PDA

View Full Version : Place your Cards on the Table, Gents (open)

The Ace of Hearts
Jan 30th, 2004, 10:54:33 PM
Bambi had just about got it. Slowly...slowly..she exhaled.

She sat with one booted foot resting comfortably on her opposite knee, leg crooked at a right angle. Her head was tilted a little to the ceiling, her one good eye glinting dully in the ambivilent light that streamed in from outside through the half-open slatted blinds, illuminating the hotel room just enough to make out the shapes of furniture. A liquor cabinet was set flush against one wall, a wall unit against another that housed the holovid screen oh-so-cleverly behind cabinet doors that looked like a bookshelf.

The bed was just off center of the room, leaving the plump armchair, in which she reclined, to face forward to the suites only entrance.

He'd be here soon. Not that he was punctual, but the bars would all have closed by now so Prent should stumble his way to his waiting accommodations any time now.

A faint shuffle of footfalls on the carpeted hallway just outside the door, a sliding sound as the key was passed through its electronic lock.

Maddox breathed in through her nose, and exhaled again. The gum had formed a nice tight, ever expanding bubble. She held her blaster casually in her lap and watched now from her shadowed vantage as the door slid open.

The bubble burst with an audible "pop" as Prent was silohetted against the glare of the hallway lighting.

Bambi smiled. "You're dead"

And fired.

Sanis Prent
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:12:19 PM
The blaster bolt hit true, slamming into my chest. I went down from the force of impact, the smell of ozone and scorched fabric pungent like stale coffee at an all-night greasy spoon. The shock melted away whatever inebriation I felt. There was no pain. Only awareness, with the volume turned down a bit.

As the smoke wafted and died, I watched the woman, sitting in the lounge chair at my feet.

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:31:59 PM
"Geez, Prent"

Maddox had launched herself out of the chair and crossed the room to the sprawled Prent in two strides of her long legs.

"They said you were going soft, but....krasst"

She peered over him, stooped as she was in the half-light, Sanis could read the expression on her face. Clearly, she was gazing on a travesty, looking at him with pity like one would a lame horse that would have to be shot being of no further use.

Bambi checked her blaster - it was on the lowest setting, stun - a precaution she'd thought earlier as being rediculously prudent. This was Sanis Prent, after all. Now, tucking the weapon in the back of her pant waist, she felt sick relief that she'd erred on the side of caution. She'd be a name on a list if she'd actually killed the guy. She swore to herself again.

Stretching down her hand toward Sanis as he lay unmoving.

"Looks like the rumors are true..."

She grabbed his forearm and pulled him to his feet, introducing herself.

"Bambi Maddox - Black Sun"

The Assassin helped him to the armchair, where he sank unsteadily into it. The hotel room door slid closed as Prent's obstructing bulk was removed from it, plunging the room again into semi-darkness.

"Let me pour you a drink"

Sanis Prent
Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:24:47 PM
"Black Sun? I figured."

I winced as she moved me to the seat, ignoring her baiting comment. I didn't ignore her offer.

"Tequila. Second row."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:23:27 PM
Fingering one, then another, Maddox stopped when she found the bottle required. Twisting the lid off and splashing some of the stringent liquor into a glass, she came back and handed it to Prent.

"You have friends there, you know"

Lingering a moment to look down on him, she shuffled back and dropped to sit on the edge of the bed.

"They're why Im here"

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:32:20 PM
"I don't quite follow."

I took a gulp of the pungent drink, and set it aside.

"You shoot your friends on sight?"

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:41:11 PM
"The Prent I'd heard of wouldn't have got hit"

She sounded ripped off.

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:43:45 PM
"Then you've heard correctly."

Wincing, I reached into my jacket, and pulled out a small plate of distorted, scorched metal, tossing it to the carpet with a thump. Rubbing the tender skin behind the plate, I took another drink.

"Well, you've got my attention, assassin."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:50:25 PM
Maddox smiled wryly.

"Lucky I didnt aim for your head"

As she looked at the discarded armor though, Prent could see her respect rekindling.

"Your friends are worried about you...think you may be planning to check out."

She lit a cigarette.

"Rumors got it that your gentle friend is rubbing off on you.."

She exhaled loudly.

"..But that would be stupid, right?"

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:18:19 PM
"Of course."

I nodded. So this was just a shake-down? They should've taken me out when they had a chance. It didn't take too much to guess at what "gentle friend" she was insinuating.

"I've got enough money invested with my friends, if thats what you're interested in. I try to keep my business and my personal life separate."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:54:03 PM
"What I'm interested in? I couldn't care less. You know how it is Prent - we are just paid to "do" -- Im just a messenger"

She held out the pack, offering him a smoke.

"The thing is, your friends see things a little differently. They are loosing confidence. Feel you may be growing..sensitive"

"The Black Sun people arent big fans of sensitive. Poor for business. Especially if one of their best is thinking of, say, retirement maybe...?"

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:01:30 PM
"Yeah, yeah, I know. In the purely mercantile scheme of things we're all just 'doing our jobs', but you know what I mean."

I accepted the smoke, lighting up.

"I'll be sure to hand in my notice, if the time ever comes for me to leave. Right now, the only thing I've got to give is my word. If that isn't enough, I guess you'll have to see if everything you've heard about me is really true."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:18:56 PM
She looked over at him deliberately raking him up and down, and with a ribald laugh, said, "I doubt everything is true. Though, could be fun to find out"

She flicked her ash onto the carpet, rubbing it in with her boot.

"Whaddya say?"

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:37:09 PM
"Like I said, I keep business and personal life separate."

I managed a smile, tilting my drink back again.

"But there's some kind of honor amongst thieves, at least. You shoot first, and talk later. I know the type. Do you fancy yourself as an ambitious person?"

Now, it was my turn to offer her a drink. I stood from my seat, refreshing my own, and asked if she wanted anything.

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:47:20 PM
Well, that rebuttal was one of the less painful she'd experienced in her time.

Shame though.

"I'll have what you're havin since I cant have the other"

She enjoyed the view of Prent, both back and front, smiling broadly as he handed her the glass.

"Do I look the ambitious type to you?"

She downed it in a gulp "holy, thats a hair curler"

"Long as I got the basics, what more do I care about. Im a simple girl."

Maddox was suddenly struck that that was quite a leading question.

"...why?"

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:54:47 PM
"I don't meet simple people in this line of work. Simple people push nine to five in regular jobs. Simple people who try to get into this business get killed."

I half smiled, taking another drink.

"I ask, because it takes a lack of simplicity to meet on these kinds of terms. Yeah, its a job and all, but if that was it, I'd expect alot more...business."

Not that it was a bad thing. If she'd been gunning for me, I'd be dead. I knew it, and she was guessing it. I didn't let on.

"I haven't asked your name."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:09:46 AM
"Bambi - but I told you that"

Prent was still waiting.

"..but my friends call me Hearts--Ace of" she added lifting her glass in a grand gesture of introduction to herself. Only it was empty.

Getting up, she grabbed the bottle of tequila, refilled her glass, splashed some more into Prents - he may yet change his mind to her earlier offer - and sat back down again.

"Im kinda disappointed my reputation hasnt preceeded me. Im quite famous you know."

"But the message for you was a simple one"

"They're watching. And want you to know it"

And they had sent one of the best to make sure he knew they weren't kidding.

Sanis Prent
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:13:46 AM
"I know who you are, Bambi. I hate the cliche, but I make it my business to know. You're one of the better 'problem solvers' on the payroll. You remind me of myself...a few years ago."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:20:31 AM
"Well, now you're just sweet talking"

She grinned, flattered.

Then Maddox fixed him with a strangely honest, open look - not easy to achieve for a woman wearing an eye patch.

"What are you thinking Prent? How'd you get mixed up with someone who cant possibly share your world as it is now. And you know there's no way you can give "notice" like you say"

Maddox, clearly, found this a stupendous folly for someone who was as legendary as Prent.

Perhaps she was just like he had been a few years ago.

When did he slip?

Sanis Prent
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:27:58 AM
I smiled thinly, looking down at my drink.

"I'm more than the job that I do, Bambi. For complicated people, rules are more like guidelines than anything set in stone."

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:36:19 AM
"Thats where you're wrong Prent" she felt almost sorry for him, "you are the job that you do"

She drank her tequila down, slower this time, but still till the glass was empty.

"Thats what makes you so good"

Standing, she held out the bottle to him with almost an air of futile inevitability.

"Complicated or not, you cant fight who you are"

She stooped down to pick up her coat, set in a bundle beside the armchair.

Her duty here was done.

Sanis Prent
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:03:38 AM
"So, that's it?"

I queried before another drink.

"You aren't going to waste an entrance like that and just, walk away, are you?"

My eyes almost gleamed, as I looked at Bambi from my seat.

"What did it feel like to shoot me?"

The Ace of Hearts
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:51:57 PM
Bambi straightened, a tad wary.

Prent wanted to talk - she'd never really picked him as a big conversationist.

"It felt like...a shock really. Like I'd accidentally hit the jackpot. No one ever thinks they are really gonna hit the jackpot."

She looked him in the eye.

"I didn't like it much"