley
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:47:13 PM
Pretty much. They're still icky.

imported_Taja Loraan
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:14:50 PM
I live in Bangladesh, btw.