PDA

View Full Version : Possible spoiler - Official look at Episode 3 villain?

JMK
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:43:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0439339316/qid=1076460374//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-3619713-3739020?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

If that's him (General Grievous), he looks a lot cooler than I was picturing.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:35:37 PM
Theres a pic??

JMK
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:16:12 PM
I half expected this, but I guess they were forced to take the image down. I would then assume that yes, that actually is the character in question.

JMK
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:39:32 PM
I found the image somewhere else. PM me if you want to see it. ;)

darth_mcbain
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:04:56 PM
If they were forced to take it down - that's promising that this could be a legitimate pic... :)

BTW - love your new avatar, JMK... Lah dee FRICKIN' DAH!!! :lol

JMK
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:55:38 PM
:lol Thanks McBain!

darth_mcbain
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:05:53 AM
Very cool pic. It is slightly different than I had imagined, but pretty close.

darth_mcbain
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:00:20 PM
From Lucasarts (and also TF.N)...

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/84.html

LUCASARTS REVEALS DETAILS ON STAR WARS REPUBLIC COMMANDO™
Marin County, Calif. - February 13, 2004 - Enter the covert world of the Star Wars infantry for the first time and become a member of an elite Republic Special Operations unit in LucasArts new squad based first-person shooter, Star Wars Republic Commando. Set during the Clone Wars, between Attack of the Clones and the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III, Star Wars Republic Commando will be released fall 2004 for the PC and Xbox® video game system from Microsoft.

Mission briefings set the tone in this dark first-person shooter, as players lead their squads on a variety of assignments such as hostage rescue, infiltration/data retrieval, elimination, assault, sabotage and reconnaissance operations. Your three-man team is controlled through an intuitive and accessible "smart squad" command system, based on squad markers and stances. The game features more than fifteen levels, with exercises covering both familiar and new Star Wars settings and characters, including the introduction of the mysterious General Grievous and his deadly bodyguards from the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III.

Looks like it is official now... :)

darth_mcbain
Feb 20th, 2004, 08:52:19 AM
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/publicity/news20040220.html

Looks like General Grievous will be making an appearance in the Clone Wars cartoons!!! I had seen some spoiler reports earlier to that effect, but it looks like it is official now. That will make a nice tie-in with Ep. III. Incidentally, the second set of these cartoons is set to start March 26. Only about a month to go!!!

darth_mcbain
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:11:11 AM
From the OS - there's an excerpt from the new book where General Grievous makes an appearance. The description sounds pretty good!!!

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/03/news20040302.html

darth_mcbain
Mar 11th, 2004, 09:54:39 AM
From TF.N - General Grievous is on the cover of the latest SW Insider. They have a link to a larger picture, though I can't get it to come up - server must be pretty busy. The smaller pic on TF.N, though, looks really awesome!!!

http://paizo.com/image/product/magazine_issue/swinsider/75/cover_500.jpg

JMK
Mar 11th, 2004, 09:58:36 AM
I tried that link a couple hours ago, I couldn't get it then either. :\

darth_mcbain
Mar 11th, 2004, 09:59:54 AM
I found this other link that works a little better...

SWEEEEEETTTTT!

http://www.imageshack.us/files1/Grievous_Insider75_cover_LMM.jpg

JMK
Mar 11th, 2004, 05:36:25 PM
Yep. That works.
I don't know how I feel about him though. Most things out of the Star Wars universe usually SCREAM "Star Wars" to me. So far, this doesn't.
Oh yeah, Jar Jar didn't either. :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 11th, 2004, 07:30:15 PM
He looks like a bionicle. :x

Droo
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:01:04 PM
I'm not fussy on how he looks to be honest.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:10:15 PM
So we're 3/3 so far on not big fans of Grievous? They describe him as part alien part robot, but he looks almost ALL robot.

Ryla Relvinian
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:42:36 PM
I'm way more hyped up by the new look at Anakin turning into Vader. There's a news article with a nasty, nasty picture of Burn Victim Anakin... Hey, I wonder if that's gonna be a new toy.

Dae Jinn
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:47:57 PM
You could always stick your Anakin figure in the microwave Ryla ;)

Then it would have realistic burning smell ...action (or something catch-phrasey)! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2004, 08:30:49 AM
LOL About Grevious I think he is a Cyborg, he is part Alien like Darth Vader is part human. He seems kind of cool to me but I guess we will have to wait and see.

darth_mcbain
Mar 12th, 2004, 09:40:31 AM
I really like the way he looks - however I also have to agree with JMK - there are certain things that just make you think Star Wars - and so far I'm not sure that Grievous does that for me. I'm sure that as we go along, though, he'll seem more in place with the SW Universe.

JMK
Mar 12th, 2004, 12:51:27 PM
That's what I'm hoping - that once we see him interact within the SW universe that he will blend in and seem like he's always been there. Right now he seems like something out of Bionicle, like LD said.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2004, 05:39:16 PM
His voice could help too, I kinda of wonder who they will get to play him.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 12th, 2004, 07:49:10 PM
I don't know, it's hard to get excited about him. "Oh look, another totally CGI character." :|

Ishan Shade
Mar 12th, 2004, 09:23:42 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
"Oh look, another totally CGI character." :|

My sentiments exactly.

JMK
Mar 13th, 2004, 12:20:00 AM
Agreed. A lot of the stuff in the prequels, IMO at least was put there because the ability to put it there existed. For example, I HATE Zam Wessel's changeling-ness. I think it stinks.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:14:59 AM
The one thing that has never sucked in the prequels is that the main villians. Dooku, Maul, Sidious. This is the only thing that is consistently good. If Grevious is a main villian, then I think there is a high chance it could work.

But then again....

Maybe Dooku, Maul and Sidious were flukes.

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I don't know, it's hard to get excited about him. "Oh look, another totally CGI character." :|

It's ILM. They have had a nasty tendancy to make suck CGI charaters. If it was WETA, I would think they could pull it off nicely.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2004, 12:52:57 PM
I don't think Grevious is going to be the main villain I think he will be secondary like Jango. The main villains will be Palpatine and Anakin, IMO.

darth_mcbain
Mar 15th, 2004, 03:56:49 PM
More images...

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2004/03/news20040315.html

James Prent
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:34:16 PM
"He's actually developed a sense of vanity, a pride in how he looks," says Barnes, who labored over the final sculpt of the maquette, "but he also considers the mechanical to be the ideal, so he's redesigned himself over time. No component of him is off the shelf."

IG-88 from the EU anyone? Anyone?

Also a quick afterthought - if they animated him like a puppet, a la Threepio with no coverings it might be better, imo.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 17th, 2004, 01:25:37 AM
IG-88 was really different he was pure robot which just went nuts. This thing seems something else it is a cyborg if he started out as an Alien I don't know it probably will get explained somewhere. Actually I kind of like him mostly from reading about him in what he does in the Clone Wars Cartoon. Still he will be a very minor character another Boba Fett-Darth Maul interesting side not and not much else. I doubt we will see him for more than 15 minutes.

James Prent
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:11:14 PM
I meant, of course, the similarities in attitude and conduct. Obviously General Grievious is a general in a droid army and is supposedly part organic, and IG-88 is a bounty hunter droid with no organic parts. They both supercede their programming with their actions and both have a complete disdain for the organic. They both upgrade themselves with the latest parts and upgrades.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:12:06 PM
Wahey! I like how this guy looks. Something different from the normal hooded Sith!

darth_mcbain
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:16:46 PM
They just posted a databank entry on the official site for General Grievous It looks pretty sweet - I love the image they have of him under the "Behind The Scenes" tab...

The link to it is http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/generalgrievous/ (link contains character's name - hence spoiler tags)

Figrin D'an
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:58:42 PM
I think the thread is already spoiled, considering that some people haven't covered the name in their posts.

darth_mcbain
Apr 8th, 2004, 08:43:47 AM
Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that - now that he's on the official website, is it no longer a spoiler? I figured better safe with the tags, but you're right - this thread is already pretty well spoiled...

JMK
Apr 8th, 2004, 08:56:44 AM
Well we know that there's a part alien, part droid CGI character named Grievous who happens to resemble a bionicle. That much is officially spoiled here. But that's not a terribly big deal IMO. It's not been said what he's for, or who he's with or what his role is. Those are the real spoilers if you ask me.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 8th, 2004, 10:34:50 AM
Well I covered my spoilers. :o Most of 'em, although I realize it's a bit late. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2004, 11:46:15 AM
Yeah JMK because you know the name means nothing.

Charley
Apr 8th, 2004, 10:41:18 PM
His helmet is quite awesome looking.