PDA

View Full Version : Johnny English DVD movie

Pierce Tondry
Jan 31st, 2004, 06:00:39 PM
File Type: mp3 video
File Decription: a rip of the movie Johnny English (starring Rowan Atkinson)
File Size: 696 MB (not for the slow of modem)

ca5e8c36a7ff09145f2df2a854f8a358df11b7fc

If I've done everything correctly, this file should be available for download off the FansGrog torrent server. It's mainly a birthday present for Dasquian, but I don't mind other people downloading it too.

Since this is my first torrent, don't be too surprised if something has gone wrong. I'd definitely appreciate anyone willing to help test this and iron out what kinks exist.

Edit: THERE WE GO. It works folks.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:34:44 AM
My recommendation to you is that you make sure your files are fully functional, and if they are then re-create the torrent.

But I have a couple quick questions that may solve the problem before you do that. Does this torrent include any RAR files? If yes, then do you have the RAR files on/in a NTFS compressed drive or folder? RAR files and NTFS compression don't get along well in my experience.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:06:11 PM
No, this torrent only includes the mp3 file that I use to play the movie itself.

There are RAR files in the same folder. However, I did not include them in the torrent because they are subtitles for the movie and not necessary to play it. Would this have an effect, do you think?

I will wait for your answer before re-creating the torrent, since the file works just fine.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:08:50 PM
If they aren't part of the torrent then they should not effect it.

I will delete your current torrent for you so you don't have any problems with uploading the same torrent. If done the same way as before(filename wise) it shouldn't change the info_hash and your vBCode link in the first post should work after you re-upload the re-created torrent with no edit needed.

Edit: After looking at the torrent details I do see the subs RAR included. (dmt-je-subs.rar) If this RAR file is on a hard drive which is compressed via NTFS compression then that is what is causing your problem. NTFS compression corrupts RAR files.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:19:48 PM
That is very confusing. I was 100% positive I did not select that file, but maybe I did accidentally. Thank you Ogre.

Torrent, take two, coming up.

While I have your attention (hehe) I wanted to ask what you think of the series "Big O" if you are familiar. I caught an episode of it the other night and wasn't sure if it was worth watching more of or not.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:21:24 PM
Its not my slice of pie, but it is a pretty popular anime from a while back.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:14:42 PM
I finally clear my download que to help you test this out and you stop seeding.....figures. :p

Pierce Tondry
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:22:15 PM
Check again- I'd turned off all my extra programs in order to do something, but ABC is back on now.

Edit: also, I like to be a good seed and leave my client on, so if you want the entire file, feel free to snag it.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:34:46 AM
You use ABC?

I had the same problems when seeding to someone on a torrent that had very few peers when the downloader was using ABC.

The peer would connect for a few minutes and download fine, then disconnect for a few minutes, spending about 50% of the entire torrent time disconnected and not downloading. I'm getting that same behavior now being on the other end as a peer. I don't use ABC and my torrent program is set to only update every 20 minutes, but I can only stay connected for about 5 minutes at a time and I am then disconnected for about 5 minutes before I get reconnected. This behavior effectively doubles download time on a torrent with few peers.

I have been on other torrents with very few peers and never had this problem before. It appears to be an issue between myself and people who use ABC.

Just a little FYI.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:11:09 PM
I'll keep that in mind. It seems to work fine from a download perspective (in fact, it behaves really well), but I'll admit it's difficult to understand from an uploader's point of view without asking them.

Well, I will decide later whether or not to switch clients. The main reason I downloaded it was because it was mentioned somewhere as being bad for beginners, and I seem to learn software best by obtaining more complicated applications and working with them. My working knowledge of torrenting has dramatically increased from when the idea was first introduced here, all because I have been exploring ABC.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:57:28 PM
Did you get it all, Ogre?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:45:03 PM
Yup, I got it all (note to Brian: the stats show two seeds now so duh!)

I'll check it out tomorrow sometime probably. Thanks!

Pierce Tondry
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:16:07 AM
Yes, I can see that. It wasn't showing two seeds earlier though- not sure why. Possibly sommat on my end.

And you are quite welcome.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:16:26 AM
I'm getting this. Slowly but surely :)