2 Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
PIONEER Black DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model DVR-106BK
Logitech THX Certified Z-680 5.1 Speaker 500Watt
ViewSonic E90FB 19" PerfectFlat CRT Monitor
Microsoft Black Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel Mouse Optical Bundle PS2 102keys
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

This is what the tower (http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-144-026-16.JPG/11-144-026-15.JPG/11-144-026-17.JPG/11-144-026-11.JPG/11-144-026-04.JPG/11-144-026-08.JPG/11-144-026-05.JPG/11-144-026-03.JPG/11-144-026-06.JPG/11-144-026-07.JPG) looks like.

I will also be adding a purple neon wire around the window on the inside. Also need to get a good quality webcam.

On the other side (non-windowed side) I will be putting a pic of the Night Elf (http://www.sw-fans.net/photopost/data/2/11903-copy.jpg) boxart from WC3 (what can I say, I like the art).

Kudos to Morg for helping me find these awesome parts and my husband (Joe) for putting the whole thing together.

Short story on when the comp was being put together by Joe and his bro (with me watching from the sidelines):

2/2-2/3: Basically all the parts had been assembled together and the comp was ready to have it's power button pushed, but when it was pushed, the lights flickered on momentarily, the fans twitched, and then the whole thing died.

WTF we all thought.

So we started taking things out and trying different combos of things plugged in and unplugged to see what the prob was. Joe's bro had even had a volt meter with him to see what was getting power and what wasn't. First we thought it was the PSU... but nope, that was fine. Then we checked the CPU... that was fine too. We figured maybe it was a bad motherboard or something, and were concluding I may have to exchange it.

2/4: Then, from some God-given genious, Joe decided there was one more thing he wanted to test. After work, he went home and gutted the whole tower out and assembled the thing outside of the comp. It worked!

So, WTF??

He turned it off, and screwed one screw in, attaching the motherboard with the other components to the tower's inside wall. Turn it on, and it works. Turn it off, and do another screw. Turn it on and it works. He did this up until the last screw. He screwed in the last one and turned it on... no power. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird. Unscrew the screw and it worked!

Needless to say, that screw in that particular spot was putting enough preasure on the motherboard to make it not work (a short maybe? we're not sure).

But now it's working, the last screw has been placed somewhere else, and in place of that small hole is a verry long tie-tie holding the upper corner of the motherboard in place, without disturbing any power.

And they lived happily ever after.

So the moral of this story is ANYTHING, down to the smallest screw, can make a computer not work. You just have to find the problem and fix it.

The End.

I will take pics of my comp once it's completely complete. It's still missing a few things like purple neon wire and piccy. But I've already pinpointed those and am ordering em in as we speak. :D

Ace McCloud
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:13:42 PM
mmmmmmm

I don't like AMD's much though. They over heat once and a while, especailly if you like to overclock. Btw, if it comes with an extra radeon, be sure to send it my way =)

AmazonBabe
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:20:58 PM
Yes, I would have prefered a Pentium, but both Morg and Joe were pushing the Athlon on me, so I caved. *shrugs*

And I'm not planning on doing any overclocking. It's pretty darn fast as it is. Overclocking would be overkill. :lol

As for an extra Radeon... didn't see any in the box...

Droo
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:23:45 PM
I prefer AMD personally. I have a Corsair 512MB 2700 but your twin 512MB 3200s make me drooool!

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:36:36 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
mmmmmmm

I don't like AMD's much though. They over heat once and a while, especailly if you like to overclock. Btw, if it comes with an extra radeon, be sure to send it my way =)

They only overheat when you don't have proper cooling, just as with any CPU.

Originally posted by AmazonBabe
Needless to say, that screw in that particular spot was putting enough preasure on the motherboard to make it not work (a short maybe? we're not sure).

Depends upon the specific screw hole. If it wasn't lined properly, it could have potentially disrupted current flow. It's not necessary to use every screw hole to secure the mobo anyway. It just needs to be snug and stable, so it doesn't move around.

Trust me, Rie. That processor will toast all but the top most P4s, and compete very well with just about anything on the market. Same with your AGP card

Veelin Tossek
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:39:57 PM
yours is better than mine ^_^;

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Abit NF7-S nforce2 mobo
(2) 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
PIONEER DVD-RW Drive, Model DVR-105
RCA 5.1 Speaker 650Watt Dolby 5.1/DTS/Pro Logic II
ViewSonic A75f 17" PerfectFlat CRT Monitor
Microsoft Internet Keyboard & Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition

Ace McCloud
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:50:04 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
They only overheat when you don't have proper cooling, just as with any CPU.

You're probably right there, I haven't had one. But I know the past ones haven't been that great, like when I was going to buy one. No doubt they are better now. I have a P4 2750. I don't see much point in going any higher than that. But hers smokes mine, obvisioly.

Jared Mriad
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:55:38 PM
That is one awesome-kickin'<smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> case.

AmazonBabe
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:58:46 PM
The next step is to figure out exactly where the thermometer goes for the temperature gauge on the tower. We figured placing it between the CPU and heatsink would give the temp, but the gauge reads at -4 degrees. :lol

So I gotta figure out where that baby's supposed to go.

Alpha
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:01:50 PM
Very sexy comp...:)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:15:37 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
You're probably right there, I haven't had one. But I know the past ones haven't been that great, like when I was going to buy one. No doubt they are better now. I have a P4 2750. I don't see much point in going any higher than that. But hers smokes mine, obvisioly. The older athlons didn't have any sort of thermal protection. Since the Athlon XP came out, depending on mainboard support, the system would shut itself down. Mine will shut itself down. The Athlon 64s have thermal throttling like the P4, I think.

Ace McCloud
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:30:51 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
The older athlons didn't have any sort of thermal protection. Since the Athlon XP came out, depending on mainboard support, the system would shut itself down. Mine will shut itself down. The Athlon 64s have thermal throttling like the P4, I think.

Yea, I was close. Thanks.

Alpha
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:53:27 PM
Slightly stupid question...what's thermal throttling?

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:57:24 PM
I actually am thinking about a new heat sink and fan for my CPU. I'm not all that happy with the cooling I'm getting at the moment. I kind of like the Volcano 11/12. It's overkill, but it'll be sure to work well.

And it's not quite as gaudy as those crazy Aero and Jet ones from Coolermaster.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:46:53 PM
So long as you're able to afford it, cool.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:50:41 PM
Originally posted by Alpha
Slightly stupid question...what's thermal throttling? Thats not a stupid question at all. Its when a chip turns down its speed to remain within the safe operating temperature. P4s throttle down from say.... 2800 to 400. The chip could pretty much run safely at 400 without a heatsink.

AmazonBabe
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:55:24 PM
Originally posted by Cirrsseeto Raurrssatta
So long as you're able to afford it, cool.

The whole shibang only cost me about $1900. That doesn't put a dent into my yearly income, let alone Joe's and mine combined. So I'm cool. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:54:29 AM
http://sw-fans.net/photopost/data/501/58Drooling_anim.gif

Morgan Evanar
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:05:35 AM
Originally posted by Cirrsseeto Raurrssatta
So long as you're able to afford it, cool. I tried to talk her into something more reasonable but she wouldn't hear it.

AmazonBabe
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:49:52 AM
What? You thought I would listen? :p :D

Originally posted by ReaperFett
http://sw-fans.net/photopost/data/501/58Drooling_anim.gif

:lol Ah, the memories. :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:05:21 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I tried to talk her into something more reasonable but she wouldn't hear it.

She bought an automatic Camaro, dude.

AmazonBabe
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:26:35 PM
Camaro Z28. Not the plain vanella version, mind you. :D

(And to think I barely ever go clothes shopping... there must be something wrong with me :lol )

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:49:58 PM
Camaro Z28. Not the plain vanella version, mind you. :D

(And to think I barely ever go clothes shopping... there must be something wrong with me :lol )

You bought a Camaro and a high-end computer. You can't go clothes shopping :mneh

AmazonBabe
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:56:43 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaactually, I could. But ther's nothing I ant or need right now. :)

(Though I guess more lengerie never hurts. :mneh)

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:00:38 PM

(Though I guess more lengerie never hurts. :mneh)
Depends on your tastes? :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:11:53 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Depends on your tastes? :)

Her tastes are good enough. (Even though its lingerie)

Lady Vader
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:19:15 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Her tastes are good enough. (Even though its lingerie)

*Huggles him* ^_^

:lol I just realized... this thread has gone from kick-butt computers, to sports cars, to lingerie... what more could you ask for? :lol

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:36:24 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
this thread has gone from kick-butt computers, to sports cars, to lingerie... what more could you ask for? :lol
http://sw-fans.net/photopost/data/504/58GIR.gif
Now it has it all :D

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:11:26 PM
Nah, that PC aint that hot. Not compared to two machines gone out from my bench and the one I'm using :D

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:16:10 PM
What do you use them all for?

AmazonBabe
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:14:10 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Nah, that PC aint that hot. Not compared to two machines gone out from my bench and the one I'm using :D

You're just jealous. :p

Darth Viscera
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:39:35 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
*Huggles him* ^_^

:lol I just realized... this thread has gone from kick-butt computers, to sports cars, to lingerie... what more could you ask for? :lol

del taco and pics of the lingerie in question

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:55:51 PM
You're just jealous. :p

Believe me, with a AMD 3200+, SATA drives (multiple) and access to upgrades at prices that would defy belief...... nah, these days I can win the drool stakes if I wanted to. My PC and the ones I'm building and selling rock something fierce.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:31:44 PM
:(

Wow, your computer could eat mine for breakfast :)

AMD XP 2500+ Barton Core
512mb PC3200 (some weird brand, but it's nice quality)
nForce (forgot which one, i build this one over the summer)
80gig ATA133 7,200 RPM Maxtor (I think... can't remember)
5600 GeForce FX (I had limited $$)
Audigy 2 Platnum
Altec lansing ADA 305's (I love these speakers, had 'em for a couple years now)
Platronic gaming headset
ViewSonic 19" UltraBrite A90f+

It does what I need it to do :) (Games, graphics, and programming)

Shawn
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:28:52 PM
I pretty much don't post my computer stats anymore. I can still run anything that's coded worth a snot at the max settings, and it does everything I need it to do plenty fast. I haven't upgraded in over a year because there really isn't an upgrade that would in any way justify the cash, for me.

Instead of making small, periodic upgrades, I prefer to wait a few years and then throw money at my PC.Heck, I've only purchased 4 videocards in my entire life, including my current one.

For my next upgrade, I'll probably wait until the R400 or R450 drop $100 from their launch price and nab one.

Figrin D'an
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:12:26 PM
New heat sink and fan is installed. Processor is running cooler. Fan is a little louder than the old one, but it's not obnoxious.

When I pulled the old heat sink off, I discovered that it had burned right through the thermal tape. Hopefully, the thermal grease I put on will fair a bit better.

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:19:04 PM
I won't get my board till next thursday, so earliest I can put her in is next weekend :(