PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article in New York Times...

Figrin D'an
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:44:33 AM
... about the evolving relationship between tech geeks and the unsavvy. It sums things up pretty well.

I do my best to be patient with computer n00bs and help people out, but like many, my patience wears thin with certain people (no, it's no one around here... I'm speaking solely about friends/family that I help out). I encounter and handle a lot of very legitimate problems and questions, but there are some that frustrate me with their total ignorance that I become tempted to just unplug and confiscate their machines until they can prove to me that they can handle using one.

Anyway... here's the article. It's a good read, no matter what side of the isle you sit on.

Geeks Put The Unsavvy on Alert: Learn or Log Off

When Scott Granneman, a technology instructor, heard that one of his former students had clicked on a strange e-mail attachment and infected her computer with the MyDoom Internet virus last week, empathy did not figure anywhere in his immediate response.

"You actually got infected by the virus?" he wrote in an e-mail message to the former student, Robin Woltman, a university grant administrator. "You, Robin? For shame!"

As MyDoom, the fastest-spreading virus ever, continues to clog e-mail in-boxes and disrupt business, the computer-savvy are becoming openly hostile toward the not-so-savvy who unwittingly play into the hands of virus writers.

The tension over the MyDoom virus underscores a growing friction between technophiles and what they see as a breed of technophobes who want to enjoy the benefits of digital technology without making the effort to use it responsibly.

The virus spreads when Internet users ignore a basic rule of Internet life: never click on an unknown e-mail attachment. Once someone does, MyDoom begins to send itself to the names in that person's e-mail address book. If no one opened the attachment, the virus's destructive power would never be unleashed.

"It takes affirmative action on the part of the clueless user to become infected," wrote Scott Bowling, president of the World Wide Web Artists Consortium, expressing frustration on the group's discussion forum. "How to beat this into these people's heads?"

Many of the million or so people who have so far infected their computers with MyDoom say it is not their fault. The virus often comes in a message that appears to be from someone they know, with an innocuous subject line like "test" or "error." It is human nature, they say, to open the mail and attachments.

But computer sophisticates say it reflects a willful ignorance of basic computer skills that goes well beyond virus etiquette. At a time when more than two-thirds of American adults use the Internet, they say, such carelessness is no longer excusable, particularly when it messes things up for everyone else.

For years, many self-described computer geeks seemed eager to usher outsiders onto their electronic frontier. Everyone, it seemed, had a friend or family member in the geek elite who could be summoned — often frequently — in times of computer crisis.

But as those same friends and family members are called upon again and again to save the computer incompetents from themselves, the geeks' patience is growing thin. As it does, a new kind of digital divide is opening up between populations of computer users who must coexist in the same digital world.

"Viruses are just the tip of the iceberg," said Bill Melcher, who runs his own technical support business in San Francisco. "When it comes to computers, a lot of intelligent people and fast learners just decide that they don't know."

Many of the computationally confused say they suffer from genuine intimidation and even panic over how to handle the mysterious machines they have come to rely on for so much of daily life. Virus writers, spammers and scammers, they say, are the ones who should be held accountable for the chaos they cause.

But as the same people equip themselves with fancy computers and take advantage of the Internet for things like shopping and banking, critics say that their perpetual state of confusion has begun to get tiresome. And while the Internet's traditional villains remain elusive, those inadvertently helping them tend to be friends and neighbors.

Some in the technocamp imagine requiring a license to operate a computer, just like the one required to drive a car. Others are calling for a punishment that fits a careless crime. People who click on virus attachments, for instance, could be cut off by their Internet service providers until they proved that their machines had been disinfected.

And some, tired of being treated like free help lines, are beginning to rebel. They are telling friends, relatives and random acquaintances to figure it out on their own.

"Go out, get a book," suggests Zack Rubenstein, 28, who has for years provided free technical support for his extended social network. "You went to college and you got a degree, you obviously can learn something. Play around with it; it's not going to kill you."

Mr. Rubenstein, a member of the technical support staff at a New York City law school he thought it best not to identify, is not at liberty to dispense such advice at work. Instead, he answers endless calls about malfunctioning monitors that turn out not to be plugged in, and broken printers that start working again as soon as he removes the single piece of paper obviously jamming them.

"Especially dealing with academics," Mr. Rubenstein added, "you'd think they'd have some ability to deduce or think problems through for a minute."

Not so long ago, he took pleasure in showing people around the brave new digital world that he moved in with such ease. Now that everyone has a technical question, he says, being a tour guide has lost its charm.

But his girlfriend, Miriam Tauber, 24, makes no apologies for her lack of computer knowledge. To her, computers are like "moody people" who behave illogically. If people like Mr. Rubenstein expect her to understand them, she suggests, perhaps they should learn to speak in a language she can understand, rather than ridiculous acronyms and suffixes.

"There are these MP3's and PDF's and a million other things that you don't even know what they are," Ms. Tauber said. "I don't feel like I need to figure out computers, because my instinct is there's just no way."

Still, if there is any evidence that the antagonism of the technical elite is having an effect, it may be in the mounting degree of shame among those who make obvious mistakes, or ask obvious questions too often.

When Julie Dillon, 33, had trouble installing a wireless card in her Macintosh laptop last weekend, for instance, she stopped herself from calling a friend three blocks away who works for Apple Computer because she knows he is besieged.

"There's this whole complicated interchange — are you calling them as a friend or are you calling them as tech support — and I definitely feel a little bit guilty," said Ms. Dillon, a musician in San Francisco. "It's a fine line that has changed because I remember a few years ago it was no big deal."

Instead, Ms. Dillon called Mr. Melcher, who has built his technical support business in part on referrals from friends who no longer wanted to handle the demands of other friends.

Ms. Dillon, who considers her laptop "a blessing" that helps her promote her music, said she was happy to pay for the help. She has also frequently received technical support in exchange for dinner, and, once, for a song.

Even parents are being left to fend for themselves as their children tire of dispensing advice.

David Hale, 25, a lawyer in St. Louis, said he had rebuilt his parents' virus-ridden computer from scratch several times in recent months before he learned that his father, Dale, was replying to every piece of his spam e-mail, asking to be taken off the spammers' mailing lists. Dale Hale, 47, also frequently clicked on pop-up ads that appeared to be messages from Microsoft telling him to upgrade his computer.

"It would cause fights between my parents because they would argue about whether a particular one was legitimate and I'm like, `It is NEVER legitimate,' " said Mr. Hale, who explained as patiently as he could that answering spam and clicking on pop-ups only invite more of the same.

After that, Dale Hale said, his son would sometimes become frustrated by his and his wife's questions. They in turn would get frustrated with their son's instructions, especially over the phone. Eventually they bought antivirus software.

"We've learned by the lumps and bumps," the father said.

(People who had installed the major antivirus software programs from companies like McAfee were largely protected from the MyDoom virus after downloading updates available a few hours after the virus's appearance on Jan. 26.)

Perhaps the one thing that technophobes and technophiles can agree on is that software companies like Microsoft should make things easier and more secure for all kinds of computer users. But Microsoft, whose Web site has so far withstood a continuing attack by the MyDoom virus, had a reminder for users, too.

"Responsibility is shared," said Scott Charney, Microsoft's chief security strategist. "With some of these viruses that require user action, people have a responsibility to be careful and protect themselves."

Source: New York Times

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:51:57 AM
Maybe if so many of the geeks weren't up their own backside arrogrant elitist snobs, the non-geeks would listen more :)

Darth Viscera
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:54:53 AM
Maybe if the non-geeks would listen more, so many of the geeks wouldn't be up their own backside arrogant elitist snobs :)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:03:25 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Maybe if so many of the geeks weren't up their own backside arrogrant elitist snobs, the non-geeks would listen more :) I really loathe you.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:34:52 AM
Morgan, I love you. Now, I'll say that your response wasnt nice at all.

As for the article, it was very good and I can see both sides of the arguement. My biggest fear - which was deeply installed in me by my husband threatning me not to screw up his pc (this one is mine!) - is just that...Im worried about royally messing up the comp.

The other problem I have is the lingo used. I havent a clue as to what most of it means. Surely there has to be some way to break it down a bit - a halfway point that would make it less frustrating for both sides.

Darth Viscera
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:40:39 AM
just convert your standard english to hexadecimal form and bang! you have intarweb lingo

Figrin D'an
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:01:45 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
As for the article, it was very good and I can see both sides of the arguement. My biggest fear - which was deeply installed in me by my husband threatning me not to screw up his pc (this one is mine!) - is just that...Im worried about royally messing up the comp.

That's a legitimate concern. And rather than threaten you over it, he should have taken the time to instruct you in some basics.

I'm generally a very patient person when it comes to teaching others. I only become annoyed when those I'm teaching manage to ignore what I say, or do something completely contrary to it.

The MyDoom virus has just been the last straw for some tech-geeks, and I can certainly understand why. All one has to do to avoid it is follow one of the cardinal rules of Internet use: Don't open unexpected or unfamiliar email attachments. But some people still don't get it. It's the same thing with many of the banking scams going around. Another cardinal rule is: Don't give out your personal information to any unverified source. Yet there are those who get fooled by them more than once.

Too many do whatever they want, and expect the tech-geeks to fix everything when something goes wrong, while ignoring the simple fact that a computer is a complex tool that you have to learn how to use safely. If you don't learn, you're likely to repeat the same mistakes. This is how the teck-geeks get frustrated and angry.

Screwing up using a comp is forgivable. Everyone does it. Screwing up the same thing repeatedly, and being ignorant to the recommendations and rules that can keep you a safe and happy computer user? That's just plain stupidity.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:09:57 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I really loathe you.
I know.

Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
My biggest fear - which was deeply installed in me by my husband threatning me not to screw up his pc (this one is mine!) - is just that...Im worried about royally messing up the comp.
I never told my sister how to check e-mails on this comp to make sure she used the other one, because she opens any e-mails she gets because she doesn't remember her friends e-mail. I only do it because I know if anything went wrong she'd blame me :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:17:37 PM
Maybe if so many of the geeks weren't up their own backside arrogrant elitist snobs, the non-geeks would listen more :)

Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Maybe if the non-geeks would listen more, so many of the geeks wouldn't be up their own backside arrogant elitist snobs :)

That is why we need Eddie Van Halen!

But how are we going to get Eddie Van Halen if we don't even know how to play?

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:20:07 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
That is why we need Eddie Van Halen!

But how are we going to get Eddie Van Halen if we don't even know how to play?
Yeah, I do realise it is very much circular logic :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:43:52 PM
I'm not a computer geek who can rebuild computers from scratch or anything like that, but I get frustrated with the other managers here at work who are completely computer illiterate.

The best part is when my supervisor tries to explain something to me that I've known how to do for four years. >_<

Pierce Tondry
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:55:32 PM
Cars and computers are very much alike in complexity and required technical knowledge.

I pretty much consider myself the ultimate type of end-user for both machines. Put me in the driver's seat and I'll have the entire gauge and knob system figured out in a few minutes. Give me a day and I'll be driving it like it's my own. Ask me to change a tire after I pop a curb, and it's no problem. I can even instruct people in the things I myself am familiar with.

Tell me I have a cracked case that's letting water in and I'm likely to go "Sooo.... why's that bad, and how exactly do you fix one of those, again?"

Ironically, I often welcome non-standard screw-ups because it gives me a chance to learn how to correct the problem.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:31:57 PM
I really need to find someone who can come to my house, sit down beside me and teach me this stuff. In the past I have been to a couple of sites that tries to teach html, etc and some of the wording was so technical that I couldnt even get through the introduction.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:22:01 PM
My standard response these days to non-geeks -

"Shut up for pay me to fix it"

I'm paid to care. If silver doesnt cross my palm, then the end user can go be stupid. And if silver does cross my palm, I'll fix anything and not care how it happened. Although, I will educate the user in nice, simple, understandable terms that even morons can understand.

And if they dont "get it" and do something stupid again?

Cross my palm with money, thanks. I'll fix it for you. With a smile. Dumb users still pay well. Even weekends, I dont mind. As long as I get paid ^_^

Oh right. This coming from the semi geek who point blank refused, even with well written non snob words, to change from IE, and still spruked for IE when the evidence and the either forum, geek and non geek is agaisnt him.

-_-

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:32:29 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar

Oh right. This coming from the semi geek who point blank refused, even with well written non snob words, to change from IE, and still spruked for IE when the evidence and the either forum, geek and non geek is agaisnt him.

I don't stick up for IE these days. I just use it :)

The other day, I did ask for other browser advice. I think.

Crystal
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:44:22 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I'm not a computer geek who can rebuild computers from scratch or anything like that, but I get frustrated with the other managers here at work who are completely computer illiterate.

The best part is when my supervisor tries to explain something to me that I've known how to do for four years. >_<

I'm the same way.. I can't teach people how to do things, I end up just wanting to smack them because they aren't picking it up as fast as I think they should.

Figrin D'an
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:56:29 PM
Here's some humor, in a similar mold to the original topic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE TOUGHEST DECISION:
SHOULD MY LOVED ONE BE PLACED IN AN ASSISTED COMPUTING FACILITY?

For family members, it is often the most difficult and painful decision they will face: to accept that a loved one - a parent, a spouse, perhaps a sibling - is technologically impaired and should no longer be allowed to live independently, or come near a computer or electronic device without direct supervision. The time has come to place that loved one into the care of an assisted Computing Facility. But you have questions, so many questions. We at Silicon Pines want to help.

WHAT EXACTLY IS AN "ASSISTED COMPUTING FACILITY"?

Sometimes referred to as "Homes for the Technologically Infirm," "Technical Invalid Care Centers," or "Homes for the Technically Challenged," Assisted Computing Facilities (ACFs) are modeled on assisted living facilities, and provide a safe, structured residential environment for those unable to handle even the most common, everyday multitasks. Most fully accredited ACFs, like Silicon Pines, are an oasis of hope and encouragement that allow residents to lead productive, technologically relevant lives without the fear and anxiety associated with actually having to understand or execute the technologies themselves.

WHO SHOULD BE IN AN ACF?

Sadly, technology is advancing at such a dramatic rate that many millions, of all ages, will never truly be able to understand it, putting an undue burden on those friends and family members who must explain it to them. But unless the loved one is suffering from a truly debilitating affliction, such as Reinstallzheimers, the decision to commit is entirely personal.

You must ask yourself:

"How frustrated am I that my parent/sibling/spouse is unable to open an email attachment?"

"How much of my time should be taken up explaining how RAM is different from hard drive memory?"

"How many times can I bear to hear my dad say, 'Hey, can I replace the motherboard with a fatherboard? Ha ha ha!'"

To make things easier, we have prepared a list of Warning Signs which we encourage you to return to often, or, if you can't figure out how to bookmark it, print out. Also, please take a moment to read "I'm Glad I'm in Here! - A Resident's Story."

MUST IT BE FAMILY, OR CAN I PLACE ANYONE IN AN ACF?

Several corporations have sought permission to have certain employees, or at times entire sales departments, committed to ACFs. At present, however, individuals can be committed only by direct family or self-internment. The reason is simple: there are not nearly enough ACFs in the world to accommodate all the technologically challenged. For example, there are currently only 860,000 beds available in ACFs, but there are 29 million AOL users.

HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?

ACF rents range from free up to $12,500 per month. The disparity is currently a point of contention in the ACF industry. Many residents are covered through government programs such as Compucaid or Compucare, but reimbursement rates are low and only cover a portion of the fees. Exacerbating the situation are the HMOs (HelpDesk Maintenance Organizations), which often deny coverage, forcing residents to pay out of pocket or turn to expensive private techcare insurers such as BlueCache/BlueScreen. Offsetting the costs are technology companies themselves, many of which subsidize ACFs. Firms such as Microsoft, Dell, Qualcomm, and America Online will pay up to 100 percent of a resident's monthly bill, but there is a catch. ISPs, for instance, require residents to sign service contracts lasting a year or more. Microsoft, meanwhile, prohibits the installation of any competitive software, while Priceline requires that residents buy shares of its stock, which seems onerous but saves residents on lavatory tissue.

HOW OLD MUST I BE TO HAVE SOMEONE COMMITTED?

Until very recently, you had to be 18 or older to legally commit a family member. However, the now famous British court case Frazier vs. Frazier and Frazier has cleared the way for minors to commit their parents. In that case, 15-year-old Bradley Frazier of Leicester had his 37-year-old parents committed to an ACF in Bournemouth after a judge ruled Ian and Janet Frazier were a "danger to themselves and the community." According to court records, Bradley told his parents about the I LoveYou virus and warned them not to click attachments. The next day his parents received an I LoveYou email and clicked on the attachment because, they explained, "it came from someone we know."

WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN AN ACF?

First, make sure it's a genuine assisted Computing Facility, and not an assisted Living Facility. To tell the difference, observe the residents. If they look rather old and tend to openly discuss bowel movements, this is probably 'assisted living.' On the other hand, if they vary in age and say things like, "I'm supposed to figure that out? I'm not Bill Gates you know!," this is probably 'assisted computing.' Also, at a well-run ACF, residents should lead full, independent lives, and should be allowed the use of many technology devices, including telephones, electric toothbrushes, and alarm clocks. However, only a facility's Licensed Techcare Professionals (LTPs) should perform computational or technological tasks such as installing programs or saving email attachments. And LTPs should NEVER answer residents' questions because studies have shown that answering user questions inevitably makes things worse. Instead, residents should simply have things done for them, relieving them of the pressure to "learn" or "improve."

CAN A RESIDENT EVER GET OUT?

No.

OK, THIS SOUNDS PROMISING. HOW CAN I LEARN MORE?

For your enlightenment, we offer extensive information on Silicon Pines and the ACF lifestyle, which can be found by clicking one of the links in the navigation bars found at both the top and bottom of this page. But whatever you decide, keep in mind that due to demand, ACFs now have long waiting lists. WebTV users alone will take years to absorb.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:15:14 PM
CAN A RESIDENT EVER GET OUT?

No

No light at the end of the tunnel?? :cry

lmao!! This was great, Fig!! :lol