PDA

View Full Version : I hope I did the right thing...

Neyasha
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:22:57 AM
Today I got up at 5:30am to be at work for 6:00am, which is normal since I stock shelves at Zellers in the early morning. I get there at 5:55am and the doors are still locked. That's not too uncommon. 7:00am comes around and STILL nobody has come to open the doors to let me and the other 8 members of the stock crew that has been there since before 6:00am in! So at 7:30 when nobody has shown up to let us in out of the 2 degree above freezing cold, I let a note with the people that were staying informing people that I was there but left after an hour and a half of waiting and that I still expect to be payed for the hour and a half that I was there.

So, do people think I did the right thing, or should I have stayed to work the 2.5 hours left in my stupid $8.41 per hour job?

Shawn
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:31:10 AM
Any halfway decent job will pay you for your time. It's happened to me before. And yeah, they're not really paying you enough to be standing around and getting frostbite.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:47:27 AM
If Zellers is an 'uptight' company, then the smart thing to do would have been to stay.

If theyre more relaxed and willing to work with you, then I prolly would have left, too.

Are you the only one who left?

Neyasha
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:02:10 PM
No. I was not the only person that left. Two people left with me, and one person left at 6:30am. They are not really uptight, but the manager will tend to be rather vocal with you if you are 5 min late.

Rognan Dar
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:40:38 PM
I wouldn't say that its a big deal. If someone else forgot to let people in, then its their fault, not yours, that you were unable to work. After a hour and a half standing in the cold, most likely not being able to feel much, I would have left.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:26:23 AM
I don't care if you did the 'right' thing or not, but in my mind you did the smart thing. Unless they wanted to up my pay I would've left after 20 minutes.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:01:27 AM
Yeah, for real. It's not your fault you couldn't work. If they want to get on to you for not sticking around, they're just plain stupid. I would have left, too. Next time, maybe they'll do better about letting you guys in.