PDA

View Full Version : Luncheon

Tiberius Anar
Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:21:52 AM
He was in the small drawing room looking out over the pristine lawns that surrounded the palace. In the distance the dense jungle forest could be seen, bordering the gardens.

Order and chaos meet. he thought.

His luncheon companion today was something of a mystery to him. He had the rest of the aristocracy pinned down in his mind, he knew how they thought, how they worked. Duchess s'Ilancy was not quite the same. She was not of the same narrow mindset or background as the rest. What would she be like?

The doors opened and a footman entered, "Her Grace, the Duchess s'Ilancy."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:34:02 AM
At first she'd refused to go, doing her best to think of an excuse to NOT go. It wasn't that she didn't like who her companion would be, it was the fact that it was just too early in the morning for her. Her routine whenever visiting Thyferra had always been the same - wake up at 4 am, go out into the woods to hunt, then come back to the house a few hours later to fall asleep on the couch until mid-afternoon.

But no. She had to have lunch with the Chancellor. Someone was always trying to get her attention whenever she visited Thyferra; last time it was Commodore Dagrelle, and now the Chancellor? They're keeping an eye on me. I know it - ever since me and Silus got drunk and went jousting on the tauntauns, they've been watching me. Sadly enough though, it wasn't so much who he was that really made her want to skip out of the entire thing - it was the fact that it was just too early.

But, unfortunately, some things in life are unavoidable, and the Lupine knew that this was one of them. So she made the best of her situation. If she had to put up with a Chancellor, he'd have to put up with her. To her credit, she didnt snap at the footman for calling her "her grace" - instead, she settled for giving him a dark look as she walked in.

She'd been told to dress nicely - she wore a pair of denims, an oversized button-up, and flipflops. She'd been told to show the Emperor the the utmost respect. She didn't bow. She didn't curtsie. She didn't give Anar any sort of sign that she acknowledged his position in the Imperial Sovereignty. To her, he was just another guy - and reaching up, she pulled her orange tinted sunglasses from her eyes.

She'd been told to address him as "your excellency", or "excellency". Instead...

" 'Sup Chief."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:27:50 AM
He had been warned that s’Ilancy could be rather difficult at times, and that she tended to be “eccentric”. But nothing could have prepared the Chancellor for this.

He was shocked by the Duchess’ appearance. He was reminded, forcefully, of his middle daughter. Her greeting was even more bizarre. Chief? Chief! What is this- a palace or a commune? Tiberius was, however, too experienced to show his true thoughts.

“Thank you for coming, Your Grace,” he ignored the look of irritation that crossed his guest’s features, “Drink?”

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:07:48 PM
Annoyance flashed across her face momentarily, but it soon passed as she ambled her way more into the drawing room. Her gait remained loose and casual, hands stuffed into her pockets and sunglasses hooked into the neckline of her shirt. Her skin had bronzed in the time she'd been on Thyferra, a byproduct of spending her days out in the sun working on an antique speeder she'd purchased a few weeks before.

She was the very definition of someone who simply didn't care for pomp and properness, and she was quite proud of that fact.

"Sure. Cherry Vodka Seven."

In her opinion, liquor always made things go smoother.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:12:32 PM
Tiberius moved to the drinks cabinet and prepared the drinks. He got himself a small whisky. He handed s'Ilacy her drink and motioned to the seats, indicating that she might sit.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:42:45 PM
Accepting the drink, the Lupine lazily let her small frame lower into the offered seat, and leaning back, she stretched her legs out, crossing them at the ankles.

"If this has anything to do with the barfight at the Blue Mule last night," she began, letting herself settle a little more, "I didn't start it."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:02:18 PM
Tiberius raised an eyebrow, "No, Your Grace, not at all. I thought we might have lunch that is all."

He dropped his angular frame into a chair oposite s'Ilancy.

"So. I trust that you are well?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:54:36 PM
He was up to something - she knew it. If it wasn't about the brawl the previous night, she knew that it was about something.

At his inquiry though, she only looked at him.

"I'll be fine as long as you stop calling me 'your grace'."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:59:18 PM
Tiberius smiled, "You do not like your title?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:30:45 PM
She only looked at him over the top of her glass.

"Not particularly."

Taking a drink, she let the liquor travel down her throat, relishing the taste.

"It's like if someone called you 'dren-sniffer'. That's about as much as I like the title 'your grace'.

"Follow?"

Tiberius Anar
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:48:53 AM
Anar smiled again, "Not exactly, no. But I get the idea."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:08:12 AM
She only raised an eyebrow, deciding to remain silent for the moment. Did he call her here for the same reason Dagrelle had decided to visit her? To see if he could see her change? It certainly wouldn't have surprised her if that was the case. Things remained to be seen however.

Leaning back a little, the Lupine stretched her legs just a little. Her entire body was relaxed, lithe muscles resting after the morning's romp through the woods. She'd wanted to stay out, but this little 'lunch' was unavoidable, and turning her neck, she gazed out the windows at the lawn and the woods that sat further back.

She sighed.

"Well," she started absently, her voice neutral - making it apparent her mind had gone elsewhere, "I suppose being the Chancellor, you have people who understand things for you."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:36:44 PM
Tiberius ignored this, although it amused him. One of the things his staff could not do was understand.

He followed his guests gaze, "Impressive is it not. Six months ago that was all jungle. Horribly messy, vey dense and chaotic."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:50:12 PM
"I don't know if that's what I would call it. Nature is supposed to random and "chaotic". What you call a mess is what I call beauty."

I wouldn't mind hunting out there...

For a brief moment she wondered exactly how much Anar knew about her - knew whether or not she was a Lupine, but dismissed the thought as soon as it surfaced.

"Fancy lawns and gardens don't replace what was destroyed to make them."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:59:24 AM
"You prefer the jungle?" asked Tiberius. That explains her dress sense

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:39:53 PM
"Only in the morning," she said idly, taking another sip of her drink.

Her eyes went to his then. "I'm no evironmentalist wacko, but I do like my early morning runs, and frankly," she inclined her head to the lawn stretched out below, "that right there is boring, flat, dull, and without any aestheticly challenging aspects."

Another sip. "Besides. Theres no fun in running around out on a flat expanse like that unless it's for a sport."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:57:08 PM
"Yes, well quite."

Tiberius decided to change topic, not wanting to be drawn into a protracted debate on gardening.

"My I ask why you are on Thyferra? I understood that you prefered to be off-world."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:07:48 PM
"Actually, I pretty much use Thyferra as a glorified beer cooler. Old friends visit me when they know I'm in, and we spend our time staggering around in a drunken stupor."

With an impish smile, the Lupine leaned back, finishing the rest of her drink with a swift tip.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:30:29 PM
"I see," Tiberius was rapidly coming to the conclusion that s'Ilancy was not his sort of being. Far to vulgar and brash for his tastes. But there was something about her.

The doors of the drawing room opened, those that led to the ajoining dining room. The butler, a man by the name of Belkis entered. He was impeccably turned out in the in the livery of the Imperial Household- blue and gold.

"Luncheon is served, Your Excellency."

"Shall we?" Tiberius asked his guest.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:52:42 AM
For a moment, s'Il did nothing, only staring at the man who'd announced that lunch was ready. He looked so... foppish. In fact, she didn't move at all until Anar's words reached her ears, and with a slight nod, the Lupine rose to her feet, empty glass still in hand, and followed the Chancellor through the drawing room and into the dining room.

Please don't let it be anything fancy... Please don't let it be anything fancy... Please don't let it be anything fancy... Please don't let it be anything fancy...

Tiberius Anar
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:51:37 PM
The dining room was one of the smallest in the palace. It was set aside for those times when the Chancellor did business over lunch. In the center of the room a table had been laid for two.

A crisp white table cloth, with a dark blue one laid across it. In the centre of the table was a small flower arrangment. The cutlery was all silver and the glasses were crystal. Napkins, with the Imperial Crest in the corner, sat in napkin rings. It was all very elegant.

A footman held back the Duchess' seat with a quiet, "Your Grace". This earned him a withering look from s'Ilancy as she sat down. She looked rather out of place in these formal surroundings.

Tiberius took his own place and waited whilst the wine was poured. As the footman withdrew to fetch the first course (soup) he spoke to s'Ilancy.

"I am afraid this is going to be a small lunch- only three courses," he said apologetically, "We haven't the time for anything more."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:40:38 PM
Three course??!! He thought that was small?? Hell, lunch (and sometimes even dinner) for her usually only consisted of a jar of hot peppers and instant noodles. Sometimes combined even to make it that much easier to eat. And then there was the raw jakrab whenever she went out roaming the countryside.

She shrugged.

"It doesn't matter. I can have as much or as little time as I want. The only responsibilities I have are to myself. Don't have to worry about popularity are the like. It's rather nice."

Reaching out, s'Il started to toy with the silverware as she heard the footman returning with their "first course".

At first she felt nothing, having tapped at the spoon with her fingernail, but as she let her palm rest atop it, the Lupine let out a startled yelp. Jerking her hand away, she rested it in her lap - already the skin of her palm was blistering and welling up.

Krasst...

it would have to be cut away soon...

She turned accusatory eyes to Anar. Maybe he did know, and decided to play a cruel joke. And if he didn't know, then the "cat was out of the bag" so to speak. Still cradling the injured hand, she glared daggers at the man.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:12:46 PM
Tiberius lept to his feet, concerned for his guest.

"My dear lady! What is wrong?"

He saw the hand, blistered and red, thatt s'Ilancy was cradling. He looked at his guest who was clearly in pain.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:29:35 PM
She remained where she was, still looking up angrily to Anar. The Lupine held her hand close, using her opposite thumb to begin digging into the wound. She'd need a knife though if she was to remove it completely.

"That's a sick joke, Anar - using silver like that."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:58:33 PM
"Using silver like what?" asked Tiberius. He was so shaken that he forgot his usual calm voice and formal basic. He turned to the footman who was standing looking on in horror.

"Don't just stand there! Fetch my physician!" snapped Tiberius. The footman rushed from the room, chided by his master's words.

"Now, please explain what is going on."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:45:50 PM
"I don't need a physician," she barked, standing as well, "I just need a sharp knife - one NOT made from silver."

Letting her injured hand fall to her side, s'Il reached down, grasping a napkin. Using it to pick up the spoon, she grimaced slightly as the burning could even be felt just a little through the fabric. She idly tossed it to Anar then so he could catch it easily.

"Doesn't hurt you so much, does it," she growled, "Did you think it'd be funny to watch a Lupine get burned? I should change right here, right now, and let you see how just funny things can get."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:14:21 AM
Lupine

Tiberius took a step backwards, an involuntary reaction to s'Ilancy's anger.

A myth. A fairytale. Something to scare the children with. Surely not reality

"So it's true?" he asked, disbelief sounding in his voice, mixed with fear.

He had heared rumours about the Duchess s'Ilancy. That she was not human, that she was some sort of freak. He had assumed that this was just the usual petty rumour mongering of the upper-classes; jealous of her wealth and power. But now...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:37:29 AM
His reaction was enough to tell her that he infact didn't know, and in the very back of her mind she was pleased to see him take a step back - she could hear the tones and inflections in his voice - unbelieving and fear...

With a sigh, s'Il let herself sit back down, once more concentrating on her recent injury.

"Yes it's true," she grumbled, not even looking up, "So sit down or something. I'm not gonna to hurt you."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:59:06 AM
Something in Tiberius, probably the last vestiges of the ingrained anti-alien sentiment drummed into him in youth, made him hesitate. He was far from being bigotted but he was still a child of the New Order and so had certain reservations about non-humans.

His hesitation lasted barely a second and then he sat down. He has nothing to fear- there were bodyguards outside after all.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:22:42 AM
With a grimace, she sat up straighter, deciding for the moment to allow the burning to go on. It would have to be cut away though - to avoid any permanent scarring.

She looked across the table at Anar, her eyes locking with his as she allowed a distinct silence to fill the air between the two. For her, it wasn't uncomfortable - for him, the Lupine had to wonder just a little bit.

Finally she spoke.

"Someone's awful quiet. Touch of xenophobia, perhaps?"

Tiberius Anar
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:25:02 PM
Tiberius tried not to let the truth seep out through his eyes, he did not like the idea that he might be considered xenephobic. He had spoken often on the theme of inclusion and acceptance in the Sovereingty. It would be embarassing for people to think he was xenephobic after that.

"Forgive me," he said apologetically, "I just..." he tried to find the right thing to say, "I was not aware that you were anything but human. I had heard stories but I dismissed them."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:52:45 PM
"It's not something I like to advertise. I've served time in Imperial re-education centers because of what I am - I'm not about to go change in front of anyone here. It's an Imperial held world after all. I'd be crazy to do something like that."

Leaning back, the Lupine studied him, her expression neutral. She could still see something in his eyes though - she could almost smell his uneasiness.

"Now," she began, setting each hand carefully and mindful of her most recent injury, palmdown, on the table top. "If this is going to present an insurmountable problem for you, then I'll simply leave. Some people just can't seem to get over that hurdle of being in close quarters with someone who isn't exactly like them."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:04:25 AM
Tiberius would not admit his slight discomfort- he was too much of a gentleman. Instead he tried to divert the question with one of his own.

"How many people know?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:13:51 AM
Lofting an eyebrow, s'Il kept her eyes on Anar.

"Only Desaria, at first. I came to him once - a while back asking for asylum. and he granted it. He knows because I changed in front of him. The other person who knows is de Nostradaum, but I'm sure he's gone and told all of his cronies, and I'm sure the guards who were with him helped the rumor along.

"I would say that alot of people know - or think they know, but only a handful have actually seen it for themselves."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:01:13 PM
Tiberius considered this for a moment. If de Nostradaum knew then it was fairly likely many people knew- so why had he, Tiberius Anar, not been told?

"Changed?" asked Tiberius, his curiousity rising after the initial fea he had felt.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:18:35 PM
She leaned forward a little then, opting to rest her forearms on the table.

"Yes, changed. From biped to quadruped. Human to what you would probably like to term 'beast'.

"If you're so inclined, think of me as a werevornskr - though that term is a little overdramatic for me."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:28:59 PM
She was not human, certainly, but she did not seem all that dangerous.

Non-humans were tolerated in the Sovereignty but they had to be registered with the Ministry of the Interior. If s'Ilancy was at liberty to roam then she was registered and thus safe (dangerous non-humans were imprisoned or under survailence by the Iquisitorate).

Tiberius decided to make sure of this, "I take it you are registered as a non-human."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:38:02 PM
This startled her, and s'Il gave him a quizzical look. Registered? Well if that wasn't the stupidest thing...

"Desaria knows, and that is good enough. I don't need to be 'registered'."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:15:46 PM
"Perhaps before I became Chancellor that was the case," said Tiberius, a subtle criticism of the Grand Admiral's habits of favouritism, "But it would be best for you to be registered. Unregistered non-humans have no rights- I could shoot you now and get away with it!"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:00:58 PM
"But you won't."

The tone of her voice was enough to tell anyone that she fully capable of proving anyone wrong - including the Chancellor. Not only that, but just the inflection was one of deadly confidence.

"If you kill me, the repercussions will be far and away beyond what you could ever have expected."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:43:18 PM
"Is that a threat?" asked Tiberius, a smile creasing th corners of his lips.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:57:53 PM
"Not in the least. I am simply telling you the cause of such an action."

With disgust, the Lupine looked down to the silverware still near her, and once more taking the napkin in hand, she gingerly picked the offending things up - using the cloth as a shield of sorts - and moving them more towards the center of the table.

"If you expect me to get registered, the I'm afraid you're mistaken. I have no intentions of doing so - I'm not on-planet enough as it is.

"I will not register."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:04:44 PM
"It would be best if you did," said Tiberius calmly.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:17:35 PM
"You may think that, but you're not me."

Her eyes narrowed, and voice deathly quiet.

"Just because I am not like you does not mean that I have to be branded as such."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:24:37 PM
"Really, you miss the point," Tiberius rose and moved to the window. He looked out over th gardens as he spoke.

"The registration of non-humans was originally to brand them, it is true. But now it is to protect them. There are those who would lynch evey non-human they met and under the old laws they could. The directive that was issued by the Ministry of the Interior means thatnow, if a non-human is attacked their attackers can be punished. But it only applies to those non-humans who register themselve. Otherwise they have no rights and no protection."

He turned back to s'Ilancy. "If you are not registerd and you make enemies in high places they could use this against you. Mark my words you'll wish you had registered"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:38:24 PM
The Lupine rose as well, her eyes almost smoldering. If she could have, she would've clenched her fists.

"I may own land on this rock, but I'm by no means a permanent resident. I come, stay for two days, then leave. Hardly grounds for anything."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:07:54 PM
Tiberius was about to respond when the door opened to admit his physician, Doctor Gremer.

"You wanted me, Your Excellency?"

Tiberius looked at s'Ilancy thenback to Gremer.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:55:26 PM
Attention shifting to this new arrival, s'Il allowed a scowl to cross her features.

"I need something sharp - preferably a scalpel."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:16:08 PM
The doctor looked quizically at the Chancellor. Who was this woman demanding medical instruments? What was she doing here?

"Give her a scalpel, Gremer, and then would you wait outside please," Tiberius said calmly.

The doctor opened his case and produced a scalpel in its sterile cover. He handed it over to s'Ilancy. Then he left.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:25:52 PM
Her fingers colsed around the scalpel, and s'Il lowered herself once more into her seat, holding her injured hand palm-up. The burn was still sizzling just a little, and she winced as she gently touched a finger to the seared flesh, the welt was tender, the pain still sharp.

Deftly removing the cover, the Lupine closed her eyes before touching the tip of the blade to her skin, and with a slow deliberate motion, began running it down the length of her palm. The edge sliced through the skin easily - just like a hot knife to butter, and she couldnt help the hiss that escaped her lips. Pulling the blade away, she repeated her action, beginning to cut the welt away in strips.

Slight trickles of blood could be seen, but already it was beginning to coagulate - a testament to her body's heightened metabolism.

Halfway through the process she looked to Anar.

"You were going to say something before we were interrupted... "

Tiberius Anar
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:28:29 PM
Tiberius was staring out of the window in an effort to ignore what s'Ilancy was doing. His gaze was fixed upon the pristine lawns as he replied.

"I was going to repeat my advice, but claerly you do not need it. You have survived this long with out the protection of the law, I suppose you can continue to do so."

There was not point arguing over this. s'Ilancy would not be swayed of his point of view. And he was not going to fight an unwinable fight.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:35:04 PM
"You don't know much about me then."

Finishing up the last cuts, the Lupine leaned back then, setting the scalpel on the table and letting out a long breath. The burn would heal, and no scar would remain. Her eyes turned to Anar then, as he stared out the window.

"I doubt your files on me show that I used to be an assassin. Am I right?"

Tiberius Anar
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:32:37 PM
Tiberius turned round sharply at this. Assasin!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:46:53 PM
"Got your attention there, didn't I," she said lazily, her gaze casual at best.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:18:35 PM
"That is one way of putting it," Tiberius said trying not to let his worry show. "Who?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:57:39 PM
A shrug. "Who did I kill?

"Anyone who crossed the Hutts, pretty much." Which in all truthfullness, had been quite alot of people. Of course, it'd been a long time ago - back when she'd been known as the Metal Eyed Butcher - a name which she was fairly certain hadn't made its way to Thyferra.

"That was a long time ago, and I don't really do that kind of stuff much anymore."

Too often at least.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 21st, 2004, 01:58:23 PM
"I am glad to here it," said Tiberius with a half smile.

There was a knock at the door.

"Enter!" barked Tiberius, half turning to see who it was.

One of the civil servants who worked in his office came through the door. He bowed slightly before he spoke to the Chancellor.

"Forgive the intrusion, Excellency, but there is an urgent call waiting for you outside."

"Will you excuse me for a moment?" asked Tiberius, looking across at s'Ilancy.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 21st, 2004, 02:18:00 PM
The Lupine gave him a nod, seemingly nonchalant.

Her mind though was reeling - just the idea of registering herself as a non-human was obscene. She knew that nothing good would come of this, and in mild frustration she rose to stand, eyes looking down to the table.

Now that Anar knew, things would be a little trickier than before - not that she really had much to worry about she hoped; s'Il never bothered people whenever she was on-planet, and pretty much kept to herself unless she was requested at a dinner.

She blinked, letting out a long breath.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:30:38 PM
Tiberius walked out of the room and down the hall. He turned into a small room and went to the commlink that sat upon the table. It was one of the standard issue secure government sort, with a built in scrambler and privacy field.

Key inserted his code cylindar and keyed in the necessary clearance code. The screen lit up with static as it scrambled the signal and then cleared to reveal the face of....

R. S. Esalis
Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:27:27 PM
High Inquisitor R. S. Esalis let a thin-lipped smile grace her lips as the Chancellor's visage filled the viewscreen on her end. She nodded to him.

"Chancellor. I trust you are doing well? How is your luncheon so far with the Duchess?"

Tiberius Anar
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:31:59 PM
"Interesting, most interesting," said Tiberius trying not gve too much away. "Her file does not do her justice."

R. S. Esalis
Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:53:17 PM
An eyebrow rose. "Is that so?

"Anything of noteworthy importance?"

Tiberius Anar
Feb 24th, 2004, 01:17:03 PM
Adopting a nonchalant tone Tiberius replied, "Oh, one or two things came up. For example our opinions on...er...gardening. Her Grace seems to appreciate the rugged landsacpe of Thyferra."

R. S. Esalis
Feb 24th, 2004, 01:30:29 PM
"Gardening... "

Her voice flat, the High Inquisitor let no emotion play across her face.

"I see."

Steely eyes narrowed then. "And how about Thyferra's wildlife? Has that come into your conversations at all?"

Tiberius Anar
Feb 24th, 2004, 02:15:59 PM
Tiberius wondered just how much the High Inquisitor knew. He noticed the emphasis laid upon the word wildlife. He decided to run with that phrase.

"Yes, it did as a matter of fact. Her Grace appears to have a great afininty for wildlife. Very much at one with wildlife."

R. S. Esalis
Feb 24th, 2004, 02:34:44 PM
"So I've heard."

Gaze still hardened, Esalis went on. "I feel I must caution you, however. The Duchess is known for her eccentricities yes, but their level is somewhat greater than most. She may put off an air of casualness and her demeanor may be noncommital, but she is dangerous.

"Be on your guard."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 25th, 2004, 12:04:48 PM
"I shall take your advice, as always Madam Inquisitor. Was there anything else?"

R. S. Esalis
Feb 25th, 2004, 12:30:56 PM
For a few seconds longer her face remained as it was - impassive yet radiating a sense of coldness through her gaze. And then a smile pulled at her lips, and the High Inquisitor inclined her head to Anar.

"I'm afraid there isn't, Chancellor. I merely wanted to make sure you were safe.

"My thanks to you for taking the time out of your lunch."

Without even waiting for a reply, Esalis cut the communication.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 25th, 2004, 01:44:18 PM
Tiberius was left staring at an empty screen. The woman had a certain arrogance, probably the result of knowing a great deal about everone in the Imperial Sovereignty.

He rose and made his way back to the dining room.

"My apologies, that call could not wait," he said as re-entered the room. He noted that s'Ilancy had been eating some bread whilst she was waiting, he took the hint.

"Gerad!" he called. One of the footmen appeared at his side. "Bring in the main course. We are finished with the soup." He turned back to his guest, and then caught sight of the cutlery on the table. "Oh, and bring some different cutlery. No silver."

"Yes, Your Excellency,"the footman said, hurring off to fetch the next course and some help to clear the table.

Once Gerad was gone, Tiberius returned his attention to his guest.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:13:57 AM
Actually, the Lupine had taken only one bite before putting the bread back on the table. Disinterest could easily be seen in her eyes, and as Anar came back, she leaned back in her seat.

"Thanks," was all she said, inwardly grateful that the silverware was being replaced. Her hand was almost healed now, her metabolism working wonderfully to mend the wound, and s'Il involuntarily clenched and opened her hand a few times, testing the healing muscles of her palm and fingers.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:20:52 PM
Tiberius resumed his seat, after a few moments silence he spoke.

"Your Inqusisitorate File does not mention your past occupation as an assassin. It omits a great deal, in fact."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 27th, 2004, 05:28:08 PM
"Well then that's a good thing. The more holes in it the better."

Staring at the Chancellor, the Lupine couldn't help the beginning feelings of a slight nervousness - if he started asking too many questions, things would turn ugly very quickly.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 28th, 2004, 12:32:20 PM
Tiberius kept his eyes fixed upon s'Ilancy as he spoke- watching for signs of any emotion that his words might elicit.

"Ah, but are they holes by accident or design?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 28th, 2004, 12:50:25 PM
"Design."

The Lupine kept her eyes on his, refusing to relent in this little staring game. Anar may have been intimdating to some, but to her, he was just another man. Even if he was in a position of power, she gave it no thought as she talked with him.

"Not even Desaria knows everything, and frankly, I'd like to keep it that way. It makes things so much easier, and people around here seem to be much more amiable as long as they don't know everything about a person."

Her eyes narrowed then, and s'Il leaned forward. "That, and I don't really think you need to know everything. I'd rather not have anything known that could very well be exploited."

Tiberius Anar
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:07:07 PM
"The file on you may contain holes by design of the High Inquisitor, not just by you." He took a sip of his wine.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:25:02 AM
"She's not responsible, trust me."

Something was going on - she knew it. Even if she didn't know what it was, the Lupine knew it was something. And she didn't like it. Whether it was about her needing to register or - God forbid - changing for him.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 29th, 2004, 12:32:04 PM
"They know," said Tiberius simply. "That was the High Inquisitor who called me. She dropped a few hints. Just enogh to convince me that she knows. And she will have evidence, she does not act with out evidence. She has just been keeping it back, to protect certain people."

He paused allowing this thought to sink in and then continued, "You told me that the only people had seen you change were Desaria and de Nostradaum. Now is there any possibility that you were recorded doing so. By surveilence equipment, security systems. Any chance at all?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 29th, 2004, 02:45:20 PM
Her expression soured. "Well, if there is, it was done during the incident with de Nostradaum - however, even that is highly unlikely. I'd destroyed the surveillance cameras in the room we were in before I changed. If there were others, I didn't see their peripherals when I hacked the system."

She eyed him before continuing, the tone of her voice a cautious one. "Why... "

Tiberius Anar
Feb 29th, 2004, 02:59:43 PM
"Because it would explain why they have not acted- yet," said Tiberius leaning back in his chair looking at the ceiling

"You see the only good reason not to expose you as non-human is if in doing so they could damage someone of importance; my predecessor Mikell de Nostradaum for instance. If the evidence could embarrass him then it would not be used. Now that Mikell is no longer Chancellor that cannot happen," he paused and looked straight at s'Ilancy, "Unless they were to find evidence that might embarrass someone of equal importance."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 1st, 2004, 12:59:50 PM
"Let me see if I get you - "

A quick sweep of her hand brushed back an errant lock of hair from her face, and s'Il adopted an air of thinly veiled frustrated annoyance.

"You want me to change for you."

Her eyes narrowed. "That's not something I appreciate, really. I'm not some sort of circus freak that does tricks for people, yourself included. That, and I don't particularly like being indebted to people. You'd have to have a damn good incentive for me to even think of changing in front of you."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:22:01 PM
"You are not human. You are not registered. You will not register. You have no rights and no hope. Eventually you are going to be exposed- by the Inquisitorate or by someone else- and then..." he allowed the sentence to go unfinished.

There was a silence that seemed to stretch into eternity, but was really less than two seconds.

"I can protect you, I can keep you safe. All you have to do is change here and now. Then your enemies cannot move for fear of damaging me and my government. In exchange I would want very little. Perhaps your services as an assasin."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:30:23 PM
He wanted to use her as an assassin? That surprised her, and the Lupine gave him a startled look.

"An assassin? That's not exactly 'a little'. Actually, that's alot - quite alot.

"Look. I could care less about being safe; no one's ever really safe, not even you.

"But, that being said, I have nothing to do lately, so fine. I'll change. But tell me this - why can't you simply say you saw me shift without me having to actually do it."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 1st, 2004, 03:07:49 PM
"I like to be kept entertained," said Tiberius without thinking. He wished that he could pull the words back out of the air but he could not.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 1st, 2004, 03:18:37 PM
The silence that was brought on by his words was thick, and the look of seething anger she gave him was almost tangible.

"Entertained."

Her voice, deathly quiet, held an edge of disgust to it as she placed her hands on the table. For a moment she'd thought he actually had nothing but an honest, somewhat selfless intention for proposing what he did. Metallic eyes narrowed as she glared at Anar, and it was easy to see that she was having just a small amount of trouble in keeping her temper under control.

And when she spoke, her voice held a certain level of malice to its tone.

"That was a bad choice of words."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 1st, 2004, 03:22:13 PM
Tiberius was completely thrown. What had made him say it? What? What? What? He made an attempt to salvage something.

"I meant nothing by it, a joke. Nothing serious," he smiled, weakly.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 1st, 2004, 03:55:03 PM
She was unfazed.

"That sort of thing isn't supposed to be 'joked' about. Once again," her teeth were clenched, "I am not some sort of freak who performs tricks.

"Am I understood."

Tiberius Anar
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:50:25 PM
He had recovered from his earlier confusion. He was sure of his position, he had guards outside and the best security money could buy. She could do nothing to him- he was the Chancellor!

"Never-the-less, you will change. If you know what is good for you..."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:23:07 PM
One of her hands, which had previously been folded in her lap, came up suddenly then, slamming down onto the table - only... it wasn't so much a hand as a writhing, twisting display of reforming bone and muscle beneath skin.

She seemed to rise out of her chair, and as her other hand came up to hit the tabletop, it was easily apparent that both appendages were shifting into massive paws - once slender fingers thickened, their length shorthened as claws became visible. As a silver sheen of fur sprouted, spreading like wildfire up her arms and over the rest of her body, the Lupine slowly let her body change.

With an otherwordly sigh, the bones in her body disjointed to reform a new structure, and muscle and tendon popped into place over her new form. Eyes once metallic, now were a tawny yellow as they glared at Anar while her bulk slowly rose up, the table creaking as her weight was applied to it more fully. Her head had narrowed as well, ears coming to a point and a dangerous maw of teeth growing within powerful jaws. Her waist had thinned as she changed, and the loose pants she wore had come off. With a swipe of her paw across her chest, the shirt was pulled away as well, her muscles shifting beneath her pelt. As she came more fully onto the table, her whiplike tail lashed from left to right, the vornskr let out a venomous growl.

Slowly, the beast stepped forward, taking a few steps across the top of the table to stop before Anar, her lips curled back in a growl and her entire body towering over him as she brought her muzzle in close to his face, locking eyes with him.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:34:31 PM
Tiberius had expected something spectacular and he was not disappointed. The creature before him was terrifying in its magnificence. He stared into those piercing yellow eyes and knew he was a heartbeat away from death.

Sudenly the doors burst open, his bodyguards raced- in alerted by the noises eminating from the creature. Their blasters were out and searching for the threat to their master.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:40:53 PM
Her head snapped to stare at the guards who'd just barreled through the doors, and with a blink of her eyes, the look in her tawny orbs went from aggravated frustration to a slight annoyance.

The vornskr hurffed, shifting her weight and turning her body to face the newcomers fully, and with a lumbering moevement, she sat down. Letting out a sigh before turning her gaze to Anar as if to say "you've got to be kidding me," she sat still, waiting for the Chancellor's next move.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:59:51 PM
"Thank you, Your Grace."

The guards, who had been nanoseconds away from squeezing the triggers of their weapons, froze. Your Grace? Your Grace!

Tiberius got to his feet and smiled at the creature, "I have seen quite enough."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:12:03 PM
The Lupine gave him a seemingly exhasperated look before rolling her eyes and letting out a low-pitched series of incoherent grumblings and murmers as she lifted herself up to drop to the floor.

On the same level as Anar, the vornskr wasn't towering over him as she had while on the table, but she was still rather large.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:15:03 PM
"Show the Duchess out, would you?" he asked one of the guards.

The man gave the Chancellor a confused look. Then he looked at the creature, wondering whether to fetch a leash or to whistle.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:25:21 PM
So that was that. She'd conceded to him, and showed him what he wanted to see. And now - now that he'd gotten what he wanted, he was through with her until the time came when he wanted someone dead.

And who knew when that was?

Dark thoughts filled her head then, as stalked for the doors.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:11:50 PM
That evening Tiberius stood gazing out of his office windows. Night had fallen and the pale glow of the moon bathed the lawns that beyind which lay the tangled mass of the jungle.

Behind him on the desk lay three documents, the first a sworn statment from his bodyguards (all of whom had been sent back to garrison duty on a remote moon out in the Corridor Sector), the second a letter from himself to the High Inquisitor detailing the day's events, the third an Inquistorate file. Tiberius walked over to the desk and flipped open that file. Staring up at him from the page was the face of Mikell de Nostradaum.

COMPLETE