PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling IE

Ace McCloud
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:35:53 PM
I need some help uninstalling Internet Explorer as I simply can't stand it anymore. Now I am pretty computer literate but it just doesn't seem to want to uninstall. I'm using XP, anyone mind giving me a helping hand?

ReaperFett
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:43:44 PM
In Windows, IE uninstalls you! :p

I think I heard there isn't a proper uninstaller.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:45:57 PM
i heard that you can screw up windows if you uninstall it - though im probably waaay off on that one o_O

TheHolo.Net
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:49:09 PM
It can be done, but it isn't easy since its part of the OS.

Travis North
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:49:36 PM
In Soviet Russia, road forks you.

You can't uninstall it. It's integrated with XP you can either update it so it doesn't become as big a problem or hide the icons.

Ace McCloud
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:50:58 PM
damnit. Thats what I thought. It's been giving me alot of problems, as regards to odd popups that happen every x number of hours, installing wierd programs and stuff. I hate microsoft.

Travis North
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:56:34 PM
Get Zone Alarm and the Google toolbar. I have no popups. The Google bar includes a free popup blocker.

Figrin D'an
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:08:55 PM
- Install a software firewall (such as the aforementioned ZoneAlarm) and block IE from gaining access to the internet.
- Disable Messenger service ... see here (http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_service_popups.htm)
- Never use IE ever again

Mu Satach
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:11:16 PM
Install Firefox or Mozilla and set as your default browser.
Set up Zone Alarm.
Clean your system of spyware & crap.
Disable Windows Messanger Service.
Do not use IE when surfing the web.

Ace McCloud
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:15:46 PM
Alright, thanks.

Shawn
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:28:09 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
I used to have Zone Alarm...cracked of course. Seems I shall have to ... hmm...borrow it! Yes! Alright, thanks. First and only warning: Do not discuss your illegal activities here.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:40:42 PM
I used to have Zone Alarm...cracked of course. Seems I shall have to ... hmm...borrow it! Yes! Alright, thanks.

-_-

Someone like to tell this person there's a freeware version of Zome alarm that's quite acceptible??????

Ace McCloud
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:58:17 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
First and only warning: Do not discuss your illegal activities here.

I know. But I literally meant borrowing from a friend.

And thanks Marcus, though it would have been much better to just tell me directly. I don't know everything you know. Last time I checked it wasn't free - but that was a long time ago.

Shawn
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:23:07 PM
I know. But I literally meant borrowing from a friend.A) You discussed cracking it. That's illegal.

B) Borrowing it from a friend is still illegal, since you do not own a license for the software.

As Marcus stated, there's a free version which works fine.

Ace McCloud
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:34:59 PM
Oh, right. Yea, sorry.