PDA

View Full Version : BT help? something got fuxed

Zasz Grimm
Jan 19th, 2004, 10:32:22 PM
so, I downloaded this p2p client program called shareaza. It was great while I used it, but I was just so used to k-lite+++ I deleted it. However, I was unaware it associated itself with bitorrents.

I've uninstalled and deleted the folder, but the program still associates itself, and it has it's own torrent thing, so when I run a torrent I have to do it manually, isntead of it's own auto run. It's a hassle, is all. I like Shadows client to pop up when I use a torrent.

any help I can get to return BT back to the default torrent user?

Crystal
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:33:27 PM
Save a .torrent to your HD, then right click>open with... select btdownloadgui from the list that pops up(if it's not there, click browse and go to the folder it's installed in and click the .exe) and check the little box at the bottom that says "always open with this program" or something along those lines and click OK

Zasz Grimm
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:44:08 PM
problem is im on 98, i don't see an open with option when i right click, and when I do, it makes it want to use Shareaza...it also then prompts me to locate shareaza.exe

so i tell it to use btdownloadgui, from the bit torrent folder, and it wont use it.

this sux.

Crystal
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:09:39 AM
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-003

Change a file association on the fly

Windows 95/98:

* Hold Shift while right-clicking on a file, and select Open With....

So.. try holding shift?

Zasz Grimm
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:21:57 AM
ossum, it worked, now i'd like to find a way to return the torrent to it's original icon

not like that matters, tho. thx crystal.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:01:36 PM
Remove the file association completely then re-install your BT client is my suggestion. Fucked up file type associations in Win9X/Me OSes are a bugger to fix any other way.

To remove the file association completely open a "My Computer" window, click 'View' - 'Folder Options' then the ''File Types' tab. Scrool through the list of file types until you find the one for BitTorrent or Torrent (I'm not sure which the OS will list it as. Click the type and then click remove.

After that is done re-install your regular BT client to re-associate it with torrent files.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:48:02 PM
thanks ogre. worked like a charm.