PDA

View Full Version : Rotoscoping, and the evils of it.

Zeke
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:10:10 PM
For one of my classes this quarter, I have a rotoscoping project.

What rotoscoping is, is this: You take live action film, break it down into frames, print off the frames, then trace them. What you get is an animated version of said live-action footage. I have 150 frames to trace. Luckily, I only have to trace the character that's going through his motions; nothing else. The problem is this.

The prints have to be in black and white. Without good contrast, the lighttable smudges it all up and you can't see what to trace. My images had good contrast up until frame 5, where suddenly the character became one with his background. Up until that, everthing was hunky dory. So now I'm waiting on Premiere to re-export my frames with what I hope will be better contrast, so I can print them off and begin tracing. It takes an hour for the frames to export, and longer still for them to print. I am not a happy camper.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:27:12 PM
I see. I feel sorry for you. What live action frames are you using?

Tear
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:05:56 PM
I drew 50 frames of animation on tuesday..i feel for ya

Zeke
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:56:41 PM
I'm doing a section of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master. It's the first kata he performs after they begin teaching him drunken-style kung fu.

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:16:26 PM
I'll trade projects with you.

I'm currently doing a 30 page business analysis and strategic consultation for Avon.

Lenore
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:56:16 PM
LOL....that sounds fair Sanis ....I did rotoscoping several quarters ago...yes it does suck...we had to film ourselves acting as our own character...then print it out and draw it. 2D animation is why I am now a Graphic Designer :p