PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding weaponry...

Corias Bonaventure
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:40:45 PM
I've given this character a sidearm called a Rummel P-16 Special. It's not the gun he's holding in the avatar; the Special's a good bit bulkier--about the size of a 44 magnum. I'd like to know if it's feasible.

It's a blaster and rail pistol in one--it has two barrels and two firing mechanisms. A bolt magazine fits into the handgrip to feed the rail system--the lower barrel--and a power pack plugs into the top to feed the blaster--the upper barrel.

A switch toggles between the two functions; I'd have to imagine they can't both fire at once.

My main concern is whether the magnetic field of the railgun would interfere with the blaster mechanism. As far as I know, it wouldn't be active except when the railgun is actually firing.

Also, how many rounds are in a standard rail pistol magazine? Is it comparable to a modern-day pistol, or are the rounds smaller?

Charley
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:48:58 PM
Its feasable, but cumbersome. It would be akin to a Confederate grapeshot revolver.

Rail rounds are small, but the accelerator isn't

Morgan Evanar
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:06:42 PM
Originally posted by Corias BonaventureAlso, how many rounds are in a standard rail pistol magazine? Is it comparable to a modern-day pistol, or are the rounds smaller? A good deal smaller, since there is no powder. Due to the power source and accellerators, rail guns are equally heavy compared to the same powder weapon. You do get quite a few more shots, though.

Corias Bonaventure
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:31:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Hmm, looked up some information on the grapeshot revolver. Interesting.

That's pretty close to the size I was thinking, anyway. I'm afraid I don't know much about the components of either blasters or railguns. I'm guessing the barrel of a rail pistol would need to be bulkier than that of a conventional pistol barrel to accommodate the magnetic rails. I don't know if I might be able to find a diagram online to help...

Anyway, I sketched up a design for the gun, and, as soon as I can get it scanned, I'll attach it to this post.