PDA

View Full Version : Don't link anyone to that stupid Osama page.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:56:35 PM
THATS RIGHT.
http=://w=w=w.w=gutv.com/osama___capture.ph~p?CK8C
is a virus. SO DON'T GO THERE.

DON'T SEND IT TO ANYONE ELSE.

And, for the love of everyone, stop using Internet Explorer, and only use AIM if you need it for a file transfer or something.

http://gaim.sf.net
http://trillian.cc

If you have clicked it, well, you're in deep.

http://security.kolla.de/
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php go dig yourself out.

Charley
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:05:44 PM
haha somebody sent that to me in AIM today. Jokes on you, I was using express at the time :cool

Darth Viscera
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:07:01 PM
must resist urge to visit site....

Ace McCloud
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:17:14 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
must resist urge to visit site....

Crystal
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:31:12 AM
Does it only work in IE?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:47:03 AM
Yup! Yet another wonderful use of Microsofts heroic technology, Active X! Surely you want to install our POS viewer system, and you want everyone else to install it, too!

You don't? Oh, well we're going to use AIM to send it to all of your friends! Maybe they'll like it more than you did. See? They love me. And you hurt my feelings.

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:01:12 AM
What exactly IS the page?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:40:59 AM
If you don't feel like taking my word, send it to yourself in AIM and open it with IE.

Does it really matter what it is?

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:50:09 AM
Well yeah. If I was to tell someone else about "That Osama page", they wont know. Is there actually a website there, or is it just a pure virus?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:06:50 AM
It is an actual website. But even though I butchered the link up top somewhat to prevent someone from clicking and going on accident, I would hope you would be able to recognize the URL.

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:09:58 AM
right, gotcha thanks.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:48:41 AM
What does the page do?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:13:48 AM
It installs/trys to install malware/spyware that likes to spread itself through AIM.

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:31:48 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=2&u=/nm/20040211/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_dc - Is that it, or the one before?

Shawn
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:52:17 PM
The page looks like this:

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:56:53 PM
So you have to agre to accept the content?

Shawn
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:02:08 PM
I believe so, but I'm not willing to put it to the test. I haven't visited the page myself.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:03:42 PM
I often wonder why people make computer viruses. Then I realize it is because they have nothing better to do than to screw up other people's lives.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:16:39 PM
I clicked the link on accident when someone sent it to me. I usually feel like I can trust the people on my buddylist. However, I did not agree to the little thing, figure out what it was, and ran a virus scan and Spybot.

So does this virus essentially tie up your computer?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:58:13 PM
Exactly.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:00:37 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
I believe so, but I'm not willing to put it to the test. I haven't visited the page myself.

Ditto. No sense in asking for trouble.

Figrin D'an
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:33:47 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
I often wonder why people make computer viruses. Then I realize it is because they have nothing better to do than to screw up other people's lives.

It's a shame, because script kiddies like that give those in the legit hacker community a bad name.

Ace McCloud
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:59:20 PM
thanks for the help, I just signed on aol and someone sent it to me. If you hadn't of made this thread I would be going right now.

Crystal
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:02:03 PM
..Why are people sending other people the links? Don't they realize that "hey! That thing I downloaded didn't show me Osama being captured!"? Do they just go "oh, okay.. well maybe it'll show my friends!"

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:10:23 PM
Actually, it happens automatically. Most of the people I got the link from told me just a few seconds afterwards not to click on the link.

Too bad they were too late. I opened the link in Firebird, not IE. Is that going to affect my computer any? Do I need to delete Firebird and then download it again?

Figrin D'an
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:13:49 PM
as long as you don't have an Active-X plugin installed in Firebird, you should be okay. It would be wise to run a virus scan and remove it if you find it, though.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:30:11 PM
I've never heard of Active-X, so I'm sure I don't. I'll run Norton once I get back to my room.

Darth007
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:14:10 PM
I have it on my computer without even clicking anything because I came online and all of a sudden my friends start IMing me at once saying "okay" or whatever because my screenname had sent out the link and I didn't even know about. Then under my Programs menu there was a program called "buddylink.net" and i deleted the folder once but it came back and i cleaned it out even better so i think its gone for good. It's really annoying

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:31:24 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry

Originally posted by Figrin D'an
It's a shame, because script kiddies like that give those in the legit hacker community a bad name.

Up to 6 months ago, I would have agreed.

However, the big viruses and malware being spread are not made by kids lookign to screw things up or pranking. They are being made with a good deal of polish and by professional programmers. Criminals, spamemrs, advertisers are in on it these days.

I'm finally seeing real viruses and trojans that do real damage and are a real concern, because the writers arent kids. 10 - 15 years ago, you had to know what you were doign to write a viru. Marcos turned it into point and click. But these new ones are proving very, very good and they have a purpose.

There's a version of the spyware Connect The Web which is really well done in the way it steals personal info and installs a keylogger., as well as hijacking your browser.

I'm afraid that if people dont wake up and stop using IE, change their habits online, that there's going to be a point where IT people are going to lose the fight in keeping this stuff in hand and in control.

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:34:56 PM
Just to point out to peeps, it's now a game site also. Someone here got it, no names.

Alpha
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:35:17 PM
Wait...Someone from this board got the site? :)