PDA

View Full Version : sbc scam

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:28:09 PM
in the last three days, all i can do is give the internet the googelly eye, i swear. why someone would be phishing for the passwords to sbc accounts is beyond me ô_o

Dear SBC Customer,

THIS IS AN URGENT NOTICE ABOUT RECENT DANGEROUS EMAIL SCAMS.

Earlier this week, some of our customers received an email message appearing to come from an SBC Billing department and claiming their service would be terminated if they did not respond. These emails are fraudulent and do not come from any SBC company or affiliate. Those responsible for sending these messages may be attempting to obtain personal information from recipients with false claims that "account information needs to be updated" or that "any failure in updating your records will result in account suspension."

Some of these emails direct consumers to a "look-alike", unsecured web site and request they enter their updated credit card and personal information - such as User IDs, passwords, and ATM passwords. No SBC company has requested this information, and we caution you not to provide your information to this web site.

If you received the fraudulent email and provided any information, you may "reply" to this e-mail to receive additional information regarding steps you can take to protect yourself. Simply hit "reply" and "send" and an automated response will be sent to you.

This type of fraudulent e-mail is just one example of the types of e-mail scams spreading throughout the Internet community. While the purpose of some e-mails is identity theft, such as the example above, others target the spreading of computer viruses. If you receive a suspicious email, you should delete it immediately.

Alpha
Jan 29th, 2004, 01:52:53 PM
I take is SBC isd your ISP? :) lol.