PDA

View Full Version : Been having webcam/firewall issues. Help?

Pierce Tondry
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:00:27 PM
I own a Logitech Clicksmart 420, a webcam you can unplug and take pictures with, then hook back up and save the pictures. Problem is, the webcam function does not seem to work. When I attempt to start the webcam on, say Yahoo! Instant Messanger, the program complains that I am behind a firewall and will not start the webcam. Furthermore, it also will not let me view another person's webcam. Yahoo troubleshooting FAQs instruct me to make sure outgoing connections are allowed on a specific port, but I've attempted to locate where to do this with no success.

General system info
AMD Athlon 2k+
EPox Nvidia NForce 2

I use a Motorola SB5100 SURFBoard cable modem to connect to the Internet and a CompUSA 4-port switch in order to share the connection with other computers in the house. Removing the switch and connecting directly to the modem yields the same results. I have friends who use the same ISP (Comcast) that did not have this problem, so they cannot help me with it. I'm really very baffled as to why the setup doesn't work since I think by all rights, it should. Anyone who can help me would be much appreciated.

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:34:05 PM
From a non-technical view, I can see two possible things to try:

- Take the Webcam to someone elses house and try it, using your YM account.

- Use a different webcam alternative? Try not using YM, see if you can connect that way. Can't think of an alternative.

They'd eliminate possiblities.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:06:10 PM
"NAT" and "Port Forwarding" are my keywords for the day. Look them up in regards to your hardware (cam and cable/dsl router).