PDA

View Full Version : banned superbowl commercial?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:47:41 PM
apparently this was banned from airing with the rest of the superbowl commercials - i just saw it a few minutes ago and was wondering if anyone else has seen it?

if so, i dont understand the big stink of why it was banned. i mean, im fairly certain i understand the message - i may have gone to art school but im not that shallow :p i honestly dont think its that bad, but thats just me *shrug*

http://www.moveon.org/cbs/ad/

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:53:33 PM
I'd seen that, and most of the "Bush in 30 Seconds" entries before. I can understand why they banned it. It is pretty bad :lol

JMK
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:56:33 PM
If CBS is a big fan of Bush I see why they banned it. But I don't think the content itself was that bad. It was poignant, but I've seen worse.

ReaperFett
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:01:09 PM
They are apolitical with Superbowl commercials, official line. But don't let that stop the people who made the ads! Oh no, it's a conspiracy! The Bush Whitehouse (No longer the whitehouse apparently) got an advert! Unfair!

...Except the whitehouse ad was anti-drugs. Dust that fact under the carpet though, unfair!

And as an aside, Clinton had a Superbowl ad back in 98 (IIRC). CBS, biased to Democrats and Republicans :)

Charley
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:20:12 PM
Its a monumentally stupid move to push politics onto Superbowl time slots, thats why. Some insano PETA commercial got the boot for the same reason.

Alienating a massive chunk of viewers isn't a great idea.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:54:19 PM
that would make sense then.

from an artistic standpoint, and after going to college at a school that also happened to have a video production course though, i tend to look at everything from an almost purely artistic standpoint before anything else comes into play. that being said, i thought the music fit it well, i like the was it was filmed and the seemingly muted color pallate used. those are the things i look at before everything else. even if i dont agree with the commercials message, i can appreciate the artistic values of such a thing - and that applies to this commercial.

does it make me mad? not really. everyone ends up paying for something, whether it be monetarily-wise or something entirely different. i know people have paid for mistakes financially that ive made, not excluding myself, so i have no ill-will towards this sort of subject matter. im pretty laid back when it comes to that.

on a side note, there were a few superbowl commercials i remember a student doing while i was still in college that were absolutely wonderful. i dont think they actually got used, but imo they should have. the ones i remember:

1:
a father and his daughter sitting at the kitchen table, the daughter eating breakfast and the dad reading about the upcoming superbowl in the morning paper.

daughter: mommy says that sparky left to go live at the big ranch in heaven, daddy.

dad: (laughs while hes reading) who sparky? naw, hes buried out back.

at which point a diagram of the male brain appears, showing football at 99% and parenting skills at 1%

2:
a guy cooking a turkey dinner for his wife while watching a a football game. hes so engrossed in the game that he takes the turkey into the laundrey room and puts it in the dryer, turning it on and then leaving to go watch the game agan.

another diagram pops up, showing football at 98% and cooking skills at 2%

those were some of my favorites :)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:53:34 PM
Do you want to ride with batman?

ReaperFett
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:54:36 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Do you want to ride with batman?

Best commercial ever :D