PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day for the NFL

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:34:34 PM
Maurice Claritte or (going to get killed in the NFL) won his suit for the NFL Draft. I hope he doesnt' get drafted the owners should not draft them just because of this rulling. Still I read this which shows that Agents are the lowest scum on the earth. I have more respect for Cockroaches than them

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1728315

It is despicable what they will do they will try to sell it to these 18-19 Year old kids and most of them will never make it into the NFL it is just horrible. I still don't understand why the courts ruiled this way. The NFL is a private buisness to me they can exlude anybody they want.

Charley
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:37:11 PM
I'm hoping for a double ACL blowout in his first game.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:52:03 PM
LOL I am just hoping for a bust maybe getting drafted in the 3rd or 4th round then getting cut before the season begins. That be great because in the NFL unlike the NBA he isn't guarenteed a dime.

Doc Milo
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:51:38 PM
The NFL is a private buisness to me they can exlude anybody they want.

I don't know about this issue to make a comment, but this one sentence did raise red flags.

Are you saying that if I own a private business I can exclude anyone I want? Or include anyone I want? For example, can I say, "Gays are excluded from working for me." Or can I say, "Only blonde, big-breasted women can work for me?"

Jackson DeWitt
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:53:43 PM
Originally posted by Doc Milo
I don't know about this issue to make a comment, but this one sentence did raise red flags.

Are you saying that if I own a private business I can exclude anyone I want? Or include anyone I want? For example, can I say, "Gays are excluded from working for me." Or can I say, "Only blonde, big-breasted women can work for me?"

If it affects job performance, you'd better believe it.

Doc Milo
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:59:45 PM
Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just commenting: The EEOC might think differently.

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2004, 11:50:40 PM
It's not even a guarentee that Clarett is going to go pro. He may end up going back to Ohio State for another year.

The NFL will appeal the ruling, and they will probably have a decent chance to get it overturned. It won't help for this season's draft, but it may put an end to issue if they win the appeal.

Honestly... I don't think this is going to have the affect some seem to think it will. The NFL is a different animal from the NBA, or even MLB. One or two may be foolish enough to try to jump to the NFL from high school, but most won't. They know they'll get destroyed. It'll take just one kid to get broken in half to make everyone shy away from the idea. Sucks for whomever that kid may be, but sometimes an example is the best discouragement.

If he does enter the Draft this year, Clarett will probably be a second or third round pick. If he goes back to Ohio State and has a good season, he'll be a first round pick next year. That means more guaranteed money.

Ryan Pode
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:14:10 AM
Oy. That is stupid. I hope Clarett gets slaughtered.

jjwr
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:20:44 AM
I can't see how many 18/19yr olds would think they would have a chance in the NFL. Rarely do you see a standout rookie, usually one or two a year, the rest it takes a few years before they contribute.

Between not being ready physically and the mental demands of the game. Going from a high school system to the NFL will be a huge culture shock and they could easily get lost, even if they have the physical skills necessary.

If Clarett goes out this year I can't see him doing well, late round pick if he's lucky.

The NBA really should look at this rule as well, the game isn't nearly as good as it was and the influx of young players doesn't help. A few are standouts but most sit on the bench for a few years developing, something they could have done in a major college program.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:05:57 PM
Well they shouldn't think they have a chance, but Agents will convice them. The slimeballs that they are will talk some kids into it and they will be hurt. Really its the kids that get talked into that will be hurt. The NFL will not become like the NBA because its a different game. Also about my statements what I said I believe that the NFL has the right to keep people out because of age because its the best of the game. Too bad they don't have an anti-trust exemption like MLB that would stop this problem right there. Now I don't think Private buisnesses in general have the right to keep anybody out, companies did this to blacks and others back in the 60's and that wasn't was right. I think I just said that statement wrong.

Ryan Pode
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:38:08 PM
Heck, I hope the first under 21er who gets drafted gets broken to peices. So then, the NFL can be just like Amusement Parks and say you must be this tall to ride, but in their case, this old to play.