PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Caucaus

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:50:04 PM
Not sure how many people are following this but the Iowa Caucaus is going on tonight and it looks John Kerry is going to win the Caucaus
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/19/elec04.prez.main/index.html
What a comeback for him he was considered dead two weeks ago and most thought he was going anywhere. The other surprise is Dean is third with 18% and Edwards is second. Now this does give Kerry the nomination but it helps him as he is a strong candidate now going into New Hampshire. I think what is hurting Dean is electablility people don't see him as electable which will hurt him in the end IMO.

CMJ
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:51:09 PM
I think the major story is Edwards. He was in single digits two weeks ago. Personally, I believe he may be the only Democrat that can defeat Bush.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:26:58 PM
I think Kerry could too being a vetern, Clark is a maybe he is no political experience which hurts him. I actually like Kerry not sure if that is because I was born up in Mass or not.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:50:46 PM
Having just watched Edwards Speak I have to say he has a lot of charisma (maybe it is the ex lawyer coming through) he would be good challenger against Bush. I have to say the opposite of Dean he acted like he had just won and he acted like a total fool/jerk to me. Earth to Dean they voted against you because you can't win. I can't stand Dean for various reasons. Sure I consider myself a democrat (a moderate democrat) but Dean just annoys me I also think he is too liberal and would be another Mondale or McGovern.

JediBoricua
Jan 19th, 2004, 10:42:15 PM
What a night of surprises.

This has really changed the panorama for the next couple of weeks.

First of all Dean is out of the race IMO. He needed to win, and win big to show that he was 'electable' and that he had the momentum. This is a punch to the stomach for his campaign. The money will stop, so will the ads and the constant media focus on his campaign. I think his main problem, other than 'electability', was the fact that he peaked to early, and that by receiving all those endorsements he moved from being the rebel against an outdated Dem. Party to become the 'establishment' candidate.

To Kerry this is an obvious big boost, but it doesn't mean that much because he has to beat a very strong Clark in NH. Kerry is running his campaign on his 'Nam record, but Clark is a general, so he has him beat there, IMO. Kerry now must move and monopolize the media and dictate the issues.

Edwards is really intriguing. The more I know about him the more I like him. This might be sacrilegeous to say, but he has a 'JFK' aura. He's young, attractive, has runned a positive and upbeat campaign, and out of the blue finished a strong second. He will be interesting to watch, and IMO has assured at least the VP nom (who wouldn't want him as a running mate?).

Now on a side note, let me rant a little. YOU AMERICANS DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE A GOOD POLITICAL RALLY.

You might not know this, but my uncle is running for governor here in Puerto Rico and if he ever did a rally like the ones I've seen the press will not even consider him a contender.

Here rallies or 'mitins' (yeah derived from meeting) are outdoors, with huge crowds waving hundres of flags and with music being pumped by a couple dozen speakers. You will never see the candidate wearing a suit and tie, candidates here were short sleeve or roll their long sleeves and untie their ties. They are sweaty, active, they shout, they dance and obviously they jump from the stage and hug, kiss, grab, shake as many people as possible.

It is really a sight to be seen. ;)

Sanis Prent
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:04:23 PM
Ugh. Of the entire Dem ticket, I like Kerry the least. I hate that guy.

CMJ
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:17:16 PM
Dean's speech was laughable. Honestly, it was one of the worst speeches I've ever heard. If he somehow wins NH and the nomination I see a Mondale type defeat(i.e. 20 point loss and just about every state).

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040120/i/r1692326033.jpg

Can you say FIELD DAY?!!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:53:27 PM
LOL yeah that speech was horrible I can't stand Dean. What was really laughable on CNN Harkin said that Mike Dukakis finished third in Iowa and won the nod. I thought you are comparing him to Dukakis??? Who lost to Bush Sr, are you nuts. Dean won't get anywhere IMO people will see this speech and not want him for the democratic nominee. To me it is between Kerry, Edwards and Clark. One of those three will get nominated. I wouldn't mind seeing a Clark-Edwards ticket or Kerry-Edwards ticket. To me those are perfect combos.

CMJ
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:00:30 AM
On MSNBC they were having a field day. Even the Democratic strategist was embarrased for Dean. The best was Joe Scarborough, who said that it was the worst speech he'd heard since Quale accepted the VP nomination in New Orleans.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:14:42 AM
I liked Alan Simpson on CNN he said Dean looked like a prarie dog on speed. Bill Schnider said he was waiting for him to burst a blood vessel. Does Dean always do this or does he show rare occasions to show his rage like when he loses?

CMJ
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:17:00 AM
Well Chris Matthews said he thought Dean was gonna stroke out onstage. Dean's main asset is his passion and fire and brimstone speeches. This is why his followers love him to death. It's also why he's unelectable.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:19:06 AM
I think it will keep him from getting nominated too. Heck if he gets nominated even though I am a democrat I wouldn't vote for him. He is the worst democratic candidate since Dukakis in 88

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:24:37 AM
Also what about Richard Gephardt? What an awful way to end his political career (unless he takes a job in a future democratic president's administration) I felt for sad for the man, he is a very good guy and has always done good things for this country.

CMJ
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:29:49 AM
I think Gephardt would have made a lousy nominee, but I woulda liked to him going out with a bit more dignity. He was trounced in a Union state. That is just sad.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:32:11 AM
Yeah I agree he is not a good nominee his exit was just sad I don't think he should have run, he should have stayed in the US rep where he was best.

CMJ
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:36:54 AM
Well, he was trying to follow the Bob Dole model(old Congress warhorse finally becomes party nominee). Even though Dole got slammed for being a pretty weak candidate that didn't inspire much passion - I thought he was decent.

Unfortunately for Gephardt, I find him totally lacking of energy. Listening to him campaign is like the complete opposite of Dean...he puts you to sleep. I'm sorta surprised he's been able to hold his house seat for so long honestly.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:57:23 AM
I think he is very popular in that part of Missouri, he is a good man, although he is a little dull. I actually think Liberman is duller he put me to sleep really fast.

Darth Viscera
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:14:27 AM
wow, howard dean really blew a gasket

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:22:16 AM
And along with the blown gasket, he blew up his campaign.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:29:34 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
And along with the blown gasket, he blew up his campaign.

Thank God, he's the man that would have scared quite a few outside of the USA for the wrong reasons. I rather liek the sounds of Clark. Hope he does well.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:50:17 PM
Yeah I think Dean would mess things up worse than Bush partly because he has never done anything in international politics. Clark and Kerry both have more experience and I think they both would make good presidents.

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:52:33 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
wow, howard dean really blew a gasket

I think he has a job in the WWE waiting for him :D

JMK
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:18:29 PM
I think he has a job in the WWE waiting for him

They've already got a geezer named Ric Flair blowing gaskets every week.

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:24:16 PM
Yeah, but he's probably older. Dean would be considered young blood ;)