PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl!!!

jjwr
Jan 29th, 2004, 05:39:50 AM
Oddly enough no thread for this yet.

So whats everyone's thoughts on it?

Of course I gotta go with the Pats but it should be a hard fought game. I can see the Pats putting up some serious points and the Panthers possibly doing the same, I don't know how likely either is though. The two kickers should get a workout in this one.

Pats 24 - Panthers 14

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2004, 06:23:13 AM
CATWOMAN TRAILER! SEE THE TRAIN WRECK! :D

JMK
Jan 29th, 2004, 07:25:33 AM
I'm going to pretend that the Pats haven't won 14 in a row and haven't trailed in a game since thanksgiving and aren't the best coached team in the league and pick the Panthers, 23-20.

Charley
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:54:29 AM
I'm going to drink some beer, and grill some stuff, and drink some liquor.

Oh yeah, there's a game on, too :huh

darth_mcbain
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:27:37 AM
LOL Charley... That's probably about how I am with the whole SB - I just haven't been able to get into it this year. I always love watching it for the commercials though...

jjwr
Jan 29th, 2004, 10:15:19 AM
As a Pats fan I think it will be a great game but I can see why a lot of people aren't overly excited about the matchup.

Syo
Jan 29th, 2004, 11:59:58 AM
panthers 17, patriots 14

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:00:20 PM
I say the Pats win.
New England 28
Carolina 13

Figrin D'an
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:06:57 PM
The "less sexy" matchups on paper tend to end up being good games. I'm expecting a hard fought and close contest... defense, special teams and field position will rule the day. And, since I've gone with the underdogs in so many games already this playoff season, I might as well make it one more.

Carolina 20, New England 17

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 29th, 2004, 02:17:03 PM
I wont give a spread but Im going with the Panthers :)

Jedieb
Jan 29th, 2004, 06:31:34 PM
Cats

Mu Satach
Jan 29th, 2004, 07:38:02 PM
:cat

After watching the pounding both teams gave their opponents in the playoffs I think it's going to be a fantastic game and will be sorely disapointed if it's not close.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:39:36 PM
charley, if id planned ahead, i would have driven out to alabama and made you watch the game with me :p

Sanis Prent
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:40:42 PM
I'll watch the game, but it's going to be a secondary thing for me.

I generally couldn't give a damn for either the Pats or the Cats, and I'm lukewarm about the NFL with the exception of a few teams.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:41:55 PM
well, i suppose my reasonings would be a little selfish - as i dont have a tv ^_^;;

Sanis Prent
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:59:02 PM
:) well you're always welcome :love:

Ryan Pode
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:03:29 AM
Panthers

23-17 in OT.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 31st, 2004, 10:21:38 AM
Pats.

Defense won't win out for this.

And I'm guessing this coutns towards the playoff picks?

Master Yoghurt
Jan 31st, 2004, 02:39:12 PM
Pats will win this one, I am sure. Because they are overall the better team. They have been very impressive this season. Look at their winning streak and how they convincingly win each game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 31st, 2004, 10:00:47 PM
The Better team usually wins the SB that is pretty easy to see. I still say the Pats win, it could even be a blowout I just have that kinda of feeling about the game.

Ryan Pode
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:02:07 AM
I'm expecting a very nice upset in OT.

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 01:35:22 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Look at their winning streak and how they convincingly win each game.

Win? Yes. Convincingly? Ehh... not really. The Pats have had plenty of close games this year. The 14 game winning streak is impressive, but it's not as if they have been "unbeatable" in that stretch.

If it's close in the 4th quarter, I like the Panther's chances. When they hang around for the entire game, they usually find a way to win late.

Everyone thought the Rams would toast the Pats two years ago, and we know what happened there. I don't see a blowout happening. The two defensive units are too good for that to happen. I know of the trend that Super Bowls occuring two weeks after the conference title games tend to be one-sided. Not this time. As long as the physical play is called fairly both ways, it'll be a close game.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:31:51 PM
I know but I get that Denver-Atlanta feeling off this game don't know why. Plus just about every SB after the two week break have been blowouts which leads to me think that as well.

jjwr
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:56:00 PM
I still wonder why when everyone says if the game stays close the Panthers have the edge, the Pats haven't exactly blown people away this year. They keep games close and put them away late.

I know I would not count against this defense or Brady in the 4th quarter, whether the Pats have the lead or otherwise.

Its going to be a good game but a lot still seem to underestimate the Pats and what they've done. Unbeatable? By no means, the Panthers are a good team but so are the Pats.

Patriots 34 Panthers 17

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 07:40:35 PM
Strange first half. Defense dominates for 25 minutes, then the offenses come to life to score a combined 24 points. A slew of big plays came in those final 5 minutes or so.

It will be interesting to see if the second half opens with the defenses taking over again, or if the fireworks will carry over.

imported_Firebird1
Feb 1st, 2004, 07:48:39 PM
A very defensive first half, untill New England got fired up by a blocked Field Goal..and forced the ball in with one heck of a pass fake.

Then the Panthers proved that they also have a passing game by scoring.

The the Pats use the same pass fake play, but to other side.

Then the Panthers get a field goal in just before the half.

Score 14-10 with Pats leading by 4... (Should be 24 though)

Ace McCloud
Feb 1st, 2004, 08:31:23 PM
Ok random thought here. Are my eyes decieving me or did I see Janet Jackson's hooter at halftime? It looked like justin pulled off her bra/dress top thing there at the "I'm gonna have ya naked at the end of this song"

imported_Firebird1
Feb 1st, 2004, 08:46:36 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
Ok random thought here. Are my eyes decieving me or did I see Janet Jackson's hooter at halftime? It looked like justin pulled off her bra/dress top thing there at the "I'm gonna have ya naked at the end of this song"

:cool

Lets just say you saw somthing that CBS didn't want you to see....

Darth007
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:07:50 PM
nah she had like a silver little tassle there... But then again it was like in a matter of split seconds so it is hard to tell... maybe she has a silvery nipply?

imported_Firebird1
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:14:47 PM
The Panthers are starting to look like the Broncos!

EDIT:

Game tied 29-29!

CMJ
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:28:35 PM
That's it...Tom Brady IS Joe Montana.

imported_Firebird1
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:31:03 PM
It came down to a Field Goal by New England to win the Game!

Pierce Tondry
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:33:35 PM
AND THE PATRIOTS OWN.

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:35:45 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
That's it...Tom Brady IS Joe Montana.

:rolleyes

I'm getting a little sick of this "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana" talk. Yes, Brady is a very good QB, in terms of finding ways to win. But he's got a long way to go before he can be mentioned with the likes of Joe Montana.

Very entertaining game. I'll bet those who bet the over are pretty happy.

CMJ
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:38:39 PM
Here's why he reminds me of Joe Figrin....

I never thought Montana was the most talented. He didn't have the biggest arm. Heck I never thought he was the best QB when I was a kid - despite what everyone said. BUT he ALWAYS found ways to win.

Tom Brady is so much like that it's unreal.

Brielle Acaana
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:43:48 PM
Good game, very good game ! :)

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:44:32 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Here's why he reminds me of Joe Figrin....

I never thought Montana was the most talented. He didn't have the biggest arm. Heck I never thought he was the best QB when I was a kid - despite what everyone said. BUT he ALWAYS found ways to win.

Tom Brady is so much like that it's unreal.

I understand that, CMJ. But Joe Montana was THE consumate winner the NFL for more than a decade. Brady has had a great run since he took over the QB job in 2001, but it doesn't match what Montana accomplished.

Remind? Sure, a bit, I'll give you that. The whole "OMG HE'S JOE MONTANA REINCARNATE, r0x0r pwned!" hype over the past couple of weeks is ridiculous. Let's give it a few more years before we start with those comparisons.

CMJ
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:49:15 PM
Okay Figrin,but Joe didn't win 2 SuperBowls in his first three years either. ;) I give you that I don't follow the NFL as much as when I was a youngster, but Brady seems to come up with the goods when the chips are down every time I watch the Patriots.

Can he truly be mentioned in the same vein as Elway, Montana, Marino,Bradshaw, Staubach, etc? Probably not yet. Nonetheless, he's already been the SB MVP 2 times. Only Montana has won more MVP's(3).

imported_Firebird1
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:56:24 PM
Panthers will be the next Elway Broncos!

And New England will be the next San Franisco or Green Bay.

JMK
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:56:38 PM
Disappointing result as far as I'm concerned, but I thought it was one of the best Super Bowls I've ever seen.

Did anyone have any doubts that the Pats were still going to win before the end of regulation once the Panthers tied it at 29? I sure didn't. These guys are clutch. Damn them.

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:57:55 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Okay Figrin,but Joe didn't win 2 SuperBowls in his first three years either. ;) I give you that I don't follow the NFL as much as when I was a youngster, but Brady seems to come up with the goods when the chips are down every time I watch the Patriots.

Can he truly be mentioned in the same vein as Elway, Montana, Marino,Bradshaw, Staubach, etc? Probably not yet. Nonetheless, he's already been the SB MVP 2 times. Only Montana has won more MVP's(3).

And early in his career, Montana didn't have the defense that Brady has supporting him.

We can go on and on about this. He's a very good QB. I'm not denying that. Maybe one day, he will legitimately be mentioned with the best in league history. But not yet. I mearly find the hype exceedingly annoying.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:57:58 PM
Great SB better than I expected. I thought the Panthers were going to get hurt by the extra week off (young team never been there) I was wrong. They played better than I thought. Still they made some bad coaching decicions (why did they go for two points that first time) pentalties (at least 13), bad clock managment (scored to fast), and that kick out of bounds. Still the game was close and that makes for an entertaining game. About the Brady-Montana stuff. I think it still early, he would need to win another SB to even come close to golden Joe in my book. Of course the man was my idol as a kid so I am biased. Brady is very underrated QB though I have to say that.

CMJ
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:03:17 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Disappointing result as far as I'm concerned, but I thought it was one of the best Super Bowls I've ever seen.

Did anyone have any doubts that the Pats were still going to win before the end of regulation once the Panthers tied it at 29? I sure didn't. These guys are clutch. Damn them.

Exactly, the same thoughts you always had when Montana's 49ers had time on the clock. There might be some tension, but you always knew he'd find a way. Brady and the Patriots really remind me of that.

Even though the Cowboys of the 90's were most likely a better tam than the Pats of the 00's(I'd even argue that maybe the two years the Bronco's were on top in the 90's were better than these Pats) - the Patriots are eerily similar to those 49er squads to me. Brady comes up clutch every time.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:07:16 PM
I think the 80 49er teams were better. Especially from 88-91 when you had Montana with Rice Taylor, Craig, Rathman and Brett Jones, etc. They also had a great defense then. I think they were the best all around team in the last 25 years. This Patriot team is similar to the niner teams of the early 80's they played more like that.

CMJ
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:11:25 PM
I didn't mean the teams of the 90's were better than the Niners Layton. I meant I think they're probably better than these Pats, BUT this NE team reminds me more of SF than any squad since.

Even though those last 2 SB teams SF had were awesome, it's hard to say they were betterthan the '84 Niners. That squad was awesome.

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:15:05 PM
On a semi-related note:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/01/superbowl.jackson.ap/index.html

That was quick apology.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:15:17 PM
That 84 team was good. Also I have to say that I am biased about those 80 49er teams so that comes through some time, I don't mean to be pushy about it :p I still like that 88 team the best I guess because that SB where Montana brought the Niners back with 2 minutes left was such a great game and was the one to make me a real fan of football.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:17:17 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
On a semi-related note:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/01/superbowl.jackson.ap/index.html That was quick apology.
LOL it is I like the surprise look on Jackson. I don't think that was part of the performance. Did Timberlake do this on purpose or you think it was just an acident. Man we got two shots of skin there although brief, the streaker at the beginning of the second half

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:19:56 PM
There's a better pic here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2003/02/01/bc.fbn.superbowl.jackso.ap/?cnn=yes

Timberlake said it was an "unintentional wardrobe manfunction."

I say he's full of crap.

But, that's my opinion.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:23:05 PM
I have to agree with you, Timberlake is a punk trying to get attention to himself. I guess he thought he was standing next to Britney she hasn't been wearing much lately :p

jjwr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:25:04 PM
Here are some thoughts from a very happy Pats fan :)

First off I gotta say this Panthers team is impressive, their offensive line was in Brady's face all day, he's a master of the quick pass and sidestep so he was able to avoid it but they were very impressive.

Delhomme....wow, the throws that guy was making was incredible, his pass to Smith for their 2nd TD was beautiful, perfect pass right into his hands.

Pats D laid a bit of a egg against a average passing team who had the game of their lives. I think they could have put this game away at a few different times but Delhomme kept finding a way.

Pats rushed for like 40 more yards than the Panthers, and about 50ish of the Panthers yards came on the Davis long run at the end of the 1st half and the Foster TD.

Late in the game as they were dueling I wasn't really too worried about the outcome of the game, the Pats had just won 2 years ago and it was a great game, I knew I wouldn't be too upset if they lost. Yeah it would suck but its not like had never won before.

Now about the end of the game, I was watching the clock. I know this sounds stupids, and I've said it before but this year the Pats have rarely made a game easy, they find a way to win but never easy.

Up 29-22 I thought ok all they gotta do is hold and they're good, then the Panthers start driving....about 1:20 at the 15...way too much time left if they score, I knew the Pats would get the ball back, which means Brady & Vinatieri time. As a fan and knowing what they can do I knew it was a very favorable situation, just get it within range and let Adam take a shot.

Obviously not the ideal way to win the game but there is no team I would take right now with a minute left on the clock with the Superbowl on the line than these Patriots. It doesn't matter the situation, how far they need to go they will find a way.

Is Tom Brady Joe Montana? Of course not. It was a long 2 weeks and the media needed something to talk about.

The biggest comparison is he always finds a way to win, 2-0 in Superbowls, 6 Straight Playoff games, 2-0 Bowl Games, the guy gets it done.

jjwr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:36:15 PM
Ya know I thought that was what I thought it was. I thought I saw something silver as well, maybe a tassle or something.

The flasher was fun as well, its too bad they don't show that stuff, would have been fun to see them chase him down.

Jinn Fizz
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:55:42 PM
I was pretty startled when I was suddenly looking at Janet Jackson's breast on live TV, but I also thought I saw something silvery and shiny that was reflecting the light. Hm, maybe she has a piercing or something :p.

The looks on their faces in the picture, though, do seem to show great discomfort and embarrassment. I have to feel sympathy for Janet Jackson, but I would definitely suggest that next time she think about wearing a bra ;).

As for the game, I was starting to think it was going to be one of the dullest games ever towards the end of the first half, but thank goodness that changed! I think it ended up being a darn good game, and exciting down to the wire.

I would have liked to have seen the Panthers win, since they're the newer team and were making their first Super Bowl appearance. But I'm not going to complain too much, because thanks to that last second field goal by the Patriots, I ended up winning $125 in the office Super Bowl pool.

Party!!!!

http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Party2.gif

Jinn Fizz
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:01:29 PM
Well, jjwr and I weren't imagining things, we did see something silvery and shiny. This picture, one of many that's being emailed like mad at Yahoo! right now, proves it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=1&u=/040202/ids_photos_en/r2794264459.jpg

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:06:57 PM
I saw the silver blur as well. I figured it was a tassle covering of some kind. That's what it appears to be.

yeah, right, seems real unintentional when she's already wearing a stripper-like nipple cover. :rolleyes

Jinn Fizz
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:15:41 PM
Hm, you know, I seem to remember seeing a headline at the CNN website last week about there being a secret guest performer during the Super Bowl half-time show....

Little did we know it was going to be Janet Jackson's boob!

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:25:31 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
Hm, you know, I seem to remember seeing a headline at the CNN website last week about there being a secret guest performer during the Super Bowl half-time show....

Little did we know it was going to be Janet Jackson's boob!

:lol

And what a performance it was. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:31:26 AM
I think the special guest was Timberlake although I don't consider him a special guest. I still think by the picture of the way she looked shocked that it was Timberlake's doing the guy is a moron.

JMK
Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:21:04 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I saw the silver blur as well. I figured it was a tassle covering of some kind. That's what it appears to be.

yeah, right, seems real unintentional when she's already wearing a stripper-like nipple cover. :rolleyes

I found a close up image. There's a lot going on there, but it nipple isn't covered. It looks as if there's at least 2 piercings in there, and a bunch of other things attached, but it isn't covered.

I don't believe it was planned in any way by anyone, except maybe Timberlake. The look on her face in the si link proves that. Plus, I don't think if Janet wanted to get naked she would choose the super bowl to do it. She probably would have hit playboy already.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:34:13 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
That 84 team was good. Also I have to say that I am biased about those 80 49er teams so that comes through some time, I don't mean to be pushy about it :p I still like that 88 team the best I guess because that SB where Montana brought the Niners back with 2 minutes left was such a great game and was the one to make me a real fan of football.

I had ruptured a disc in my back and was watching that game from my hospital bad. I was woozy from the pain meds and prolly missed more than I caught, but yeah those last two minutes were golden. I have that on video, btw :D

EDIT: From the look at JJ's boob, Id say its a covering - too large just to be one or two piercings, imo

JMK
Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:00:56 AM
Like I said, I have the close up. The nipple is there and it isn't a cover up. There's alot of stuff stuck on there aside from the piercings, but nothing is left to the imagination. At all.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:05:58 AM
Its a boob. We've all seen them and some of us even have them! Stop straining your eyes, JMK ;)

JMK
Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:13:55 AM
Yeah but it's so weird looking. :lol

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:50:47 AM
Anyone catch the closeup of the streaker? Scary stuff, looks like a see through thong as well.

I was just reading on cnnsi about the records set or close to records set, some pretty amazing offense #'s were posted for a supposed defensive battle.

Brady completed the most passes ever and was within 5 passes of the most attempts.

Most combined passing yards for two QB's in a superbowl

Most points in a fourth quarter

Pats were 1 off of the most offensive plays run

Crap....can't recall the others, nothing super mind blowing but very impressive #'s put up by both sides.

JMK
Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:58:05 AM
Record number of lip-syncs in a halftime. ;)
That was totally insulting. I read an article in the paper where people don't care anymore about seeing actual singing as long as there's a lot of pyrotecnics / lights / other things going on. What a bunch of mindless MTV zombies.:rolleyes [/rant]

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:12:46 AM
Well, MTV won't be putting on another halftime show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs03/news/story?id=1724968&partnersite=espn

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.

Timberlake said he did not intend to expose Jackson's breast.

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

It sure looked like she had a pasty on to me. But I haven't looked at any of the pictures of the flash. >_<

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show," Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. "They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.

"It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

MTV issued a contrite statement in which it also apologized, saying the incident was "unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance."

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:48:42 PM
Originally posted by jjwr
Anyone catch the closeup of the streaker? Scary stuff, looks like a see through thong as well.

I was just reading on cnnsi about the records set or close to records set, some pretty amazing offense #'s were posted for a supposed defensive battle.

Brady completed the most passes ever and was within 5 passes of the most attempts.

Most combined passing yards for two QB's in a superbowl

Most points in a fourth quarter

Pats were 1 off of the most offensive plays run

Crap....can't recall the others, nothing super mind blowing but very impressive #'s put up by both sides.

One of the other big ones was the longest touchdown pass in Super Bowl history (Delhomme to Muhammad, 85 yards). Delhomme is one of the few QB's to have put up 300+ yards passing in a Super Bowl and lose. Brady is the youngest QB to have two Super Bowl titles. There's a few other that slip my mind. *shrugs*

Shawn
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:56:51 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I was pretty startled when I was suddenly looking at Janet Jackson's breast on live TV, but I also thought I saw something silvery and shiny that was reflecting the light. Hm, maybe she has a piercing or something :p.

link (/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34175)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:18:38 PM
For those of you who get a "No Permission" page if you try to follow Shawn's link:

The link leads to a thread in the "Supporter Exclusive" forums here at SWFans. For more information regarding gaining access to "Supporter Exclusive Features" read this page (/forum/purchase.php?s=).

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:20:51 PM
Well the halftime show was kind of boring just a bunch of pyrotechnics to me and nothing else of course last years wasn't any better. I read the FCC is investigating, not sure what they can do but fine CBS or something. But they would have to prove that CBS did this on purpose which I think isn't the case.
Back to the game you said Delhomme was one of the few QB's to throw 300 yards and lose, I know Kelly probably did it twice (he has the most attempts in a game as well) not sure of anybody else, Elway perhaps.

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:29:58 PM
I remember reading this one, Delhomme has the 2nd highest yard total in a losing Superbowl, #1....Kurt Warner in 2001 against the Pats.

Also before this game the Pats hadn't given up a 30+ yd TD and gave up 3 of them to the Panthers.

The Delhomme 85yd TD was a record, a very nice one too. I still can't believe they got so wide open on that one.

JMK
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:42:21 PM
Hey, how long before we start seeing Janet Jackson's face on the cover of Enquirer and the Star alleging that she's in a downward spiral of drugs, sex and booze which prompted her SB spectacle? I'm guessing not very long.

I find it remarkable that when the Panthers went ahead, it was the first time the Patriots trailed a team in 8 games. That is amazing.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:45:37 PM
I forgot about Warner. I could swear that Kelly threw for over 300 maybe he is #3 on that list.
Edit
I looked it up in a book I have of the history of the SB. In losing #3 on that list is Marino with 318, and then Elway with 304 in SB 21 against the Giants. I guess Kelly if farther down that list than I thought.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:47:06 PM
I think one of the other stats for the game was that the Panthers had the second longest drive in SB history, going 95 yards. The longest was 96, iirc. :)

Charley
Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:49:49 PM
Best thing about the night (aside from Janet's tit, beer, and whiskey-marinaded ribeyes) were the commercials for the Ford GT.

MOTHER OF GOD

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:05:11 PM
I'm really suprised Kelly never threw for 300, considering he had the record for completions at 31 and over 50 attempts If I'm not mistaken.

A note on the Brady - Montana debate, this is a tidbit from Peter Kings Monday Morning Quarterback columon on CNNSI.Com

10. The ascension of two legends-in-the-making. Bill Belichick, with three or four more very good years, will have my mental vote for the Hall of Fame -- if the guy ever decides to hang 'em up. That's doubtful to happen anytime soon. He's having too much fun, and he's still able to effectively recharge at Nantucket each summer. Brady is 26 years old. He is 6-0 in playoff games, 26-4 in games played in November or later, 7-0 in overtime games, 2-0 in Super Bowls, two-for-two in Super Bowl MVPs. If you seriously think it's premature to compare him to Joe Montana, you are high.

For anyone who really likes football his article is a must read every monday, the guy knows the game and his articles are awesome.

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:16:49 PM
Peter King also called the game "the greatest Super Bowl ever." :rolleyes

He's had a history of hyperbole. Yeah, he's knowledgable, and he's alright to read, but he's also made some bonehead comments at times (like saying Lynn Swan isn't worthy of the Hall of Fame).

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:25:56 PM
Peter King & Dr. Z are the two guys who cover football who I really listen to.

Greatest Superbowl Ever....it definetly ranks up there, considering how bad most of them are it should hit top 10 by default, top 5 easy and then from there the debate is on.

Ryan Pode
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:27:39 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
I think one of the other stats for the game was that the Panthers had the second longest drive in SB history, going 95 yrads. The longest was 96, iirc. :)

Yes. In 86 (?) Superbowl 20. Chicago Bears v. New England Patriots... except the Bears lead by McMahon went on to blow them out like 49 to 3.... or so. Everyone scored in that game, even Fridge.

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:34:02 PM
I'm not sure it would make my top 5 SuperBowls in my lifetime.

I'd rank them

1. XXV
2. XXXII
3. XXIII
4. XXXIV
5. XXXVIII

Okay...it did make the top 5 in my lifetime(or rather since the first SB I watched which was SB XIX). There were some really good games in the 70's though.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:50:47 PM
For me I would rank them this way (I only started watching them in the 80's (about 84) so the ones before that I can't comment on.
1 XXXIV
2 XXIII
3XXXVI
4 XXV
5 XXXVIIII

This ranks top 5 to me the best was the one with the Rams vs Titans that had the best finish that I have ever seen the Titans coming up 1 foot short was just unbelievable. I guess I am biased to SB 23 when Montana brought the Niners back. Then the SB between the Rams and Patriots was just a great game that one ranks above this one.

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:59:04 PM
I wouldn't rank XXXVI in my top 5 because it wasn't a classic game. It had a tremendous ending...one of the best ever. But the game itself wasn't as good until the end. The Patriots dominated play for three and half quarters before the Rams caught fire to tie it.

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:01:48 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Yes. In 86 (?) Superbowl 20. Chicago Bears v. New England Patriots... except the Bears lead by McMahon went on to blow them out like 49 to 3.... or so. Everyone scored in that game, even Fridge.

It was 44-10 I believe. The Fridge scored, but Sweetness did not...one of the great shames in SB history.

Ryan Pode
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:14:52 PM
Yeah. I've never actually seen the entire bowl, but I've seen enough.. mostly because I wasn't born yet.

Superbowl XXXV is my favorite...

Sanis Prent
Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:09:08 PM
I appreciated that it wasn't some lame, offensive-driven shoot-out.

You might call it "boring", but I call it a defensive game. Thats the kind of football that I like.

Ryan Pode
Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:29:54 PM
It was kind of both. I mean, 27 minutes of pure defense, then a 3 minute whoopin' for everyone, then another struggle for a quarter, then just the high octane last ten minutes or so. Very pleasing to watch. Lot of suspense and drama... a good game.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:15:03 PM
The last 33 minutes of the game was a shootout. I actually perfer offense games but that is my opinion.

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:31:01 PM
I like defensive warsthe best. To each his own.

jjwr
Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:35:27 PM
Well they've announced that it was indeed on purpose, though they didn't intend to tear the entire outfit off, just the leather covering on top, leaving a red lace bodice underneath.

I'm not even sure I believe that, what would be the big deal of a red bodice...ooh....exciting, regardless of the fine for Jackson & Timberlake they're getting more free publicity for this and it will justify the cost for them.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:53:08 PM
They did get a fine? How much?

JMK
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:00:43 PM
Well I guess I was partly right and party wrong. The look on Jackson's face at the SB was like "Uh oh, something's not right".
But it would seem like something was definetly planned. I hope something happens to them because if not we can look forward to many more stunts like this being pulled by fading pop tarts looking to spark their sales & career.

Figrin D'an
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:12:50 PM
The FCC seems intent upon doing something about the situation, given the recent string of "taboos" being said/shown on network TV over the past couple of months.

*shrugs*

darth_mcbain
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:32:34 PM
I love how they're calling it a "wardrobe malfunction". A euphamism like that is worthy of George Carlin... :lol

I think that is just ridiculous, though, that they pulled a stunt like that at the Superbowl. I agree with you, JMK - it doesn't seem like people care anymore about musical talent - all they want is something shocking.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:21:34 PM
^
^
^ I agree with all three of you. Malfunction or not, to show anyone ripping off a part of someone else's clothing (and it had to be that part??) during a 'show' that for many is a family affair, spoke of non-consideration and thoughtlessness.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:33:46 AM
But a government investigation is just silly it isn't like somebody got hurt. They make this seems like Watergate or something.

Charley
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:13:18 AM
But a government investigation is just silly it isn't like somebody got hurt. They make this seems like Watergate or something.

Because the government only intervenes when people get hurt.

FCC = Gurus over the airwaves = decide content for networks/cable.

Flag on the play indeed.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:47:17 PM
But the most they can do is slap them on the wrist to me they are making a mountain out of a molehill. I just wish this whole thing would go away there are more important things to worry about.

Figrin D'an
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:53:16 PM
But the most they can do is slap them on the wrist to me they are making a mountain out of a molehill. I just wish this whole thing would go away there are more important things to worry about.

It's not just thing particular incident. It's a pattern of behavior over the past several months that the FCC finds inappropriate for network TV. The Super Bowl halftime show was just the final straw.

Whether we see it as a lot of hot air about nothing or not, the FCC does have regulations. They can't just ignore them for the sake of ignoring them.

Darth007
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:52:28 PM
Now NBC affiliates are deciding whether to air the new episode of ER which shows an elderly woman's breast. :x

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 4th, 2004, 02:30:59 PM
Im all for keeping network tv clean. Let the cable and dish shows air what they want.

Ryan Pode
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:31:04 PM
I concur, Daiq. I remember the days when you couldn't say the 7 words you can't say on TV... now you can say 6.

Darth007
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:49:17 PM
I know, Im not disagreeing with their decision, I'm just saying that everyone is trying to push the limits and its getting out of hand. Everyone is so desperate for that extra $$$. I think its pretty obvious by now that sex doesn't sell.

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:05:45 PM
I disagree. I think networks and cable should both be allowed to show whatever they want. However, a little notice in advance re: content would be a good idea.

I doubt many people watching the Superbowl were expecting a side of floppy titties with that order. Especially families with kids. A heads-up on programming will allow good parents to continue to be good parents.

Darth007
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:11:16 PM
Yeah I guess you're right, show what you want but make the content obvious. But then again, it would real easy for a little kid, even 4 years old, to be flipping through the channels and find some soft porn or whatever since parents cant monitor 24/7.

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:15:23 PM
Thats why you teach kids respect & obedience.

On the other foot, how well will a pornographic prime time slot on network TV do, when shows in those slots cater to the family demographic?

Not well.

If it doesn't do well, it doesn't sell. Money talks, and IMO, that should be the real motivation here.

Jedieb
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:31:30 PM
I had to spend half of Monday morning warning a room full of 10 year olds NOT to talk about the halftime show. Thanks a bunch Janet. One of the best Superbowl games ever and all anyone is talking about is your silicon implants. Couldn't you have saved the cheap stunt for where it belongs, the MTV video awards show?

Doc Milo
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:09:57 PM
The NFL and CBS have to be partly to blame for this. You hire MTV to do a halftime show -- you hire the likes of Kid Rock, Nellie, Janet Jackson, and Justin Timberlake -- what do you expect to get? A patriotic celebration of Traditional America? If you do, then you haven't been paying attention to what these no-talent hacks have going for them (for it certainly isn't musical talent.)

You don't buy the National Enquirerer if you want serious news -- you don't hire MTV if you want good music. You hire them for sex and shock.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:25:47 PM
You mean there was a football game? You wouldnt know it, reading the papers here. Usually the Suprabog rates maybe page 50. But this time - page three, plastic tits out.

Really.... why is this news and why should I care what has been is doing?

Charley
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:36:59 PM
Originally posted by Doc Milo
The NFL and CBS have to be partly to blame for this. You hire MTV to do a halftime show -- you hire the likes of Kid Rock, Nellie, Janet Jackson, and Justin Timberlake -- what do you expect to get? A patriotic celebration of Traditional America? If you do, then you haven't been paying attention to what these no-talent hacks have going for them (for it certainly isn't musical talent.)

You don't buy the National Enquirerer if you want serious news -- you don't hire MTV if you want good music. You hire them for sex and shock.

Say what you will about the others, but leave Kid Rock out of it. You've obviously never been to one of his concerts.

Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
You mean there was a football game? You wouldnt know it, reading the papers here. Usually the Suprabog rates maybe page 50. But this time - page three, plastic tits out.

Really.... why is this news and why should I care what has been is doing?

Troll a football thread!

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:40:37 PM
Troll a football thread!

Did you miss my point? I dont think Gridiron is real football and frankly, I wouldnt usually bother with even readign the thread. But this Jackson tits out has gone majorily too far.

Millions of Americans, among them many children, have been exposed to the horror of seeing a naked female breast on prime-time television.

I do hope a few hours of the usual violence and crime will help them recover from the shock.

Charley
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:43:47 PM
Did you miss my point?

Suprabog

No, I don't think I did.

Millions of Americans, among them many children, have been exposed to the horror of seeing a naked female breast on prime-time television.

I do hope a few hours of the usual violence and crime will help them recover from the shock.

As per usual, your wonderful social commentary is welcomed and applauded. You have once again helped us poor Americans see the light. When will you find the praise you duly deserve?

JMK
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:47:15 PM

Couldn't agree more. Each and every one of those people are seriously desperate people who's only "talents" are acting lewd and pretending to perform when in reality they're not doing much more than either pimping or stripping.

Eowiodith Unadrieniel
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:04:42 AM
Can I say something? Thanks. I just think that when Janet JACKSON is performing, you have to expect something. Not to say that it's ok or anything, but c'mon, her brother IS Michael Jackson. And I stand with Charley about Kid Rock, he was the only one worth listening.

Charley
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:10:56 AM
I've seen Kid Rock do things on stage that would give most decent musicians fits to attempt. The man has an insane amount of talent. He can sing multiple genres, he can rap, he can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, any instrument on stage, and do so as good as his band, if not better. During one song at his concert, I saw him do just that. He went around the stage, taking instruments from his band members, playing an extended solo, and returning the instruments back to them, all without missing so much as a single beat.

You may not like his music, and that's fine & all. Different strokes for different folks. But you can't say that he's a no-talent hack. He's got the gift, more than most musicians I can think of.

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:16:05 AM
Originally posted by Charley
The man has an insane amount of talent. He can sing multiple genres, he can rap, he can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, any instrument on stage, and do so as good as his band, if not better. During one song at his concert, I saw him do just that. He went around the stage, taking instruments from his band members, playing an extended solo, and returning the instruments back to them, all without missing so much as a single beat.

Kind of like a certain other pimping artist whom someone is currently using as his avatar. ;)

That's why I can respect Kid Rock. He is a real musician, and has, as Charley said, an awful lot of talent. Kind of like Prince.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:17:03 AM
Did you miss my point? I dont think Gridiron is real football and frankly, I wouldnt usually bother with even readign the thread. But this Jackson tits out has gone majorily too far.

Just re-reading, just let me clarify something. No, Aussies dont care about Gridiron, fine.

What is my comment is that the coverage of this boob out 'scandal' has gone waaaaaaaaay too far. You'ld think Jackson killed someone with the amount of press columns being written. It's really like... yeah, and? She flashed her boob. I'm sure there's much worse to complain and talk about.

JMK
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:32:40 AM
You're right, there probably is alot more important things to talk about. But north america is a place that is completely obsessed with celebrity and scandal. This is THE topic of the day now, like it or not.
No, Jackson did not kill anyone, but what she did was pretty awful if you ask me. There were young kids watching this show and this is what people are upset about. Nudity and lewd acts are everywhere today. Did they have to go and infect the superbowl as well? Some families just wanted to 3 hours of refuge from this stuff and watch a football game as a family and they weren't even granted that. There's absolutely no reason conceivable on earth (her own publicity and wealth aside) why she needed to do that. It was totally selfish of her to pull a stunt like that. If she really needed to get naked I can guarantee that Hugh would have reserved her 8 pages in his next issue.
When you break it down, yes, it was just a boob. All women have them. The way it was presented however was just flat out perverted and bordering on porno. It sets a lousy precedent for young minds. Would you allow your kids to watch porn, because the way this was treated by Jackson and Timberlake, porn is the next logical step. She can apologize all she wants, the damage is done and she got exactly what she wanted and probably couldn't be happier right now. She's going to sell a few thousand more copies now.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:45:05 AM
I have to say, I find it ironic that you begin by describing how North America is obsessed with celebrity and scandal, then follow that up with a paragraph and a half on the topic of a celebrity scandal.

jjwr
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:59:00 AM
Wow this thread has exploded. I do feel its gotten a bit too much plublicty, like the whole streaker thing if you don't give it huge amounts of credit then it will fade away, people making a huge deal out of it are only giving Jackson & Timberlake more and more publicity.

Network TV, prime time, most watched program of the year, definetly the wrong time to pull a stunt like that and the FCC is within its rights to try and reign this type of behaviour in.

I wouldn't say its the NFL's fault because they had MTV produce the show, MTV was just as unaware of this as everyone else. Its on live TV and as such you need to have a measure of professionalism from those who are in the show, obviously that was lacking.

As for the boobie itself and the plastic/silicone references. I'd have to say no way, too small and floppy to be fake. I would most definetly have to say real :)

JMK
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:36:39 AM
Originally posted by Evil Hobgoblin
I have to say, I find it ironic that you begin by describing how North America is obsessed with celebrity and scandal, then follow that up with a paragraph and a half on the topic of a celebrity scandal.

I never said that I wasn't interested or had no opinion on the topic. Fact is, anyone can get hot over something like this Jackson whereas some, actually a lot of people don't even follow politics or the news and therefore would have no real opinion to offer.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:40:22 PM
The problem people are having with Kid rock is he wore the flag as a poncho I have heard some people having more problems with that then the Jackson bit. Seriously though I wish this thing would vanish it is extremely silly and not anything that deserves this kind of attention.

Doc Milo
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:45:36 PM
I personally am more upset about Timberlake reaching over and ripping off Jackson's clothing than the exposure of a breast on national TV. In context -- a story where nudity is needed for advancement of plot or character -- I find nothing wrong with nudity. Even on network TV as long as it has content warning so that parents can make informed decisions on whether or not to let their kids watch the show.

It's nudity for the sake of nudity, or shock, or to merely sell something (like showing a naked breast for no reason related to the story, but just to sell people on watching the show) that I have a problem with it. This "flashing" was wrong in more than one way: First, it has no place at a football game. If a non-celebrity woman had taken off her shirt in the stands she'd have been arrested for indecent exposure! Second, it was more than an act of "flashing" it was more an act of violence (imitated violence of course) wherein Timberlake is the one to rip off Jackson's shirt. What does a parent say to his or her seven year old son who goes up to his sister and says, "Look, I'm Justin Timberlake" and procedes to attempt to rip the shirt off of her? How do you explain the wrongness of that act when he's just seen a celebrity do it on national TV during the Superbowl?

And I can blame MTV because I don't believe for a second that they were just as much in the dark about it. On their website last week there was a quote from one of Jackson's people telling how something "shocking" was going to happen at the halftime show of the superbowl. MTV and CBS and the NFL didn't bother to try to find out what that "something shocking" was?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:11:17 PM
They claim the shocking moment was Timberlake he was suppose to appear. I don't know really and I guess I don't care I just wish it all go away I hate hearing the most comments about the SB being this is it is just horrible to me especially since it was such a great game.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:30:52 PM
Lingerie Bowl > Janet's exposed breast.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:32:33 PM
Originally posted by Doc Milo
On their website last week there was a quote from one of Jackson's people telling how something "shocking" was going to happen at the halftime show of the superbowl. MTV and CBS and the NFL didn't bother to try to find out what that "something shocking" was?

Maybe they thought Janet Jackson was going to do a dance routine that didn't look like EVERY dance routine she did, meaning a clone of what Michael Jackson was doing 15 years ago? ;)

Sanis Prent
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:32:07 PM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
Lingerie Bowl > Janet's exposed breast.

Dammit, I knew I missed something.