PDA

View Full Version : This angers me.

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:44:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-us-mexicosoccer&prov=ap&type=lgns

Brotherhood my butt. Don't mind urine tossing or boos or whatever, but that crosses the line.

jjwr
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:10:23 AM
Whats their issue? Since when was Mexico involved in that sort of thing?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:53:18 AM
Things such as this just reaffirm my opinion that we should have closed the border a loooong time ago. :mad

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:10:37 AM
It's amazing how a 'few dozen' idiots can taint an entire event. :mad

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:28:18 AM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Things such as this just reaffirm my opinion that we should have closed the border a loooong time ago. :mad
Due to 24 out of 57,000?

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:52:10 AM
All illegals should get the boot in my opinion. Screw 'em.

Darth Viscera
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:40:36 AM
Some Mexican soccer fans apparently think it witty and fresh to remind us that we have a mass-murdering religious fanatic constantly trying to kill us. Maybe someone should yell "peg-leg" at them :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:21:26 PM
its just a few bozos I wouldn't look at it as symbolizing all mexicans.

Charley
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:43:27 PM
Originally posted by Kitty McQuade

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:53:41 PM
Originally posted by Kitty McQuade

Sorry, where is the relevence to this story? It was in Mexico.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:29:19 PM
That attitude isn't welcome over the border . They all want to come here, I as an American don't want them here.

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:32:01 PM
The thread is about a tiny number of Mexicans in Mexico making some bad comments, nothing else. Not what you think about Mexico or Mexicans as a whole.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:34:18 PM
Please don't defend it, and don't make excuses for it either. I have the right to be offended by it. Thank you.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:42:06 PM
Well this thread is on the verge of being slammed shut....

Charley
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:43:23 PM
why?

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:45:41 PM
why, because I'm not letting Fett run me off?

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:48:28 PM
No, because its going to turn hostile real quick and I'm sorry, but discussions on keeping people from crossing the border isn't exactly constructive. It isn't closed yet, but as soon as the flames and accusations come out, it's over.

This is a thread about 'a few dozen' bozos chanting "Osama Osama" at a soccer game, not whether or not Mexicans should be allowed to enter the U.S.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:49:22 PM
They're soccer hooligans. It's what they do. I don't think they would care if it was American or Uruguay. They'd still chant over anything and be as rude as possible, especially when they've just won.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:54:05 PM
That's another thing that burns me up. The frelling Hooligans.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:55:02 PM
Originally posted by JMK
No, because its going to turn hostile real quick and I'm sorry, but discussions on keeping people from crossing the border isn't exactly constructive. It isn't closed yet, but as soon as the flames and accusations come out, it's over.

This is a thread about 'a few dozen' bozos chanting "Osama Osama" at a soccer game, not whether or not Mexicans should be allowed to enter the U.S.

Maybe that doesn't bother you, but I'm not the only one that feels the way I do.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:00:37 PM
I never said I did like it, but Mexicans coming to the U.S. isn't what this thread is about. If you want to discuss immigration and international policy regarding it, start a new thread.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:02:22 PM
don't get smart with me.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:03:37 PM
:lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:11:34 PM
Whoa! Wait, wait, wait! My bad! This is kinda my fault.

JMK, you and Fett are right. This wasnt about immigration and I led it down the wrong path. I didnt mean to, sorry. Heres what I should have said:

I think its utterly tasteless and completely without thought that they would start chanting 'Osama'. if the Mexican team had lost, I could see hooligan type of shennanigans going on - but after a win? I dont appreciate their actions or words one bit! :(

Darth Viscera
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:13:16 PM
It's not confined to a few dozen. This same thing happened a few days ago as well, this is the 2nd such incident.

Figrin D'an
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:15:50 PM
Kitty... seriously, calm down.

On topic... as egregious and inappropriate as such a thing might be, it's no worse than what soccer hooligans do to any number of opposing teams. I'd much rather suffer some rude and crude comments than be trapped in the middle of riots and have people being trampled by rowdy mobs of fans.

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:28:46 PM
I'd rather have bags of urine thrown on me....

On second thought...

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:30:09 PM
I wouldnt have minded had the chant been along the lines of 'USA sucks' or something similiar. But to chant 'Osama'....:mad

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:32:22 PM
They were just chanting something that they knew would tick people off and get a rise. I don't think there's any real hate behind it.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:38:29 PM
People do tasteless stuff like this all the time. Canada has done it to the U.S., and the U.S. has done it to Canada. But to let a bunch of classless, depraved drunkards paint a picture of an entire people, that's ridiculous.
Those Mexicans who hit an ultra sensitive nerve with the Osama chant should be embarassed of themselves. And so should anyone who pulls a stunt like that.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:55:29 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
They were just chanting something that they knew would tick people off and get a rise. I don't think there's any real hate behind it.

I agree and it is in very poor taste but you will always have a minority of sports supporters who cross the line and hit below the belt with their jeering. I don't think I know of any sports hooligans worse than English football fans. :\

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:11:23 PM
Europe has it as bad, the English just have a label attatched to them. Turkey is AWFUL for it. And South America is 100s of times worse IMO.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:14:15 PM
That's true. I saw a documentary on the mafia-esque groups that start up around football clubs. Some end up having more influence on the teams choices/new player purchases than the managers.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:19:18 PM
Wasn't a referee in Columbia chased down and shot by an angry football/soccer mob?

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:20:57 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Wasn't a referee in Columbia chased down and shot by an angry football/soccer mob?
Yeah, and a player from the 1994 World Cup was shot dead for an own goal.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:32:32 PM
Someone should have told those people that as relevant as football/soccer is to some cultures, its still just a freaking game...

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:50:28 PM
Eh, some of these cultures are poor... can't take away soccer riots now... how would they have their christmas then?

Charley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:13:41 PM
I'm just glad that hooliganism hasn't spread to football here. I mean, as a Bama boy, I rag on "that cow college" pretty hard, but I don't think there's ever been an incident of "LOL U GUYZ SUCK SOMEBODY AT YOUR SCHOOL DIED LOL"

Thats just being a jackwad. You are hereby justified to dislocate their jaw for it.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:16:46 PM
I think North American sports fans can control themselves better than other sports fans. Mind you there are riots at least a few times a year, but no one dies.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24:45 PM
lmao, Pode!

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:00:09 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Eh, some of these cultures are poor... can't take away soccer riots now... how would they have their christmas then?

Stop wasting bandwidth

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:38:43 PM
North American sport fans leave it on the field... not much violence from the out come of a match.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:44:56 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Stop wasting bandwidth

Please heed own advice. Thank you. :p

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:47:32 PM
North American sport fans leave it on the field... not much violence from the out come of a match.
Except those celebrations we keep seeing when the cheering fans end up having riot police stopping them, right? :)

Yes, we see this on our TV :)

EDIT - an example http://www.streetgangs.com/newsletter/053000lakerswin.html

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:49:23 PM
Those aren't bad though. Celebrations are a good thing.

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:51:13 PM
Call this celebration?

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:52:38 PM
Nobody likes LA.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:55:19 PM
Riots are usually examples of celebrations gone out of control. (Unless its West Virginia. They seem to riot for almost any reason. :lol)

Killing players and refs is an example of ________)?

I'm not defending rioters, but killing people in the name of sport is insane.

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:01:41 PM
The only time it is acceptable for a player to die in a sport is Nascar and only nascar. And even then its sad. Officials can be hated for their bad calls, but not killed.

Jedieb
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:29:23 PM
Must resist to urge to join in immigration fray......... Papi, Mami, gracias a Dios que te deharon entrar en el paiz en los cinquentas....

Anyway, I think it's perfectly acceptable for professional figure skaters to die. Whether they die attempting a triple Lutz, or stoning by enraged, drunken hockey fans who showed up at the rink on the wrong night. These "athletes" simply MUST die.

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:21:25 PM
Oh. If you count figure skating as a sport, then yes, the ice should break for them.

CMJ
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:32:54 PM
The only time it is acceptable for a player to die in a sport is Nascar and only nascar. And even then its sad. Officials can be hated for their bad calls, but not killed.

Being a jockey is even more dangerous than driving a race car.

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:36:06 PM
It is, but not many die from it, just get paralyzed and what not.

CMJ
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:40:40 PM
I'm not sure about that...it seems at *least* one jockey a year gets killed in an accident. One just did a few days ago in fact.

Ryan Pode
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:41:33 PM
Really? I didn't hear about it... I'd figure Sportscenter or Yahoo! Sports would have it.

CMJ
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:44:46 PM
Yeah, it was the first death since 2001, but it's the 144th since 1940 when records in the USA started being kept.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:25:14 PM
Yeah I knew Horse racing was brutal, it was worse in the older days. Also about North American fans it can bad occasionaly what about that Giant fan that killed a Dodger fan. That is the worse example I can think of fantasism going out of control. Although the celebrations can get insane. Look what happens when Maryland wins the National Championship :p

Ryan Pode
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:11:14 PM
So much hate on my teams and fans.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:59:07 PM
Hey I am just kidding. Now I have to say this if the Red Sox ever won the World Series I be afraid in Boston. It be mass riots.

JMK
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:22:19 PM
Oh yeah. Boston would burn IMO. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there if the Sox won the WS.

Ryan Pode
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:14:30 PM
I'd punch a kid I know because he'd be happy. I.E He's a Boston kid. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't blab always on how great a Boston team is doing. Although when the Sox lost, he didn't go to school for a week. :D

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:27:43 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Except those celebrations we keep seeing when the cheering fans end up having riot police stopping them, right? :)
Celebrations? That was only one occurrence.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:41:21 AM
Actually, I think Americans are just as bad about sports as other people. Only we do it with Football, not Soccer. I have seen quite a few people get very very uppity about football games, University of Georgia games in particular.

Now imagine if people were just as passionate about things like education, or eliminating crime, or living a morally upright life.

Ryan Pode
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:52:55 AM
University of Georgia? I'd think maybe some Alabama Schools or some Texas schools. Even some ACC schools can get pretty nasty.

JMK
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:15:04 PM
Of course people get uppity over sports all over the world, but I have yet to hear of an umpire or referee in North America getting murdered by maniacal fans, or players that score in their own net getting wacked. That's just ridiculous.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:48:27 PM
Of course those two morons attacked an ump in one game, although I think they were drunk.

Ryan Pode
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:11:04 PM
Drunk and rednecks.

Charley
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:44:59 PM
Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
Actually, I think Americans are just as bad about sports as other people. Only we do it with Football, not Soccer. I have seen quite a few people get very very uppity about football games, University of Georgia games in particular.

Now imagine if people were just as passionate about things like education, or eliminating crime, or living a morally upright life.

Please point me to incidents of murder, mass trampling and other such things. Then and only then will you have a point.

Drunk and rednecks.

You are not funny. Cease and desist.

Charley
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:51:36 PM
University of Georgia? I'd think maybe some Alabama Schools or some Texas schools. Even some ACC schools can get pretty nasty.

Please name an Alabama school that has had a riot over football please. Your ignorance is beyond words.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:45:12 PM
Drunk and rednecks.
Oh I get it. Rednecks are dumb and drink a lot, lololol!!!1

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:22:13 PM
He was talking about the guys who attacked that Ump in Kansas City (I think) they were both drunk and rednecks he was stating the truth.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:12:51 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
He was talking about the guys who attacked that Ump in Kansas City (I think) they were both drunk and rednecks he was stating the truth.
Where do you get rednecks from?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:04:23 AM
They were, to me they sure acted like rednecks at least from what I saw of them.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:19:36 AM
They were, to me they sure acted like rednecks at least from what I saw of them.

This != rednecks. This = idiots. Not all rednecks are idiots. Most have a decent dose of common sense.

Ryan Pode
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:46:27 AM
I don't know about you, but I tend to ues the term redneck to people that do that and those guys in cops that live in a trailer with their shirts off and beat their wives.

JediBoricua
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:11:15 AM
Me encanta escuchar cuando un país compuesto de extranjeros habla de cerrar las fronteras...anyway

Sports fans in Latin Ameria being stupid...nah. Each years you get a couple of death in soccer matches all over L. America. Actually some fields are surrounded by 20 ft fences with barb wire and such. And about that soccer player being killed in Colombia after giving the US it's only victory via an auto-goal, it had less to do with nationalism and more with a drug-mogul in Colombia loosing millions in sporting bets.

Still, fans are like this all over the world. Every time a team wins a major championship in any city of the US a couple hundred people burn a dozen or so cars, rob some stores etc. It happened in Chicago with the Bulls, in Boston with the Pats, in Denver with the Avalanche, etc.

It's normal, it's stupid, but it's normal.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:14:11 PM
I agree with Ryan that is what I consider Rednecks. I don't consider all southerns rednecks. Just fools like that.

Charley
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:13:49 PM
I don't know about you, but I tend to ues the term redneck to people that do that and those guys in cops that live in a trailer with their shirts off and beat their wives.

So is that what you think of me? You've used the term in regards to me at least once before.

Figrin D'an
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:26:07 PM

I believe you're thinking of the incident in Chicago a couple of seasons ago. Two guys (a father and a son, IIRC) jumped out of the stands at Comisky Park and attacked Kansas City Royals firstbase coach Tom Gamboa. Both were drunk. The whole thing was broken up fairly quickly, and Gamboa wasn't seriously hurt.

Although, admittedly, it might have been more fitting to let the incident continue for a couple of minutes, because the two drunk morons were about to get pummeled by the entire Royals roster.

Ryan Pode
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:33:09 PM
So is that what you think of me? You've used the term in regards to me at least once before.

Eh. I was probably mad at you for some reason or another.

Charley
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:52:52 PM
Eh. I was probably mad at you for some reason or another.

Lodge your complaints to me next time, rather than whining to somebody else, and name-dropping. I don't care if you pop off at the mouth, so to speak, but you'd better do it to my face, if at all.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:30:24 PM
Well not all rednecks have to be southern :p I don't why I thought the game was in KC maybe it was because the Royals were playing.

JMK
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:56:15 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Although, admittedly, it might have been more fitting to let the incident continue for a couple of minutes, because the two drunk morons were about to get pummeled by the entire Royals roster.

I would have LOVED to have seen that. The Ligues (that's the family name) would have been beaten to death, probably in a literal sense. To let a bunch of jacked up, ticked off ball players loose on a couple drunken rejects, that would have set a total precedent. Either the Ligues would have sued for millions or losers like them would never pull a stunt like that again.