PDA

View Full Version : TIE Aquatica (TIE/Aq)

Travis North
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:24:49 PM
Name: Aquatica-class TIE fighter (TIE/Aq)

Class: Aqua based TIE Fighter

Type/Model: Aquatic Superiority Fighter

Manufacturer: Imperial Sovereignty

Dimensions: Teardrop cockpit, 3 wings. Resembles a TIE/Df

Length: 7.8 meters

Cargo Capacity: 75 kilograms

Armament: 2 torpedo salvos, 6 blaster cannons, 1 small rotating double blaster turret.

Defenses: Reinforced hull, standard shield

Consumables: 5 days

Engines/Drive Plant: Twin Ion Engine, 6 thrusters (all modified for aquatic use). Solar arrays panels (modified for extra energy storage) 1 small generator.

Shield Rating: 100 SBD

Hull Rating: 20 RU

Speed: 80 MGLT

Crew: 1 pilot

Design Specifications: Reinforced hull throughout the craft painted in aquatic colors, 2 thrusters on the rear of each wing, ion engines at rear tip of the cockpit, 2 blaster cannons on each wing, 1 rotating dual blaster cannon on lower part of rear tip, shield emitter on upper part of rear tip, solar array panels embeded into reinforced hull on wings to maintain maneuverability . Power generator for prolonged use under water.

Production: Approved, Eriadu Manufacturing.

Teleran Balades
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:32:53 PM
whoa! 300 RU?! Is that to withstand water presure? If not tone it down a bit, thats equal to a light capital ship.

Travis North
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:34:31 PM
Hey first timer. What would you put?

Teleran Balades
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:43:51 PM
Sorry. Tie's by nature have low hull ratings to cut manufacture cost and time, but because this ones designed for aquatic superiority I'd say somewhere between 25-35 RU.

Travis North
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:38:10 PM
Comments? I need a little input on some things such as what to put for Design specs and Dimensions. The info in those space now doesn't seem right and I need to know the standard rating for shields.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:10:02 PM
Well, a TIE Defender (which this is being modeled off, correct?) is 7.2 meters long and has a shield rating of 100 SBD.

However, I'm not sure if the average shield design would work underwater. I'm assuming no since it's an energy based defensive system, though I'm not 100% on this.

Travis North
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:18:09 PM
I was thinking shields would be active for the time above water.

Say if these models were used in an assault on an water based planet with scattered islands. The TIEs would rise out of the water, activate the shields thus protecting them from blaster fire.

Now, I'm still thinking about the slugthrowers. Perhaps the set on the top wing should be replaced with lasers. This would save on ammo for the slugthrowers.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:21:37 PM
Hmm...

One of the things you have to think about is that you'll have to actually angle the craft to fire the lasers. I would sugguest having a single turret with a medium laser cannon.

Edit:
Good idea w/ the shields

Travis North
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:31:40 PM
Thanks.

That's a good idea but that would add to the weight. It would also lower maneuverability.

Weight currently is somewhat to the max. I removed the H-drive so I could get the extra hull plating and room for the slugthrowers plus ammo. Not to mention the modifactions to engines.

I'm not sure what else to scrap. I was thinking long range sensors but they would be required to navigate the ocean depths.

Can't forget funds either. The Sovereignty could afford it. Each model though....

Khendon Sevon
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:51:24 PM
Interesting:

http://insd.swcombine.com/insd/tiesub2.htm

According to that link blasters work underwater (not lasers, but blasters).

In my opinion you should use a tear drop cockpit/hull design to allow more space.

In regards to weapons, if you still want to go with the slug throwers I would use larger rounds and have less guns and higher rate of fire. That would probably reduce at least some of the weight.

If you lower the quality of the shielding (they'll probably be versing small arms when above water anyway) you can get away with more weight reduction.

Travis North
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:33:36 PM
Well now haven't seen that before. I'll guess this one will be the newer model.

Ok well I'll scrap the slugthrowers for blasters.

The teardrop cockpit works and I can have the small rotating blaster turret on the bottom along with a moderate power generator. It should be capable of sustaining the ships entire power consumption.

The design can still maintain it's maneuverability.

That's excellent.

Travis North
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:35:50 PM
Well I think I'm done. Any last comments?

imported_Reshmar
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:14:20 PM
Dont all aquatic craft use repulsors for movement? would the Twin Ion Drives work underwater? The solar collectors will do you no good. once you were 20 or so meters under water there would be very little sunlight and deeper than that well none. you would need a better power source than a normal tie system. some type of battery system. I beleave you can also use repulsors to creat a field around the craft underwater which acts liks a shield to repel it. I may be wrong but I will do some thinking on it.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:20:47 PM
Actually, they're not solar collectors in the sense that we think. The panels actually collect solar radiation, not light energy.

At least, that's according to the Technical Journals.

That basically means they wouldn't work very well underwater, as stated.

imported_Reshmar
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:34:18 AM
Khendon, What Do you think about the Repulsor being used as some sort of underwater shielding? I mean it would not keep out weapons fire but it should water pressure.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:48:53 AM
I'm not too sure on that one. According to the tech books repulsors don't work on planets with crazy magnetic fields, this makes me blieve it's a technology that works against the planets natural fields.

If we follow that train of thought I don't see it providing any benefit to protection from depths.

Travis North
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:22:14 PM
Ah theoretically it should work.

Final, final comments?

Khendon Sevon
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:43:51 PM
I say it's done. :) good work.

Travis North
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:47:27 PM
Repulsors only work on the surface. Thrusters work under water.

Thanks. Now to get the plan passed.