View Full Version : NFL Playoff Picks: Conference Title Games

Figrin D'an
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:09:13 PM
The matchups:

AFC Championship

Indianapolis at New England -- Sun, Jan. 18th, 3 PM EST

NFC Championship

Carolina at Philadelphia -- Sun, Jan. 18th, 6:45 PM EST

Picks must be in by kickoff of the first game (ie. 3 PM EST on Sunday)

Figrin D'an
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:17:16 PM
Playoff Picks Standing

Daiquiri: 6-2
JMK: 6-2
jjwr: 6-2
Jedi Master Carr: 6-2
Figrin D'an: 6-2
Syo: 6-2
Nathanial K'cansce: 5-3
Jedieb: 6-2
ReaperFett: 5-3
Taylor Millard: 3-5
Ryan Pode: 3-5
--------------------------
Grev Drasen: 3-1

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:56:07 PM
If only I could have done as well in regular season :\

Colts

Panthers

JMK
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:00:35 PM
Pats

Panthers

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:41:20 PM
New England

Carolina

Syo
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:09:09 PM
colts
eagles

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:51:46 PM
Official Picks
Colts
and.....
Carolina!

Who I'd LIKE to win:
AFC Championship
Indianapolis at New England -- Sun, Jan. 18th, 3 PM EST
Oh, how I hate the Pats. Not as much as the Niners, but it's awful close. It's just one of those things. I may actually end up going with the Colts because I think they really can put some points up against NE. The Pats had that amazing goal line stand against them in Indy, but before that Manning and Co. had racked up over 30 points driven right up to that goal line. The right play call or a couple of pushes from a QB sneak and this game would be in Indy. Unlike the Rams, the Colts don't need turf for their offense to click. Just look at what they did on the grass at Arrowhead last week. I think they can easily put up 23-35 points this Sunday. The trick is, what we'll their pourous defense do? The smart money is on NE, but I'm probably going to go with the Colts because I just don't want any hint of a conflict while I'm watching this one.

NFC Championship
Carolina at Philadelphia -- Sun, Jan. 18th, 6:45 PM EST
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if either one of these team wins. I like the way the Panthers play D. Bobby Bouche Delhomme has had an amazing season. The Panthers will run up and down on the Eagles and Delhomme should be able to make a few plays down the field. Philly's greatest strengths are its blitz packages and what McNab can do when he breaks containment and throws on the move. Plus, if the Eagles make it to the Superbowl the intense media coverage is sure to make Limbaugh look like that much of a bigger idiot than he already has.

Official Picks
Colts
and.....
Dammit, how can I go with 2 road teams?! Has that ever even happened?! I'm going to hold off on this one until later in the week. I sooooo want to go with Carolina.....

CMJ
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:55:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Dammit, how can I go with 2 road teams?! Has that ever even happened?!

In '93 Buffalo beat Miami in Joe Robbie...and Dallas beat San Fran in Candlestick. It also happened I believe in the Championship Games before Super Bowl I.

Green Bay beat Dallas in the Cotton Bowl and KC beat Buffalo in Buffalo. That's how I remember it anyways.

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:59:53 PM
I knew Statboy would come to our rescue! :) I thought about the Bills/Dolphins game, but it didn't click that it happened the same year the Cowboys ripped Young's helmet off his head. Ah, the good ol' days.....

Figrin D'an
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:00:55 PM
Fig, I'm 6-2, not 5-3. You must have looked at the first part of my post. My official picks are further down in the same post.

Correction noted.

A general comment for everyone... it would help if you would only make one listing of the teams in your post. I'd prefer to not have to sort through an entire commentary post to determine who you're picking to win on any given weekend.

CMJ
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:02:04 PM
I knew Statboy would come to our rescue! :)

Anytime, anytime. ;)

JMK
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:08:43 PM
Hey you rotten S.O.B.'s, don't ever mention the Bills beating the Dolphins again! Especially not in the playoffs! :headbash

;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:45:12 PM
Pats
Eagles

jjwr
Jan 14th, 2004, 06:27:12 AM
My Picks with more comments to come later...

Pats
Eagles

Ryan Pode
Jan 14th, 2004, 06:56:43 PM
My picks:

Patriots
Panthers

jjwr
Jan 15th, 2004, 08:54:31 AM
Ooh Ryan, I was actually thinking this morning to change my pick to the Panthers, and I still may.

Now a bit of analysis on the Pats game.

For starters the thing everyone is talking about is the Patrios Defense vs the Colts Offense. Manning has been on fire this playoff season and its unreasonable to expect the Patriots to totally shut them down, hold them down yes, but not shut them down. I truly believe the Patriots have one of the best secondaries in the league, with 3 players who could easily be Pro Bowlers.

The problems will come if the Pats can't get to Manning, the D will do some blitzing and if Manning can find the open man it could be trouble, problem is he has been finding that man so thats definetly some to look out for.

What could be the decider though is the Pats offense vs the Colts Defense. In their last game the Pats were up 31-10 when things started falling apart, some poor play calling and a few bad breaks and turn-overs by the Pats offense gave the Colts the ball a number of times in short field position and they scored the points to tie the game.

In the Bills vs Giants Superbowl one of the first things Parcells told to his coaching staff was to shorten the game to keep the high powered Bills offense off the field. Look for the Pats to come out running and spreading the ball around with short passes to the sidelines and quick crossing routes. If the Patriots can hold the ball and sustain some long drives then the Defense will be rested and will only need to stop the Colts a few times to have a good shot at this.

That being said the Colts could come out firing and Manning could drop 40 on the Pats. I don't think they will get that many but with the way these guys have been playing you can't discount that. Manning is just incredible, simple as that.

My prediction, Patriots 31 Colts 17

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2004, 01:16:40 PM
What is the weather going to be like? I know it is still terribly cold up there if it stays that way I think it would effect the Colts offense the most.

JMK
Jan 15th, 2004, 01:58:27 PM
I read that it's supposed to be -21°c (about -5,-6 degrees fahrenheit if my math is right), plus wind chill it would be more like -35°c, not quite sure what that is in fahrenheit, probably like
-30 or something. Either way its freaking cold.

Ryan Pode
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:05:05 PM
10 degrees F at kick off with a windchill of about -5. By the end of the game, expect it be below zero.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:22:40 PM
That is cold, I can't see the Colts winning in that kind of weather.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2004, 07:11:56 AM
I don't think its supposed to be that cold, I've been hearing in the 20's with the temp dropping through the game with possible snow.

They're lucky this weather thats here now isn't the same as game time, up here in VT it was -26F when I went to work, that was in the -40's with teh wind chill taken into account. This morning it was a balmy -10F but much colder wind.

Course its colder in VT then in Mass but its still in the negatives with warnings for wind, that would be a hard game to play in for anyone.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2004, 09:00:08 AM
I hear ya jjwr, it's that cold up here too. I played hockey outdoors a couple days this week and even with 2 thick sweaters on it does not help unless you're constantly moving. Once you slow down and begin to think about the cold you're dead meat. :lol

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 16th, 2004, 10:04:25 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Hey you rotten S.O.B.'s, don't ever mention the Bills beating the Dolphins again! Especially not in the playoffs! :headbash

;)

Face it, it happened. T'is best to let it go than to be angry about it. :p ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:09:08 PM
Originally posted by jjwr
I don't think its supposed to be that cold, I've been hearing in the 20's with the temp dropping through the game with possible snow.

They're lucky this weather thats here now isn't the same as game time, up here in VT it was -26F when I went to work, that was in the -40's with teh wind chill taken into account. This morning it was a balmy -10F but much colder wind.

Course its colder in VT then in Mass but its still in the negatives with warnings for wind, that would be a hard game to play in for anyone.

Still that is cold and if it snows that really destroys the Colt's offense IMO.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:18:29 PM
I hear ya JMK, best thing to do is think warm thoughts and get inside as quickly as possible. THe 100ft walk from the parking garage to the door froze the right half of my face this morning, awefull stuff.

Still that is cold and if it snows that really destroys the Colt's offense IMO.

Regardless its definetly going to be colder than the Colts are used to, even 20-25 degrees will be tough on them and if you throw some snow in the Pats should definetly have the advantage.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:25:25 PM
I agree with you there.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2004, 06:05:40 PM
I've made up my mind to go with the roadies. I think the Colts will be able to play in that kind of weather. They may rely on Edge more than they have these first 2 playoffs games, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If he gets going early then that'll make Manning's great play action fakes even more effective. The weather was suppose to effect Tenn. last week and they were just as effective on offense as the Pats.

I keep looking at the Panthers and I keep thinking that they match up well with the Eagles. Even without Davis, they can run the ball against Philly's weak run D. Their front 4 will be able to do what GB did last week with 5, sometimes 6 rushers. Which means the Panthers will have as many as 7 guys to deal with McNab when he gets past the line of scrimmage. He's not going to run for over 100 yards against this defense. Delhomme is playing as well as he has all years and Smith and Muhammed are playing better than I've seen them all year. I think Philly impersonates my beloved Danny White led Cowboys and loses a 3rd straight NFC championship game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2004, 10:06:26 PM
Yeah but NE has one of the best rushing defenses in the NFL I just don't see the Colts winning in that kind of weather, high scoring teams have traditionally done poorly in the cold and snow. I just don't see that changing here. The other game could go either way although I think the Eagles will some how pull another one out.

Mu Satach
Jan 16th, 2004, 10:22:22 PM
Oh what the frak...

Colts & Panthers...

My friend is from Indiana and swears it's cold as hell, so whether I want to watch the game or not... This sunday will be a football sunday at my house.... with much screaming and shouting.

Though last weekend I did enjoy the shoe coming off and the ref that got tackled... :D

Taylor Millard
Jan 17th, 2004, 10:13:47 AM
New England

Carolina

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:45:22 PM
New England
Carolina

Figrin D'an
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:46:26 PM
AFC Championship

Indianapolis (W) at New England

NFC Championship

Carolina (W) at Philadelphia

The year of the road teams continues.

New England's defense will keep the scoring down, but they won't shut down Manning and Co. completely. I won't be surprised if it comes down to the kickers... both are among the best around. Viniteri probably has the advantage if there's snow on the ground, but Vanderjagt has made those kind of kicks before, too. Indy is the hot team, and New England, for as good as they have been this season, is due for a loss. 3 point difference in this one, with a field goal deciding it late.

Carolina's defense will give the Eagles offense nightmares. If the Packers defense was able to sack McNabb 8 times, I can't immagine what the Carolina front four will do. The difference is... Green Bay needed to bring extra people to get pressure, leaving the field wide open for McNabb to run. Carolina gets pressure without bringing a lot of blitzes. The linebackers will be able to play the soft middle, and hold down McNabb's gains with his feet. Do that, and the Eagles are toast. The Eagles defense may get lucky, and get a couple of turnovers to keep them in the game, but the only way they'll win is if Carolina does what Green Bay did last week and give the game away. Delhomme is playing very well right now, and Steve Smith will make some big plays. Even if Steven Davis doesn't play, DeShaun Foster will move the ball enough on the ground to make it a factor. Panthers by 7.

jjwr
Jan 17th, 2004, 06:19:33 PM
Everyone says Colts are the hot team....Pats have won 13 straight games and given up like 32 points in their last 7 home games. I think the game could go either way but a lot of people are shorting the Pats I think.

Titans ran off their mouths after the loss and the Colts were running theirs after the first 2 games, the Pats will use that and it could easily fuel their players into the win.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2004, 09:35:23 PM
Yeah and I disagree with you about Vanderjet he doesn't kick outdoors much and if it snows he will miss some FGS. Actually I think Vinetary is the better kicker to me he is the best kicker in the NFL. I still say Eagles vs Pats SB.

JMK
Jan 18th, 2004, 12:53:21 PM
I don't think trash talk will help at all. These are the conference championchip games. If you need to look at a quote taped to the wall to get fired up for this game you don't deserve to win IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:15:00 PM
well if you trash talk too much I think it does hurt your team not sure if that is going on here.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:19:15 PM
It is snow in foxboro right now we might get another snow game, I think that will hurt the Colt's offense a lot.

JMK
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:20:23 PM
So what did you all think of that game?

Personally I saw the best coached team in football do barely enough to win the game and the most explosive offense in the league choke away a few great opportunities to make it closer sooner in the game. I give all the credit in the world to the Pats because this is what they always do but I do see weaknesses there. Nevertheless they are still my pick to win the SB regardless of who wins the NFC game.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:36:58 PM
The Colts definately made some unforced mistakes. After playing nearly perfect on offense the last two weeks, the errors seemed to finally catch up to them.

New England should beat either Philly or Carolina so long as they play their game. Carolina may have a better defense than most, but Philly is a very average team, IMO, and neither has a lot of big play ability (save for perhaps Steve Smith for the Panthers).

Mu Satach
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:08:37 PM
I didn't think the Colts offense would have done as poorly as they did.

*sigh* It just got down right depressing.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:48:14 PM
Well, the matchup is set:

Super Bowl XXXVIII - Carolina Panthers vs. New England Patriots

Opening line is Pats by 7.

Ryan Pode
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:53:39 PM
Can the Pats beat anyone in the playoffs by more than 7? Nope.

Glad the Colts got what they deserved.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:56:39 PM
Philadelphia is the first team to lose back-to-back conference title games at home, and joins an infamous list of those teams to have lost three consecutive championship games.

They're gonna lose a lot of people, too. They'll be done with Super Bowl shots for a while.

JMK
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:06:54 PM
The Eagles looked horrible all night long. I wouldn't want to be a part of that team right now. Tomorrow morning is going to be very very rough.

What a job by the Panthers though. I wonder just how much that injury had affected McNabb. I guess enough to get him out of the game, but I also suspect that the QB change was coming anyway, just to shake things up.

Mu Satach
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:14:09 PM
I am so looking forward to the SuperBowl this year. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:18:02 PM
I say the Pats win their defense is too good and they are the best team this season. Also I wonder how that 2 week is going to effect the teams? With Bellicheck I don't see the Patriots going wrong but the young Panthers who have never been there might overprepare, usually most SB that have a bye week are blowouts I guess we will find out this year.

JMK
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:21:28 PM
I'm going Pats all the way on this one, as much as it might kill me.
They are just too well prepared and too well coached. They're exactly like a machine and they execute seemingly perfectly every snap.

jjwr
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:25:16 PM
My wife isn't a huge football fan but she went with me down to a Pats game earlier this year and has watched the Playoffs with me, a few times during this game I commented to her that the Pats never make it easy, they could have put this game away in the 3rd quarter and had they scored when they should have been up by roughly 35-7 going into the fourth but instead they let the Colts stay in it enough to make it interesting.

One blowout win this year(Bills 31-0 at the end). I would really like to see them blow someone out at some point, but that being said they've done this all the time and always seem to come out on top.

I can't see Carolina beating them, the Pats will put enough in the box to stop their running game and Belechiks defense will eat Delhomme alive.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:40:07 PM
One blowout win this year(Bills 31-0 at the end). I would really like to see them blow someone out at some point, but that being said they've done this all the time and always seem to come out on top.

Beggars can't be choosers, dude. At least your team is in the Super Bowl... twice in three years, with one win under their belts already, is pretty good if you ask me. :mneh

JMK
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:50:27 PM
I'd trade 8 blowouts for the type of winning streak the Pats are on.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:53:07 PM
Yeah KC had a lot of blowouts (at least 6) didn't do them a lot of good.

jjwr
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:09:52 AM
Oh I know guys, I'm not complaining :)

Its just funny how this team always keeps them close and can't seem to just put the game away and make it easy.

JMK
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:14:37 AM
Even when teams are knocking on their door the Pats seem to remain calm and then force a bad play in the red zone. It happens all the time or at least it seems like it does.

CMJ
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:16:50 AM
Oh I know guys, I'm not complaining :)

Its just funny how this team always keeps them close and can't seem to just put the game away and make it easy.

Think Ohio State. :cool

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:45:18 PM
The last Super Bowl I got excited about was when my 9ers were in it :\

I like the Patriots a lot but Im really leaning toward Carolina. Theyre young but theyre hungry >D

ReaperFett
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:52:52 PM
Scores?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:48:44 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
The last Super Bowl I got excited about was when my 9ers were in it :\

I like the Patriots a lot but Im really leaning toward Carolina. Theyre young but theyre hungry >D

Yeah but their is that two week deal which I think will hurt the Panthers the most, it is hard to sit around an extra week before the biggest game of your life. I think it will effect him. I am kind of leaning towards blow out because of this. (I don't know the stats but just about ever extra week before the SB the game has been a blowout) To me this looks like the Atlanta Falcons vs the Denver Broncos again (which I think had the same deal) but that is just my opinion.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:07:06 PM
In other NFL news the Chiefs brought back their old defense cordinator and former head coach (before Vermeil) Gunther Cunningham as Defense cordinator.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/7756164.htm?ERIGHTS=1366791632401051405kansascity: :jedimcarr@hotmail.com&KRD_RM=3mjmrlrmpsmrrnjjjjjjjjjjkm|Layton|Y

I am very happy with this move the guy is a great coach and he brought a lot to the defense when he was there. He is way more aggressive than Robinson and that might be what the defense needs besides a few players.