PDA

View Full Version : British English vs American English

Kria'thn Ki
Jan 17th, 2004, 04:42:26 PM
When I start rping somewhere, I usually have a crisis of conscience when it comes to the differences between written English, in England and written English in the US.

Spelling is a big point, for instance I’ve just written ‘armour’ as opposed to ‘armor’ in one of my threads. As from my point of view that is the correct spelling.

What I was wondering was whether other English people try to use the American way of spelling something, on a mostly American board. Say for example:

Recognise, Colour – Recognize, Color

Maybe its just me but I get caught up on these little differences.

http://esl.about.com/library/weekly/aa110698.htm

Has some pretty good examples, strange how many differences there are :)

And

http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/blbritam.htm

Actually has a vocabulary converter for the various different words :)

Tear
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:06:58 PM
mm Try being Canadian and living right next to the yankees..

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:11:17 PM
It doesnt bother me at all but it does help at times in pinpointing the author of a post, if you dont know whose behind a certain character.

I can usually pick out the Brits that way :)

Alpha
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:14:50 PM
I really don't mind Brit English. :) In fact, I rather like some of the spellings.

Silus Xilarian
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:37:09 PM
what you should do, is keep a count on how many times you spell words like "Armour' and 'colour' over the next year. That way you'll know just how many times you've used the letter 'U' needlessly. :)

Droo
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:42:51 PM
I'm British and I write in what you would call British English. I'm glad you made this thread because you've just solved a dilemma of mine; I had become confused with regards to how words like "organise" should be spelled. I never thought that when I saw words like "recognize" that it was the American version of the word. Now that's cleared up I'm happy. Yet another example of how the Americans have butchered our wonderful language. :mneh

Darth Viscera
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:57:12 PM
I alternate between spelling it "recognise" and "recognize", because you lousy britons have had such a bad influence on me that I can't remember how to spell words like that properly :p

imported_Eve
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:00:44 PM
Generally, we took out some uneeded words. ;P

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:07:43 PM
Originally posted by Eve
Generally, we took out some uneeded words. ;P
Like (Insert word that doesnt apply to a sterotypical American here)?

:D ;)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:08:43 PM
9 times out of 10, I can tell a Jenny post if she uses the word 'span' to indicate her char spun on his/her heels. :mischief

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:08:08 AM
There's no 'British English' - it's Queens English, or English. :p

Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
9 times out of 10, I can tell a Jenny post if she uses the word 'span' to indicate her char spun on his/her heels. :mischief

... am I doing something wrong? ^_^;

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:24:39 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
There's no 'British English' - it's Queens English, or English. :p

hehe. Damn Straight:D

The thing I could never get round was calling Maths, Math, it just seems wierd, I know its only 1 letter but it just dosen't make sense to me:huh

imported_Darriann Sollak
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:26:26 AM
It doesn't really matter that much as long as you get the point across, eh. I'm Canadian so it doesn't bother me.

Darth Viscera
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:42:41 AM
Originally posted by CrimsonDiablo
hehe. Damn Straight:D

The thing I could never get round was calling Maths, Math, it just seems wierd, I know its only 1 letter but it just dosen't make sense to me:huh

Math, not maths. Math is always singular, sort of like "jedi", where the word is the same whether singular or plural. You guys just say it wrong :p

I mean think about it, what feels more comfortable saying, "Math" or "Mathhhhhsshshhshshshshsdklfajsdljkfdk oh dear I seem to have dropped my tea and crumpets."

Kria'thn Ki
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:46:25 AM
I would challenge you to call one of the new additions to the english language:

‘BOOTYLICIOUS POPSTRELS’

Queen’s English. Somehow it just doesn’t seem right :p

Though I always feel pompous using that term anyway :D

Thanks for the help and opinions everyone, nice to know others viewpoints.

imported_Eve
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:00:31 AM
Americans wanted to differentiate themselves from the English so they changed the language - back in the day. And it's okay, 'cause we're our own country now [/mom(not mum)talk].

Besides, we mostly understand each other.

Darth Viscera
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:09:47 AM
We changed the language somewhat to improve literacy rates-and it worked. That's worth sacrificing some armour over.

Droo
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:52:22 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Math, not maths. Math is always singular, sort of like "jedi", where the word is the same whether singular or plural. You guys just say it wrong :p

Actually, it makes more sense to call it maths as it is an abbreviation of mathematics. By saying math you're essentially calling the subject "mathematic". Besides, math is the religious ceremony attented by those with a lisp.

Garrett Blade
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:02:54 AM
LMAO! :)

It's not so much the spelling differences that get me, but the pronunciation.

Like, for vitamins we say vit-a-mins and Americans say Vai-ta-mins, and for schedule we say shed-yule and they say sked-yule.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:32:21 AM
... am I doing something wrong?

Nope! Just one of your little 'tells' :)

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:42:53 AM
Originally posted by Dru
Actually, it makes more sense to call it maths as it is an abbreviation of mathematics. By saying math you're essentially calling the subject "mathematic". Besides, math is the religious ceremony attented by those with a lisp.

lol! to me it would be like saying physic instead of physics

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:17:05 PM
Oh I'm sorry, do you put on pant? :)

We changed the language somewhat to improve literacy rates-and it worked. That's worth sacrificing some armour over.
So someone said "Our kids are dumb, let's make their wrong spellings right!"? What next, reinventing history?

...Oh yeah, you have Hollywood for that ;)

Darth Viscera
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:42:19 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
So someone said "Our kids are dumb, let's make their wrong spellings right!"? What next, reinventing history?

Well it worked, didn't it? 97% literacy in the USA, that's better than Israel.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:54:22 PM

Are your Spelling Bs (That's the name, right?) really easy then?)

"Spell 'Galactic'"
"Oh, I don't care. G-A-Z-E-L-L-E-A-R-R-I-F-F-I-C"
" *Changes what is on the paper* Meh, close enough"

;)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:59:15 PM
Oh, holy moly! :mneh

Its the difference in how we're taught whats right and whats wrong in our respective countries. We dont say "Oh no, you cant spell 'colour' that way!'.

Give it a rest, ppl :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:14:12 PM

Are you calling some of the crap seen on message boards by USA kids (and other kids... lets be fair) LITERACY???? Good grief, how low are the standards these days?

I think that the actual true rates are somewhat lower in all countries. Educational authorities have an interest in inflating the figures and there's little way they can be challenged. How is the Literacy rate defined, for one? When they can spell their name and read Cat in the Hat?

From what I've read lately on the subject, real literacy rates have dropped due to a change in teaching formats. Phonetics (as championed by Suess) has dropped out and replaced by some method I cant recall right now that doesnt really give a true understanding how to read.

I now dont care how colour is spelt. At least it's not 1337 or SMS.

Ace McCloud
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:32:58 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Are you calling some of the crap seen on message boards by USA kids (and other kids... lets be fair) LITERACY???? Good grief, how low are the standards these days?

"OMG WTF WTF1!!!shift + 1!!1 HWO ODL RU1/? OGM WTF WTF11! HAHA"

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:36:45 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Phonetics (as championed by Suess) has dropped out and replaced by some method I cant recall right now that doesnt really give a true understanding how to read.

"Whole Language" is the moniker for the non-phonetic based format of teaching. Most schools in the US seem to use some mixture of the two. I agree, though.. it doesn't work very well, IMO.

As Marcus said, I don't really care if you spell it 'color' or 'colour', or say 'math' or 'maths', or pronounce it 'shed-yule' or 'sked-yule.' Each is correct depending upon which dictionary you open. As long as one employs good grammar and makes oneself intelligible, I'm not going to complain too much.

Although... one of my pet peeves is the supposed word "Y'all." People whom use this should be given automatic 5 point demerits to their IQ results, just on principle. :mneh

imported_Darriann Sollak
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:37:02 PM
You want my to spell LMAO?

Sejah Haversh
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:39:46 PM
No, I want you to spell transmogrification without looking at it.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:03:44 PM
Although... one of my pet peeves is the supposed word "Y'all." People whom use this should be given automatic 5 point demerits to their IQ results, just on principle. :mneh

The South hates you too, you bastard. =p

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:04:44 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
The South hates you too, you bastard. =p

Tough cookies. :mneh

imported_Darriann Sollak
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:02:30 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
transmogrification without looking at it.

Transmogrification without looking at it.

Silus Xilarian
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:41:47 PM
The south doesnt like alotta y'all. :p

imported_Eve
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:14:25 PM
Hey Fig: Why don't y'all come on dayn?

LMAO R U azleep?

...sorry (I know it isn't me).

Charley
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:06:33 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'anAlthough... one of my pet peeves is the supposed word "Y'all." People whom use this should be given automatic 5 point demerits to their IQ results, just on principle. :mneh

Eat me

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:27:27 PM
It's a pet peeve, and I was joking. Relax.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:36:15 PM
as long as were on pet peeves, let me just say that i dont like it when people apologize to me repeatedly

and being called a commie just cause i dont like chocolate. or cheese. or donuts. or candy :rolleyes

Pierce Tondry
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:42:48 PM
OMG U COMMUNIST NAZI JEW@!!!!!

Yes, we have no seriousity. kthxgg

Charley
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:44:36 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
It's a pet peeve, and I was joking.

I know.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:56:06 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
as long as were on pet peeves, let me just say that i dont like it when people apologize to me repeatedly

Sorry.

Syriande Blue
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:23:20 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
OMG U COMMUNIST NAZI JEW@!!!!!

Yes, we have no seriousity. kthxgg

Nazi Jew? hmm....lol

Vhiran Crescent
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:29:00 PM

OMG OMG!!!! I R SRRY11!! SORRY 2U!1111 OMG WTF11! PLZ ACPT MY APOLLGY111!!1 OGM WTF WTF LOL

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:35:09 PM
Sorry.

i knew, i knew, i knew someone would do that :lol

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:42:37 PM
Sorry, too easy ;)

Alpha
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:55:16 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oh, holy moly! :mneh

Its the difference in how we're taught whats right and whats wrong in our respective countries. We dont say "Oh no, you cant spell 'colour' that way!'.

Give it a rest, ppl :)

Actually, some teachers in school nowadays jump on kids if they spell it the Brit way. ^_^ I speak from experience.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:57:54 PM
youd think the teachers would be surprised in the first place that these kids are doing that - considering the level of dumbtardedness thats in schools these days

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:07:21 PM
Originally posted by Alpha
Actually, some teachers in school nowadays jump on kids if they spell it the Brit way. ^_^ I speak from experience.

Then they should rise and say "Nein! For I can speak American, German UND English when I feel fit!". Or similar. Just to confuse em :)

Alpha
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:18:23 PM
lol. I know enough words in Japanese to confuse them enough, then I also say I know Australian, English and American. :D Oh, and I knopw Dumb-A** too, for those I need to insult. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:09:35 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
"OMG WTF WTF1!!!shift + 1!!1 HWO ODL RU1/? OGM WTF WTF11! HAHA"

Originally posted by Vhiran Crescent
OMG OMG!!!! I R SRRY11!! SORRY 2U!1111 OMG WTF11! PLZ ACPT MY APOLLGY111!!1 OGM WTF WTF LOL

Prepare to die, Nerd boys.

Ace McCloud
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:16:14 AM
OMG!! WTF!11!!! U MEEN BOY****11!! HAHA WTF LOL!!1! WE R SAME PERSON!!!11!! LOL LOL!11shift+11!eleven! I AM LITRATE11!

:lol :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:18:27 AM
:: The sound of things being stacked under Ace can be heard. ::

How do you like your TNT? Ignited under your bum all at once, or one stick at a time, so you get extra boost into orbit?

Sejah Haversh
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:20:49 AM
*Starts to buff Marcus's pan, ensuring that no previous panning residue would be on it to hamper near-future use.*

Ace McCloud
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:21:07 AM
HAHA1!!1 WUT U MEEN//!? WUT TTN? WUT CHANNEL TNT//!? OMG WTF WTF!! I LUV TNT11!!! HAHA LOL LOL11! SHIFT!

Figrin D'an
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:00:21 AM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
HAHA1!!1 WUT U MEEN//!? WUT TTN? WUT CHANNEL TNT//!? OMG WTF WTF!! I LUV TNT11!!! HAHA LOL LOL11! SHIFT!

Stop, or I'll ensure you'll never be promoted to Knight.... ever.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:12:31 AM
haha[/nelson]

Crystal
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:19:07 AM
trun off capluck duh dont ne1 here kno that

Hm.. When I make a fool of myself, I keep saying sorry. Which is most of the time.

Ace McCloud
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:16:34 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Stop, or I'll ensure you'll never be promoted to Knight.... ever.

lol, I'm done. I'll never get to knight anyway :smokin