PDA

View Full Version : woohoo, another WORM...

Figrin D'an
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:20:29 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/27/mydoom.spread/index.html

It amazes me how stupid people are... after all of the warnings put out by network security gurus, software companies, and IT people, there are still some people whom just understand the dangers of email attachments. It's like touching hot stove, pulling one's hand away, then touching it again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Anyway, here's warning to anyone whom didn't know about this one. It's been spreading quickly. Don't contribute to the cause.

ReaperFett
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:23:00 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an

It amazes me how stupid people are... after all of the warnings put out by network security gurus, software companies, and IT people, there are still some people whom just understand the dangers of email attachments. It's like touching hot stove, pulling one's hand away, then touching it again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It isn't stupidity. Not everyone HEARS those people. My sister goes online, chats on MSN, sends e-mails, looks at sites related to her intrests, goes offline. If me and my dad didn't warn her, how would she know?

Figrin D'an
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:32:28 PM
Individual users aren't the major factor in the spread such things. It's business networks. People running on said networks get warnings all the time from their own IT departments, yet many still do exactly what they are told to guard against. That's the basis of my rant.

ReaperFett
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:37:55 PM
Ah right, then I agree.

AmazonBabe
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:56:32 PM
The worm -- dubbed "MyDoom," "Novarg" or "WORM_MIMAIL.R" -- was copying itself at a fierce pace, so fast that some companies were having to shut down their mail servers to stop it. And a new clue was emerging as to the source of the infection.

Yeah... at about 4pm PDT, Raytheon shut down it's e-mail servers to battle the worm and load up even MORE securities. It gave a lot of ppl an excuse to leave work early. :D

Figrin D'an
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:00:31 PM
lol... that's a pretty cheap excuse...

"Oh no, I can't send email anymore today. Well, better go home then."

:rolleyes

AmazonBabe
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:04:01 PM
Well, I actually didn't go home till my time of 5pm. But some others were skipping out early, while others were running around in a panic because they couldn't send e-mail.

It was somewhat comical.

"Gee... ever heard of internal company MAIL? Or how bout just walking three doors down to the person you wish to speak to? Phone maybe?"

:lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:21:05 PM
Ahhhhh......... damn swear filter.

>_<

This is not what I needed.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:16:17 PM
My company got hit with it too...should be all cleaned up as it happened yesterday. My business email had like 9 infected emails in it...got rid of them safely myself. ^_^;

Ace McCloud
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:52:02 PM
Stupid question of the thread, what's SCO?

Ace McCloud
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:54:31 PM
Web-monitoring firm Keynote said MyDoom slowed Internet performance significantly Monday afternoon. And the worm appeared to cause an "uptick in terms of performance" Tuesday morning, said Keynote analyst Roopak Patel.

Indeed, I noticed. It must of hit comcast servers hard. I could hardly access the internet last night at all. Then at about 12 it was fine.

Mu Satach
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:58:01 PM
SCO is a Linux company based in UT that has succeeded in incuring the wrath of Linux user's world wide.

For those new to the drama
http://www.slweekly.com/editorial/2004/feat_2004-01-22.cfm