PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Security Bulletin M503-043

Jordana Montegue
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:15:30 AM
Ok, this is getting very annoying. This shows how well that stupid popup blocker from earthlink really works.

We keep getting this pop up window on our comp that says:

Messenger Service

Message from WINDOWS NETWORKS to WINDOWS USERS on 2/12/2004 10:09:29 AM

Microsoft Security Bulletin M503-043

Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution (8280365)

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows NT Workstation
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Win98
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Non Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Your system is affected, download the patch from the address below ! FIRST TYPE THE ADDRESS BELOW INTO YOUR INTERNET BROWSER, THEN CLICK 'OK'. THE ADDRESS WILL DISAPPEAR ONCE YOU HIT 'OK'.

www.windows-patch.info

Now, I haven't done as this pop up says. I have no idea if its going to give me a virus, if this pop up is legit or what.

Any help, tips and advice is most appreciated.

Crystal
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:26:02 AM
No idea what it does or why you're getting it.. but the only place you should get a patch for windows would be microsoft.com

Charley
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:01:57 PM
If I remember correctly, its not something your popup blocker is set to counter at all. You have to do something else to get rid of that.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:07:30 PM
Its the windows messenger service, which isn't Earthlink's fault. Windows ships with it enabled.

First, go to the control pannel.

Click administrative tools. Open services. Right click on "Messenger" Select properties. Set the start up type to manual. Stop the service.

Click Ok.

Close the Services control winow. All done. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:20:45 PM
Ok, this is getting very annoying. This shows how well that stupid popup blocker from earthlink really works.

It's not Earthlink's fault and it's exactly as Morgan said to fix AND it tells me your not got a firewall running.

Download and install Zonealarm. All PC's should have at least MS's firewall switched on, else your PC will become infected with something or zombiefied.

Patches are only availible via the Microsoft Windows Update site and Mircosoft do not, ever send pop ups or email advising of patches.

Jordana Montegue
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:29:38 PM
:) Thanks very much. I'm comp illiterate, so please forgive my ignorance. The firewall is something completely different from the pop up blocker?

Is this zonealarm free?

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:30:51 PM
Yes and yes to both your questions

Jordana Montegue
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:06:19 PM
Thanks again, I appreciate it.