PDA

View Full Version : Threepio's Function

darth_mcbain
Jan 28th, 2004, 10:26:58 AM
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I was just thinking about it the other day...

C-3PO always introduces himself as "C-3PO, Human-Cyborg Relations". That would tend to imply that one of his primary functions is to faciliate communications between humans and cyborgs.

The thing is, though, there sure aren't many cyborgs in the SW universe. At the moment I can only think of 3 (possibly 4). Vader, Lobot, Wat Tambor, and if Ep. III rumors are to be believed, a certain character in the new movie. So it doesn't seem like there is much chance for Threepio to put his Human-Cyborg relations into practice.

Even though there may not be much chance for him to serve this purpose, it is interesting in that it has a certain sense of foreshadowing. Anakin (human) builds Threepio, and Anakin becomes Vader (cyborg).

I don't know - just some random thoughts... Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 28th, 2004, 10:37:55 AM
I thought cyborg implied all sorts of "cyber-organisms", meaning regular droids and bots too. He spends most of his screen time relating R2D2, after all. That's why he can speak so many languages - so he can translate anything.

JMK
Jan 28th, 2004, 11:02:45 AM
I had never paid any attention to it. 3P0 was always more of a translator between humans and other species. I had always chalked up his human-cyborg relations title to GL wanting to make a fancy designation for him.

darth_mcbain
Jan 28th, 2004, 11:05:46 AM
You both make good points. I think this is probably another case of reading too much into something. That's what we all do so well... :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 28th, 2004, 11:10:36 AM
The movies are almost over. We need pedantic little things like this to keep the forums going :p

Figrin D'an
Jan 28th, 2004, 11:28:29 AM
Makes one wonder just how dead this particular forum will be, say, 12-18 months after Episode III opens.

Unless the silly rumors about VII-IX keep it going.

darth_mcbain
Jan 28th, 2004, 12:00:33 PM
Well, hopefully SW will go on in some non-movie fashion, maybe as a cartoon a la Clone Wars... There will always be the EU and books. But you're right - things will definitely slow down...:cry

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 28th, 2004, 12:21:32 PM
And then you'll just have to give in and join us Roleplayers >D

JMK
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:46:38 PM
You won't come knocking on our doors like Jehovah witnesses* to get us in there will you? ;)

*no offense intended to Jehovah's Witnesses. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 31st, 2004, 08:36:09 PM
*knocks on your door*

...JOIN US

Pierce Tondry
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:25:31 PM
Join the Saturn family.

A different kind of company. A different kind of car. [/zombie]

Morgan Evanar
Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:15:29 AM
^and have said interior degrade at a frightening rate in less than two years.

SHIFT_passion
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
*knocks on your door*

...JOIN US DIE.

Doc Milo
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:58:21 PM
I never thought of the line as meaning "human-cyborg relations" as relations between humans and cyborgs.

I always thought of it as a descriptor of the type of droid or the classification of droid he is. He looks like a human -- structurewise -- yet is a cyborg so Threepio himself is a "human cyborg" type of droid. "Relations" would then be his function.

So, when he introduces himself, I always heard him saying it this way: "I am C-3PO. Human Cyborg. Relations." As in "Designation. Classification. Function."

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:25:48 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
DIE.

You mean Rpers shouldn't recruit like that?