PDA

View Full Version : Miracle

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:01:12 PM
I just saw a sneak peek showing of the new movie "Miracle," about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

It was great. More than great, it was fantastic. If you like hockey, or the olympics, or even just that time period in global history at all, go see Miracle. Even though you may already know the outcome of the end (as it's a true story) the movie manages to hold your interest and build up a tremendous amount of 'on-the-edge-of-your-seat" excitement.

:thumbup:thumbup

JMK
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:35:45 PM
As much as I'd like to see it, I may end up staying away. Far away. Hockey movies NEVER capture the on-ice action properly. Instead they always make the play on the ice completely unlike what hockey is. Especially on defense. Defenseman are always standing still and diving in desperation and generally looking as though it was their first time on the ice.

This movie is a fantastic story worth seeing by anyone, but I'm afraid the action always makes me cringe. Remember the Mighty Ducks and the 'flying V' formation? :lol

Is it the same with this movie LD or did they finally get it right? Now I know you're a fan, so my $10 is hinging on whether or not you tell me the action is done properly.

No pressure. ;)

ReaperFett
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:39:07 PM
Originally posted by JMK

This movie is a fantastic story worth seeing by anyone, but I'm afraid the action always makes me cringe. Remember the Mighty Ducks and the 'flying V' formation? :lol

Don't you dare diss the Knuckleduster ;)

JMK
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:42:37 PM
:lol

Sorry sir. Didn't mean any disrespect.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:11:27 PM
JMK - I'd have to say YES the action is done properly.

The screening I went to was put on by the local WHL team, the Portland Winterhawks, and the tickets were given away on their website. All the people there were either hockey players/team staff, or fans of the Winterhawks.

Everyone liked it, and there was lots of clapping and cheering at the appropriate times. Miracle is a great movie. Please don't stay away!!

JMK
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:32:46 PM
Ok, on your word I'll give it a chance. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:34:20 PM
Actually a few former Winterhawks had bit parts in the movie, playing some of the more minor roles.

Eluna Thals
Jan 27th, 2004, 09:05:51 PM
I'm worried that this is going to be a bit too jingoistic for my tastes, so I'm not sure if I want to see it.

Rognan Dar
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:43:42 PM
I would recommend that everyone go see it. Let me tell you, I was not a hockey fan going into this movie. Sure I have been going to a few games with Lil and just starting to really see things. But when I was watching the movie (not to mention that it was great) it really hit me as something that I could start liking.

For me, it was a great movie. Not that I am a expert on hockey action, but I think it was done really well. I am now a hockey fan and most likely will get stuck in the currant.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 28th, 2004, 01:25:04 AM
I literally was on the edge of my seat in 1980 while watching this drama unfold before me on television.

As good as it might be re-told, I dont think this movie can even begin to touch the real life thrill of seeing it myself. Im afraid it would be anti-climatic :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 31st, 2004, 12:44:32 PM
I really want to see this film when it comes. I was way too young to understand what was going on in 1980 so I would like to see it for that. The trailers look great it looks it could be a very good movie.

Teleran Balades
Jan 31st, 2004, 05:59:13 PM
I wonder how similar it will be to the actual game in 1980. I hope they don't use the Mighty Ducks style of stunts. Being a hockey player myself, I just can't stand to see the flow and form of the game to be mutilated.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 31st, 2004, 07:40:24 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
JMK - I'd have to say YES the action is done properly.

The screening I went to was put on by the local WHL team, the Portland Winterhawks, and the tickets were given away on their website. All the people there were either hockey players/team staff, or fans of the Winterhawks.

Everyone liked it, and there was lots of clapping and cheering at the appropriate times. Miracle is a great movie. Please don't stay away!!

It is *not* anything like the Mighty Ducks.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:49:57 PM
The Mighty Ducks is a kids movie it is like comparing the Bad News Bears to Field of Dreams, IMO.

ReaperFett
Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:14:37 PM
Ah, but is it better than Slapshot? Classic comedy :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:51:41 PM
I saw it tonight it was a very good movie. Having not lived the events (I was a baby at the time) it was interesting seeing how it all transpired. The acting (particularly) Kurt Russell was great Russell did one of his best jobs in years. I also really enjoyed the hockey action they did a great job in showing it, I loved the camera work.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:46:30 AM
Glad to hear you liked it, Carr :)