PDA

View Full Version : So, you use Internet Explorer?

Figrin D'an
Jan 29th, 2004, 02:31:56 AM
I'm repost this here, because I know many of you in this forum don't frequent the OOC forum. Basically, please check out this (http://69.56.186.201/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34107) thread, related to a massive security hole in Microsoft's IE 6.

A lot of you know that Microsoft seems to find a new security hole just about every week. As annoying as those are, they can be patched and you can generally avoid trouble if you run Windows Update regularly. This latest one, however, may be unfixable. It's a problem that cropped up in previous versions of IE, and there was never any fix developed, because it's so deeply embedded in the program. Supposedly, it was fixed with the release of IE 6. Looks like that wasn't true.

Essentially, if you use IE, any version, it'll be a good idea to stop. In the other thread, I have posted links to other browsers you can download and begin using instead. My personal recommedation is Firebird. It's lean, fast, efficient, and has nice security features, along with built-in pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing. But, at this point, anything is better than IE.

[End Public Service Annoucement]

Mu Satach
Jan 29th, 2004, 03:48:41 AM
Thankfully the latest version of Firebird works for everything my users need... just one more reason to tell them not to use IE.

Syo
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:16:53 PM
mozilla's not too bad if ya want to switch to that